PDA

View Full Version : Steelers using same game plan vs Browns used against Bengals

SteelCrazy
12-07-2011, 07:24 AM
PITTSBURGH - With only a couple of days to prepare for a game Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field, the Steelers didn't worry about coming up with a new offensive game plan.
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is keeping the one from the 35-7 win Sunday over Cincinnati - with only a few adjustments.

"The game plan is very similar to last week," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. "But having an experienced group and a quarterback, we can do the no-huddle. And I think Bruce is comfortable that we're going to use the no-huddle in this game. That can help because you don't have to put in too much."

The Steelers (9-3) didn't use much of the no-huddle offense against the Bengals. A 28-7 halftime lead allowed Steelers to run the ball on 33 of 59 offensive plays.

Increased reliance on the running game has been a trend over the past three games. While the Steelers are passing the ball on 57 percent of their offensive plays, the attack has had more of an even split over the last three games, with Pittsburgh running the ball 51 percent of the time.
"That's the way we'd like to be," said Arians. "Each game kind of brings a different set of circumstances. This past one, we had a good lead. There was no need to throw the ball, other than to try to get Hines (Ward) some catches - and they double-covered him. Hopefully, we have some more like that."

The Steelers should be able to run against the Browns (4-8), who rank first in the league against the pass (173.3 yards per game) but 31st against the run, giving up 151.3 yards.

"Every time we play a team that's ranked low in the rushing and high in the passing, we end up throwing the ball more," Arians said. "It's kind of crazy."

But with two rookie starters on the defensive line - end Jabaal Sheard of Pitt and defensive tackle Phil Taylor - the Browns have been susceptible to big rushing days. Despite being eighth in the NFL in total defense, in the past five games the Browns have given up 1,098 yards rushing, including 290 to Baltimore Sunday.

"It's probably because they're young," Arians said. "They're big and they're active. Because they're learning a new scheme, going from a two-gap 3-4 to one-gap 4-3, it's hard on some young offensive linemen. I think they're going to be really good. They're ranked very highly as a defense, but they have given up some rushing yards."

Arians also would like to work at getting Ward the 10 pass receptions he needs to reach 1,000 for his career - as long as he can do it in the context of winning games.

"I want to see him get it. But it's not something we can force," Arians said. "It's not like you can hand it to him and they count. We all want to see that happen, but it's not going to be something we force to happen.

"We've been together for so long, it's hugely important to me personally."

Odds and end zones

Reserve nose tackle Chris Hoke will have season-ending surgery next week to repair a nerve problem in his neck. ... Arians said wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) is unlikely to play Thursday. ... In a statistical anomaly, the Steelers can clinch a playoff spot this weekend, while the Ravens, who own the same record and a sweep of Pittsburgh, cannot. The Steelers need a win coupled with a loss by Cincinnati and various combinations of losses by the New York Jets, Tennessee, Denver and Oakland to clinch. The Ravens cannot clinch a playoff berth because they still have a game remaining with Cincinnati Jan. 1.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/spo ... ng-balance (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/12-07-2011-Steelers-running-balance)

I'll believe it when I see it. Bruce loses all the fun he's having when Ben takes the reins.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-07-2011, 07:40 AM
PITTSBURGH - With only a couple of days to prepare for a game Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field, the Steelers didn't worry about coming up with a new offensive game plan.
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is keeping the one from the 35-7 win Sunday over Cincinnati - with only a few adjustments.

"The game plan is very similar to last week," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. "But having an experienced group and a quarterback, we can do the no-huddle. And I think Bruce is comfortable that we're going to use the no-huddle in this game. That can help because you don't have to put in too much." ...

"Every time we play a team that's ranked low in the rushing and high in the passing, we end up throwing the ball more," Arians said. "It's kind of crazy." ......

That's crazy, that we are broadcasting our game plan for the Browns to see. They're professional players, with professional coaches, and I sure hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

Schizoid Bruce - what he has multiple personalities? He's talking like he's a 3rd person critiqueing (and negatively criticisizing) his own play calling!

