PDA

View Full Version : Ok I am on record..and calling my shot!!

Dee Dub
11-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I have been saying all season that Cordy Glenn is a bonafide talent. I have seen nearly all of his games. Not only has he been dominate but he has shown that he can play LT. I believe he will probably be the more dominate force at guard in the NFL but nothing I have seen has shown me he cant play tackle in the NFL. I do not care what any expert or any fan says about his feet being too slow. He has shown me that he has a more than adequate set up and his strength and his long arms counter any flaws he may have.

So...this weekend he goes up against the number 1 team in the country...LSU (SEC Championship game). I am on record as to saying that he will more than hold his on. Not saying he will dominate..but he will hold his own. And he is a legitimate prospect for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cool things is, we get to see Bacarri Rambo FS for Georgia as well. Another I would love to see the Steelers draft.

aggiebones
11-30-2011, 03:52 PM
We will not use a first round pick on a G this year, much to everyone's dismay. We might draft a G in the 3rd round. But I hope we just go get a solid veteran FA. Normally you can find solid Gs around. We don't pay alot of FAs, but we have been known to shop for Gs, safeties, etc on the cheap and can find solid players.

Dee Dub
11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
We will not use a first round pick on a G this year, much to everyone's dismay. We might draft a G in the 3rd round. But I hope we just go get a solid veteran FA. Normally you can find solid Gs around. We don't pay alot of FAs, but we have been known to shop for Gs, safeties, etc on the cheap and can find solid players.

I dont agree with that. On the O-line right now guard is the biggest need. And there are two in this draft (DeCastro and Glenn), worthy of a first round pick. The Steelers have not shy'd away from doing that for a future pro bowler like Alan Faneca. These two are legit immediate impact players. Where the Steelers draft that at another position is going to be a hard thing to fill (immediate impact).

Shawn
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I could see the Steelers taking a G, T, FS, or an ILB with the first pick. So, I'm very ok with us drafting a G if he is BPA.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
DeCastro would be the only 1st round G I want and he may be the only 1st round G by talent. Glenn is headed the wrong direction on the draft boards. This LSU game could knock him out of the 1st or solidify himself. I haven't seen anything elite about him that makes him a lock in the 1st. The draft is weak at the top of the G class and strong down the middle. The Steelers need some help inside but I don't think it will be a 1st round G when there could be a Top ILB or NT sitting there. DeCastro is your "Faneca"...not Glenn.

Dee Dub
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
DeCastro would be the only 1st round G I want and he may be the only 1st round G by talent. Glenn is headed the wrong direction on the draft boards. This LSU game could knock him out of the 1st or solidify himself. I haven't seen anything elite about him that makes him a lock in the 1st. The draft is weak at the top of the G class and strong down the middle. The Steelers need some help inside but I don't think it will be a 1st round G when there could be a Top ILB or NT sitting there. DeCastro is your "Faneca"...not Glenn.

I guess we've been watch two different players. I'll say it again, every game I have seen of him this year (nearly all of his games), he has been dominate at LT. And the idea is if he moves inside with less space on each side, he will be dominate at the next level. But we have differing opinions.

I like the dude myself.

fordfixer
11-30-2011, 10:22 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1xe11wja]DeCastro would be the only 1st round G I want and he may be the only 1st round G by talent. Glenn is headed the wrong direction on the draft boards. This LSU game could knock him out of the 1st or solidify himself. I haven't seen anything elite about him that makes him a lock in the 1st. The draft is weak at the top of the G class and strong down the middle. The Steelers need some help inside but I don't think it will be a 1st round G when there could be a Top ILB or NT sitting there. DeCastro is your "Faneca"...not Glenn.

I guess we've been watch two different players. I'll say it again, every game I have seen of him this year (nearly all of his games), he has been dominate at LT. And the idea is if he moves inside with less space on each side, he will be dominate at the next level. But we have differing opinions.

I like the dude myself.[/quote:1xe11wja]
But,but,but .....................................We need a kicker :shock: :lol: :lol:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM

I dont agree with that. On the O-line right now guard is the biggest need...

