PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to hate the NFL

WindyCitySteel
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
It's all about the passing game. These illegal contact and PI calls are so ticky tack now and they change games. The Giants had the Packers stopped on 3rd down and they get off the hook with a guy brushing a receiver past five yards.

Give them five yards, but automatic first down? Where are the offensive penalties that bring an automatic fourth down?

In ten years the NFL will have gone the way of Arena Football. A quaint alternative to hockey.

feltdizz
12-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Its really obvious the NFL is trying to get the Pack to the playoffs undefeated.

That illegal contact call was horrible.

DukieBoy
12-04-2011, 08:15 PM
The Packers receivers run themselves straight into the Giants LB's and DB's. When the Giants players put their hands up and on the receivers, they are getting called for illegal contact. It is ridiculous.

And how about that "TD" given to the Pack on that bobbled "catch" in the EZ by a Packer receiver. What a ridiculous call.

WindyCitySteel
12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Green Bay's defense is absolute garbage. 30th heading into today and shredded again. No way they repeat with that terrible squad.

AkronSteel
12-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Green Bay's defense is absolute garbage. 30th heading into today and shredded again. No way they repeat with that terrible squad.

They remind me a lot of the 2007 Patriots. They are really really good on offense but when push comes to shove in the playoffs, they are going to have to play some defense. From what I have seen it is not going to happen. They may go undefeated but I see them getting their heart broke in the end. I could see the Cowboys or someone in the NFC who can generate pressure consistently getting to them and pulling a shocker, and to be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to the Steelers playing them again in Indy. I still say we gave that game away last year. I always will.

Steel Life
12-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Why the NFL would put the worst Ref on this game is beyond me. The Pack clearly got the benefit of every close call & Triplette would never explain anything (clearly he's been affected by his blown explanation from last week, much less year's past).

Lastly...a little rant - I believe the Pack is becoming the biggest diva of the league (I still have my eye on you though Pats). The HC is whining for every call, the line gets away with holding as much the Pats ever did & they handle winning like an snobby prom queen - all the while with the media fawning over them. I don't know if we have what it takes to take them down but I hope someone does & I hope it's ugly.

SteelCrazy
12-04-2011, 09:33 PM
What really made me scratch my head, besides dandruff was the TD given to the Packers when their WR clearly did not have control and the DB knocked it out of his hands. That was pathetic.

DukieBoy
12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
What really made me scratch my head, besides dandruff was the TD given to the Packers when their WR clearly did not have control and the DB knocked it out of his hands. That was pathetic.

It certainly was a pathetic call, and it makes mockery of whatever remains of credibility of the NFLBA.

I believe that the Packers' style of game is what Goodell and company want the league to be and become. This reffing, as seen in the Pack/Giant game today, is one method for shaping the league in their image. Alternatively, excessive penalizing and fining the Steelers is done toward the same outcome.

Shoe
12-04-2011, 09:48 PM
People saying they will suffer the same fate as the Patriots*, etc. need to remind themselves that that was a two-minute drill and a miraculous 4th down catch away from an undefeated season. If that scenario plays out 10 times (where they had the Giants), the Patriots* finish undefeated nine times.

So let's not dismiss their chances as a natural comeuppance. They are legit threats to repeat AND go undefeated... and I'm SCARED (shudder at the Aaron Rodgers slurping we'll hear at that point).

That being said, I really wish/hope our coaching staff worked with our DBs with this team in mind. Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, we need experienced but athletic cover guys when we play this team.

Starlifter
12-05-2011, 12:11 AM
I gotta admit - there's not much about the packers I don't like. Clay Matthews kinda bothers me, but beyond that - not much at all. Great defense. explosive offense. lot's of pittsburgh connections.

If we meet them in Indy - here's to 18-1. If the Steelers fall short, I'm having a hard time with the idea I'll lose no sleep over finally shutting up those jerks from the dolphins.......

WindyCitySteel
12-05-2011, 12:26 AM
People saying they will suffer the same fate as the Patriots*, etc. need to remind themselves that that was a two-minute drill and a miraculous 4th down catch away from an undefeated season. If that scenario plays out 10 times (where they had the Giants), the Patriots* finish undefeated nine times.

NE had the 4th ranked defense in 2007. GB is 31st after today. NE also had the 13th ranked running game, GB is 29th.

GB is a one-trick pony. Rodgers needs to play perfectly for them to win, and he pretty much has this year. But he can't and won't every game.

They won't make it to the Super Bowl.

WindyCitySteel
12-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I gotta admit - there's not much about the packers I don't like. Clay Matthews kinda bothers me, but beyond that - not much at all. Great defense. explosive offense. lot's of pittsburgh connections.

If we meet them in Indy - here's to 18-1. If the Steelers fall short, I'm having a hard time with the idea I'll lose no sleep over finally shutting up those jerks from the dolphins.......

Great defense? Their defense is awful.

Saints 26th D in the league, Pack 31st, Patriots 32nd.

And which three teams are being verbally blown by every talking head in sports?

