PDA

View Full Version : let's not overreact......

Starlifter
12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
yes. it's a great win and fun to have a game that didn't have us pulling our hair out at the end. Let's not lose sight of the fact however that this was one of those rare 'perfect storm' games and is unlikely to be seen again in these parts anytime soon.

consider:

Mendenhall scored a TD from 4 yards out up the middle. be honest - how many of you saw him get the handoff and think 'oh crap'.

Mendenhall scored a TD on a pitch. be honest - how many of you saw the pitch and thought 'oh crap'.

special teams blocked a FG

special teams caused a fumble and recovered it

special teams ran a punt back for a TD

Ike Taylor has interceptions in TWO consecutive games

Please don't think of this as complaining. I loved the game and was thrilled to see it. I just think if anyone had given odds of even TWO of those things happening before the start of the game - they would have been long odds indeed.

great to see it. hope we can do it again! but let's not lose perspective.

now, let's go crush the stains!! wooooooo!!!!!

buckeyehoppy
12-04-2011, 06:45 PM
yes. it's a great win and fun to have a game that didn't have us pulling our hair out at the end. Let's not lose sight of the fact however that this was one of those rare 'perfect storm' games and is unlikely to be seen again in these parts anytime soon.

consider:

Mendenhall scored a TD from 4 yards out up the middle. be honest - how many of you saw him get the handoff and think 'oh crap'.

Mendenhall scored a TD on a pitch. be honest - how many of you saw the pitch and thought 'oh crap'.

special teams blocked a FG

special teams caused a fumble and recovered it

special teams ran a punt back for a TD

Ike Taylor has interceptions in TWO consecutive games

Please don't think of this as complaining. I loved the game and was thrilled to see it. I just think if anyone had given odds of even TWO of those things happening before the start of the game - they would have been long odds indeed.

great to see it. hope we can do it again! but let's not lose perspective.

now, let's go crush the stains!! wooooooo!!!!!

Might also mean that the young Bengals are crumbling under the pressure of a playoff race. That's what it looked like to me.

The Browns are just painful to watch. We need to be able to run the ball like we did today on the Browns and make no mistakes on O. If we accomplish that, we win because we will smoke them on D. I have no trouble believing that we have at least one shutout against the Browns. They just suck out loud!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-04-2011, 07:01 PM
IMO, odds are we are fighting for a wild card spot. We win out, and just looking at the Ravens schedule, they do too.

Steel Life
12-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Might also mean that Mendy was running harder & that our STs are getting better...let's try not to take a positive & look at it negatively. Let's hope our team is getting better in all phases as playoffs near.

feltdizz
12-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Over react? Can we react at all since its only been an hour or 2? LOL

Its the Bungles... All those things you just listed don't surprise me one bit outside of the blocked FG.

Brown was due for a PR. Mend can actually run a little. Ike bobbled his INT and was smart enough to fall on his back. LOL.

fezziwig
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Happy for the win but this win doesn't make me believe the Steelers arrived. Our team still needs to do better and the only team to me that stands in their way is the Ravens.
If we do make it to the Super Bowl and end up facing the Pack, we lose.

papillon
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I missed the game, but I see the Steelers lost. What happened?

Pappy

SteelAbility
12-04-2011, 07:39 PM
But overreacting is just so much fun ... :moon

A 35-7 win over a 7-4 team is clearly an indication of one of the three greatest units of all time. Clearly eking out a 14-9 win over the Chiefs was an aberration. This team is going to run the table from here, beating the Packers 49-3 in SB46.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
But overreacting is just so much fun ... :moon

A 35-7 win over a 7-4 team is clearly an indication of one of the three greatest units of all time. Clearly eking out a 14-9 win over the Chiefs was an aberration. This team is going to run the table from here, beating the Packers 49-3 in SB46.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

feltdizz
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Happy for the win but this win doesn't make me believe the Steelers arrived. Our team still needs to do better and the only team to me that stands in their way is the Ravens.

No one will beat the Pack this year the way the refs call their games. I can't believe they gave them a TD on that bogus catch that was never possessed.

