PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Pouncey heals from virus

drprwnap
12-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Illness causes center to lose 12 pounds
Friday, December 02, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Maurkice Pouncey took a seat in the locker room, the stool beneath him supporting a much lighter load than it had a week earlier. Appropriately, a large trash can stood at the ready close by, just in case.

The Pro Bowl center has been on a diet of bread, yogurt and fluid since a violent stomach virus forced him from a game after 18 plays Sunday night against the Chiefs in Kansas City, Mo. It was not and has not been a pretty sight since then.

"Today's been the first day I actually feel pretty good," said Pouncey, who ran Thursday but did not practice.

He lost 12 pounds since he woke up ill Sunday in Kansas City, knocking him down to 279. He has since gained 2 pounds back and plans to play again Sunday against Cincinnati at Heinz Field.

"I'm definitely going to play," said Pouncey, who has missed just one game -- the Super Bowl Feb. 6 against the Green Bay Packers -- in his two seasons with the Steelers. He expects to practice today.

Pouncey was coughing and sneezing through Saturday night and into Sunday morning said his roommate, tackle Marcus Gilbert. Then Sunday, things took a turn for the worse. He arrived at Arrowhead Stadium and he lost everything he had in his stomach.

"I lost everything for the past month," Pouncey said.

He remained inside during warm-ups, but then took the field with his teammates and played into the second quarter, when he could play no more.

"I just wanted to play, man. In between the plays, I was having dry heaves, I couldn't stop trying to throw up. When I got to the sideline, they wanted to IV me."Gilbert, like Pouncey a former Florida Gators player, came to the Steelers a year after Pouncey to start on their offensive line as a rookie. He was amazed his teammate could even think of taking the field in Kansas City.

"I've never seen anything like that, especially him. He's played through injuries but this one was a bad deal. He was sick as a dog in the locker room. He was laid out in the bathroom floor with an IV on him."I'm glad I didn't get it."

Pouncey became the first rookie to nail down a starting job under coach Mike Tomlin, and made the Pro Bowl as a backup. His teammates and coaches say he's playing even better now.

"I think he's playing smarter than he was his rookie year," tackle Max Starks said. "It's just control, the comfort level with everything. I think it's slowed down in his mind. Still he's playing at the same high level. Now it's not as glamorous or as flashy because it's expected to be the standard now."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who has been coaching football since 1975, said Pouncey is "probably the toughest young kid I've ever coached. The energy level he brings to the team, you can't measure. It's great, it's what we thrive on in our offensive line. ... His presence in that huddle we miss."

Status reports
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sat out the latter part of practice Thursday when he hit his right hand -- and his broken right thumb -- on a helmet while throwing a pass. He spent the rest of practice watching, with an ice wrap on his hand.

Roethlisberger said he expects to be fine and so did his coach.

"A little sting on it, nothing major," Arians described it. "Just ice it down. The last period was mostly runs, just get it healed up properly."

In other injury news, Troy Polamalu returned to a full practice and appears ready to go Sunday. He still must pass concussion tests today. Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who returned to play Sunday after missing two games with a knee injury, did not practice Thursday because of an unspecified new injury to his foot. Receiver Arnaz Battle and linebacker Chris Carter, who have hamstring injuries, also did not practice.

Rumor control
Arians, who was mentioned in published reports in Alabama as a possible candidate to become head coach at the University of Mississippi, had a good laugh when he heard about it.

"I can't stand rookies, man, no way in hell I can coach college guys. It's flattering, it's a great university. I do have friends there. I was a Mississippi State guy six years so it would be hard to go to Ole Miss. I'm not a candidate, believe me. Those days have passed me by."

On the other hand, Arians believes quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and running backs coach Kirby Wilson would be viable candidates. Fichtner has been named as a possible candidate for the University of Memphis opening, although no one has contacted him.

"I think Randy would be a great college head coach, whether it be Ole Miss or Memphis and would do a fantastic job, as would Kirby," Arians said.

