PDA

View Full Version : This is a great board, BUT...

msp26505
11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
You guys are not immune to Internet Message Board Overreaction Syndrome. I like to come here because it's generally a much calmer, more mature place to hang out than practically anywhere else.

But jeez. :Binky

The Steelers win and look halfway decent doing it and we are Super Bowl locks...

The Steelers lose (or in this case win ugly) and we are incapable of winning the Big East...

It's one game. Against professionals. In a hostile environment. KC was highly motivated for whatever reason (probably because they saw this as their last hope for a successful season).

Bill Parcells' quote, "you are what your record says you are" is more true in the NFL than any other sport due to the fact that each game is so important and the playing field is so even.

The Steelers are 8-3 with a pretty reasonable shot at 13-3, though I expect another loss in there somewhere. They have had a ton of injuries, I still don't really care for BA, Ben holds the ball too long, the D doesn't bring enough pressure (probably again due to injuries), but in this league, it's all about positioning yourself well (which the Steelers have done reasonably well except for the second Baltimore loss), and getting healthy and hot at the right time.

I don't think the Packers will win it all unless they trip up somewhere along the line, and I think the Steelers will beat the Ravens if they meet again in the playoffs. Because of those beliefs, I also believe that the Steelers chances are as good as any team in football. But they might lose along the way, too.

With 6 Lombardis, I'm not as bothered by that as I might be if they were, say, the Lions. As a WVU fan, I know the frustration of never quite getting over the top. I feel none of that with the Steelers. We are lucky.

Now quitcherbicthin.

NorCal-Steeler
11-28-2011, 09:51 AM
:Agree

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Nah, I think most just believe this team should be looking better given the relatively weak schedule they've played. Three games against bottom feeders have been too close for comfort.

feltdizz
11-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I know we had drops, holds, fumbles etc but I must blame someone other than the players for playing sub par and scrapping out a W on the road...

Doesn't matter if we win or lose... someone must take the blame for the misery in my life.

:wft

I'm being sarcastic but you do know there are other boards out there if you don't like this one... :stirpot

That's the response I got one time when I said this board was whining too much about the refs.

Oviedo
11-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I know we had drops, holds, fumbles etc but I must blame someone other than the players for playing sub par and scrapping out a W on the road...

Doesn't matter if we win or lose... someone must take the blame for the misery in my life.

:wft

I'm being sarcastic but you do know there are other boards out there if you don't like this one... :stirpot

That's the response I got one time when I said this board was whining too much about the refs.

Wisdom!!!!!!!

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I agree...

I find myself spending less and less time on the board because of the over-the-top hyperbolic reactions...

It happens...

flippy
11-28-2011, 11:02 AM
How can you not over react to this team. We play to the level of the competition and make every game a nail biter.

We're loaded with talent, but we play every game like we're barely hanging on.

This team has been on the verge of losing to some very bad teams this year.

The only positive I like about this is that it prepares us to compete in closer games and be better prepared to pull them out in the end come playoff time.

A lot of good teams trounce their opponents and get comfortable in the regular season. Then in the playoffs where teams are evenly matched, I sometimes think those teams aren't prepared for the adversity of close games.

Although the NFL is becoming more like the NBA where every game comes down to the wire and the team with the ball last has the best shot of winning.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
can't have it both ways flip.

in the lebeau thread you said our talent stinks.

now we are loaded?

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Nah, I think most just believe this team should be looking better given the relatively weak schedule they've played. Three games against bottom feeders have been too close for comfort.

Three games against bottom feeders have been too close for comfort.

Okay, I'll grant you that. But we have actually won these games (albeit not comfortably enough for some folk's taste).

Consider the alternative...our division rival Ravens have played poorly on the road to several bad teams, and they have actually lost games at Tennessee, at Jacksonville, and at Seattle. When they struggle on the road against the dregs of the league, they lose! Meanwhile, when we are playing poorly on the road against subpar competition, we still manage to squeak out nailbiter wins.

An ugly win over Tyler Palko's team counts just as much in the standings as a "monkey off the back" win over Tom Brady's team.

Oviedo
11-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Three games against bottom feeders have been too close for comfort.

Okay, I'll grant you that. But we have actually won these games (albeit not comfortably enough for some folk's taste).

Consider the alternative...our division rival Ravens have played poorly on the road to several bad teams, and they have actually lost games at Tennessee, at Jacksonville, and at Seattle. When they struggle on the road against the dregs of the league, they lose! Meanwhile, when we are playing poorly on the road against subpar competition, we still manage to squeak out nailbiter wins.

