PDA

View Full Version : If The Playoff Started Today...

flippy
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
We'd be going to Denver without a starting FS.

I guess we'd just go with Mundy. And I like Mundy and all. He plays hard and give a tremendous effort. He's reliable.

But I wish we had a better option.

I think we have a guy on the roster that could do well at FS that's not getting any playing time on defense anyway.

Say what you will about BMac's man to man coverage, but he's the best tackler out of any of our DBs and he's also one of the few DBs I've seen locate and make a play on a ball in the air.

What is our contingency plan in Denver if Mundy gets hurt? What if Troy has a concussion or some other injury?

As it stands now, there's a chance we could have to go to Denver for a playoff game without Ryan Clark.

WindyCitySteel
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Denver doesn't have a forward passing game. That's the one place we could get away with it. Add another LB and stop Tebow from running.

Oviedo
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I think Tebow threw for more yards than Ben did yesterday and had two TDs. I wouldn't say they had no passing game. In a closer than it needs to be game it only takes one completion to make the difference. Tebow has proven a propensity for doing that over the last 7 games.

If we had to play in Denver and Clark was out I would be concerned. The system sucks when a team who could potentially have a 13-3 record would be the #5 seed in the play offs. I hoping the Bumgals do something great in their season finale against the Ravens.

Chavezz
12-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I was reading somewhere that they took clark off the field and used a CB (Cortez Allen I believe) in his place on some downs last week. I wonder if this may be a test run at a future formation?

Oviedo
12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I was reading somewhere that they took clark off the field and used a CB (Cortez Allen I believe) in his place on some downs last week. I wonder if this may be a test run at a future formation?

Not sure about the future, but I don't want a rookie making his first career start in the first round of the play offs

WindyCitySteel
12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I think Tebow threw for more yards than Ben did yesterday and had two TDs. I wouldn't say they had no passing game. In a closer than it needs to be game it only takes one completion to make the difference. Tebow has proven a propensity for doing that over the last 7 games.

Against Miami, the Jets, Raiders, Chargers, Vikings, and Chiefs. He's under 50% completions and averages 140 a game passing.

Seriously, if we can't beat that passing game without Ryan Clark (who I thought sucked in coverage), I hope we miss the playoffs.

steelz09
12-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I would feel comfortable w/ Mundy in there.

If not, just put Polamalu as FS. He played deep in coverage yesterday.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Against Miami, the Jets, Raiders, Chargers, Vikings, and Chiefs. He's under 50% completions and averages 140 a game passing.

Seriously, if we can't beat that passing game without Ryan Clark (who I thought sucked in coverage), I hope we miss the playoffs.

:Clap

It is time to stop drinking the Kool Aid. Denver is a nice story, but this is not a team that is ready to face a contender in the playoffs.

flippy
12-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Not worried about Tebow at all. Just Ryan Clark not being available in Denver.

phillyesq
12-05-2011, 05:01 PM

I believe it was in the dime (or some variation thereof) where the Steelers ran Polamalu and Mundy at safety and Allen, Lewis, Gay and Ike at CB.

I think this is an acknowledgement that Mundy may be the better coverage guy at safety, which doesn't say much.

flippy
12-05-2011, 05:24 PM
wonder why curtis brown can't get in on defense. he's playing his tail off on ST. and that seems like a good indicator he's going to turn into a big time contributor on D.

don't get me wrong, i like that cortez is out there ahead of him though. he might come up big against some bigger WRs and TEs come playoff time. I could see him being a good matchup for Jordy Nelson, Owen Daniels, Gronkowski, Dixon/Pitta, or a couple others our DBs and LBs might have a hard time covering.

We can use Ike/Troy to take away a WR or 2. But when the receiving corps get deep, sometimes there's a tough matchup for Clark, Gay, Mundy, Lewis, etc. and Allen's got a unique size and speed combo and he's got some fight in him that could really help us out.

D Rock
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Clark would play.

There was a lot of talk about this last year...would he or would he not play in Denver.

As it turned out, he didn't, just to be safe. But the bodily organ that caused he previous problems has been removed and he could have played if he wanted to. He had the doctors clearance, but Tomlin did the right thing and took the decision out of his hands and told him he wasn't playing.

In the playoffs....Clark plays in Denver.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
It is time to stop drinking the Kool Aid. Denver is a nice story, but this is not a team that is ready to face a contender in the playoffs.

I don't know, they're looking better to me every week. For all Tebow's deficiencies, the Donks are finding a way to win week after week.

Having a QB who isn't a great passer doesn't automatically mean a team isn't a "contender"...after all, Korkie took us to a couple of AFC Championship games.

flippy
12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I'd be disappointed in the Steelers if they let Clark play in Denver.

sentinel33
12-05-2011, 10:39 PM
i concur flippy.

winwithd
12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
They've got a pair of pass-rushers who could give us fits in V Miller and Dumervil.

But Tebow and Company would be facing the #1 Overall Defense and #1 Pass Defense in the league. And with a healthy and relatively rested Woodley and Harrison, and Ike locking down Decker (who else do they have at WR?) we could win 7-6 on a AB punt return.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-06-2011, 10:06 AM
They've got a pair of pass-rushers who could give us fits in V Miller and Dumervil.

But Tebow and Company would be facing the #1 Overall Defense and #1 Pass Defense in the league. And with a healthy and relatively rested Woodley and Harrison, and Ike locking down Decker (who else do they have at WR?) we could win 7-6 on a AB punt return.

I'm starting to doubt that Woodley will be healthy before next season. Now he's talking about just being a part-timer. Let's face it, without a healthy Woodley and Harrison in there together, we can't get after the passer like we've been accustomed to doing in previous years.