PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers have a horrible offense and defense!

aggiebones
11-30-2011, 02:36 PM
OK, I find it humorous that this board always has complaints about the offense or defense. Typically debates on both at the same time.

We are widely considered a top 5 team in the current season...and most seasons.

My question is, how do other fans survive?

I realize GB looks impossible to beat...though we were very close last year despite some abnormal turnovers in that game.

Should be a good finish to the season. I think we are in this thing down to the wire. No team is perfect and barring something really bad happening to Ben, I think we have as good a chance as any.

Will we complain down to the wire as well?

flippy
11-30-2011, 04:01 PM
If we can get healthy and Ike, Troy, Timmons, Woodley, Harrison, and Keisel play to the level they are capable, anything is possible in the post season.

And I'd feel better with one final drive and the ball in Ben's hands this year given the development of Brown and adding Cotchery.

The problem is we have a higher standard than most other fans. Anything less than winning the SuperBowl is failure.

And it feels like we may have too much work in front of us to be ready to win this year's SuperBowl.

That said, I do like that we're becoming battle tested and getting the collective experience in close games.

fezziwig
11-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Had the Packers receivers not dropped some passes. the Packers would have torched us in last seasons Super Bowl.

If Troy, Harrison, Ike, kiesel and whomever get healthy or play to the level they used to would be great.
Ike and Kiesel are still the guys they used to be.
The guys that lost a step due to age, injury or what ever are as follows.

Troy
Farrior
Hampton
Harrison
Hines.

I'm still not convinced Gay is anything more than a nickle.
Foote does good at times and other times he gets mowed over.
Ziggy hasn't done as well as he did last season.
Clark......I don't know if he has slowed down but I don't see him making the big stops like he used to but then again, Goodell has really tied his hands with his type of aggressive play.
I was sticking up for Ward and that speed was never his strong point but after watching him in the Kansas game, I can't believe he managed to get even slower.
Kemo will never arrive. Gilbert is still on a pass.
Pouncey had a better season last year in my opinion or teams are learning that he can't handle the speed guys.
Foster and Legs are backups.
Our field goal kicker is a gamble on pretty much anything over 30 yards.
Our red zone offense is offensive but that's okay, our defense makes up for it by allowing the other teams to maintain long scoring drives.
Tomlin needs to get a new offensive cordinator or maybe he thinks BA is the reason why we won two Super Bowls.
If we had to play the Pats again this season, Bellicheat will out coach Lebeau again and for sure BA.
One win against Brady in seven years or so doesn't mean we now own them.

Everyone has jumped on the slogan, " you are what your record says " Sorry fellows, that's just not true. It's true about the wins or losses but, it doesn't mean you built your record on beating good teams, other teams having injured players etc.

This team has a lot to fix before I believe we can win a playoff game.
Some guys are now to old
Some guys seemed to lose the hunger
BA sucks as a coach
Some guys are just not earning their paychecks.

Wilkinsburg
11-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Had the Packers receivers not dropped some passes. the Packers would have torched us in last seasons Super Bowl.

If Troy, Harrison, Ike, kiesel and whomever get healthy or play to the level they used to would be great.
Ike and Kiesel are still the guys they used to be.
The guys that lost a step due to age, injury or what ever are as follows.

Troy
Farrior
Hampton
Harrison
Hines.

I'm still not convinced Gay is anything more than a nickle.
Foote does good at times and other times he gets mowed over.
Ziggy hasn't done as well as he did last season.
Clark......I don't know if he has slowed down but I don't see him making the big stops like he used to but then again, Goodell has really tied his hands with his type of aggressive play.
I was sticking up for Ward and that speed was never his strong point but after watching him in the Kansas game, I can't believe he managed to get even slower.
Kemo will never arrive. Gilbert is still on a pass.
Pouncey had a better season last year in my opinion or teams are learning that he can't handle the speed guys.
Foster and Legs are backups.
Our field goal kicker is a gamble on pretty much anything over 30 yards.
Our red zone offense is offensive but that's okay, our defense makes up for it by allowing the other teams to maintain long scoring drives.
Tomlin needs to get a new offensive cordinator or maybe he thinks BA is the reason why we won two Super Bowls.
If we had to play the Pats again this season, Bellicheat will out coach Lebeau again and for sure BA.
One win against Brady in seven years or so doesn't mean we now own them.

Everyone has jumped on the slogan, " you are what your record says " Sorry fellows, that's just not true. It's true about the wins or losses but, it doesn't mean you built your record on beating good teams, other teams having injured players etc.

This team has a lot to fix before I believe we can win a playoff game.
Some guys are now to old
Some guys seemed to lose the hunger
BA sucks as a coach
Some guys are just not earning their paychecks.

Had Ben not uncharacteristically overthrown Wallace on a sure TD when we had all the momentum...the Steelers woulda took the lead and never looked back. We played HORRIBLE and still had a chance to win that game at the end.

fezziwig
11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
No doubt about it that we were in the game to the end. I'm just saying that the Packers were in the game with drop passes. To me being a contender from just a couple of three season before, having won two previous Super Bowls the Packers seemed more focused or not as nervous or something.
The Packers have nothing to apologize for with their win over us and they are putting a cherry on top of that Super Bowl win with a so far flawless season.

Had this seasons Packers played so up and down as our Steelers have had this season they too would have a lesser record at this point. The thing is, the Packers are not having issues with red zone woes, lack of turnovers on defense, etc. I wonder how long it will be that someone offers their offensive cordinator a head coaching job ?
My mistake, I'm sure everyone is lined up for Arians. With the great Arian run offense and our three Super Bowl appearances, I bet the media just brags this guy up something special and I'm sure his name is often mentioned for a head coaching job.

Not !

hawaiiansteel
11-30-2011, 09:17 PM
you forgot special teams... :D

feltdizz
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
GB was the first legit SB team we played with multiple weapons and a D with some play makers on it.

AZ and Seattle weren't stacked with weapons like GB.

jj28west
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
The Packs D 2011 edition can be dominated but having the addition of a healthy Finley makes GB look like a machine at times this year.

7 UP
12-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Almost every year there are times when the Ariens/Roethlisberger offense looks erratic and Brownsesc. The line always seems to struggle through the first part of the year. To answer your question, people say the offense sucks because, well, at times it does. However they always pull it together and start playing their best football before the playoffs.

Defensively is where people are spoiled. Fans are so used to seeing dominant defense here that seeing anything less than perfection is unacceptable. We believe that there should be constant pressure on every pass attempt and that our OLBS should register 25+ sacks every year. Anything less than that and we are unhappy.

I think what fans are looking for is that one year where we dont just win, we dominate the regular season. Its seems like we are always on the cusp of that, but it never quite happens. Look at the Bengals and Patriots games from this year. We looked completely dominant in those games at times. But what did the score of those games end up being?

SteelAbility
12-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Somehow we are 8-3, with our losses coming to teams who are a combined 16-6. One loss was obviously an aberration. One other came in the last 10 seconds. The third was a 7-point road loss where we were pretty much in it all the way to the end.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2011, 03:40 PM
No doubt about it that we were in the game to the end. I'm just saying that the Packers were in the game with drop passes. To me being a contender from just a couple of three season before, having won two previous Super Bowls the Packers seemed more focused or not as nervous or something.
The Packers have nothing to apologize for with their win over us and they are putting a cherry on top of that Super Bowl win with a so far flawless season.

Had this seasons Packers played so up and down as our Steelers have had this season they too would have a lesser record at this point. The thing is, the Packers are not having issues with red zone woes, lack of turnovers on defense, etc. I wonder how long it will be that someone offers their offensive cordinator a head coaching job ?
My mistake, I'm sure everyone is lined up for Arians. With the great Arian run offense and our three Super Bowl appearances, I bet the media just brags this guy up something special and I'm sure his name is often mentioned for a head coaching job.

Not !

The "no one wants to interview him for a head coaching job" argument against Arians continues to be weak. The Colts offense dominated the NFL for a decade. How often was O.C. Tom Moore's name ever brought up for a head coaching job? Does this mean he sucks, or does it just mean that NFL teams aren't looking to hire old dudes as first-time NFL head coaches?

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2011, 04:08 PM
The Packs D 2011 edition can be dominated but having the addition of a healthy Finley makes GB look like a machine at times this year.

to beat the Packers you have to be prepared to outscore them, something we could not do in the Super Bowl even after Green Bay was without their best DB in Charles Woodson.

pfelix73
12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd like another shot at GB........

:tt1

fezziwig
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Not !

The "no one wants to interview him for a head coaching job" argument against Arians continues to be weak. The Colts offense dominated the NFL for a decade. How often was O.C. Tom Moore's name ever brought up for a head coaching job? Does this mean he sucks, or does it just mean that NFL teams aren't looking to hire old dudes as first-time NFL head coaches?

Look at the Colts without Peyton......Everyone knows Peyton is the reason for their offenses good deeds. Just like everyone knows Ben is the force behind our offense.
If Arian leaves do you think our offense would get worse ? If Ben leaves and Arian remains, do you think our offense would be better or worse ?