But Dee Dub - Don't we need to draft a Center first, given the major problems we have there?

Sorry dude, just couldn't help running with that one -

:Cheers

SteelCrazy
12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
When we start drafting for need that's when we'll return to the 80's....

steelblood
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
You are calling your shot that this player will "hold his own," "not dominate." I'm not sure that will prove your point that he is worth our first round pick.

I've watched several of his games too. I will say that he looked bad against Boise and has steadily improved all season. I think he is more physical and a better drive blocker than Decastro, but I think Decastro is more of a finished product. Glenn is legit and will be a very good pro guard, maybe RT.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":r665tece]DeCastro would be the only 1st round G I want and he may be the only 1st round G by talent. Glenn is headed the wrong direction on the draft boards. This LSU game could knock him out of the 1st or solidify himself. I haven't seen anything elite about him that makes him a lock in the 1st. The draft is weak at the top of the G class and strong down the middle. The Steelers need some help inside but I don't think it will be a 1st round G when there could be a Top ILB or NT sitting there. DeCastro is your "Faneca"...not Glenn.

I like the dude myself.[/quote:r665tece]

No..We have been watching the same. He had alot of ground to cover from the opener against Boise State. I will give him the pass after moving to LT. He improved against South Carolina..But He has never been dominant at LT at any point. He could be if he was still at G this year at the college level. He reminds me alot of Marcus Cannon. He will be a solid G in a power running scheme but won't be a true G. He will lumber in space and pulling...We have them. He has his opportunity right now against LSU. Center stage...We will see how he performs. Glenn is a bad workout away from falling out of the first. Because when that happens they will go back to the tape. I have seen enough on tape to justify the concern & questions that will arise. He is a very good football player...But the drop off from the top G is rather big right now when you put him in the Steelers scheme.

There is only one G I want in the 1st and that would be David DeCastro. He is a complete G and compares to the "Faneca" you mentioned. He is a finisher. He can move the DL off the LOS & He can turn his hips in the hole and seal off defenders. Very good technician & very good with his hands. He hits his target on the move ala Faneca coming out & easily can get to the second level coming off of combination blocks. There more I watch him...I could say he may be a better G prospect than Mike Pouncey last year. There is DeCastro...And then everyone else. And I will say it again...The only G I want in the 1st is DeCastro. Right now...If DeCastro is gone...I'm not reaching for anyone at G in the 1st. The Steelers have other needs and there will be players graded out at NT & ILB who may still be on the board. G is a need but you have to look at how the board looks to be set. If you put Decastro & Glenn is last years draft...Decastro is still gone in the first and I'm not sure Glenn grades as 1st round talent. He can change the minds of many against LSU. I could be one but he needs that game to change my mind.

pfelix73
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
OK- I'm on record too. We will not draft a OG in the 1st round in 2012. Too many GREATER needs elsewhere.

I agree that FA would be a wise way to get a decent OG, IF they feel it necessary that we even need another one on the roster. It's way too early to figure out what will happen- let's finish the season first....

Dee Dub
12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
You are calling your shot that this player will "hold his own," "not dominate." I'm not sure that will prove your point that he is worth our first round pick....

That's not what I said. You left out a word..."more than hold his own"..is what I said. And I think that is justified since LSU is clearly the best team in all of college and loaded with NFL first round picks on the defenseive side of the ball.

Dee Dub
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1hrurnhr][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1hrurnhr]DeCastro would be the only 1st round G I want and he may be the only 1st round G by talent. Glenn is headed the wrong direction on the draft boards. This LSU game could knock him out of the 1st or solidify himself. I haven't seen anything elite about him that makes him a lock in the 1st. The draft is weak at the top of the G class and strong down the middle. The Steelers need some help inside but I don't think it will be a 1st round G when there could be a Top ILB or NT sitting there. DeCastro is your "Faneca"...not Glenn.