WindyCitySteel
12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
**** that. It was a great team win. Offense, defense, special teams.

Jigawatts
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Pappy

Ben held onto the ball too long.

DukieBoy
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM

No one will beat the Pack this year the way the refs call their games. I can't believe they gave them a TD on that bogus catch that was never possessed.

That call was ridiculous in any case, but particularly in light of what else we've seen called incomplete this year. Now the Giants just got jobbed on an illegal contact when Finley ran himself into a Giants linebacker about 7 yards deep, when the Giants had sacked Rodgers. It's like the fix is in.

pittpete
12-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Did you really miss the game pap?

steelblood
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I love these threads about how as fans we have to not get too high after a big win (or the ones that tell fans to stay focused). Why not? I'm enjoying this one big time.

drprwnap
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Pappy

Woosy Pouncey didn't gain back the 12 pounds he lost from his "tummy ache" and got owned all game :stirpot

fezziwig
12-04-2011, 09:57 PM

That call was ridiculous in any case, but particularly in light of what else we've seen called incomplete this year. Now the Giants just got jobbed on an illegal contact when Finley ran himself into a Giants linebacker about 7 yards deep, when the Giants had sacked Rodgers. It's like the fix is in.

The Packers are Goodells new love child

Starlifter
12-04-2011, 10:37 PM
jeez, i think some of you guys are overreacting!!!

on a more serious note. I'm trying hard to believe in mendy. He surely had some brilliant runs today. Is his style of running not something to fret about but is EXACTLY what the steelers need? he's clearly a back that can make a game changing run. Is that what we want at the expense of a move the pile 3-4 yards kind of guy? It may very well be, particularly with the explosive nature of our receivers. I suppose, as in most things with the team - if the O-line makes holes, all backs look great, you can control the clock and it generally leads to really good things. Nevertheless - that last touchdown drive relied heavily on the run. It was dominating football and though these are the bungles - I think gouging them like that was a quite the statement.

lastly. how sick is it there's a chance the Steelers win 13 games - and end up the #5 seed?

Captain Lemming
12-04-2011, 10:43 PM

This "fix" paranoia always cracks me up.

Sure the rules tend to favor offense, particularly "soft" teams. Goodell does want a "kinder gentler NFL".

This does hurt a team that is tends to be more physical like our Steelers.

HOWEVER, while the rule changes may be an advantage to certain styles the idea that refs are making calls to favor any particular teams is just ridiculous.

Refs make bad calls sometimes, period.

Think about it for a second. Just how is said "fix" implemented.

Do you REALLY THINK Goodell has instructed the refs to favor the Packers on any close call? Or perhap medling ol Roger has a hotline to tell the refs how to rule on replay calls? Really?

Imagine the scandal if one of the DOZENS of refs who must be involved spills the beans on the conspiracy to create a GB dynasty?

Is Goodell REALLY gonna take that chance?

I'm no agent but if Goodell is telling refs to favor certain teams, I could negotiate a deal for the refs that would make a QBs pay look like chump change.

Starlifter
12-04-2011, 10:46 PM

rooney will help him cover it up. he's done it before. gotta protect the brand!!!.......... :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

Iron Shiek
12-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Geez!
:Binky :Binky
Starlifter...all those things you listed happened because we were the better team, and for once we capitalized on mistakes the other team made. This stuff SHOULD happen.

How about just accepting that our team is good.

TallyStiller
12-05-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm of the opinion that Green Bay really hasn't played anybody who's got a particularly good defense. AFC West? Not so much. NFC South? Atlanta, maybe... but Tampa, Carolina, New Orleans are all terrible. Their division... Minnesota? Nope. Detroit? Imploding, like the Bungles. :bungalssuck Chicago? Stats say not this year - they're somewhere in the 20's this season in total D. Giants? injured. They've avoided us, Baltimore, San Fran, Houston, the Jets... in short, anybody who's playing decent defense.

These circus offenses always have a way of slowing down late. Ask the Hoodie about his '07... before the Giants beat them in SB XLII, San Diego held them to 21 in the AFCC and lost because Rivers played the game on one leg.