Arians' mark threatened
In 1974, the year Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's career home run record, another record was being set that went relatively unnoticed: Virginia Tech's quarterback rushed for 11 touchdowns that season, which still stands as the school record for the position.

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech's current quarterback, has rushed for 10 this season and is on the verge of breaking the record that even Michael Vick could not touch.

"Dang, I thought I had that thing locked up," said Arians, who quarterbacked the Hokies to a 4-7 record in 1974. "When we were a passing offense I was a running quarterback, and when we were a running offense I was a passing quarterback. We ran the wishbone my senior year. Every time we had it inside the 10, I kept it. My longest run might have been 8 yards."

Virginia Tech (11-1) plays Clemson Saturday for the Atlantic Coast Conference championship and a bowl appearance will follow. Thus Thomas will have played three more games than Arians did 37 years ago

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11336/11 ... z1fNsLRLMZ (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11336/1193992-66-0.stm#ixzz1fNsLRLMZ)

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Mountain Men like Mike Webster or Dermontti Dawson wouldn't let a li'l ol' loss of 12 measly pounds slow them down! :stirpot

Of course, if Mike Webster (playing weight 255 lbs) lost 12 lbs, he'd be James Farrior's playing weight (243 lbs). Imagine a guy Farrior's size trying to block an NFL nose tackle.

WindyCitySteel
12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
That's some "tummy ache".

snarky
12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
If I'm remembering my biology correctly, dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea can upset a person's K/Na balance and (I'm fuzzy on the details) make it difficult to turn ADP into ATP -- which means your cells eventually have to start breaking down proteins/enzymes for energy.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
If I'm remembering my biology correctly, dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea can upset a person's K/Na balance and (I'm fuzzy on the details) make it difficult to turn ADP into ATP -- which means your cells eventually have to start breaking down proteins/enzymes for energy.

What he said. :D

WindyCitySteel
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Check out the big brain on Brad!

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=25869,filename=pulp-fiction-bigbrainonbrad.jpg

snarky
12-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Sorry. Guess I wanted to point out that being dehydrated is often more than just feeling thirsty (or having a tummy ache lol).

flippy
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
What a wuss. Webby's iron stomach and bladder wouldn't have let out 12 pounds on gameday.

Maybe Pouncey should be doing more planks and working on his core.

Not sure if that helps develop organs, but that's beside the point. When Mike Webster does planks it helps strengthen his organs.

Ghost
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Clearly he just didn't want to play. Why was he only laying on the bathroom floor and taking an IV instead of standing getting that IV? Wasn't even trying.... :roll:

If this site gave out awards for 'Dumbest Thread of the Year' the Pouncey thread would win hands down and thats saying a hell of a lot!

WindyCitySteel
12-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Sorry. Guess I wanted to point out that being dehydrated is often more than just feeling thirsty (or having a tummy ache lol).

No apology necessary. I was impressed. I vaguely remember some of those terms from biology class a couple decades and a half ago.

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Funny....before the game and during the game (where he wanted to fight another player), he didnt look all that sick to me.

But hey..I come from a whole different era, raised on a block that when it came to football, flu like symptoms didnt stop us from playing in a game. especially one that had post season implications.

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Clearly he just didn't want to play. Why was he only laying on the bathroom floor and taking an IV instead of standing getting that IV? Wasn't even trying.... :roll:

If this site gave out awards for 'Dumbest Thread of the Year' the Pouncey thread would win hands down and thats saying a hell of a lot!

Ghost you dont have to agree with my opinion but do you really have to resort to insults?

I treat you with respect.....can yo do the same? Thanks.

Peace.

Slapstick
12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Funny....before the game and during the game (where he wanted to fight another player), he didnt look all that sick to me.

But hey..I come from a whole different era, raised on a block that when it came to football, flu like symptoms didnt stop us from playing in a game. especially one that had post season implications.

I come from a distant time as well...one where we don't make harsh, knee-jerk judgments based upon a few words from an announcer and a snippet of videotape...

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 04:09 PM

I come from a distant time as well...one where we don't make harsh, knee-jerk judgments based upon a few words from an announcer and a snippet of videotape...