I like the dude myself.[/quote:1hrurnhr]

No..We have been watching the same. He had alot of ground to cover from the opener against Boise State. I will give him the pass after moving to LT. He improved against South Carolina..But He has never been dominant at LT at any point. He could be if he was still at G this year at the college level. He reminds me alot of Marcus Cannon. He will be a solid G in a power running scheme but won't be a true G. He will lumber in space and pulling...We have them. He has his opportunity right now against LSU. Center stage...We will see how he performs. Glenn is a bad workout away from falling out of the first. Because when that happens they will go back to the tape. I have seen enough on tape to justify the concern & questions that will arise. He is a very good football player...But the drop off from the top G is rather big right now when you put him in the Steelers scheme.

There is only one G I want in the 1st and that would be David DeCastro. He is a complete G and compares to the "Faneca" you mentioned. He is a finisher. He can move the DL off the LOS & He can turn his hips in the hole and seal off defenders. Very good technician & very good with his hands. He hits his target on the move ala Faneca coming out & easily can get to the second level coming off of combination blocks. There more I watch him...I could say he may be a better G prospect than Mike Pouncey last year. There is DeCastro...And then everyone else. And I will say it again...The only G I want in the 1st is DeCastro. Right now...If DeCastro is gone...I'm not reaching for anyone at G in the 1st. The Steelers have other needs and there will be players graded out at NT & ILB who may still be on the board. G is a need but you have to look at how the board looks to be set. If you put Decastro & Glenn is last years draft...Decastro is still gone in the first and I'm not sure Glenn grades as 1st round talent. He can change the minds of many against LSU. I could be one but he needs that game to change my mind.[/quote:1hrurnhr]

Dont agree. We agree to disagree. I think at the next level Glenn will be dominate.

But I will say this, my preference of two of course is DeCastro. I would love to have him instead and you are 100% corrrect on your assesment of him.

Dee Dub
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
OK- I'm on record too. We will not draft a OG in the 1st round in 2012. Too many GREATER needs elsewhere.

I agree that FA would be a wise way to get a decent OG, IF they feel it necessary that we even need another one on the roster. It's way too early to figure out what will happen- let's finish the season first....

Well I personally dont think there is a player in any other position where the Steelers will be drafting that can come in and make an immediate impact like DeCastro and Glenn will do at guard. And I am not talking about contributing. I am talking about the ability to start and be good at a high level from day one.

What player at this GREATER need where the Steelers will be drafting could make that type of immediate impact? I dont see it. And history says it usually doesnt happen.

pfelix73
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
"What player at this GREATER need where the Steelers will be drafting could make that type of immediate impact? I dont see it. And history says it usually doesnt happen."

Answer- I'll give ya one in March or April. But right now I want to support the 2011 Steelers!

:tt1

Slapstick
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Drafting for need is unwise...

Unless there is a confluence (I got so tired of Madden saying that as an announcer) of draft board and need, I don't want the Steelers to overdraft any player...

Dee Dub
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
"What player at this GREATER need where the Steelers will be drafting could make that type of immediate impact? I dont see it. And history says it usually doesnt happen."

Answer- I'll give ya one in March or April. But right now I want to support the 2011 Steelers!

:tt1

Ok you dont have to participate in these threads. Some of us here love talking Steelers draft all year round. So by doing this that means we aren't supporting the 2011 Steelers?? I dont get it. But regardless, sorry that you are offended by it.

And some of us here dont have to wait till April to answer your question. If the Steelers are picking at the back end of round one we are looking at another Cameron Heyward type of player. A tremendous prospect but will need time to develop before he becomes an impact player.

Dee Dub
12-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Forget guard....Cordy Glenn is one of the best LT is this draft. :Clap

Dee Dub
12-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok..I was correct. Cordy Glenn not only more than held his own versus LSU but he was dominate. Unfortunately the rest of the Georgia offense wasnt (especially those asked to catch passes). I am confinced Glenn not only could be a pro bowl guard in the NFL, but I also think he could play tackle in the NFL.

Game side notes: Morris Claiborne is one solid corner. The Honey Badger is a freak. And Bacarri Rambo is my favorite FS in all of college. Oh and sophmore ILB Alex Ogletree of Georgia is one to watch.

steelblood
12-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok..I was correct. Cordy Glenn not only more than held his own versus LSU but he was dominate. Unfortunately the rest of the Georgia offense wasnt (especially those asked to catch passes). I am confinced Glenn not only could be a pro bowl guard in the NFL, but I also think he could play tackle in the NFL.