Ask Mike Martz how the "Greatest Show on Turf" thing worked in '01 against New England... even before that, the Super Bowl they won was a 23 - 16 slugfest with Tennessee following an 11 - 6 uglyfest over Tony Dungy's Bucs in the NFCC.

Ask Marv Levy. Buffalo's K-Gun was the scariest looking offense in a long time when they beat Oakland 51 - 3 in the AFCC before SB XV... then Bill Parcells got ahold of them, and after Scott Norwood went all Suisham on the potential game winner... another pretty offense goes down.

Ask Dan Marino, whose single season passing record is likely finally going to fall this year, how many rings he's got - then duck. They used to OWN September, but disappear in January.

Ask Dan Fouts and "Air Coryell"... those guys lit it up year after year, but never even sniffed a Super Bowl.

I realize the rules have changed since then, BUT... I'm not ready to crown a team that has the league's 31st ranked defense just yet.

Starlifter
12-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Geez!
Starlifter...all those things you listed happened because we were the better team, and for once we capitalized on mistakes the other team made. This stuff SHOULD happen.

lol. our team IS good and that stuff SHOULD happen. I thought that was my point about not overreacting to it!

feltdizz
12-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Geez!

lol. our team IS good and that stuff SHOULD happen. I thought that was my point about not overreacting to it!

It sounded like you were telling us the odds of all those things happening were damn near impossible in the OP.

Iron Shiek
12-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, i think i took it the same way as felt described.

But I think I get where you are coming from. I'm in the same mindset as when we lost to Baltimore the 2nd time. I'm not going overboard about it, just like I'm not going overboard about this win.

But hey, as it stands, Bengals are a playoff team, and we beat them. And we've beaten the Cheaters. So we've lost to the other two contenders (Hou/Balt). And I think we can beat them of course.

So I still have good feeling about how things are progressing in the AFC.

feltdizz
12-05-2011, 01:06 PM

This "fix" paranoia always cracks me up.

Sure the rules tend to favor offense, particularly "soft" teams. Goodell does want a "kinder gentler NFL".

This does hurt a team that is tends to be more physical like our Steelers.

HOWEVER, while the rule changes may be an advantage to certain styles the idea that refs are making calls to favor any particular teams is just ridiculous.

Refs make bad calls sometimes, period.

Think about it for a second. Just how is said "fix" implemented.

Do you REALLY THINK Goodell has instructed the refs to favor the Packers on any close call? Or perhap medling ol Roger has a hotline to tell the refs how to rule on replay calls? Really?

Imagine the scandal if one of the DOZENS of refs who must be involved spills the beans on the conspiracy to create a GB dynasty?

I'm no agent but if Goodell is telling refs to favor certain teams, I could negotiate a deal for the refs that would make a QBs pay look like chump change.

I understand what you are saying but it's not out of the question for the refs to make a few calls to influence games/spreads.

Can you really give a good reason for that TD being called when they WR didn't have possession? What about the San Diego game we won 11-10 that Troy ran the fumble back for a TD on the last play and they didn't count it?

Troy's INT vs Peyton? Our fumble on the GL vs Miami... and damn near every Patriots game from 2000 to 2007 prior to the SB. LOL

Sure the refs make mistakes but with HD super slow motion replay how the heck can these refs miss some of these calls?

last night I watched a WR get called for 3 PI's and I swear the Saints WR were doing the EXACT same thing.

All you have to do is look at the NBA to know refs can easily be corrupted. I know it's a crazy conspiracy but I think the NFL cares more about ratings and story lines then the purity of the game. The refs have so much influence it's hard not to think Goodell has them under his control.

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2011, 01:16 PM

rooney will help him cover it up. he's done it before. gotta protect the brand!!!.......... :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

My Brand!!!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltjucmtRnj1qahk2y.png

:lol:

phillyesq
12-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Pappy

The Steelers played a vanilla defense. Their only sacks came from Harrison, who is done (ignore the talk of him finally getting close to full strength). Early in the game, Lebeau dropped 8 against Andy Dalton, and although he was stopped, that is Dalton's failure, not a success that can be attributed to the defense.

