PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Trophy Question...

Dee Dub
12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
How does a guy get nominated for the Heisman Trophy during a season when he was suspended one game for failing a drug test? Believe me when I say this, I know Tyrann Mathieu is a great football player. One of the best in the country. And I am not questioning whether or not he has the talent for such an award. But shouldn't character and disciplinary action be considered for such a prestigious award?

Am I wrong?

RuthlessBurgher
12-06-2011, 01:17 PM
How does a guy get nominated for the Heisman Trophy during a season when he was suspended one game for failing a drug test? Believe me when I say this, I know Tyrann Mathieu is a great football player. One of the best in the country. And I am not questioning whether or not he has the talent for such an award. But shouldn't character and disciplinary action be considered for such a prestigious award?

Am I wrong?

Ask Brian Cushing and his NFL Rookie of the Year Award while "Juiced Out Of His Mind" (as James Harrison so succinctly put it).

WindyCitySteel
12-06-2011, 02:15 PM
There's very little about college football that is worthy of watching. When people vote on championship participants, it's reality TV, not sports.

steelblood
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree Dee Dub.

RG3 for Heisman!

Sugar
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
There's very little about college football that is worthy of watching. When people vote on championship participants, it's reality TV, not sports.

:Agree

The NCAA is a racket. I really wish that the NFL had it's own farm system or something to break it up.

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Am I wrong?

I think you are spot on with this Dee Dub...

according to Wikipedia, the Heisman Trophy is awarded to "the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."

that definition would seem to exclude Tyrann Mathieu, no matter how good his on-field performance has been this season.

sd steel
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM

Am I wrong?

according to Wikipedia, the Heisman Trophy is awarded to "the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."

that definition would seem to exclude Tyrann Mathieu, no matter how good his on-field performance has been this season.

But this whole line of thinking would basically exclude whole universities for being eligible. I mean I think the U, the Ohio State, and Southern Cal players would never sniff the trophy if the Heisman was really chosen by those rules. :shock:

feltdizz
12-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Am I wrong?

yes you are wrong...

NCAA isn't about integrity... it's about money and popularity.

WindyCitySteel
12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2a286s8a]How does a guy get nominated for the Heisman Trophy during a season when he was suspended one game for failing a drug test? Believe me when I say this, I know Tyrann Mathieu is a great football player. One of the best in the country. And I am not questioning whether or not he has the talent for such an award. But shouldn't character and disciplinary action be considered for such a prestigious award?

Am I wrong?

But this whole line of thinking would basically exclude whole universities for being eligible. I mean I think the U, the Ohio State, and Southern Cal players would never sniff the trophy if the Heisman was really chosen by those rules. :shock:[/quote:2a286s8a]

Cam Newton won it, and he got paid six figures.

Allegedly.

Shawn
12-07-2011, 04:44 PM
The Heisman should be about more than play. BTW Richardson is one of the most impressive backs I have seen in many many years. He has a bright future ahead of him.

Dee Dub
12-07-2011, 05:13 PM
The Heisman should be about more than play. BTW Richardson is one of the most impressive backs I have seen in many many years. He has a bright future ahead of him.

Agree 100% about the Heisman. And also about Richardson. When you factor in that Bama has no passing game teams gear up to stop Richardson. My only thing with Richardson si he doenst really have that "WOW" moment this year. And a Heisman winner or candidate should. I would have Matt Barkley and Justin Blackmon ahead of him as well as the Honey Badger.

Blackmon has 113 rec. 1336 yards and 15 TD's.

Dee Dub
12-07-2011, 05:23 PM
...but if you are going to go on sheer numbers for the Heisman how can you by pass Montee Ball? 1759 yards and 32 TD's rushing? Plus 20 rec. another 200 yards and 6 receiving TD's? Are kidding me?

Prowler
12-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Agree 100% about the Heisman. And also about Richardson. When you factor in that Bama has no passing game teams gear up to stop Richardson. My only thing with Richardson si he doenst really have that "WOW" moment this year. And a Heisman winner or candidate should. I would have Matt Barkley and Justin Blackmon ahead of him as well as the Honey Badger.

Blackmon has 113 rec. 1336 yards and 15 TD's.

If I had my way I would choose Kendall Wright over Justin Blackman at WR. Much better hands than Blackmon. I don't think I've ever seen him drop a pass.

Than again I love Montee Ball.

Dee Dub
12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Here is another Heisman Trophy question. Of the following Heisman candidates....Luck, Richardson, Griffin III, and Mathieu, do you think any of these players would a candidate this year had they sat out the 4th quarter of 5 of their games this year?

Probably not. But that is exactly what Montee Ball did this year. And still put up....

1757 yards rushing, 6.5 yards per carry, 32 rushing TD's, 20 receptions, 255 receiving yards, and 6 receiving TD's.

It's probably not gonna happen but he should be this years winner. Hands down.

Shawn
12-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I agree Ball had an absurd year. But, as much as it pains me to say this, Richardson played against much better competition. Wisconsin's OL is always terrific, and they actually had a passing game for the first time in many years. I believe Richardson to be the better back, and I would give the edge to him in voting. But, I couldn't fault anyone for voting for Ball.