PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hoke has Neck surgery season over....maybe career

steelerkeylargo
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11340/1194964-100.stm

Eddie Spaghetti
12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
congratulations to hokey on a fine career in the black and gold.

this guy did the right way on and off the field.

SteelBucks
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I was wondering why he was inactive yet not listed on the injury report. Guess I got my answer.

Ghost
12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
One of the best "lunch pail" guys ever. Came to work, put in an honest days work without complaining and was a great teammate. Will be sorry to see him go.

Steelers>NFL
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
One of the best "lunch pail" guys ever. Came to work, put in an honest days work without complaining and was a great teammate. Will be sorry to see him go.

This X2 :Beer :tt2 :Bow

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2011, 04:39 PM

This X2 :Beer :tt2 :Bow

and I'll 3x that motion... :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

when asked about his 16-1 record as a starter, Chris Hoke had this reply:

"I have a real easy explanation for that [16-1] record," Hoke said. "The other guys realize I'm in there for Hamp and they know they have to step up their game. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them."

how can you not love such a modest, humble guy?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11284/11 ... z1fmkQUdie (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11284/1181169-87-0.stm#ixzz1fmkQUdie)

ramblinjim
12-06-2011, 04:41 PM
If Hokie wants to stay in football, he'd be an excellent D-Line coach. He played hard, every play, with excellent technique. He didn't have supernatural talent so he worked with what he had and played very well in the league for what 12 years?

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
It's certainly a rarity for a guy to have a full career (11 NFL seasons) for the same team as a backup the entire time (18 total starts as an injury fill in). Kudos to the front office for seeing the potential in a guy enough to keep him on the roster for 3 seasons without a single snap in a game, so that when Hampton went down in 2004, Hoke was able to step in and start 10 games that season. It's too bad that we are nearing the end of the line with our mountain men on the DL (Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke...hopefully Brett Keisel is able to stick around a bit longer). The team only lost one game that he started in his entire career.

Here is a picture of Bill Cowher and Chris Hoke back in the day:

http://ladybugsnest.com/images/hacksaw/hacksawsgtslaughter.jpg

:wink:

Oviedo
12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Too bad. Always like Hoke and how he played, but I think McLendon passed him in the depth chart this season.

Lonbull
12-06-2011, 08:31 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks Hoke - maybe you were just a back-up, but you were the talented kind of back-up that makes all the difference in a season.

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2010/09-September/2010_TN_Chris_Hoke--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

fezziwig
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM

ghost you really said it all with your comment. the dude is just a great guy, probably a starter on most teams if not all and always kept things positive and put the team before him.
guys like him are few and far between. just think if he was on the bengals, hoke would probably ask to leave the team because i doubt he could take T.O., Ocho and all the rest being such me guys.

good luck to hoke and for his future on and off the field.

Shoe
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Hoke goes down with names like (not necessarily in order):
Justin Strzelczyk
Jerry Olsavsky
Frank Pollard
Ernie Mills
Deshea Townsend
Garry Howe
Gregg Carr
(anyone else remember the last two? pretty obscure)

who made their name with us as backup, role player types.

fezziwig
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Shoe, really cool list you started.

Off the top I can name

Brian Hinkle
Brian Blankenship

I guess these two weren't exactly backups but they brought the same character to the team with not being a big name and working their tails off.
I'm stumped on what backup filled in and added the value of Hoke.

steelerkeylargo
12-06-2011, 11:11 PM
David Little
Gary Dunn
Willie Williams

papillon
12-07-2011, 06:23 AM
This is going to be a very nostalgic year for Steeler fans; hopefully, Steeler fans around the world have managed to enjoy Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke and possibly Casey Hampton and Hines Ward. We may not see them play again in the Black and Gold. Not only have you done your jobs admirably for many years, but you have been the embodiment of Steeler football for the young players coming into the league. The Steeler organization can only hope the next generation of Steeler players can be as professional as you on and off the field. Thank you.

