PDA

View Full Version : Where's the love for Sushi??

SteelAbility
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
The fact is that the way the game played out, Sushi saved the game with his 49-yarder. Without that, KC doesn't have to throw down the field, only needing a FG.

Well done!

Shoe
11-29-2011, 02:07 AM
I have plenty of love for sushi. It's my favorite thing to eat. Suisham OTOH, is a bum who will likely end cost us in the playoffs.

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2011, 02:17 AM
http://media.merchantcircle.com/17798198/i-love-sushi_full.png

rpmpit
11-29-2011, 11:55 AM
How many of you actually thought he'd make that kick??? Anything over 30 yards and I'm expecting a miss.

But he made it so I guess (for now) I love Sushi.

steelblood
11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
He is not a great kicker, but we knew that. He is a team player who is regularly sacrificing his body and have 5 tackles this season. 5 is as many as most of our special teams stars have. I've seen him make tackles inside the opponents 30. How many kickers do that?

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Congratulations for doing your job.

http://bluntobject.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/joker-sarcastic-clap1.gif?w=390&h=269

pittpete
11-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Amen brother :Agree

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
He is not a great kicker, but we knew that. He is a team player who is regularly sacrificing his body and have 5 tackles this season. 5 is as many as most of our special teams stars have. I've seen him make tackles inside the opponents 30. How many kickers do that?

I dont know... I think he's pretty solid. 32 out of 38 as a Steeler kicking half the time at Heinz. I'll take that any day.

Ghost
11-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Add me to the list who won't be handing out Kudos for doing the basics. He's anti-clutch.

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Add me to the list who won't be handing out Kudos for doing the basics. He's anti-clutch.

He's made nearly 85% of his attempts as a Steeler. And he kicks half the time in one of the leagues most difficult stadiums to kick. I think that's pretty clutch.

Ghost
11-29-2011, 04:15 PM

He's made nearly 85% of his attempts as a Steeler. And he kicks half the time in one of the leagues most difficult stadiums to kick. I think that's pretty clutch.

If Suisham has stomach problems we'll come to you for thoughts.

He's been 1 for 2 in three games and missed one in an additional 2 games. There's also a reason why he's been repeatedly cut from multiple teams. That's not clutch.

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 04:29 PM

If Suisham has stomach problems we'll come to you for thoughts.

Thanks. I appreciate that. Very nice of you.

SteelBucks
11-29-2011, 05:49 PM

http://bluntobject.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/joker-sarcastic-clap1.gif?w=390&h=269

:Agree

fezziwig
11-29-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm telling you, " don't allow one long field goal fool you guys. " Suishi is going to break our hearts in the playoffs. There's a reason he is a well traveled kicker in the NFL.

SidSmythe
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM
with the way we were plahing I was hoping he'd miss that FG!!
Then Maybe, just MAYBE we'd get rid of this guy.
No Love Here!!

I so afraid he's gonna blow it in the playoffs and then it's too late.

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 09:29 PM
32 out of 38 while playing half his games at Heinz. 84.2%. I'm not saying he is great but you guys act as if he is the worst kicker the game has ever seen. His numbers dont say that.

fezziwig
11-29-2011, 09:52 PM
The thing is, I do believe he is the worse or one of the worse kickers in the NFL. Even some of the ones he made were pretty close to misses.
I'm sorry but I'm the type of person that wants it all out of my team, my life and so on.

skyhawk
11-29-2011, 10:40 PM
with the way we were plahing I was hoping he'd miss that FG!!
Then Maybe, just MAYBE we'd get rid of this guy.
No Love Here!!

I so afraid he's gonna blow it in the playoffs and then it's too late.

I was hoping he would miss it too (kidding) so that the offense would actually have SOME sense of urgency and actually score point and not go turtle and run run pass on each possession.

bostonsteeler
11-29-2011, 11:23 PM
32 out of 38 while playing half his games at Heinz. 84.2%. I'm not saying he is great but you guys act as if he is the worst kicker the game has ever seen. His numbers dont say that.

Dude,

He's an equal opportunity misser. He misses as many in Pit as away.

But to be fair, he has an 80% *career* average. That's pretty average -- skippy had 82.5% and he was pretty clutch most of the time. Same for vinateri.

Starlifter
11-30-2011, 12:54 AM
well, earlier in the game I seem to recall tomlin going for it on 4th down instead of letting him kick around a 46 yarder. he only got that chance at the end of the half because there was no time for anything else. yep, he made it - but when the coach clearly doesn't have confidence for anything over 40 yards, it's time to work out some new kickers.