An ugly win over Tyler Palko's team counts just as much in the standings as a "monkey off the back" win over Tom Brady's team.

Look at the bright side. It was this type of game just a few years ago that we found a way to lose starting with another game in KC (followed by loses to Oakland and Cleveland). Maybe we exorcised some demons last night no matter how ugly it was.

snarky
11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
You guys are not immune to Internet Message Board Overreaction Syndrome. I like to come here because it's generally a much calmer, more mature place to hang out than practically anywhere else.

The Steelers win and look halfway decent doing it and we are Super Bowl locks...

The Steelers lose (or in this case win ugly) and we are incapable of winning the Big East...

It's one game. Against professionals. In a hostile environment. KC was highly motivated for whatever reason (probably because they saw this as their last hope for a successful season).

Bill Parcells' quote, "you are what your record says you are" is more true in the NFL than any other sport due to the fact that each game is so important and the playing field is so even.

The Steelers are 8-3 with a pretty reasonable shot at 13-3, though I expect another loss in there somewhere. They have had a ton of injuries, I still don't really care for BA, Ben holds the ball too long, the D doesn't bring enough pressure (probably again due to injuries), but in this league, it's all about positioning yourself well (which the Steelers have done reasonably well except for the second Baltimore loss), and getting healthy and hot at the right time.

I don't think the Packers will win it all unless they trip up somewhere along the line, and I think the Steelers will beat the Ravens if they meet again in the playoffs. Because of those beliefs, I also believe that the Steelers chances are as good as any team in football. But they might lose along the way, too.

With 6 Lombardis, I'm not as bothered by that as I might be if they were, say, the Lions. As a WVU fan, I know the frustration of never quite getting over the top. I feel none of that with the Steelers. We are lucky.

Now quitcherbicthin.

So much truth in your post. So much over-reaction on this board. (Though I think most of the long-timers see the big picture).

Chadman
11-28-2011, 11:22 AM
The sky!

It is falling on our heads!!

:D

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 11:24 AM
The sky!

It is falling on our heads!!

:D

Be glad you are on the other side of the world from Pittsburgh...you will be spared. :wink:

Eich
11-28-2011, 11:29 AM
How can you not over react to this team. We play to the level of the competition and make every game a nail biter.

We beat Seattle 24-0. That wasn't a nail biter. AND the Rats LOST to Seattle 22-17 !!!!!!! This kind of stuff happens in this league. The only team right now who isn't having much of the ups and downs is Green bay.

Eddie Spagetti responded well. And yes, we have talent. But don't forget, yesterday we played without Pouncey, Woodley, Troy and Wallace's hands.

This team has been on the verge of losing to some very bad teams this year.
So have the Rats.

The AFC is up for grabs. And we have the talent and ability to get to the Super Bowl again this year. How many teams can say that year and and year out as often as we can? I live in Redskins land. It gives me a sincere and severe appreciation for being part of Stillernation !!

I've put a lot of effort into trying to avoid being too emotional during games. It's not always easy. It can get frustrating when we play like crap at times. But give thanks that we're not fans of a team and organization like the Redskins !!!

Tomlinator
11-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Any given Sunday.

A wins a win. Iíve pretty much given up worrying about how they get done.

Now, do I still get frustrated and shout colorful metaphors at the TV? Absolutely.

But as my wife reminded me last night, it doesnít matter, its a win. And she is right. But would it hurt to have some games decided early for us? This heart attack week in and week out is getting annoying.

AngryAsian
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Personal Analysis of our beloved team is the whole premise for this internet offering, and unfortunately I've yet to see an un-impassioned Steeler fan... most are rabid and their reactions (depending on game outcomes) are often extreme and emotional. Regardless of one's vantage point (coaching ineptitude or poor player execution, retarded offensive schemes or defensive geriatric play... blah, blah, blah)... I think one glaring deficiency that everyone can attest to is that we play down to our competition. The gold standard (This year it is the Packers) execute and play without such failings. If the styfling and opportunistic defense is not slowing a prolific offense, the top-shelf offense is outscoring anyone who might get in the way and doing it with multiple pieces... no one can cover all the weapons.

I THINK, that we follow the natural order of things by comparing ourselves to the top-tiered teams (or team), which does not let an opposing second string QB throw 3+ picks and still have a chance to win the game at the end. The issue with most of our brethren on this board is that we've seen success with this latest incarnation of the Black and Gold, and what we saw last night against the 27th rank offense in the NFL (that's with Cassell and not Palko) does not seem like a team that could get past the first round of the playoffs. Most fans when they speak emotionally drained about games like last night would probably feel more at ease seeing us win by a large margin... especially with all the takeaways we chalked up.

