PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace last season as a Steeler?

Mister Pittsburgh
11-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Do you guys think that this will be Mike Wallace last season as a Steeler? He is a free agent at years end if I am not mistaken. I think it would cost too much to bring him back and he will more than likely end up playing somewhere else after this season. I would rather bolster the OL and defense by letting him walk and unloading some veteran weight this offseason.

What would the savings be if we got rid of:
Ward - Hampton - Farrior - Aaron Smith - Kemo?

To me there is something wrong with the Steelers offensively where they can't fully run a wide open offense even though they have more weapons then 95% of the teams out there. I, like most on here, can't seem to figure out if it is Ben that holds them back, or Arians, or the OL, heck, maybe it is the Rooney's love of old school football that has prevented them from going wide open. But whatever it is, something holds them back. So with that in mind I would rather let the flash go, dump Arians, and get an OC that can appreciate a good FB and bolster the OL to go back to a run first team.

I would prefer they go wide open offense, but don't think they have the ability to do it even though all the cogs seem to be there.

Something is very wrong when you have a top 5 franchise QB, a decent stable of RB's, possibly the fastest WR in the entire league in Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Hines Ward, Jerico Cotchery, Heath Miller, Weslye Saunders, .....and then you put up 13 points on the 27th ranked defense in the league.

If they refuse to open it up, then go back to their roots and go run first instead of only going halfway with both styles of play.

aggiebones
11-30-2011, 01:45 PM
There will be quite a bit of dancing in meeting rooms and on the football field before anything is decided about Mike Wallace.

Slapstick
11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Wallace will be an RFA at season's end...I believe that he will be a Steeler next year unless some team gives up at least a 1st round pick and probably more...

IMO, the Steelers are TOO wide open...they already pass 60% of the time...I would just like to see them use the short passing game more consistently instead of going long so much...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2011, 01:56 PM
My perhaps naive impression is that if we could just run more reliably, we would score 10-14 points more per game.

Seems like the opposing Ds are daring us to run or make short passes across the middle by playing our speed demons 10-15 yards off the line.

Actually, I think we could score close to 10-14 points more per game even now ... by playing the middle of the field with Heath, Brown, Ward, etc. I seem to remember we did that pretty successfully against the *s just a few short weeks ago. Not sure why we don't seem to have the ability to turn that on and off as dictated by the defenses we're seeing on any given Sunday, or any given quarter really.

Just my :2c

Oh ... and :bungalssuck :bungalssuck :bungalssuck

steelblood
11-30-2011, 02:01 PM
I believe the high tender is still a first and a third round pick. Slap him with that and see if we can work out a deal. If not, at least we will get something in return. Wallace is a great vertical threat. But, many speed merchants have short careers in the NFL. It would set us back if he left, but I don't want to give the guy anything more than a 4 year contract as his speed advantage will likely be fading as he approaches 30.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Did something happen under the new CBA? Mike Wallace was drafted in 2009 and signed to a 3 year contract. He played 2009, 2010, and 1011 seasons. That is 3 years, no? I guess I don't really understand how RFA works then. I thought if you signed a 3 year deal and played 3 years you were a free agent.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Did something happen under the new CBA? Mike Wallace was drafted in 2009 and signed to a 3 year contract. He played 2009, 2010, and 1011 seasons. That is 3 years, no? I guess I don't really understand how RFA works then. I thought if you signed a 3 year deal and played 3 years you were a free agent.

You need to have 4 years to reach unrestricted free agency. After his 3 year rookie contract expires, he'll be a restricted free agent. Other teams can offer him a contract, and if he signs their offer sheet, then we can choose to match it and retain him (or else let him leave and get draft pick compensation dependant on the level of our initial tender offer...which should be the highest RFA tender amount).

If we can't resign him to a long term contract this offseason, we'll keep him in 2012 with a high RFA tender.

If we can't resign him to a long term contract next offseason, we'll keep him in 2013 with a franchise tag.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks! I am obviously not up to snuff with my contract knowledge to be creating threads based on that very information :shock: . Apologies....

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2011, 02:28 PM
If he ends up in New England next year I'm taking hostages.

grotonsteel
11-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Steelers better sign Wallace/Brown long term.

Time to splash money on Offensive side of the ball.

phillyesq
11-30-2011, 03:01 PM
A big question with Wallace is whether the first and third round tender is enough to keep him. I don't know what they have for next year, but the pats* always seem to have a ton of picks, and seem to miss terribly lately on the few they've actually used to select players.

Knowning that you'll probably blow the pick anybody, what is to stop NE from offering Wallace a huge deal? Their offense, with the TEs, the possesion receivers, and suddenly somebody that will take the top off a D becomes lethal.

I think Wallace has to be a top priority for the Steelers. He has had a few quiet weeks, and an awful game at KC, but his deep speed opens things up for everybody else underneath.

aggiebones
11-30-2011, 03:49 PM
We will negotiate with him in the offseason.

