PDA

View Full Version : Wallace and Brown seeing stars?

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Pre-game interview special with Costas, preening and jawing before the game - maybe these guys got too big for their britches last night?

Hopefully they put the team first from here on out.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Brown seemed to play pretty well from my vantage point on the couch last night.

ikestops85
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I thought Brown did okay last night but what's happening to Wallace. I am a huge fan of his but last night he had 2 big drops. The first was in the endzone and should have been an easy TD. The second was on a bomb and he let the ball go right through his hands.

Overall his performance last night was Sweedesque.

AngryAsian
11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Brown is the more complete WR. They will be the Moss (Wallace) / Welker (Brown) tandem for Ben for many years to come, and having Manny Sanders round out our triple threat is an awesome thing to have... Did Wallace have a stellar game? No, but he's not getting as many targets because people would rather give the short down and outs to Brown, than give the monster bomb to Wallace.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Isn't Wallace's contract up after this season?

He might well be a luxury we can't afford.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree with the comparison to the Patriots WR's as that is the type of game they are best suited to play. Unfortunately we are attempting to run more of a Green Bay type of offense where Aaron Rodgers can loft the ball down the sideline in one on one coverage. Difference is, Green Bay has 3 big, physical WR's that can go up over a DB and have no problem engaging in a physical battle for the ball. Worse case scenario they knock the ball down.

Our WR are not physical at all and simply refuse to even try to engage in any sort of physical battle once the ball is in the air. When is the last time you saw a Steelers WR go up over a DB and catch the ball at its highest point? That ability would be great when you don't set up the deep ball and just throw it down the sideline up for grabs.

So with our short, quick WR, our best offensive gameplan would be the quick passing game picking apart the zone or totally dogging man coverage. Instead we take 15 shots a game downfield and attempt to still give Mendenhall/the running game a nominal amount of plays whether they are effective plays or not.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-29-2011, 03:18 AM
I agree with the comparison to the Patriots WR's as that is the type of game they are best suited to play. Unfortunately we are attempting to run more of a Green Bay type of offense where Aaron Rodgers can loft the ball down the sideline in one on one coverage. Difference is, Green Bay has 3 big, physical WR's that can go up over a DB and have no problem engaging in a physical battle for the ball. Worse case scenario they knock the ball down.

Our WR are not physical at all and simply refuse to even try to engage in any sort of physical battle once the ball is in the air. When is the last time you saw a Steelers WR go up over a DB and catch the ball at its highest point? That ability would be great when you don't set up the deep ball and just throw it down the sideline up for grabs.

So with our short, quick WR, our best offensive gameplan would be the quick passing game picking apart the zone or totally dogging man coverage. Instead we take 15 shots a game downfield and attempt to still give Mendenhall/the running game a nominal amount of plays whether they are effective plays or not.

$$$$

Steelerphile
11-29-2011, 06:36 AM

You engage in quite a lot of exaggeration and hyperbole. Not physical at all? Not true. Antonio Brown is a battler and can compete for the ball and win. This was not a good game for Mike Wallace but I also would not describe him as "not physical at all." He has some strength and can compete for the ball and win.

Wallace has been quite successful catching deep passes thus far. Yes that was earlier in the season and less so recently. But I think you analysis not $$$ at all.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
You go ahead and scour the archives of Wallace or Brown & find one instance of them going up and catching the ball @ it's highest point with a DB attempting to do the same & them coming down with the ball.

steelblood
11-29-2011, 09:47 AM

Against KC and Cincy, Brown out battled and out jumped for the ball. I do agree that we could use a big physical WR. This 2012 draft will be loaded with them from top to bottom.

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I think we're fine at WR. The Patriots have midgets. If you want size mismatches, use Heath and Saunders.

No more Fred Gibson/Danny Farmer/Lee Mays/Limas Sweed picks, please. We need our top picks to go to the OL.

Shawn
11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Isn't Wallace's contract up after this season?

He might well be a luxury we can't afford.

That is pure silliness.

feltdizz
11-29-2011, 11:00 AM
You go ahead and scour the archives of Wallace or Brown & find one instance of them going up and catching the ball @ it's highest point with a DB attempting to do the same & them coming down with the ball.

Wallace isn't out jumping anyone for the ball... but he will out run defenders most times.

We don't have physical WR's.. we have fast, shifty WR's... we need to get them out in space and throw to them so they can run after the catch. More crossing routes for Brown and Sanders please...

Mister Pittsburgh
11-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Wallace isn't out jumping anyone for the ball... but he will out run defenders most times.

We don't have physical WR's.. we have fast, shifty WR's... we need to get them out in space and throw to them so they can run after the catch. More crossing routes for Brown and Sanders please...

Yes, I know. Just stating since we have speedy shifty WR's we should run an offense that best utilizes these skills. Get the ball out of Ben's hands ASAP and into theirs with quick passes. And I do not believe whoever said that Wallace & Brown had catches on lofted passes going up one on one against a defender and coming down with the ball because I probably would of crapped my pants had that happened.

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Teams are now taking the deep ball away from the Steelers. Especially with Mike Wallace. So it's time for the Steelers to counter that and make an adjustment.

When was the last time we saw a slant to Mike Wallace? If the opponent is giving away the underneath patterns why not exploit that? Take what they will give you and then make them adjust to that.

feltdizz
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
we can talk about the short stuff all we want but the WR has to beat their man and the QB has to throw it in rhythm.

No one can force Ben to throw underneath or take what is given... if he decides he wants to do it more than not he will, if not all we can do is complain about it.

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Another thought on our WRs. I think it could be an advantage to buck the trend of big, rangy wideouts as defenses are adjusting with big, rangy DBs. I love our guys chances to beat these guys with quicks.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-29-2011, 04:38 PM
we can talk about the short stuff all we want but the WR has to beat their man and the QB has to throw it in rhythm.

No one can force Ben to throw underneath or take what is given... if he decides he wants to do it more than not he will, if not all we can do is complain about it.

Tomlin, Arians can't make Ben throw the underneath stuff? They can't point out on film the WR's 10 yds downfield he passes up with a half arsed pump fake to look 30 yds downfield into coverage? If they can't, then they shouldn't be the head coach or the offensive coordinator.