JMHO...

JAR
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
there are a few voices of reason around here. :tt1

Last nights game was like last years Buffalo game. Where did the Steelers end up last year and were one Mike Wallace drop away from bringing home number seven?

Last nights game was like 2008's Dallas game, where did they end up?

Last nights game was like the 2005 Detroit game, what happened that year?

I just really think there are those people who need to complain, no matter what.

Eich
11-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Another thing that we tend to forget... WE are the defending AFC CHAMPS! We represented the AFC in the Super Bowl last year. EVERY team that plays us sees us as their measuring stick. We are their Super Bowl. Teams aren't going to look past us. They get up for us. There's no higher emotion than when they're playing us. That plays a MAJOR factor in how the games go.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 01:47 PM

Last nights game was like last years Buffalo game. Where did the Steelers end up last year and were one Mike Wallace drop away from bringing home number seven?

I just really think there are those people who need to complain, no matter what.

Sorry, those are really bad analogies. The Dallas game in 2008 was against a very formidable opponent. The Lions in 2005 ended up a 14-point win. And we've had three such games this year, four if you count the fact that Arizona and Kevin Kolb were in the game in the 4th quarter.

Last year, we failed to win it all and if not for a few drops by the Packers, it would have been a Super Sunday Blowout. This team isn't playing well enough to stay within 14 points of Green Bay right now. Maybe in a couple months they will be, but don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining because a win is a win is a win. If this team gets to the Super Bowl playing like this, that just means the AFC blows and we're in for a butt whipping.

Starlifter
11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Another thing that we tend to forget... WE are the defending AFC CHAMPS! We represented the AFC in the Super Bowl last year. EVERY team that plays us sees us as their measuring stick. We are their Super Bowl. Teams aren't going to look past us. They get up for us. There's no higher emotion than when they're playing us. That plays a MAJOR factor in how the games go.

very true - but are you suggesting then that all the packers opponents have laid down this season?

I think the majority of the frustration comes because many of us see the steelers as not living up to their potential.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Sorry, those are really bad analogies. The Dallas game in 2008 was against a very formidable opponent. The Lions in 2005 ended up a 14-point win. And we've had three such games this year, four if you count the fact that Arizona and Kevin Kolb were in the game in the 4th quarter.

Last year, we failed to win it all and if not for a few drops by the Packers, it would have been a Super Sunday Blowout. This team isn't playing well enough to stay within 14 points of Green Bay right now. Maybe in a couple months they will be, but don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining because a win is a win is a win. If this team gets to the Super Bowl playing like this, that just means the AFC blows and we're in for a butt whipping.

In 2009, we were playing crappy teams like KC, Oakland, and Cleveland in late November and early December and losing those games. That is blowing it. This year, games against Indy, Jacksonville, and KC weren't pretty, but they were wins nonetheless. We have yet to fall into the trap of actually losing to a noticeably inferior opponent (unlike Baltimore, who has losses to the Titans, Jaguars, and Seahawks on their resume this year).

snarky
11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Hell even when we were dominating the league in the 70s we lost a few in November/December.

There is so much parity in this league I think it's impossible to count a team like the Steelers out yet. Gone are the days where the better teams would pretty much always win in the playoffs. As close as teams are today, it real is more about who catches fire. We are looking pretty solid to make the playoffs. It will take a hell of a run to win the division. But either way, get to the second season and see what happens.

Steelgal
11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I suggest you stay FAR away from the chat room during games. You think the board gets bad, you ain't seen nothing, lol!!!

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Overreacting? On this board? What???

OK, guilty. At least a little bit.

But I feel like I need to vent somewhere...and I like this board better than any other.
So, lucky y'all... :lol: :lol: :lol:

pfelix73
11-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree...

I find myself spending less and less time on the board because of the over-the-top hyperbolic reactions...

It happens...

Yep. I agree too...

:tt1

BURGH86STEEL
11-28-2011, 10:53 PM
I agree...

It happens...

Yep. I agree too...

:tt1
Yep

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-28-2011, 10:58 PM
can't have it both ways flip.

in the lebeau thread you said our talent stinks.

now we are loaded?

Different thread, different facts, different argument...........

Come on, thats message board logic.

SteelAbility
11-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Internet Message Board Overreaction Syndrome

I believe that's IMBOS for short, right?

So you are you saying some on this board are IMBOSiles? :lol: :P :Binky :moon

BradshawsHairdresser
11-29-2011, 02:36 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

steelblood
11-29-2011, 09:42 AM
It was ugly. But, it is over and we won. We have also played pretty well against some great teams lately. This team has to improve to win the Super Bowl. But, we are not that far off.