He will try to break the bank at first, then we will give him a tender offer. To get him away, someone will have the give us their #1 & 3 to get him. AND they will have to offer him such a huge contract that we wouldn't want to match it.

Now, how many teams are going to give him an obscene amount of money AND give us 2 top picks. Noone....

And even if they wanted to try a good contract and give us the picks, they know we would just match. Thus its a waste of their time to do the negotiations. And noone will do it.

...unless someone REALLY wants him for a bank breaking contract and 2 picks. He's good. He ain't that good.

Slapstick
11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
New England does not have a history of spending huge amounts of cash on free agents...

When they signed Moss, he was coming off a 500 yard season with the Raiders and the Pats* traded a 4th round pick for him. He had to agree to an incentive laden 1 year contract to prove himself before he signed a bigger deal.

Other teams will outspend the Pats* for Wallace's services if it comes to that...

phillyesq
11-30-2011, 03:57 PM
New England does not have a history of spending huge amounts of cash on free agents...

When they signed Moss, he was coming off a 500 yard season with the Raiders and the Pats* traded a 4th round pick for him. He had to agree to an incentive laden 1 year contract to prove himself before he signed a bigger deal.

Other teams will outspend the Pats* for Wallace's services if it comes to that...

I was just using the Pats* as an example, but my basic point was that a team that drafts poorly and has surplus picks might take a shot.

The Bungles traditionally don't spend a lot of money, but they will need to spend more to avoid the salary floor. They have extra picks from the Palmer trade and they could stick it to a division rival.

Not saying that it is going to happen, but it is a possibility.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-30-2011, 04:01 PM
If the Raiders just gave up a 1st and 2nd for a broken down Carson Palmer.....anything is possible.

Sugar
11-30-2011, 04:03 PM
The Bungles traditionally don't spend a lot of money, but they will need to spend more to avoid the salary floor. They have extra picks from the Palmer trade and they could stick it to a division rival.

Could you imagine Wallace in with Green and Shipley?? The Bengals fans around here would be dancing in the streets! :bungalssuck

Slapstick
11-30-2011, 04:14 PM
If the Raiders just gave up a 1st and 2nd for a broken down Carson Palmer.....anything is possible.

In his last four games, Carson has been playing pretty well...his last four games compare favorably with Ben's last four games...

Shawn
11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Wallace isn't going anywhere.

Let me ask you guys something. When was the last time we let a prime time player without off the field/attitude issues leave at the peak of their career? I can't remember one.

williar
11-30-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd rather keep him. Every team needs a receiver with deep speed. I think we are fortunate to have Wallace. I'm just now getting over the pain of losing Santonio, please don't take Wallace.... I'd rather give up Sanders if someone has to go.

grotonsteel
11-30-2011, 07:11 PM

Could you imagine Wallace in with Green and Shipley?? The Bengals fans around here would be dancing in the streets! :bungalssuck

I doubt Wallace would want to go to Bungles especially A J Green being a top dawg there. Also Andy Dalton is not going to throw 40 yard bombs to Wallace.

Steeler will lock him long term but if he wants more money well I would not mind getting a 1st Rd and 3rd pick from bungles. Use those picks to get someone like Justin Blackmon or Alshon Jeffery.

NJ-STEELER
12-01-2011, 12:57 AM

Let me ask you guys something. When was the last time we let a prime time player without off the field/attitude issues leave at the peak of their career? I can't remember one.

This

Plus add the fact with th new CBA. Rookies will now be getting a lot less money....increasing the value of high draft choices even further

Think about it. For a team to sign wAlly away from us they would have to offer big time cash. Then give up a 1st and 3rd pick.

I think Most teams would just try to draft a WR in the late 1st (I don't think anyone would give away a top 15 pick) qt a smaller salary and keep their 3rd rounder

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM

The last time that happened was probably Chad Brown. None since Heinz has been built.

Shawn
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM

The last time that happened was probably Chad Brown. None since Heinz has been built.

And I think some could argue that the Steelers didn't think Brown was worth as much as Brown thought he was worth.

Slapstick
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
He was OK in Seattle's 4-3, but if the Steelers had elected to keep him instead of Greg Lloyd, he would have been unreal in the 3-4...

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Is Brown Steelers' No. 1 receiver?

THURSDAY, 01 DECEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

Has Antonio Brown surpassed Mike Wallace as the Steelers top receiver?

Consider the meteoric rise of Brown, a sixth-round pick in the 2010 draft, who was eighth on the team last year with 16 receptions.

* He entered training camp as the team’s No. 4 wide receiver.

* Six weeks ago, he was competing with Emmanuel Sanders to be the No. 3 receiver.

* Today he’s competing with Wallace to be the No. 1 receiver.

* Tomorrow? Who knows?