It's all about offense anymore. Here's hoping we see a SF/Pittsburgh Super Bowl and leave the others to the Arena Bowl.

Starlifter
12-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Great defense? Their defense is awful.

Saints 26th D in the league, Pack 31st, Patriots 32nd.

And which three teams are being verbally blown by every talking head in sports?

It's all about offense anymore. Here's hoping we see a SF/Pittsburgh Super Bowl and leave the others to the Arena Bowl.

wow, you are right about their defense. I haven't watched them much and yep - there they are at the bottom. good call. it's always interesting however in the stat used to rank defenses. if you go with yards allowed, they're at the bottom. with points allowed, middle of the pack (no pun intended)

still, I hate those 72 dolphins........

WindyCitySteel
12-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Points is more important than yards, but that is predicated on turnovers. San Fran doesn't turn the ball over and plays defense. I could see them winning the NFC.

WindyCitySteel
12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
And now Madonna is doing the Super Bowl halftime show?

Good God, can we pussify this game any further?

AngryAsian
12-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Pussify? Nothing was more pussified than having Justin Timberlake do the halftime show. As for GB, how can anyone refute that this team will make it the Superbowl. Last year they were riddled with injuries on both sides of the ball and still beat everyone to take the Lombardi. If the championship is won by a team not wearing black and gold, I certainly don't mind seeing won by another historically blue-collar franchise. As for Rodgers, all I can say is besides the talent (which is cerebral and precise), all the interviews I've seen has him quickly deferring the praise to his OL, defense, coaching staff... Practically everyone but himself. He won major props with me on how he handled the whole Favre drama. Class act... jmo

WindyCitySteel
12-05-2011, 10:38 AM
They don't run the ball and their defense is a sieve. That's why I think they don't make the Super Bowl. Last year they had a top five defense.

All it takes is one game from Rodgers where he doesn't have a 100+ QB rating and they're done.

feltdizz
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Beyond pathetic... not sure how anyone can watch that play in slow motion and call it a catch.

feltdizz
12-05-2011, 10:53 AM

Pussify? Nothing was more pussified than having Justin Timberlake do the halftime show. As for GB, how can anyone refute that this team will make it the Superbowl. Last year they were riddled with injuries on both sides of the ball and still beat everyone to take the Lombardi. If the championship is won by a team not wearing black and gold, I certainly don't mind seeing won by another historically blue-collar franchise. As for Rodgers, all I can say is besides the talent (which is cerebral and precise), all the interviews I've seen has him quickly deferring the praise to his OL, defense, coaching staff... Practically everyone but himself. He won major props with me on how he handled the whole Favre drama. Class act... jmo

I don't care how the players on GB carry themselves I just want to see them win without getting walked down the field by the refs.

Maybe it's their record but I've watched a fair amount of games and the flags are getting ridiculous.

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Mr. Polamalu would like to have a word with you. :wink:

http://ads.mediaincanada.com/articles/mic/20090911/polamalu.body_lead.jpg

steelblood
12-05-2011, 11:18 AM
It's all about the passing game. These illegal contact and PI calls are so ticky tack now and they change games. The Giants had the Packers stopped on 3rd down and they get off the hook with a guy brushing a receiver past five yards.

Give them five yards, but automatic first down? Where are the offensive penalties that bring an automatic fourth down?

In ten years the NFL will have gone the way of Arena Football. A quaint alternative to hockey.

Even worse in the Detroit game, one receiver was called for offensive pass interference 3 times. He was doing the same thing every other receiver does (and Michael Irvin made an entire career out of). Yet, suddenly he was held to entirely different standard than the rest of the NFL. Nobody knows what the rules are anymore.

ikestops85
12-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Even worse in the Detroit game, one receiver was called for offensive pass interference 3 times. He was doing the same thing every other receiver does (and Michael Irvin made an entire career out of). Yet, suddenly he was held to entirely different standard than the rest of the NFL. Nobody knows what the rules are anymore.

I agree with you. The receiver was Nate Burleson and I don't know what he did to tick off that official but 3 offensive pass interference calls was ridiculous. He wasn't doing anything different that any good receiver in the NFL does. Granted, according to the rules they were all pass interference but it is rarely called that way.

The officiating is so inconsistent and I can't even blame the officials. It's the league and it's silly rules and 'emphasis' on certain rules. The players have to be getting frustrated ... especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Steelers>NFL
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
They don't run the ball and their defense is a sieve. That's why I think they don't make the Super Bowl. Last year they had a top five defense.

All it takes is one game from Rodgers where he doesn't have a 100+ QB rating and they're done.

I think the Packers have a better chance to be in the SB than the Steelers. Even if the Steelers D is better than the Packers D. The Packers offense has been consistant all season long. And they have Mike McCarthey calling plays, not Bruce Arians. So I say they will be there. As for the AFC, totally up in the air.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I can see the Packers done in by their own frozen tundra when the playoffs roll around. Playing in the north in January gives us our fair share of cold, snow, and wind. The recipe to beat that?