SteelCrazy
12-07-2011, 07:48 AM

"The game plan is very similar to last week," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. "But having an experienced group and a quarterback, we can do the no-huddle. And I think Bruce is comfortable that we're going to use the no-huddle in this game. That can help because you don't have to put in too much." ...

"Every time we play a team that's ranked low in the rushing and high in the passing, we end up throwing the ball more," Arians said. "It's kind of crazy." ......

That's crazy, that we are broadcasting our game plan for the Browns to see. They're professional players, with professional coaches, and I sure hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

Schizoid Bruce - what he has multiple personalities? He's talking like he's a 3rd person critiqueing (and negatively criticisizing) his own play calling!

He makes me want to choke him on game days and when he speaks during the week. I think I need to start Yoga classes.

flippy
12-07-2011, 07:56 AM
He could be lying.

SteelCrazy
12-07-2011, 08:03 AM
He could be lying.

He is lying....They'll use the exact game plan without any adjustments.

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 08:40 AM
He could be lying.

That made me laugh.

This doesn't mean we'll see the exact same play calling sequence. t doubt every game plan ends with an exhausted playbook after 60 minutes.

I'd rather see this than installing some intricate new plan and only practicing it for a day or two.

The Browns can't stop the run and are on a short week - pound them with Mendy and Redman until they tap out.

Discipline of Steel
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
"Every time we play a team that's ranked low in the rushing and high in the passing, we end up throwing the ball more," Arians said. "It's kind of crazy."

This is where BA is at his most retarded and he even recognizes it. Lets hope they get back to Steeler football and pound the rock. :D

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 09:57 AM

This is where BA is at his most retarded and he even recognizes it. Lets hope they get back to Steeler football and pound the rock. :D

I missed that quote, but yeah, not sure how his defenders can show their faces. We played the same kind of Cleveland squad in 2009, 40 MPH winds, and Rain Man throws the ball all game. He should have been summarily fired after that one.

He's about as clueless as they come.

Northern_Blitz
12-07-2011, 11:38 AM

I missed that quote, but yeah, not sure how his defenders can show their faces. We played the same kind of Cleveland squad in 2009, 40 MPH winds, and Rain Man throws the ball all game. He should have been summarily fired after that one.

I'd have to check out the actual games he's referring to, but it is possible that this is good coaching. In these games, it may be that passing was working better for us on that day. So, instead of sticking with a preconceived notion that we should run all day, we do what's working.

We also have a $100M QB, a great set of receivers, and a starting RB who many here constantly say isn't good enough. Maybe playing our strength isn't a bad thing...especially if it's working or it's what the situation or score dictates.

feltdizz
12-07-2011, 11:45 AM

That's why Ben and the offense wear helmets and the elder Rooney moved to Ireland :lol:

BA wasn't fired... and he will probably be rehired next year too. Face it guys... the guy you hate is loved and coveted by the Steelers brass.

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
[quote=SteelCrazy]"Every time we play a team that's ranked low in the rushing and high in the passing, we end up throwing the ball more," Arians said. "It's kind of crazy."

I'd have to check out the actual games he's referring to, but it is possible that this is good coaching. In these games, it may be that passing was working better for us on that day. So, instead of sticking with a preconceived notion that we should run all day, we do what's working.

We also have a $100M QB, a great set of receivers, and a starting RB who many here constantly say isn't good enough. Maybe playing our strength isn't a bad thing...especially if it's working or it's what the situation or score dictates.[/quote:2hd2l0dl]

I distinctly remember the first two drives ending 3rd and short after two successful runs, Ben in empty set, sack.

The tone was set from there. That's the biggest problem I have with Arians. He makes run/pass downs pass only, making the defense's job that much easier.

Oviedo
12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
He could be lying.

I don't care what plan they use as long as they execute to a high level of proficiency.

Does anyone relaly think they significantly change what they do week to week. It is all about execution and that's what determines whether one week is better than another.

