PDA

View Full Version : If I have to watch...........

Blitz-en
11-28-2011, 02:58 PM
.....Ben wave off the punt team so he can line up the offense and bark "hike" 57 times in an effort to pull the defense offsides, then turning and burning a valuable timeout in the middle of the 3rd quarter, one more time, I'm going to throw my beer at the t.v.

This is the most insanely stupid thing I've ever seen...................3 WEEKS IN ROW!!!

Seriously, is there anybody in America that would be fooled by this? And, once you've done it twice unsuccessfully, is there a reason to try it a 3rd time?

Why didn't he just take the 5 yard Delay of Game (and/or penalty for being incredibly stupid for reasons mentioned above) penalty and punt from the 48 instead of the 43??

Gosh, we gotta watch 40 bubble screens to the slowest receiver, 30 yard routes outside the hash marks on 3rd and 7, absolutely no run game, Tomlin's silent treatment on the sidelines, Wallace's trash talk with 2 catches for 17 yards, etc., etc., etc. We don't need bonehead time out burnings, too. We have enough to raise our blood pressures!

Thanks, I feel better now.

Steelers>NFL
11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
.....Ben wave off the punt team so he can line up the offense and bark "hike" 57 times in an effort to pull the defense offsides, then turning and burning a valuable timeout in the middle of the 3rd quarter, one more time, I'm going to throw my beer at the t.v.

This is the most insanely stupid thing I've ever seen...................3 WEEKS IN ROW!!!

Seriously, is there anybody in America that would be fooled by this? And, once you've done it twice unsuccessfully, is there a reason to try it a 3rd time?

Why didn't he just take the 5 yard Delay of Game (and/or penalty for being incredibly stupid for reasons mentioned above) penalty and punt from the 48 instead of the 43??

Gosh, we gotta watch 40 bubble screens to the slowest receiver, 30 yard routes outside the hash marks on 3rd and 7, absolutely no run game, Tomlin's silent treatment on the sidelines, Wallace's trash talk with 2 catches for 17 yards, etc., etc., etc. We don't need bonehead time out burnings, too. We have enough to raise our blood pressures!

I was thinking how stupid all of that was. 3 weeks in the row. And he thinks people are gonna fall for that crap. He is such a poor actor... The whole knew he was not gonna do anything. But, then at that time he should have "went for it".

grotonsteel
11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
[quote="Blitz-en":16ela5a2].....Ben wave off the punt team so he can line up the offense and bark "hike" 57 times in an effort to pull the defense offsides, then turning and burning a valuable timeout in the middle of the 3rd quarter, one more time, I'm going to throw my beer at the t.v.

I was thinking how stupid all of that was. 3 weeks in the row. And he thinks people are gonna fall for that crap. He is such a poor actor... The whole knew he was not gonna do anything. But, then at that time he should have "went for it".[/quote:16ela5a2]

:Agree

He should have gone for it.

I think Steelers were comfortable with 1 TD lead and were playing field position battle.

snarky
11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I would have rather seen them take take the five yard penalty and save the time out. Not much difference between punting from your opponents 40 and your opponents 45. Otherwise, I'm fine with them lining up and trying to bluff for the first down. There's nothing to lose in that situation (assuming you aren't going to burn the time out) and you might get defenses to relax a little bit in the future so that you might actually catch somebody by surprise.

Eich
11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
It does seem stupid. And the stupid would be much more OK if they had taken a delay of game penalty instead of a time out. BUT, one thing that would make this whole charade interesting is if at one point during the season - or even in the post-season - Ben actually goes for it. It would make all these fakes a really good set-up.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 05:02 PM
When Ben walks away from center toward the sidelines with 3 seconds or so on the playclock, then direct snap it to the RB, who catches the defense offguard and runs for the first down.

jj28west
11-28-2011, 06:32 PM
It does seem stupid. And the stupid would be much more OK if they had taken a delay of game penalty instead of a time out. BUT, one thing that would make this whole charade interesting is if at one point during the season - or even in the post-season - Ben actually goes for it. It would make all these fakes a really good set-up.

was thinking the same thing. Seems he is waiting for a look and then may try a QB sneak.

msp26505
11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Then, to add insult to injury, Kapinos kicks the ball into the end zone for a 20 something net punt.

Poorly played all around.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 07:06 PM
You're going to love it when he actually snaps it and bulls for a first down. Hopefully in playoff game.

SidSmythe
11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
You're going to love it when he actually snaps it and bulls for a first down. Hopefully in playoff game.

or when he tries to pull them offsides and then actually snaps the balls and throws a 40 yard TD pass

skyhawk
11-28-2011, 08:07 PM

One would hope they are setting up something. But with BA I doubt it.

Steelgal
11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
When Ben walks away from center toward the sidelines with 3 seconds or so on the playclock, then direct snap it to the RB, who catches the defense offguard and runs for the first down.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we found our next OC :tt1

You up for it ruthless???

skyhawk
11-28-2011, 10:37 PM

There were a couple of times where the chiefs were on their heels and standing up while ben was blowin smoke. Snap it and go! Like Dan Marino on the fake spike play.

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I would have rather seen them take take the five yard penalty and save the time out. Not much difference between punting from your opponents 40 and your opponents 45. Otherwise, I'm fine with them lining up and trying to bluff for the first down. There's nothing to lose in that situation (assuming you aren't going to burn the time out) and you might get defenses to relax a little bit in the future so that you might actually catch somebody by surprise.