Game side notes: Morris Claiborne is one solid corner. The Honey Badger is a freak. And Bacarri Rambo is my favorite FS in all of college. Oh and sophmore ILB Alex Ogletree of Georgia is one to watch.

I will give you that Glenn was the best offensive lineman on the field for Georgia. However, I would not say that he was dominant. They had little success running behind anyone and he was beaten a few times by Mingo and #99 with speed and spin moves. I agree that he'd be a great pro guard. He moves really well for his size and can be dominant in the run game. I think he'd make a good G or RT in our system.

Other players I liked in the game...

Lonegran the Center for LSU. He is a JR. He has plenty of size to play guard in the pros. In every LSU game I've seen, he dominates in the second half. He destroyed Geathers and Jenkins (the two 350 pound NTs for Georgia). IMHO, he was the best player on the field in the second half of the game.

Hurst and Hebert were also very impressive on the LSU line.

Claiborne is a great talent. He got fooled badly on that double move early, but other than that he was lights out. I believe he'll be a top 15 pick.

Orson Charles is a nice H-back type or move TE. He doesn't really fit the Steelers mold, but he is really quick and has great hands.

The young RB 27 (Hilliard?) for LSU was a load to bring down and showed nice receiving skills. He'll be one to watch in the future.

The entire LSU d-line. They are the most dominant group in college football. And, most of them are freshman and sophomores.

Who I didn't like....

Brandon Boykin. This kid is poison. His effort is really weak as an open field tackler. He is often hesitant to take on ball carriers. Not a Steeler type in any way. He has the talent to be a good CB and return guy, but he'll give up as many big plays as he makes.

Jenkins (#6 for Georgia). He is a Jr 3-4 350 pound NT (also plays some DE). He has talent and is a good interior pocket collapsed on pass plays. But, he was totally overmatched by Lonegran and Hebert. They pushed him around all night. He couldn't hold up against the double team and had trouble finding the ball when he was single blocked. Geathers (the other 350 pound NT for Georgia) played a little better but got way fewer reps.

Dee Dub
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM

I will give you that Glenn was the best offensive lineman on the field for Georgia. However, I would not say that he was dominant. They had little success running behind anyone and he was beaten a few times by Mingo and #99 with speed and spin moves. I agree that he'd be a great pro guard. He moves really well for his size and can be dominant in the run game. I think he'd make a good G or RT in our system.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Only once did Glenn get beat and that was by (#99) Sean Montgomery, which resulted in a sack, however, it was a coverage sack recorded all the way on the otherside of the right hash mark. Mingo had no sacks. And he was primarly coming from the opposite side of Glenn. Nearly the whole game Glenn was matched up against Sean Montgomery who had 3 total tackles (one being the coverage sack).

So in 40 pass attempts by Georgia, Glenn gave up one coverage sack. That was the only pressure he allowed all game. And asking a guy to block for 7 seconds that results in a sack all the way on the other side of the field, I think I can live with. This was the LSU Tigers he went up against. The best team in college with probably the best defense in all of college. Cordy Glenn, too me, was dominate.

feltdizz
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
LSU's defense wasn't that great on Saturday. Georgia should have been up 21-0 at halftime.

I really wish OK State would play LSU. I want to see their D vs a good offense with some big targets.

Dee Dub
12-05-2011, 12:29 AM
LSU's defense wasn't that great on Saturday. Georgia should have been up 21-0 at halftime.

Did you watch the game? That had a lot to do with the LSU offense not being able to move the ball. LSU's offense had no first downs in the first half of the game. 6 times they had the ball and 6 times they had to punt with out gaining a first down. That is pretty hard on any defense to overcome. But I stand by my opinion this LSU defense is one of the best in all of college, if not the best. They may have 7 or 8 future first round picks on that defense.

I really wish OK State would play LSU. I want to see their D vs a good offense with some big targets.

Me too.