Old Army saying, "The best plan doesn't survive first contact with the enemy."

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
He could be lying.

I don't care what plan they use as long as they execute to a high level of proficiency.

Does anyone relaly think they significantly change what they do week to week. It is all about execution and that's what determines whether one week is better than another.

Some game plans are sheer folly depending on opponent. If we line up and try to run on Baltimore, and consistently put Ben in long yardage, I blame the plan more than the execution.

You have to know what your players are capable of executing against a particular opponent.

NorthCoast
12-07-2011, 01:38 PM
He could be lying.

I have read these comments about "if we execute we win easily" throughout BA's reign. The fact is, when a defense knows what play is coming, it makes it all the more difficult to "execute".....don't you get this?? Predictability is one of Arians' biggest flaws and it is also exactly why the no-huddle works so well...because that kind of offense is not as predictable.
Plus, Arians seems to have real difficulty in devising plays that create mismatches with the defense. How often have we heard him comment: "we dont change plays based on who is in the game"....to me, this is the pinnacle of lazy coaching because it takes a hell of a lot more effort to watch tape and design novel plays.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
He could be lying.

I have read these comments about "if we execute we win easily" throughout BA's reign. The fact is, when a defense knows what play is coming, it makes it all the more difficult to "execute".....don't you get this?? Predictability is one of Arians' biggest flaws and it is also exactly why the no-huddle works so well...because that kind of offense is not as predictable.
Plus, Arians seems to have real difficulty in devising plays that create mismatches with the defense. How often have we heard him comment: "we dont change plays based on who is in the game"....to me, this is the pinnacle of lazy coaching because it takes a hell of a lot more effort to watch tape and design novel plays.

"Lazy coaching"...you hit the nail right on the head. Add "stupid" to the description.
Out of laziness, you just put in the same game plan as you had for the last game; then out of stupidity, you announce that to your next opponent. :HeadBanger

Fire this clown already!

feltdizz
12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
The only thing stupid is believing anything a coach say to the media about the game plan for next week.

Mel Blount's G
12-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Steelers using same game plan vs Browns used against Bengals
You mean "Knock their d!cks in the dirt and win big"? That game plan?
:brownssuck

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
The only thing stupid is believing anything a coach say to the media about the game plan for next week.

Good point, but given Brucie's history, he's probably telling the truth.

Slapstick
12-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I distinctly remember the first two drives ending 3rd and short after two successful runs, Ben in empty set, sack.

The tone was set from there. That's the biggest problem I have with Arians. He makes run/pass downs pass only, making the defense's job that much easier.

We didn't have Redman then...Redman is a $ short yardage back.

In 2011, he averages 3.0 YpC in 2nd and 3 or less. He averages 3.5 YpC in 3rd and 3 or less. His numbers were similar (or even better) in 2010. He's earned more opportunities this year and has had similar success...

He has carried the ball only 8 times on 3rd down this year, but has converted 7 of them...

Last year, he carried the ball 18 times on 3rd down and converted 12-of-18

pittpete
12-07-2011, 06:47 PM
missed that quote, but yeah, not sure how his defenders can show their faces. We played the same kind of Cleveland squad in 2009, 40 MPH winds, and Rain Man throws the ball all game. He should have been summarily fired after that one.

I think Bruce might have had the crack pipe out on that night.
That was a horrendous ,sickening gameplan that night that of course the team didnt execute properly :roll:

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 08:11 PM

We didn't have Redman then...Redman is a $ short yardage back.

In 2011, he averages 3.0 YpC in 2nd and 3 or less. He averages 3.5 YpC in 3rd and 3 or less. His numbers were similar (or even better) in 2010. He's earned more opportunities this year and has had similar success...

He has carried the ball only 8 times on 3rd down this year, but has converted 7 of them...

Last year, he carried the ball 18 times on 3rd down and converted 12-of-18

So at least keep Mendy in to give the threat of a run, or to dump off the ball, or to pick up the blitz.

He telegraphed pass on 3rd and 1. Stupid.