This much is clear: Brown, who played his college ball at Central Michigan, is a player with immense talent. He had trouble learning the offense last year. He doesn’t run the precise routes of Sanders. But he has a remarkable ability to get open and catch the ball. Once he catches it, he’s a supremely dangerous runner.

Wallace once was dubbed a ``one-trick pony,’’ by coach Mike Tomlin. No one would ever say that about Brown, who also has excellent kick-returning skills.

This much is clear. Brown -- not Wallace, not Sanders, not Hines Ward -- has become Ben Roethlisberger’s favorite receiver.

In the past five games, Brown has caught 30 passes for 445 yards. He doesn’t have the game-breaking speed of Wallace -- he has only one touchdown this season -- but no one is going to call him a ``possession’’ receiver.

While Brown has been dazzling, Wallace has cooled considerably from the time he was the talk of the NFL with his dazzling, game-breaking speed and the special connection he seemed to have with Roethlisberger.

Wallace opened the season spectacularly. He caught 8, 8 and 5 passes in the first three games and went over 100 yards in all of them. But in the past five games, he’s slowed considerably. He’s caught 22 balls for 327 yards. One of those catches went for 95 yards and a touchdown. Remove that play, five games ago, and he is averaging 11 yards a catch over the past five games.

In 2009, as a rookie, Wallace led the NFL in yards per catch. Last year he was second. This season he’s 11th. In his first seven games of this season, his longest receptions were 26, 53, 81, 40, 40, 48 and 95. In the past four games, they are 16, 25, 13 and 9.

It’s entirely possible that the respect Wallace has gained around the league is the reason Brown is getting open. Once defenses become more concerned with Brown, his numbers might tumble and Wallace’s might increase.

It’s a nice problem to have.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... 1-receiver (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30970-is-brown-steelers-no-1-receiver)

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Antonio Brown is already in the top 20 in the entire NFL for receiving yards (in fact, there are only 15 WR's with more receiving yards than him...considering that there are 32 teams in the league, and Mike Wallace also has the 5th most yards among WR's in the NFL, that's pretty remarkable for a #2 WR...who started the season as a #4 WR...especially considering that they are both on an offense that "sucks").

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Attention to Mike Wallace and Case of ‘Dropsies’ Hurting Stats And Steelers

AUTHOR: Craig

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/12/mike-wallace-opoe-76631.jpeg

Would be great to see one or two of these from Wallace on Sunday.

Mike Wallace predicted a 2,000 yard season before it even started, and even though he was being a bit facetious when he did so, his quick jump to over 730 yards by Week 7 made me a believer. Weeks 8 through 12 however, have only garnered 209 yards and one touchdown – numbers at a pace much different than the beginning of the season.

This slow of pace has come from defenses turning their attention in the form of double teams – good for our guys like Sanders and Brown to find openings. But, what doesn’t help is when Wallace beats those single or double coverages and drops a pass that hits him in the hands.

During the last four weeks of Wallace’s slide, the final score has been decided by 10 points or less. None hurt more than the loss to Baltimore decided in the final seconds of that game. One could go back to the tape and see numerous deep balls thrown by Ben Roethlisberger to his deep man – some thrown too far, too short and some being dropped. What’s interesting is that most of these tosses happen near the end of the first half or beginning of the second – something to serve as a dagger and begin pulling away on the scoreboard. That has yet to happen, and our blood pressure is suffering for it.

The deep ball is a very difficult play to achieve with constant success. It takes a powerful and accurate arm to hit a guy in stride 40 or 50+ yards down field. Things like a windy day can greatly effect the accuracy of those kinds of passes. Those kinds of cases you can’t really blame Wallace. But, boy is it irritating to see those passes come within reach and not get hauled in by the six foot speedster. Ultimately, the drops are not only hurting his goal of 2,000 yards (maybe next year, Mikey) but they are also contributing largely to these close games. And as far as I’m concerned, I could care less about the 100+ yard games and just like a single 60 yard bomb be caught for six that puts the team up by 14 or more points.

I think we also have to look at this realistically – if Wallace continues to be plagued with a case of the ‘dropsies,’ then teams will begin to loosen coverage and commit the safeties elsewhere. Those safeties can blitz more or stay in a zone that takes away any over the middle throws. Get the guy stick’em.

I think Wallace will rebound from this slump. He could still certainly gain 1,500 yards. His team, however, is in a very unfortunate position of needing to win out the rest of the season to have at least a fighting chance of winning the North division. Drops are something that could manifest themselves into losses. Wallace needs to quickly get back on the long ball express. The Bengals’ Nate Clements is still questionable for this Sunday as well as Brandon Ghee. Now is as good a time as any for Wallace to bounce back.

Now is as good a time as any for the Steelers to show they are still a powerful and potent offense that is hitting it’s stride just in time for the playoffs.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/12/01/at ... more-11352 (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/12/01/attention-to-mike-wallace-and-case-of-dropsies-hurting-stats-and-steelers/#more-11352)