No..I would never do that. I am basing my opinion on what I saw of Pouncey before the game and during the game.

feltdizz
12-02-2011, 04:22 PM

I come from a time when we walked uphill to school both ways...

Really, I'm from the Burgh and I lived on a hill and the school was also on a hill so I had to walk uphill twice.

I'm sorry Dub and I apologize to the board but I have to say this...

NEGRO PLEASE

feltdizz
12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":252ak85g]Funny....before the game and during the game (where he wanted to fight another player), he didnt look all that sick to me.

No..I would never do that. I am basing my opinion on what I saw of Pouncey before the game and during the game.[/quote:252ak85g]

so it's based on a snippet before the game and what you saw during the game...

but what you heard since then still puts Pouncey on soft status... what block are you from and how cold did it get?

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2zc0tbsb]Funny....before the game and during the game (where he wanted to fight another player), he didnt look all that sick to me.

No..I would never do that. I am basing my opinion on what I saw of Pouncey before the game and during the game.

but what you heard since then still puts Pouncey on soft status... what block are you from and how cold did it get?[/quote:2zc0tbsb]

Yes

and....

Santana Block Compton California.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
[quote=Slapstick][quote="Dee Dub":3lf28wwv]Funny....before the game and during the game (where he wanted to fight another player), he didnt look all that sick to me.

but what you heard since then still puts Pouncey on soft status... what block are you from and how cold did it get?[/quote:3lf28wwv]

Yes

and....

Santana Block Compton California.[/quote:3lf28wwv]

Weather wasn't an issue, except when it was raining bullets. :wink:

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Weather wasn't an issue, except when it was raining bullets. :wink:

That is funny. :lol:

But this week we did have 90 mph winds out here. People had trees inside their homes.

Ghost
12-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Ghost you dont have to agree with my opinion but do you really have to resort to insults?

Peace.

I've been here since the beginning and people will vouch for me that I don't normally attack people or go after them personally but I'm not going to apologize for what I said. I meant ever word of it. Your questioning of Pouncey even before the facts came out made it the dumbest thread of the year, possibly the dumbest I've ever seen on this board.

After reading that the man was literally laying on the shower floor taking an IV to try to make it on to the field before the game; you still continue to hold your ridiculous stance that he's not tough or didn't care.

So either you are a complete ignoramus, or you refuse to admit you jumped the gun w/o knowing everything involved (you know, things such as medical science), or you are delusional in thinking you were EVER tougher then Pouncey for even one second when you stepped on the field. Guess it could be a combo of all three.

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 07:21 PM

Peace.

I've been here since the beginning and people will vouch for me that I don't normally attack people or go after them personally but I'm not going to apologize for what I said. I meant ever word of it. Your questioning of Pouncey even before the facts came out made it the dumbest thread of the year, possibly the dumbest I've ever seen on this board.

After reading that the man was literally laying on the shower floor taking an IV to try to make it on to the field before the game; you still continue to hold your ridiculous stance that he's not tough or didn't care.

So either you are a complete ignoramus, or you refuse to admit you jumped the gun w/o knowing everything involved (you know, things such as medical science), or you are delusional in thinking you were EVER tougher then Pouncey for even one second when you stepped on the field. Guess it could be a combo of all three.

Ok no problem. I still can show you respect. That’s just who I am.

Peace brother.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2011, 03:19 AM
Steelers Notebook

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Nov 30, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/100/1007464.jpg

PITTSBURGH – Maurkice Pouncey stayed away from practice Wednesday to get another day of rest before returning from a stomach virus that had him down late last week and through Sunday’s game in Kansas City.

Pouncey missed pre-game warm-ups Sunday night because of the bug, and then played only a quarter-plus against the Chiefs before leaving the game sick. But in that quarter-plus, Pouncey played as well and with as much energy as he ever has.