I suspect, as others have said, we're gonna need a long FG to win the game at some point. how good do y'all feel about our chances?

fezziwig
11-30-2011, 07:34 AM
I don't know why they weren't lookng during the off season, training camp or after some of his cheap kick misses this season that, our coaches were not trying out new kickers ?
I knew last season despite his good start that, this guy doesn't have what it takes.

snarky
11-30-2011, 11:50 AM
While it is definitely his job to make FGs, it's not like a 49 yarder is a gimmee for any kicker in the league. Don't know the league average form that distance. But I would be shocked if more than two-thirds are made. So yeah, it was a big kick.

On the other hand, I watched this guy a little too much when I lived in DC -- and he scares me.

steelblood
11-30-2011, 01:52 PM

I dont know... I think he's pretty solid. 32 out of 38 as a Steeler kicking half the time at Heinz. I'll take that any day.

I used the word "great." You used the word "solid." I'd wager that our opinions of him are actually pretty similar.

I was sticking up for the guy, btw.

steelblood
11-30-2011, 01:54 PM

This is funny. Your whole objection began when you disagreed when I said "he is not a great kicker." Semantics will get you every time.

TallyStiller
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
well, earlier in the game I seem to recall tomlin going for it on 4th down instead of letting him kick around a 46 yarder. he only got that chance at the end of the half because there was no time for anything else. yep, he made it - but when the coach clearly doesn't have confidence for anything over 40 yards, it's time to work out some new kickers.

I suspect, as others have said, we're gonna need a long FG to win the game at some point. how good do y'all feel about our chances?

$$$$$$$$ :Agree

This is exactly how I feel - ZERO confidence in anything unless we get the ball inside the 20. I don't like having a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach every time the FG unit comes out, nor do I like feeling pleasantly surprised when the kicker makes a long one. This is a professional who gets paid more PER KICK than I make in six months. D*mn right he'd better be knocking it home every time out. Anything inside 50 SHOULD be near automatic... and if it isn't, somebody else should be collecting the high 5 figure game check.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Sushi is now a much more respectable 18-23 on FGA.

we could do a lot worse than Sushi, IMHO...

pittpete
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
50 yard no pressure FG
Not even close :roll:

Was great on kickoffs today, have to give him that..

fezziwig
12-04-2011, 07:14 PM
The miss looked so badly, the goal post could have been twice the width and I still think he would have missed it.

feltdizz
12-04-2011, 07:57 PM
The miss looked so badly, the goal post could have been twice the width and I still think he would have missed it.

Sometimes kickers miss... Maybe the illegal shift threw him off?

Dee Dub
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Sometimes kickers miss... Maybe the illegal shift threw him off?

Or the fact that he had a player (David Johnson), running onto the field right before the ball was snapped.

It was a 50 yarder in Heinz field. Those arent automatics.

WindyCitySteel
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Stupid call to even try a fifty harder in Heinz with a bad kicker. Just hurt his confidence even worse that it must be already.

Ghost
12-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Tynes for the Giants hit a 50 yarder with ease today. It shouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility for an NFL kicker to hit that and Suisham has NO shot at that distance, None! It changes the game plan when a team knows their FG game is severely limited.

SidSmythe
12-04-2011, 10:54 PM
How can anyone stick up for this guy.

Missing is one thing, but this guy misses badly.
Remember the Superbowl FG attempt?? In a dome??? I'd be embarrassed if I made that kick and I suck!!

TallyStiller
12-04-2011, 11:37 PM
I think Tomlin ran him out there in a non pressure situation game time and score wise for a long field goal to see what he has going forward... and he can't have like what he saw.

As to damaging the guy's confidence, how much damage does it do to his confidence when his HC trusts him so little that he leaves him on the sideline two weeks in a row from that distance? Other NFL kickers hit those regularly.

fezziwig
12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
To me Tomlin made the look or the face of disgust after he missed the field goal.

ikestops85
12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I think Tomlin was correct in giving Sushi a shot. A make would have given Sushi, the team, and the fans a little more confidence. The bad miss I hope means we start looking at some kickers this week.

fezziwig
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Do you think that is possible ? Kind of late in the season for it I believe if I had to guess what Tomlin or the front office would think like. I'm all for trying out new kickers and I would have been trying them out in our last off season to tell you the truth.
They should have been looking for a replacement as soon as he started missing stuff in the 30 yard range.
Maybe they have been looking at kickers all along but I doubt that could have been kept a secret.

I think we should keep this punter over Spevuldava too. All he does is get injured and this guy isn't too bad and to tell you the truth, I think he might be better or just as good.