PDA

View Full Version : Do other teams play all of their personnel?

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Does BB take Welker and Gronk off the field so undrafted rookies can get some snaps? Does McCarthy take Jennings and Nelson out for scrubs?

I was talking with a friend during last night's game, and I made the comment that we appear to be a Little League team where everyone has to play. We have some dynamic offensive players, but too often I see guys like MeMo, Saunders, DJ, even Ward now on the field. So many sets, so many player combos, maybe that's the reason our offense doesn't appear to have any flow or rhythm. It tries to be everything for everyone. Maybe they should narrow their focus and do the few things they do well.

snarky
11-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Does BB take Welker and Gronk off the field so undrafted rookies can get some snaps? Does McCarthy take Jennings and Nelson out for scrubs?

I was talking with a friend during last night's game, and I made the comment that we appear to be a Little League team where everyone has to play. We have some dynamic offensive players, but too often I see guys like MeMo, Saunders, DJ, even Ward now on the field. So many sets, so many player combos, maybe that's the reason our offense doesn't appear to have any flow or rhythm. It tries to be everything for everyone. Maybe they should narrow their focus and do the few things they do well.

Yeah, big mistake inserting the only guy to reach pay dirt.

sd steel
11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
DJ is a blocking H-back, used as a fullback, he is a blocker. Saunders is a stud, and you will see him be a star in our offense very soon, as witnessed by his awesome catch last night. Mewelde is a 3rd down ball control back. He normally never fumbles..aside from last night, and he has been a proven weapon. Ward is the soul of this team, and they are trying to get him his 1000 catches before the season, and he still comes up with great plays. I understand that you might not like these players, but to say they shouldn't be on the field is short sighted at best.

snarky
11-28-2011, 02:13 PM
DJ is a blocking H-back, used as a fullback, he is a blocker. Saunders is a stud, and you will see him be a star in our offense very soon, as witnessed by his awesome catch last night. Mewelde is a 3rd down ball control back. He normally never fumbles..aside from last night, and he has been a proven weapon. Ward is the soul of this team, and they are trying to get him his 1000 catches before the season, and he still comes up with great plays. I understand that you might not like these players, but to say they shouldn't be on the field is short sighted at best.

Actually, my one complaint about Moore is that he spills it too much. Other than that he's been a productive 3rd Down Back for us during his time here.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Just saying, we put together a good drive then next time out, new people, new sets, no continuity. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Heath, Mendy in a spread set is our best offensive personnel grouping. Maybe they're on the field as much as the best players on other teams, don't know. Just making an observation.

Mendy is our best 3rd down back because of his pass catching and blitz pickup ability, as well. I understand spelling him for a series because he can't stand up to 35 touches a game, but we need our best players on the field most of the time.

I think Arians tries to play mad scientist too much. You have talent - use it.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 02:21 PM
First we crucify coaches because they refuse to give young players any meaningful P.T., now we lambaste them for playing too many guys?

Perhaps you should not use Belichick as the model for how to optimally utilize personnel, either. Who is his primary running back? Green-Ellis or Ridley or Vereen or Woodhead or Faulk? I don't know. Why did he have to use WR Troy Brown on defense for so many years (and why does he continue to do it with WR Julian Edelman now)? I don't know. Why does he mess with OL continuity (where cohesiveness matters most) by rotating in tackles Light, Vollmer, and Solder, even when none of those 3 guys are injured? I don't know.

sd steel
11-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Actually, my one complaint about Moore is that he spills it too much. Other than that he's been a productive 3rd Down Back for us during his time here.

5 fumbles in 6 years, (489 attempts) ain't that bad.

snarky
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
[quote="sd steel":2f3rt6ob]DJ is a blocking H-back, used as a fullback, he is a blocker. Saunders is a stud, and you will see him be a star in our offense very soon, as witnessed by his awesome catch last night. Mewelde is a 3rd down ball control back. He normally never fumbles..aside from last night, and he has been a proven weapon. Ward is the soul of this team, and they are trying to get him his 1000 catches before the season, and he still comes up with great plays. I understand that you might not like these players, but to say they shouldn't be on the field is short sighted at best.

5 fumbles in 6 years, (489 attempts) ain't that bad.[/quote:2f3rt6ob]

You're right. I'm wrong. I guess I just remember him fumbling more than he actually has lol. But looking at his stats, I have no complaints.

Steelhere10
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I think the one thing BA it's good at is different personnel and groupings, stop don't criticize him on that. Now his part calling is another story. And to answer your question, yes all teams including NE with Walker do the same thing.

skyhawk
11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
[quote="sd steel":2ja74ejj]DJ is a blocking H-back, used as a fullback, he is a blocker. Saunders is a stud, and you will see him be a star in our offense very soon, as witnessed by his awesome catch last night. Mewelde is a 3rd down ball control back. He normally never fumbles..aside from last night, and he has been a proven weapon. Ward is the soul of this team, and they are trying to get him his 1000 catches before the season, and he still comes up with great plays. I understand that you might not like these players, but to say they shouldn't be on the field is short sighted at best.

5 fumbles in 6 years, (489 attempts) ain't that bad.

You're right. I'm wrong. I guess I just remember him fumbling more than he actually has lol. But looking at his stats, I have no complaints.[/quote:2ja74ejj]

That's why Tomlin puts in Mendy late in games for ball security when the have the lead (see the patriots and bengals games).