“That’s Pounce,” said his close friend and right tackle Marcus Gilbert. “He wanted to go back out but coach [Mike] Tomlin wouldn’t let him. It was pretty bad. He got an IV back in the locker room. He was sick as a dog. He’s still under the weather, but he’ll be back.”

Pouncey didn’t play like he was sick. He was his typical feisty self with the Chiefs, particularly Kelly Gregg. Also, when tempers flared between Mike Wallace and a Chiefs defensive back Pouncey sprinted from the sideline to the center of the field to assist his teammate.

Those aren’t the actions of a sick man, are they?

“You should’ve seen him between plays,” said right guard Ramon Foster. “If you watch the TV copy you don’t see him bent over. At one point I was smacking his back to try to get the cold up out of him. He was deathly ill. He was really hurting. But his attitude is to play, and if he’s playing he’s playing hard.

“You can’t buy that kind of stuff nowhere,” Foster added. “That’s just him.”

POUNCEY WASN’T ALONE

James Harrison also played at several notches less than 100 percent, but wouldn’t admit it.

Harrison did say he experienced upper back problems, not the lower-back problems with which he’s struggled since undergoing two surgeries last off-season.

“The lower back is doing good,” he said. “I had upper back spasms. That’s why I didn’t do too much on Friday (at practice).”

Harrison was asked if the upper back issue slowed him down Sunday night.

“Nope,” he said.

POLAMALU ABSENT

Troy Polamalu is expected to play Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals after Tomlin reported his strong safety has not experienced any concussion symptoms since leaving the playing field Sunday night.

However, Polamalu was nowhere to be seen at the practice facility Wednesday. Polamalu’s partner in the deep patrol, Ryan Clark, was asked if he, like Polamalu, had ever come up to slam into a receiver out of the backfield, only to find out it was a 300-pound tackle.

“Oh, I do that, on purpose though,” said Clark. “The difference between Troy and I is I would’ve hit him in the chest because I feel like that’s where I have my best chance. Troy’s really good at getting people on the ground that way (by hitting low). That’s just what he does. He’s special at it. So for him sometimes I think it puts him in the way of knees and things like that.”

WOODLEY BACK

As expected, LaMarr Woodley returned to practice Wednesday and could play Sunday against the Bengals. He answered questions for reporters with a smile and few words as Tomlin, his coach, stood with the reporters right in front of Woodley.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1134404.html

Flasteel
12-03-2011, 11:40 AM
[quote=Ghost]Clearly he just didn't want to play. Why was he only laying on the bathroom floor and taking an IV instead of standing getting that IV? Wasn't even trying.... :roll:

Peace.

Ok no problem. I still can show you respect. That’s just who I am.

Peace brother.[/quote:1efeab38]

You can show respect, because you are a respectful guy (at least Dee Dub 3.0 is). That doesn't mean that you are incapable of creating the dumbest thread of the year. Ghost is also a long-time respectful member of this community and what he stated wasn't even close to being disrespectful or over-the-top, in my opinion.

I think every other poster on this forum would find your remarks to be premature at best and most likely find your stance to be absurd.

What I find to be ridiculous, is that you don't have the courage to admit you are wrong...or at least jumped the gun with your criticism (hmmm...where have we heard that?).

If you are indeed a respectful man, then where is your respect for Pouncey? The brother is laid-out in the locker room with a giant friggin' needle in his arm, while violently emptying his stomach contents. He is having the dry heaves between every play and his team mates describe him as being "deathly ill". Despite these circumstances, he is able to get out there and beat the man in front of him...as regularly does. He wants to go back in for more, but the head coach won't let him (did you call out Troy for being a pussy?).

And you tell him to take his skirt off. Even after learning of the details, you believe he didn't man-up.

Dude. :?

snarky
12-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I have to say that I'm not as impressed as you seem to think I should be that you come from a neighborhood where people would encourage a guy to jeopardize his life just to stay in a game.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2011, 02:55 AM
I'm glad Pouncey is our center and won't question his toughness.

can you say Sean Mahan?

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=30611

pittpete
12-04-2011, 12:45 PM
HSteel, please remove that pic, it's very disturbing to me..