I agree with you 100% on this. There was no need to take a timeout. That pretty much was wasted. I think you have a greater chance of pooching the punt down inside the 10 by punting from the 45 than you do the 40.

feltdizz
11-29-2011, 04:08 PM

we've done it before... and I wouldn't be surprised if we do it again if we have a lead or momentum but it's getting old and the TO wasn't needed.

Doogie36
11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
I watched this game with my MOM who was in for thanksgiving and during this play she said why are they going for this? I said dont worry they wont really go for it and its just Ben trying to get them to JUMP like he always does!!!!!!!!!! I then echoed the same words someone else posted!!! I truly believe this is SMART!! Maybe not the timeout but it's smart!! Come playoff time when Ben comes out and does this will the D sit back and say dont worry they arent going for it!!!!!!!!!!! It can come in handy when it matters most!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as the timeout though it was 4th and 2..........delay of game makes it 4th and 7. What if after the timeout Coach Tomlin wants to really go for it and they actually call a REAL PLAY??? Ben obviously has the freedom to do this fake without really knowing the intentions of the Coaches!!!! Just something to think about.

ALso Manning use to do this very thing and he actually went for it!!!!!! with our spread them out offense i can actually see us really going for it one of these times!!!!!!

The thing i dont get is on the road we are using SILENT COUNT which we suck at and will also have a disadvantage and with that being said why does BEN wait till 1 to lift up his darn leg? Doesnt that give the D even more of a head start? Can't he at least mix that up? that's what I dont like to watch.

skyhawk
11-29-2011, 07:03 PM
I watched this game with my MOM who was in for thanksgiving and during this play she said why are they going for this? I said dont worry they wont really go for it and its just Ben trying to get them to JUMP like he always does!!!!!!!!!! I then echoed the same words someone else posted!!! I truly believe this is SMART!! Maybe not the timeout but it's smart!! Come playoff time when Ben comes out and does this will the D sit back and say dont worry they arent going for it!!!!!!!!!!! It can come in handy when it matters most!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as the timeout though it was 4th and 2..........delay of game makes it 4th and 7. What if after the timeout Coach Tomlin wants to really go for it and they actually call a REAL PLAY??? Ben obviously has the freedom to do this fake without really knowing the intentions of the Coaches!!!! Just something to think about.

ALso Manning use to do this very thing and he actually went for it!!!!!! with our spread them out offense i can actually see us really going for it one of these times!!!!!!

The thing i dont get is on the road we are using SILENT COUNT which we suck at and will also have a disadvantage and with that being said why does BEN wait till 1 to lift up his darn leg? Doesnt that give the D even more of a head start? Can't he at least mix that up? that's what I dont like to watch.

Teams will also have scouted and will know to be ready for a play. Since Ben has not run anything up til now. Whoopee.

Wilkinsburg
11-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Unless, at some critical point in a play-off game they snap it and get a huge first down. then you will be going :Bow and saying what a great call it was.

pittpete
11-30-2011, 12:10 PM
I would have rather seen them take take the five yard penalty and save the time out. Not much difference between punting from your opponents 40 and your opponents 45.

On that play several Chief defenders stood up at the line and starting laughing :lol:

phillyesq
11-30-2011, 01:46 PM

I agree with you 100% on this. There was no need to take a timeout. That pretty much was wasted. I think you have a greater chance of pooching the punt down inside the 10 by punting from the 45 than you do the 40.

:Agree

I have no problem with him trying to draw the Chiefs offside, even if it wasn't the best effort. Burning the timeout is the real headscratcher.

Slapstick
11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
On that play several Chief defenders stood up at the line and starting laughing :lol:

They probably weren't laughing after they lost... :lol:

NJ-STEELER
12-01-2011, 01:52 AM
"Tamba (Hali) went down, he was laying on the ground hurt, so I tried to either get them to use a timeout or run a play and for some reason he kind of just jumped up. That's my fault for calling a timeout. I should have just taken a delay of game. Bad management on my part." Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on calling a timeout late in the third quarter after the Steelers had lined up to go for it on fourth-and-4 from the Chiefs' 46-yard line

feltdizz
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM

Unless, at some critical point in a play-off game they snap it and get a huge first down. then you will be going :Bow and saying what a great call it was.

..and if we don't get it we always have someone to blame who isn't on the field.

pittpete
12-01-2011, 02:48 PM
"Here's where we call the TIMEOUT guys"
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/613/415/130154253_display_image.jpg?1322456792

Keyplay1
12-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we found our next OC :tt1

You up for it ruthless???

The Steelers tried this when Mularkey was here. [2001-2003]

Kordell Stewart was in the shotgun walked up to the Line began the pointing routine, stopped and began acting as if something was wrong and started walking off toward the sidelines. The ball was snapped and I do think the Steelers made the 1st down but I'm not sure. Hmm! Possibly, yet another innovative idea during the Cowher years.

Reason I mention this is that acting bit is generally associated with P. Manning [Doogie36 mentioned this earlier] and while he was around then it was very early for him and I could not be sure he was in to that stuff then.

I'm a little late getting in on this, somehow I overlooked it. On well, WTHeck there isn't anything else to do till Sunday anyhow. And I expect the Steelers are prepared and will be sharp for the Bengals.