On another note, if and when LSU wins this National Title is this going to be the worst offense ever to win one?

steelblood
12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1vh32m7c]Ok..I was correct. Cordy Glenn not only more than held his own versus LSU but he was dominate. Unfortunately the rest of the Georgia offense wasnt (especially those asked to catch passes). I am confinced Glenn not only could be a pro bowl guard in the NFL, but I also think he could play tackle in the NFL.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Only once did Glenn get beat and that was by (#99) Sean Montgomery, which resulted in a sack, however, it was a coverage sack recorded all the way on the otherside of the right hash mark. Mingo had no sacks. And he was primarly coming from the opposite side of Glenn. Nearly the whole game Glenn was matched up against Sean Montgomery who had 3 total tackles (one being the coverage sack).

So in 40 pass attempts by Georgia, Glenn gave up one coverage sack. That was the only pressure he allowed all game. And asking a guy to block for 7 seconds that results in a sack all the way on the other side of the field, I think I can live with. This was the LSU Tigers he went up against. The best team in college with probably the best defense in all of college. Cordy Glenn, too me, was dominate.[/quote:1vh32m7c]

I didn't say that Mingo had a sack. I said he "beat" Glenn. Mingo beat him cleanly for a QB pressure. It was a speed move and Glenn hardly laid a hand on him. Pressures matter. The box score doesn't tell the whole story.

Again, I am agreeing that he is a good prospect. But, I would not say he was dominate in that game. He was good, maybe even very good, against NFL talent.

Finally, there is no need to be so obnoxious. We can have a great time discussing the draft (I respect your football knowledge and opinions) without the chest thumping and "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!" That is beneath you.

feltdizz
12-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Did you watch the game? That had a lot to do with the LSU offense not being able to move the ball. LSU's offense had no first downs in the first half of the game. 6 times they had the ball and 6 times they had to punt with out gaining a first down. That is pretty hard on any defense to overcome. But I stand by my opinion this LSU defense is one of the best in all of college, if not the best. They may have 7 or 8 future first round picks on that defense.

Me too.

On another note, if and when LSU wins this National Title is this going to be the worst offense ever to win one?

disgusting... I'm not knocking LSU because they beat who was in front of them but it's like the Ravens or the Bucs. Everything but the offense wins games for them and now they get a rematch with a team they beat on the road who also has a horrible QB and a great D.

College bowls suck.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I like Glenn more after watching him play against LSU. He wouldn't be my first choice obviously at G but I think he solidified his case for 1st round consideration.

That being said, the more & more I watch the Steelers OL come together the more I side to the ILB & NT prospects. If DeCastro & Glenn are gone, which appears highly likely, there isn't anyone on the OL I would consider in the 1st. I'm really not excited about the picks outside the Top 20 in the 1st at OL. I'm going to throw a list of name out that very well could be a group of guys we are looking at with the positions we think should be targeted. Burfict, to me, isn't in the 1st anymore and could very well be a guy the Steelers don't even look at. He was my choice if he came out but I am soured on him now too.

OL Glenn
ILB Kuechly
OT Adams
ILB Te'o
DT Worthy
DT Poe

Glenn & Kuechly seem to be removing themselves from that list. To me, if there is a guy at ILB that just screams "Steeler Guy" that may grade out in this area it is Te'o. Imagine what Te'o would be if he choose USC instead. If it wasn't for expressing his LDS mission during recruitment and Carroll's reports to all LDS recruits he wouldn't hold their scholarships...He may have been at USC. I wonder what he would have done with that talent pool around him. So I guess we will have to wait and see. Let's win the SB and go from there.

Dee Dub
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":2oqt71n3]Ok..I was correct. Cordy Glenn not only more than held his own versus LSU but he was dominate. Unfortunately the rest of the Georgia offense wasnt (especially those asked to catch passes). I am confinced Glenn not only could be a pro bowl guard in the NFL, but I also think he could play tackle in the NFL.

So in 40 pass attempts by Georgia, Glenn gave up one coverage sack. That was the only pressure he allowed all game. And asking a guy to block for 7 seconds that results in a sack all the way on the other side of the field, I think I can live with. This was the LSU Tigers he went up against. The best team in college with probably the best defense in all of college. Cordy Glenn, too me, was dominate.