And sure, while the defense gave up fewer points than last week, it did allow a TD. We should fire the defense coorinator because things are getting stale. :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Pappy

The Steelers played a vanilla defense. Their only sacks came from Harrison, who is done (ignore the talk of him finally getting close to full strength). Early in the game, Lebeau dropped 8 against Andy Dalton, and although he was stopped, that is Dalton's failure, not a success that can be attributed to the defense.

And sure, while the defense gave up fewer points than last week, it did allow a TD. We should fire the defense coorinator because things are getting stale. :lol: :lol:

And don't get me started on how poorly the special teams played. Our kicker missed a 50 yard FG into the open end of Heinz Field! Not only that, but a confused player was running on the field when the kick was being made! And one time, Antonio Brown tried to reverse field on a punt return and actually lost yardage when he was running backward! Someone needs to fire Al "Captain Kangaroo" Everest yesterday!!!

:stirpot

hawaiiansteel
12-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Bires: Steelers just heating up

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/ca/9ca0e229-44c5-524a-811e-ee904f980c5c/4edc4ca476923.preview-300.jpg

Rashard Mendenhall runs for a first down against Cincinnati.

Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2011
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH -- Just before the Steelers took the field, Ben Roethlisberger delivered a simple pre-game message: "This is our time."

As an eighth-year pro, Roethlisberger has been around long enough to know that "our time" translates to meaningful regular-season games in December and January.

That's not to downplay the importance of games during the first three months of the season. But when the calendar flips to December, true championship contenders make their move.

"That was my message to the team," Roethlisberger said. "There is no time for should haves, would haves and could haves. We have to get it done."

Roethlisberger knows first-hand about the magnitude of finishing the regular season with authority. It means more when you impose your will on an opponent and win as playoff pressure mounts. In 2005, 2008 and 2010 before reaching the Super Bowl, the Steelers went 11-3 in their regular-season games in December and January.

It's a bit premature to pencil in the Steelers as AFC representatives in this season's Super Bowl, but they surely looked super in routing the Bengals 35-7 on Sunday.

What an impressive and significant December victory it was.

It improved the Steelers' record to 9-3 and allowed them to keep pace with the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North. And it all but ended the Bengals' chances of winning the division.

"These are the games that count," veteran linebacker James Farrior said of late season football. "These are the games that are going to put you in a place to make your run."

While the Bengals proved that they aren't quite ready for elite status, the Steelers proved that they are every bit the Super Bowl contender as anyone else in the AFC. On the day the Ravens, Patriots and Texans also improved to 9-3, while the Steelers played their best and most complete game of the season.

They made plays on offense. They made plays on defense. And they certainly made plays on special teams.

More than anything, it was three special teams plays that turned Sunday's game into a rout.

The first was Cameron Heyward's block of a 33-yard field goal try on the Bengals' first possession.

The second was linebacker Stevenson Sylvester dislodging the ball from Bengals kickoff returner Brandon Tate in the second quarter. The Steelers recovered at the Cincinnati 23-yard line, and three plays later, Mike Wallace caught a TD pass to make it 21-0.

The third special teams gem was Antonio Brown's 60-yard touchdown on a punt return.

"We can't pat ourselves on the back yet," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "But if we play well in all three phases like we did today, we will be a tough team to beat down the homestretch."

Already, the Steelers are 1-0 in December and should be 2-0 late Thursday night. The Browns (4-8) come to town in three days and it's hard to imagine them pulling an upset after the way they were blown out Sunday night by the Ravens.

The Steelers do have a tough Monday night game at San Francisco (10-2) on Dec. 19.

But they finish out the month at home against St. Louis (2-10) on Christmas Eve and then finish the regular season with a New Year's Day game in Cleveland.

If the Steelers are just starting to peak as Roethlisberger suggests, they are going to be tough to beat in the next few weeks. And if they do have another strong December/January finish, there's no telling how far they can go once the playoffs begin.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 36e62.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/bires-steelers-just-heating-up/article_ee96070b-33f3-5fca-ba3c-fb9882136e62.html)