PDA

View Full Version : Steelers v. Niners Super Bowl odds

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Going to Vegas this weekend (in fact, I'll be there watching the Browns game), thinking of putting my money where my mouth is regarding the Packers and Patriots' defenses not being Super Bowl worthy.

Can you bet on Super Bowl match ups, or do I have to place three separate bets: Steelers AFC Champ, Niners NFC Champ, Steelers SB Champ.

Discipline of Steel
12-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I hope so, it would be a great game. and in Goodell's FACE.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I like the Niners run game and their defense, but I don't see Alex Smith being a Super Bowl calibre QB (the SF D is good, but it is not Baltimore 2000 level good or Tampa 2002 level good, where it is able to carry the likes of a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson). Sure, he's not making mistakes that cost his team games (but then again, neither is Tebow, but that doesn't make him a Super Bowl QB...there is a big difference come playoff time). Everyone is comparing Jim Harbaugh's first team to Cowher's early teams...good enough defense and run game to contend...but not a good enough QB to make the Super Bowl...the Niners seem destined to lose in the conference championship game like so many of our 90's Steelers teams did.

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Smith has a QB rating of 95. Dilfer was 76 in 2000. The longer they frustrate Rodgers, the better chance at him making a mistake. They're used to cruising to big leads.

It would be a very interesting matchup.

Of course, with the Packers' luck, Smith will probably get injured before they meet.

Shoe
12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Going to Vegas this weekend (in fact, I'll be there watching the Browns game)...

Yeah, baby! Always love to hear people going to Vegas... lets me live vicariously through them. Where you staying? What's the occasion?

msp26505
12-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Where you staying? What's the occasion?

Wouldn't that information have to stay in Vegas?

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Going to Vegas this weekend (in fact, I'll be there watching the Browns game)...

Yeah, baby! Always love to hear people going to Vegas... lets me live vicariously through them. Where you staying? What's the occasion?

Staying at the Venetian. Occasion is a bunch of 40-something college buddies doing a long weekend, just because we can.

:Cheers

Best part is, we're all watching the game together tomorrow. Two Browns fans, one Bengals, and me.

ramblinjim
12-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh, I'm a little jealous. Please give a toast to your almost 40 something Steeler bretheren while you and the boys are out committing acts of debauchery. :mrgreen:

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Need to take my Terrible Towel and try to get a pic on http://towelaroundtheworld.com

Hope I don't pack my Sham-Wow by mistake.

flippy
12-07-2011, 01:17 PM
The team with D, running game, and has to carry a young inexperienced QB is Houston with Yates. It's not going to be Smith/49ers or Tebow/Broncos.

It is going to come down to best QB in a lot of matchups. The teams that might beat GB are NO, Dallas, or GB.

I'm thinking it could come down to Ben vs Romo in the SuperBowl even though the NFL seems to want Brady vs Rodgers.

Oviedo
12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Going to Vegas this weekend (in fact, I'll be there watching the Browns game), thinking of putting my money where my mouth is regarding the Packers and Patriots' defenses not being Super Bowl worthy.

Can you bet on Super Bowl match ups, or do I have to place three separate bets: Steelers AFC Champ, Niners NFC Champ, Steelers SB Champ.

The Packers' defense is much better than you give them credit for. The 49ers will never get past the Packers and I think a rematch from last year's Super Bowl is a high probability.

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 01:41 PM

The Packers' defense is much better than you give them credit for. The 49ers will never get past the Packers and I think a rematch from last year's Super Bowl is a high probability.

They have some star players, but the numbers say they aren't very good. Same with a couple of years ago, when they were near the bottom of the league.

The difference this year is that Rodgers is playing near perfect football. He's had one game with a QB rating under 110, and it was still over 100.

Doogie36
12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
i would just bet on us to win the superbowl! why even put a NFC team in the mix? Packers will be heavily favored to win the Superbowl and I want a rematch again those fools! I want to be the team to beat Rodgers! That will still be a good payout for you if you bet the Steelers to win it all!

you can even throw a few bucks on the Niners to win the NFC championship and if either happen for you then you will still be AHEAD!!!!!!!!!! why let 1 team be the reason you lose a bet when you can bet seperately and still be ahead?

Slapstick
12-07-2011, 04:32 PM
The Packers have been dependent upon mistakes by the opposing team as much as Rodgers' arm...

The Steelers had three TOs in the SB, one of them leading to a defensive TD which was the difference in the game...

Eli Manning threw a pick 6 in Sunday's game, which the Pack won by a field goal...

The Saints gave up a KO return in week one...they also could not score a TD from the 1 yard line...(Packers won by 8)

Week two: Cam Newton gets tackled short of the 1st down marker at the Packers' 6 yard line...Rodgers hits Nelson on an 86 yard TD pass shortly afterward...(Packers won by 7)

Week seven: Christian Ponder throws INTs to Charles Woodson on consecutive possessions and cannot complete a pass in the 3rd quarter...(Packers won by 7)

There are other examples, but those are particularly notable. The Packers are mortal, but they are on the razor's edge. A QB who is careful with the ball and a good defense could stymie them...

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
The teams that might beat GB are NO, Dallas, or GB.

I predict that Green Bay beats Green Bay. :wink:

7 UP
12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Saints are really coming on. Saints are better than San Fran in my opinion. If you want to pick against the Pack, Id take the Saints.

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Saints are really coming on. Saints are better than San Fran in my opinion. If you want to pick against the Pack, Id take the Saints.

Not in January in Lambeau. They're a soft dome team that's never won an outdoor playoff game.

fezziwig
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Where you staying? What's the occasion?

Wouldn't that information have to stay in Vegas?

Love this photo of the six Super Bowl trophys. To me they kind of look regal sitting there or looking down their nose at the rest of the NFL.

fordfixer
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Need to take my Terrible Towel and try to get a pic on http://towelaroundtheworld.com

Hope I don't pack my Sham-Wow by mistake.
You can post those pic's here also :tt1 :tt1
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17726 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17726)

SteelCrazy
12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
<------this guy is jealous

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/hang.jpg
Have fun and dont forget to steal a cop car

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-08-2011, 12:26 AM

Not in January in Lambeau. They're a soft dome team that's never won an outdoor playoff game.

Agreed. If the weather is true GB weather then I would pick the Falcons to go into Lambeau ahead of New Orleans. The Falcons have been awful but if they can dial up one game then I think that they'd have a batter shot at taking them down.

WindyCitySteel
12-12-2011, 01:09 AM
The towel rocked Vegas. I'll get some pictures uploaded to http://towelaroundtheworld tomorrow.

Great weekend. Steeler game rocked. Ben is the ultimate warrior. He may have just won the Super Bowl with that balls out performance. That team is 100% behind him now.

And I'm souring on my hate for Green Bay. I don't see anyone in the NFC beating them now.

That is our job, and we're up to it.

:Beer