Here's to the big uglies and one skill player that played like a big ugly:
:Bow :Beer

This Steeler fan wishes you all the best in your post football life and hoping the injuries you sustained during your career do not reduce your quality of life in retirement. You'll all certainly be invited to Steeler reunions I hope you attend with pride and with one more Super Bowl ring.

Pappy

flippy
12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a feeling this could be a disappointing offseason losing quite a few guys like Hokie.

Better win them a SuperBowl or else!!!!!!!!!!

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Need to continue to backfill the DL every draft. Keis and Hamp aren't playing forever, either. We might have future starters in Heyward and Hood, but we need their backups.

Slapstick
12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
We may get to see Al Woods with some PT...I don't know if Bryant will be promoted from the PS, but I'd like to see him get some PT as well...

Oviedo
12-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Need to continue to backfill the DL every draft. Keis and Hamp aren't playing forever, either. We might have future starters in Heyward and Hood, but we need their backups.

:Agree Definitely need more defensive linemen. You can't have enough good ones. Especially when you switch to the 4-3 defense :stirpot

fezziwig
12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
It's something when guys you admire, cheer for are no longer on the team and how after several years a decade eventually one group of guys move on and it's all new faces etc. Outside of Ben, Starks, Farrior, Miller, Taylor, Troy, Hampton, Hoke, Harrison, Ward I doubt there is any other players on the team that were apart of the 2004 Super Bowl against the Seahawks. Was Colon and Kemoateo on that Super Bowl team then ?

phillyesq
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
This is going to be a very nostalgic year for Steeler fans; hopefully, Steeler fans around the world have managed to enjoy Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke and possibly Casey Hampton and Hines Ward. We may not see them play again in the Black and Gold. Not only have you done your jobs admirably for many years, but you have been the embodiment of Steeler football for the young players coming into the league. The Steeler organization can only hope the next generation of Steeler players can be as professional as you on and off the field. Thank you.

Here's to the big uglies and one skill player that played like a big ugly:

This Steeler fan wishes you all the best in your post football life and hoping the injuries you sustained during your career do not reduce your quality of life in retirement. You'll all certainly be invited to Steeler reunions I hope you attend with pride and with one more Super Bowl ring.

Pappy

Very well said Pappy.

I've always enjoyed watching Hoke play. Always humble and reliable, never flashy.

As an aside, Chris Hoke is one of a number of Steelers and former Steelrs that my Mom sees regularly or quasi-regularly at the gym. Hoke has always been a nice guy and a solid citizen even outside of what is seen and reported publicly.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Hoke is the epitome of a professional in every way. He has worn the Black and Gold with dignity. I hope there's always room for this type of player on the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Slapstick
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
It's something when guys you admire, cheer for are no longer on the team and how after several years a decade eventually one group of guys move on and it's all new faces etc. Outside of Ben, Starks, Farrior, Miller, Taylor, Troy, Hampton, Hoke, Harrison, Ward I doubt there is any other players on the team that were apart of the 2004 Super Bowl against the Seahawks. Was Colon and Kemoateo on that Super Bowl team then ?

Steelers from SB XL on the roster:

Batch, Essex, Farrior, Foote, Hampton, Harrison, Hoke, Keisel, Kemoeatu, McFadden,
Miller, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Smith, Starks, Taylor, Ward, Warren.

Coaches still on the staff:

Arians, Butler, Daniel, LeBeau, Mitchell and Ray Jackson (though he has changed to a more front office type position under Tomlin, I still see him on the sideline).

fezziwig
12-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks Slapstick, I forgot about Batch, Essexs, Kiesel, McFadden , Foote and Warren.
That's 18 guys with 3 to 5 of them being backups, not too shabby for the players that mananged to hold on to a backup position for so long and then you have Foote that I consider a starter anyway.

sentinel33
12-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Gonna miss ya Hoke. I never flinched when you were called upon.

Tough shoes to fill, indeed.