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Former Pitt standout has Tomlin's attention

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 8, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-12-07/1209SheardInsideAP-a.jpg

Browns rookie DE Jabbal Sheard has put up some impressive numbers this season, including a league-leading five forced fumbles.

CLEVELAND On Monday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin lavishly praised rookie defensive end Jabaal Sheard, a Pitt product who quickly settled in as a starter for a revamped Cleveland Browns defense.

Tomlin challenged rookie offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert to be ready when he squares up against Sheard on Thursday night at Heinz Field.

"We have to do a good job against Sheard," Tomlin said. "It's going to be a big challenge for Marcus Gilbert, one that he better quickly establish himself with because if he's going to continue to be our right tackle, he's going to continue to see Sheard."

Tomlin, though, didn't expect the former Panther to line up opposite the Steelers' offensive front when the AFC North rivals meet for the first time this season. At best, he predicted Sheard's NFL future depended greatly on his commitment to special teams.

"If what Tomlin said added any extra fuel to Jabaal's tank, I'm glad he said it," Cleveland linebacker D'Quell Jackson said. "There's a lot of pressure on a rookie who starts, but he's handled it well."

It didn't take long for Sheard to prove Tomlin wrong. The 6-2, 255-pounder earned the starting job midway through training camp.

So far, Sheard has been overshadowed by rookie quarterbacks Cam Newton and Andy Dalton. He isn't a likely candidate for rookie of the year, but he's put together some impressive numbers: a league-leading five forced fumbles and is second among rookies with 5.5 sacks.

"It's not just about the sacks," Tomlin said. "The guy is consistently providing pressure and breaking down the right side of pockets, affecting throws that are made to that side of the field."

Of course, Tomlin didn't envision Sheard having an immediate impact. Actually, neither did Sheard.

"When I got here, I thought maybe (Tomlin) was right," said Sheard, who the Browns selected with the 37th overall pick. "I had no idea I was going to start. I was hoping to get a chance to play special teams since he said that would be the biggest part of my game."

Instead, Sheard has proven to be a perfect fit for the Browns, especially after first-year coach Pat Shurmur dumped the 3-4 for the 4-3 defense.

"Coach (Dave) Wannstedt ran the same kind of defense at Pitt," Sheard said. "It was the biggest part of my progress having played in that defense before.

"If I played linebacker in the 3-4, I'd be lost. We ran the same kind of stunts at Pitt, but in the end football is football."

The Browns made more deals than a stock broker on draft day in an effort to rebuild their defense. They snatched up defensive tackle Phil Taylor in the first round, and didn't hesitate in taking Sheard off the draft board in the second.

The Browns had the 22nd-ranked defense in the league last season. Even though they are sometimes vulnerable against the run, the Browns are eighth in total defense.

"For what Cleveland is trying accomplishing after switching over from their traditional 3-4, taking guys from a 4-3 set, Sheard brought a lot of natural skills set to the Browns," Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks said. "He's been able to fine-tune things and he's learned a few tricks."

Still, the Browns have struggled this season after getting off to a 2-1 start. They haven't yet figured out how to win games that have been there for the taking.

With Sheard and Taylor, Jackson is convinced the Browns are destined to narrow the competitive gap with their division foes -- including playoff contenders Baltimore (9-3) and Cincinnat (7-5).

"Jabaal is one of those players who knows what to do, but he does things you can't coach," Jackson said. "I didn't know what to expect when he came in, but he's playing above his years.

"What separates him from a lot of rookies is that he can rush the passer and play the run. Usually, with young guys, you get one or the other."

Admittedly, Sheard struggled some at the start of training camp. But he grasped the complex defensive terminology despite missing mini-camp and off-season drills that were wiped out by the lockout.

"Sometimes, I'm still a little nervous out there," he said. "I think after the Indianapolis game (27-19 victory) my confidence soared after I made a few plays. Everybody kept telling me I could play, and that boost my confidence."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1fusjARJt (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_770943.html#ixzz1fusjARJt)