I didn't say that Mingo had a sack. I said he "beat" Glenn. Mingo beat him cleanly for a QB pressure. It was a speed move and Glenn hardly laid a hand on him. Pressures matter. The box score doesn't tell the whole story.

Again, I am agreeing that he is a good prospect. But, I would not say he was dominate in that game. He was good, maybe even very good, against NFL talent.

Finally, there is no need to be so obnoxious. We can have a great time discussing the draft (I respect your football knowledge and opinions) without the chest thumping and "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!" That is beneath you.[/quote:2oqt71n3]

Steelblood, I didnt mean to insult you or be rude. If I came off that way I apologize. I watched every play of that game and in particular what Glenn did. I am pretty sure that Mingo came from the inside on that play you are referring too. All game long Glenn had Montgomery lined up to the outside of him and he pretty much had him one on one.

I think a LT that keeps his QB clean and allows for his QB to have protection from his blindside against a team like LSU to me is dominate.

Dee Dub
12-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I like Glenn more after watching him play against LSU. He wouldn't be my first choice obviously at G but I think he solidified his case for 1st round consideration.

That being said, the more & more I watch the Steelers OL come together the more I side to the ILB & NT prospects. If DeCastro & Glenn are gone, which appears highly likely, there isn't anyone on the OL I would consider in the 1st. I'm really not excited about the picks outside the Top 20 in the 1st at OL. I'm going to throw a list of name out that very well could be a group of guys we are looking at with the positions we think should be targeted. Burfict, to me, isn't in the 1st anymore and could very well be a guy the Steelers don't even look at. He was my choice if he came out but I am soured on him now too.

OL Glenn
ILB Kuechly
OT Adams
ILB Te'o
DT Worthy
DT Poe

Glenn & Kuechly seem to be removing themselves from that list. To me, if there is a guy at ILB that just screams "Steeler Guy" that may grade out in this area it is Te'o. Imagine what Te'o would be if he choose USC instead. If it wasn't for expressing his LDS mission during recruitment and Carroll's reports to all LDS recruits he wouldn't hold their scholarships...He may have been at USC. I wonder what he would have done with that talent pool around him. So I guess we will have to wait and see. Let's win the SB and go from there.

I pretty much agree with your post. As much as I like Glenn, I know DeCastro is the better player and he is the one I would prefer. One thing I dont agree with is I think despite Burficts' less than stellar season ( his whole team was bad this year), I do think he will be an above average player and possible pro bowler in the NFL. Especially if he gets on a defense like the Steelers or Ravens. I'd take Te'o too.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I pretty much agree with your post. As much as I like Glenn, I know DeCastro is the better player and he is the one I would prefer. One thing I dont agree with is I think despite Burficts' less than stellar season ( his whole team was bad this year), I do think he will be an above average player and possible pro bowler in the NFL. Especially if he gets on a defense like the Steelers or Ravens. I'd take Te'o too.

I'm not knocking Burfict "the football skills" at all. He was the guy I wanted. I think he could also have a pro bowl type of career much like Ray Lewis. I still think he is clearly 1st round talent and would love him as a Steeler. I just think his stupid penalties on the field as late will sour many on him and we all know the Steelers and how they look upon it. Just hard to guess what all of it will do to his draft stock.

Dee Dub
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":kx0gqm91] I pretty much agree with your post. As much as I like Glenn, I know DeCastro is the better player and he is the one I would prefer. One thing I dont agree with is I think despite Burficts' less than stellar season ( his whole team was bad this year), I do think he will be an above average player and possible pro bowler in the NFL. Especially if he gets on a defense like the Steelers or Ravens. I'd take Te'o too.

I'm not knocking Burfict "the football skills" at all. He was the guy I wanted. I think he could also have a pro bowl type of career much like Ray Lewis. I still think he is clearly 1st round talent and would love him as a Steeler. I just think his stupid penalties on the field as late will sour many on him and we all know the Steelers and how they look upon it. Just hard to guess what all of it will do to his draft stock.[/quote:kx0gqm91]

JPN, what are your thoughts on a couple of safeties, Markele Martin and Bacarri Rambo?

steelblood
12-05-2011, 02:30 PM
[quote=steelblood][quote="Dee Dub":3pjgmhty]Ok..I was correct. Cordy Glenn not only more than held his own versus LSU but he was dominate. Unfortunately the rest of the Georgia offense wasnt (especially those asked to catch passes). I am confinced Glenn not only could be a pro bowl guard in the NFL, but I also think he could play tackle in the NFL.

Finally, there is no need to be so obnoxious. We can have a great time discussing the draft (I respect your football knowledge and opinions) without the chest thumping and "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!" That is beneath you.[/quote:3pjgmhty]

Steelblood, I didnt mean to insult you or be rude. If I came off that way I apologize. I watched every play of that game and in particular what Glenn did. I am pretty sure that Mingo came from the inside on that play you are referring too. All game long Glenn had Montgomery lined up to the outside of him and he pretty much had him one on one.

I think a LT that keeps his QB clean and allows for his QB to have protection from his blindside against a team like LSU to me is dominate.[/quote:3pjgmhty]

Dee Dub, No problem. We are cool.

I couldn't find the play I was looking for in any highlights montages. But, Mingo did rush from the RDE position in the game on more than one occasion. Check out the video at 31 seconds for an example...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjT39LXAzrM. Glenn didn't just block Montgomery as you suggest.

But, this is splitting hairs. I thought he played well and agree that he would be a nice addition to the team. Early in the game, Glenn looked good on down blocks in the running game too.

This draft will be a good one. Too bad the Browns and Bengals will have 4 picks in front of us.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":4qc9qxdi]Ok..I was correct. Cordy Glenn not only more than held his own versus LSU but he was dominate. Unfortunately the rest of the Georgia offense wasnt (especially those asked to catch passes). I am confinced Glenn not only could be a pro bowl guard in the NFL, but I also think he could play tackle in the NFL.

So in 40 pass attempts by Georgia, Glenn gave up one coverage sack. That was the only pressure he allowed all game. And asking a guy to block for 7 seconds that results in a sack all the way on the other side of the field, I think I can live with. This was the LSU Tigers he went up against. The best team in college with probably the best defense in all of college. Cordy Glenn, too me, was dominate.[/quote:4qc9qxdi]

I have to agree with Steelblood on this one. I think Glenn played well but not dominate. I think his hands are active but he doesn't appear to "latch on" which is what you need in the NFL. His footwork is just "okay" to me. His balance is just "okay" to me. But he has great size. The DE's he was facing in the LSU game are not elite pass rushers. He would face much stronger faster DE's in the NFL. I actually think right guard will be his best position in the NFL. If I were the Steelers I would take him in the second round but not the first.

Dee Dub
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM

I couldn't find the play I was looking for in any highlights montages. But, Mingo did rush from the RDE position in the game on more than one occasion. Check out the video at 31 seconds for an example...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjT39LXAzrM. Glenn didn't just block Montgomery as you suggest.

But, this is splitting hairs. I thought he played well and agree that he would be a nice addition to the team. Early in the game, Glenn looked good on down blocks in the running game too.

This draft will be a good one. Too bad the Browns and Bengals will have 4 picks in front of us.

Ok steelblood, maybe I should have clarified myself a little more. On every pass rush, Glenn had Montgomery one on one. This play you allude to at 31 seconds into the youtube is a run play. Looks as if it is an inside trap and Glenn, being the LT has sealed off his outside defender (Mingo).

steelblood
12-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Ok steelblood, maybe I should have clarified myself a little more. On every pass rush, Glenn had Montgomery one on one. This play you allude to at 31 seconds into the youtube is a run play. Looks as if it is an inside trap and Glenn, being the LT has sealed off his outside defender (Mingo).

Mingo lined up over Glenn on other plays (IIRC - at least one pass). This is the only one I could find in the highlight clips though. No biggie really.

Mingo is a fantastic player so I was watching him very closely. I think Mingo will be a top ten pick in a couple of years. I've heard LSU coaches say that he is so athletic that he could start at safety.