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Hell even when we were dominating the league in the 70s we lost a few in November/December.

There is so much parity in this league I think it's impossible to count a team like the Steelers out yet. Gone are the days where the better teams would pretty much always win in the playoffs. As close as teams are today, it real is more about who catches fire.

Not even just that, you need luck. Green Bay loses in Philly if the dope receiver doesn't come down with his foot OOB in the end zone on the final drive. Easy catch, and he botched the footwork. They also were within a whisker of losing to Caleb Hainey. Does Cutler beat them if he stays healthy?

In 2005, we caught a huge break when Kemo collapsed Palmer's knee. We also got every close call in the Super Bowl.

pittpete
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Everyone deals with wins and losses in a different way.
Does it make us wrong because some critize or critique the team in different ways.
I missed 1 game in 12 years, does that make me a better or more knowledeable fan than someone on this board?
We come here to vent,we come to gloat.
Whos right whos wrong?
If our opinions mattered we'd all be making big $$$$ as a TV analyst for the NFL.
I cant watch the game with anyone because Im too negative I'm told.
When it comes to the Steelers I expect them to go 16-0 every year.

kindlecatsb'ng
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I suggest you stay FAR away from the chat room during games. You think the board gets bad, you ain't seen nothing, lol!!!

How true, Gal!!!
But I miss participating on it when I cannot. It sure adds a different twist to watching the games.

LET'S GO STEELERS!!! :tt1

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-29-2011, 04:58 PM

That explains it.

In Baltimore, they're called "BIMBOSiles".

:ratsuck :Boobs :Agree :lol:

Doogie36
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I love this post!

What about the Packers easy schedule? Sure they look amazing but who the heck are they playing? The NFC is always weak and this year it looks even weaker! Falcons can't pick up a half inch, the dream team is a nighmare, The Lions have return to normal, the Saints lack Defense, the Cowboys and Giants are falling again late in the year. All the excitement this year is in the AFC as always. Even the HOT 49ers came back to reality after facing a AFC Raven's team. The NFC doesnt scare me and I think we match up well with the PACKERS! I really do!

The AFC however is where the excitement is: Oakland without McFadden is looking good and Palmer will only get better. Tebow Mania is sweeping the nation and ugly wins is something BEN use to do his Rookie Season!!!!!!! We took those wins as the Bronco's fans are taking theirs. The JETS are 1 Sanchez good game away from winning a game, the Ravens are 1 Flacco good game from winning, the Pats are 1 good defensive game from winning a game, the Bengals are 1 lucky game away. We are the most complete team in the AFC IMO! We kill ourselves and we dont have the glaring area that needs to improve or we wont win..................The AFC is always tough and I think when ON our team is the team to beat without question.

The overall product this year has suffered with the lack of mini camps and the lighter practices!! The penaltys and instant replays this year have also been a nightmare. What the heck is a catch? what is a penalty and what does a coach even need to challenge anymore? THe product has changed and the quality is lacking from the majority of the teams.

With that said i have said this a zillion times!!!!!! A win on the road is a huge win regardless of the score or the way it was won. The Ravens went into Seattle and laid an egg and yet they lead our division!!!!!!!! Road games are HARD regardless and this win after a bye week is HUGE! The track record of teams coming off a bye this year speaks for itself and we passed that test!!!!!! Bring on the Bengals!!!!!!!!!!

Wilkinsburg
11-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Now quitcherbicthin.

Spot On! :tt2

NKySteeler
11-29-2011, 09:04 PM

So you are you saying some on this board are IMBOSiles?

LoL!... Best line I've heard all year!

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM

This team has been on the verge of losing to some very bad teams this year......

Bravo!! Nice Flip. I agree. :Clap

Dee Dub
11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Everyone deals with wins and losses in a different way.
Does it make us wrong because some critize or critique the team in different ways.
I missed 1 game in 12 years, does that make me a better or more knowledeable fan than someone on this board?
We come here to vent,we come to gloat.
Whos right whos wrong?
If our opinions mattered we'd all be making big $$$$ as a TV analyst for the NFL.
I cant watch the game with anyone because Im too negative I'm told.
When it comes to the Steelers I expect them to go 16-0 every year.

This is pretty solid too, Pete. Nice.

We are fans..which is short for fanatics! Of course we are going to over-react on occasion. This is our passion.

But I will say there is a huge difference in the occasion criticism to that of those who constantly criticize the QB of this team. You know the guy who has won two Super Bowls and three AFC Championships? :wink: