PDA

View Full Version : Redmen In - Mendenhall out

Sword
11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Why is Redmen not in there more!! He clearly is the stronger of the two backs..
Mendenhall gets stopped all the time.. where is the bus?????

Sword

Oviedo
11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Mendenhall is in there because he is a more complete back. It is not Mendenhall's fault that he is getting contact before he even gets to the LOS. Our Guards have got to be about as bad a pair as there is in the NFL. Fix that and get players in there who can actually open a hole, without holding, and Mendenhall will be great.

Tomlinator
11-28-2011, 11:45 AM
:Agree

To a point.

Mendenhall needs to make the decision to "GO!" and stop dancing around. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, which is what Redman seems to understand.

AngryAsian
11-28-2011, 11:56 AM
He needs to run like he's not trying out for Dancing With the Stars... the guy is huge is too busy trying to show his happy feet. I wouldn't mind parting ways with him. For a starting back his numbers aren't that impressive.

ikestops85
11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Mendy seems to have the yips when he runs. He rarely just hits the hole. He gets to the line and sort of looks around before figuring out where he is going. Last night he consistently tried to take it outside and got tackled for no gain when he could have gone where he was supposed to and got 3 or 4 yards.

I think that fumble in the SB (which I don't blame him for) has damaged his psychy and he hasn't recovered from it yet. I see Redmen and Moore come into the game and think "that's how you run the ball". I'd like to see Spinderella come back because it least he hit the hole hard.

SidSmythe
11-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Mendenhall just doesn't get it.
This isn't college . . . u aren't going to bounce it to the outside. hit the hole no matter how small it is.
for some reason Redman and Moore both get yardage up the middle. Mendenhall doesn't...he's finesse, belongs in Detroit w/ Mike Martz or something!

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Martz is actually in Chicago...

I've thought about the Bears' problems with Matt Forte and Mendenhall playing for his hometown team next year...but, the Bears would have to give up something substantial for the Steelers to consider it...

NorthCoast
11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Some may think Mendenhall has talent over Redman and Moore, but my biggest beef with the guy is the utter lack of being able to make the first guy miss on the tackle. That used to be Bettis' mantra. Does anyone truly believe that Mendenhall could do a M Lynch in the open field? No way!... I have seen no evidence of this since he started his career he. His claim to fame is the 'spin' move (which incidentally he is doing a lot less of lately). He rarely has displayed the footwork and moves to avoid that first tackle. And with our sorry OL, it is a recipe for no gain more often than not. Maybe we were too spoiled watching Bettis absolutely thunder through the line for at least 2-3 yds on even the worst blocked plays.
I suppose we will see if other teams value Mendy more than us come FA time, but he is nothing special, so doesn't deserve anything beyond average pay.

Dee Dub
11-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Mendenhall is in there because he is a more complete back. It is not Mendenhall's fault that he is getting contact before he even gets to the LOS. Our Guards have got to be about as bad a pair as there is in the NFL. Fix that and get players in there who can actually open a hole, without holding, and Mendenhall will be great.

Ovi I'm not so sure this is the case anymore. And if it is, Mendy sure isnt showing it. I watch the way he attacks the hole and there is a significant difference in the way he hits it and the way Redman and even Moore hits it.

Redman and Moore are just as good at catching the ball as Mendy is. Mendy may have all the tools but I am not seeing them being translated to the game. I think he needs a huge wake up call.

Dee Dub
11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Mendy seems to have the yips when he runs. He rarely just hits the hole. He gets to the line and sort of looks around before figuring out where he is going. Last night he consistently tried to take it outside and got tackled for no gain when he could have gone where he was supposed to and got 3 or 4 yards.

I think that fumble in the SB (which I don't blame him for) has damaged his psychy and he hasn't recovered from it yet. I see Redmen and Moore come into the game and think "that's how you run the ball". I'd like to see Spinderella come back because it least he hit the hole hard.

Fumbling the ball doesnt make you run tentative. Now getting clocked like he did by Ray Lewis his rookie year and how Hiloti Ngata hit him this year sure will.