PDA

View Full Version : Could we use Hines on Defense?

flippy
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I was watching the Patriots this weekend and they ran out of DBs and started using Julianne Eldleman at DB. Surprisingly, that kid was making an impact. He was decent in coverage, but most of all, he was hitting lke a madman.

Looked like he was having a ball.

Then it go me wondering. We have all these excess WRs. Not as many play for Hines. And we knows he probably likes hitting guys more than anything.

Could we turn Hines lose at FS? Or at least give him a shot?

I bet he could be a terror on D.

And at least we know he has hands and can play the ball in the air. That's better than anything we've got on that side of the ball.

I know he may suck on D. I know he has no experience. But would it hurt that much to try it out to see what he can do over there?

Hines lays the wood on guys wearing jerseys that start with 9s. Imagine what he could do in press coverage. I bet he'd love the challenge. And Carnell could coach him up.

aggiebones
12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
We have plenty of defense guys that can move around. Bill likes to do this from time to time. He used Troy Brown over there multiple times in the past.

Hines could not play DB, maybe as an extra guy in the box somehow. But more than likely just get himself killed. He hasn't played D probably since HS, almost 20 yrs ago!

Brown, Wallace, Cotchery or Sanders are not options. Maybe Battle. He plays STs and knows how to tackle.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I think Hines is too slow at this point to be much help on defense.

The best way to use him is the way we are using him. He's good as a receiver when it comes to finding a soft spot in the opponents' zone (short to medium routes), and he's good as a blocker. Still a good red zone target, IMO. Might be able to use him in the backfield as a blocking back, but then, I guess we have our TEs for that.

D Rock
12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
just get the man his 3 catches per game, which he has more than earned the right to have, and let him be on his way after this year.

pittpete
12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I'd rather let him take over BA's job 8)

flippy
12-01-2011, 03:10 PM

The best way to use him is the way we are using him. He's good as a receiver when it comes to finding a soft spot in the opponents' zone (short to medium routes), and he's good as a blocker. Still a good red zone target, IMO. Might be able to use him in the backfield as a blocking back, but then, I guess we have our TEs for that.

Larry Foote's slow, but it hasn't slowed him down.

I still like Hines in the Red Zone too. He seals the edge better than most TEs. And no one runs a pick like Ward. He's really good at helping get other guys open.

But the problem is if we can't run the ball, Ward loses some of his value. No sense using Ward if Mendy's never getting past Pouncey.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 08:15 PM

I still like Hines in the Red Zone too. He seals the edge better than most TEs. And no one runs a pick like Ward. He's really good at helping get other guys open.

But the problem is if we can't run the ball, Ward loses some of his value. No sense using Ward if Mendy's never getting past Pouncey.
$$$

One reason why he's not on the field as much now.

aggiebones
12-02-2011, 11:56 AM
?

They are paying him for the season, not per play.

WindyCitySteel
12-02-2011, 12:36 PM

:wft

flippy
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM

:wft

It was just a non sequitur.

Dee Dub
12-02-2011, 06:12 PM
We have plenty of defense guys that can move around. Bill likes to do this from time to time. He used Troy Brown over there multiple times in the past.

Hines could not play DB, maybe as an extra guy in the box somehow. But more than likely just get himself killed. He hasn't played D probably since HS, almost 20 yrs ago!

Brown, Wallace, Cotchery or Sanders are not options. Maybe Battle. He plays STs and knows how to tackle.

He did play QB and RB at Georgia. I saw him chuck it for over 400 yards versus Florida State one game.

Which brings me to the question of why the Steelers never let him throw it or run a wild cat with him? Every time they ever had a receiver throw it it was usually ARE. From what I remember Hines had a pretty descent arm.

Shoe
12-02-2011, 10:35 PM

I think he definitely had the skills to play Safety. He had enough speed (in his prime), good instincts, great hands (for a DB), and tough as nails. Probably would've made a fine FS.

At this point though, as said, too difficult. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

flippy
12-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Edleman looked like he was having the time of his life trying to kill someone on D. And it just made me think, I wonder what Hines would look like if he ever got that chance.

You just know he'd be out there trying to make it look like Clark hits like a pansy.

Just imagine, we're playing GB in the SuperBowl and you let Hines blitz off the corner. You just know Hines would be trying to take Rodgers out of the game.

The way Edleman was approaching playing D made me wonder why would they even try to put this guy on O?

winwithd
12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
If Hines is too slow to be receiver, how would he ever be able to play safety? At least when he is on offense he has the advantage of knowing where he is going and not having to react to someone else's move.