PDA

View Full Version : Draft Troy's replacement in 2012?

WindyCitySteel
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
It took Troy a season and a half to "get it" in the NFL. Might take the next guy longer. If he comes along faster, play him at FS alongside Troy in his twilight.

I don't want to think about this defense with Mundy and Clark as our safeties.

Oviedo
12-02-2011, 11:29 AM
:Agree I've been saying for some time that in Round 1 we should seriously consider the best Safety on the board.

However, not sure that means TRoy's replacement. First Clark is a weaker link and needs to go first plus Troy is so unique it is highly unlikely you will find another player like him anytime soon.

Unfortunately, LeBeau has designed our defense around what Troy, and only Troy, can do so a complete rethink of our defense would be in order when Troy leaves.

snarky
12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Am I the only one who thinks we would get more pressure from the LBs if we had more surge at NT. Hampton has been great but I think he is fading faster than Troy. If we did better at the point of attack we wouldn't have to rely on Troy flying around like Captain America.

Oviedo
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one who thinks we would get more pressure from the LBs if we had more surge at NT. Hampton has been great but I think he is fading faster than Troy. If we did better at the point of attack we wouldn't have to rely on Troy flying around like Captain America.

I've been saying for a couple years that I would like to see our DL be given the freedom to penetrate and attack versus holding the LOS and occupying OL (hence my preference for a 4-3 defense). That is why I like Hoke, he always seems to be pentrating and making something happen behind the LOS.

pfelix73
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree with this way of thinking....However, instead of Troy's replacement- how about if we look for a Rod Woodson-type. We have yet to replace him. Although, that is kind of difficult to do...!

:tt1

phillyesq
12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
It took Troy a season and a half to "get it" in the NFL. Might take the next guy longer. If he comes along faster, play him at FS alongside Troy in his twilight.

I'm not sure that you're going to find a replacement for Troy. He is really a once in a lifetime type of player.

Another playmaker with coverage abilities at safety would be a great asset to the defense, and if there is a FS with playmaking ability available when the Steelers pick, I think that would be a great addition.

Going into the offseason, I'd put FS near the top of my priority list, probably second only to OG, with ILB and NT also up there.

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh yes..I've got that replacement right here. But he isnt eligible till 2013. A very similar type player.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19534 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19534)

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't see that guy in this year's draft (in fact, there may not be any first round safeties in 2012). A couple of years ago, I was really high on Eric Berry and Earl Thomas as potential elite-level safety prospects and hoped to grab one of those guys in the mid-first where we were drafting, but they were both off the board prior to our pick (Pouncey was a good consolation prize in spite of his not playing through tummyaches that result in a loss of 12 lbs).

StarSpangledSteeler
12-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Winston Guy (Kentucky) is an interesting prospect. He's fast, physical, and a great tackler.

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Winston Guy (Kentucky) is an interesting prospect. He's fast, physical, and a great tackler.

I would prefer Bacarri Rambo if he declares for the draft. A ball hawk play maker.

Shoe
12-02-2011, 10:41 PM

I dis :Agree

It sounds like you are thinking we should reach for the best Safety prospect at the time, and bring him in. I disagree. First of all, a Safety isn't that hard to find. Convert an old Corner, draft a guy (not in 1st), keep Mundy... there's no need to try and find "the next Troy" because there ain't gonna be one. Whatever position we see a "Troy" (i.e. a superstar in waiting), we should take him.

WindyCitySteel
12-03-2011, 12:23 AM

I dis :Agree

It sounds like you are thinking we should reach for the best Safety prospect at the time, and bring him in. I disagree. First of all, a Safety isn't that hard to find. Convert an old Corner, draft a guy (not in 1st), keep Mundy... there's no need to try and find "the next Troy" because there ain't gonna be one. Whatever position we see a "Troy" (i.e. a superstar in waiting), we should take him.

Full disclosure - I don't follow college ball and have no idea who is available. I'm just thinking Troy is getting near the end. I don't want the Steelers holding the bag when he's gone.

Dee Dub
12-03-2011, 05:04 PM
If he declares this year I sure would love to have Baccari Rambo. A ball hawking Free Safety.

Dee Dub
12-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Tonight Oklahoma versus Okalahoma State..watch Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson and you will see a lot of what you saw of Troy Polamalu while he was at USC.

TallyStiller
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, please.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Yes, please.

:Agree