RUN THE BALL AND PLAY D.

First off, lets look at the GB defense. Aside from the fact that they are ranked 33rd in the league - yes they are that bad - they give up rushing yards like they are playing Santa to underprivileged running backs. Take Brandon Jacobs. 3.1 ypc and a backup starting due to injury coming in and looking awful. He goes off for 7.4 ypc. GB not only does not play D, but more important is that they can't stop the run.

Now on to their own rushing attack. Grant and Starks may look good when there are 4 receivers on the field and 6 DBs in the game, but what will they do when forced to run against 8 in the box on a frozen, windy day?

Last season they played D. What happens in the cold this year?

feltdizz
12-05-2011, 12:52 PM

I agree with you. The receiver was Nate Burleson and I don't know what he did to tick off that official but 3 offensive pass interference calls was ridiculous. He wasn't doing anything different that any good receiver in the NFL does. Granted, according to the rules they were all pass interference but it is rarely called that way.

The officiating is so inconsistent and I can't even blame the officials. It's the league and it's silly rules and 'emphasis' on certain rules. The players have to be getting frustrated ... especially on the defensive side of the ball.

he was going to screw up the Vegas and the refs couldn't have that. I've never seen a guy called for 3 PI's like that.. they were tick tack.

Discipline of Steel
12-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Not to mention TOO MANY RULES.

NJ-STEELER
12-06-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/12/06/sports/web_photos/06.1s089.Ballard1--300x300.jpg

Giants coach ‘sick’ over photo of ‘TD’
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/c ... GHn8YNGOJM (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/coughlin_sick_over_photo_of_ballard_wVFNtyBK9xCNGH n8YNGOJM)

feltdizz
12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/12/06/sports/web_photos/06.1s089.Ballard1--300x300.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/c ... GHn8YNGOJM (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/coughlin_sick_over_photo_of_ballard_wVFNtyBK9xCNGH n8YNGOJM)

..and I thought Duke basketball home games were bad. Those refs need to be fired.

Steelgal
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I watched the game Sunday night with a Packer fan. The calls were beyond bad and definately favored the Pack. I thought for sure that DRiver TD would be reversed because I didn't think he ever controlled it. Then, can't remember who it was, but Charles Woodson was all over someone in the EZ. The receiver made a phenonemal 1-handed catch because he left arm was being held and it didn't get called. Even Aikman was surprised there was no call.

At one point I started saying it looks like Goodell wants an undefeated Packers team this year and got no rebuttle for it. I don't know if it's Rodgers 'pretty boy' image that they are trying to support or what. I do think he handled the Favre situation with great class and I respect him for that. But hearing he's being called the best to ever play the position is just ludicrous. Let's see him do it at a high level for years and talk about it then.

papillon
12-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Was this play reviewed and deemed no touchdown? Regardless, the football could very well be coming loose from the receiver and him not maintaining possession. The ball appears to be in the middle of his body, his right arm and hand are much higher than the ball, he probably isn't holding it in his right hand. There is a lot of ball showing and I can't see any of his left hand around the ball. It very well could be coming loose at this point or at least he's not maintaining possession through the catch.

Of course, it could be a touchdown as well. :P

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
12-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Was this play reviewed and deemed no touchdown? Regardless, the football could very well be coming loose from the receiver and him not maintaining possession. The ball appears to be in the middle of his body, his right arm and hand are much higher than the ball, he probably isn't holding it in his right hand. There is a lot of ball showing and I can't see any of his left hand around the ball. It very well could be coming loose at this point or at least he's not maintaining possession through the catch.

Pappy

it was reviewed as every scoring play was. no TD on the call

ballard also got a foot in before the knee.

at first i didnt think it was a TD cause the knee does slide out of bounds but then realized as soon as it hits, it should be ruled one. he had control thru out the catch

he ref may have deemed that the ball wasnt in possession yet as the knee hit, but he didnt explain it that way. he just said call on the field stands IIRC

feltdizz
12-08-2011, 05:05 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":29z9po64]http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/12/06/sports/web_photos/06.1s089.Ballard1--300x300.jpg

Pappy

at first i didnt think it was a TD cause the knee does slide out of bounds but then realized as soon as it hits, it should be ruled one. he had control thru out the catch

he ref may have deemed that the ball wasnt in possession yet as the knee hit, but he didnt explain it that way. he just said call on the field stands IIRC[/quote:29z9po64]

Since the Giants lost a challenge on this wouldn't the call on the field be in-complete to begin with?

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2011, 10:01 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":27m3kjly]http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/12/06/sports/web_photos/06.1s089.Ballard1--300x300.jpg

Pappy

he ref may have deemed that the ball wasnt in possession yet as the knee hit, but he didnt explain it that way. he just said call on the field stands IIRC

Since the Giants lost a challenge on this wouldn't the call on the field be in-complete to begin with?[/quote:27m3kjly]

Scoring plays are automatically reviewed this year. It wasn't a coach's challenge.