PDA

View Full Version : This Defense SUCKS!!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-28-2011, 08:57 AM
... with Troy, Woodley, and Harrison on the sidelines!! (Yes, that man without a back playing in the #92 jersey was a Harrison imposter).

Clearly LeBeau has lost it, the game has passed him by. We should just start playing for next year already, it is our only chance.

:D

DukieBoy
11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
We aren't winning the LOS much these days, and we aren't getting the QB pressures as much (no Wood and impaired James).

Oviedo
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
... with Troy, Woodley, and Harrison on the sidelines!! (Yes, that man without a back playing in the #92 jersey was a Harrison imposter).

Clearly LeBeau has lost it, the game has passed him by. We should just start playing for next year already, it is our only chance.

It doesn't suck but you can't roll with the same thing year in and year out without everyone catching on. As I have been saying for a couple of years we do need a fresh look at what we do on defense. I don't think LeBeau can do that. He is too close.

LeBeau's defense is predicated on pressure on the QB and getting turnovers. He can't figure out how to do that this season and it will likely result in a short stay in the play offs once you play just good teams.

We need to bring in someone who can objectively look at the players we have and decide that we continue with the 3-4 with modification or go to the 4-3 or whatever best utilizes the talent we have or realizes we need new talent.

SidSmythe
11-28-2011, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't say it "Sucks" but it's not what we are use to seeing.

It seems our weakness (our secondary) is our strength and our Front 7 is just average.

Having Woodley out doesn't help, but come on.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Defense gave up 9 points. Offense put up 13 and left 30 on the field. Defense was missing Troy and Woodley, two pro bowlers. Who was the offense missing?

Wilkinsburg
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
And yet, in points allowed, we are 4th in the league....ya, they just suck. :HeadBanger

SteelAbility
11-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Defense gave up 9 points. Offense put up 13 and left 30 on the field. Defense was missing Troy and Woodley, two pro bowlers. Who was the offense missing?

A good coordinator? :lol:

Discipline of Steel
11-30-2011, 07:37 AM

I knew you were joking.

phillyesq
11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

It doesn't suck but you can't roll with the same thing year in and year out without everyone catching on. As I have been saying for a couple of years we do need a fresh look at what we do on defense. I don't think LeBeau can do that. He is too close.

LeBeau's defense is predicated on pressure on the QB and getting turnovers. He can't figure out how to do that this season and it will likely result in a short stay in the play offs once you play just good teams.

We need to bring in someone who can objectively look at the players we have and decide that we continue with the 3-4 with modification or go to the 4-3 or whatever best utilizes the talent we have or realizes we need new talent.

This poor dead horse has been beaten so much that you risk being charged with animal cruelty. :lol:

rpmpit
11-30-2011, 09:22 AM

I knew you were joking.

Same here. And for those who didn't...if the sarcasm was over your head - the :D was a pretty clear indication that he was joking.

7 UP
11-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Our defense played OUTSTANDING on Sunday night!! Had they not played outstanding Sunday night, we would be 7-4 right now.

I have been reading this bashing of Lebeau and I laugh everytime I read it. Did it ever occur to anyone, that when you dont have players in the game with the capabilities of getting to he quarterback consistently, then you cant blitz as much? Harrison is a shell of his former self this year. Worlids is no Woodley, neither is Timmons. Ziggy Hood is no where near the rusher from DE that Aaron Smith was in his prime. If you blitz, and you dont get there you will get killed in zone coverage, its just that simple.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2011, 09:41 AM

I knew you were joking.

Same here. And for those who didn't...if the sarcasm was over your head - the :D was a pretty clear indication that he was joking.

Sorry, until these two posts, I didn't even consider that people were responding thinking it was serious! There's some word for it, where one argues an opposing viewpoint to show how silly it is, I should ask my kid what that's called because if I ever knew it I forget, but anyway, yes, that is what I was doing. I thought maybe the "... the only thing left for us to do is play for next year" comment would give it away!

I'm clearly guilty of smiley abuse, I guess I should have used the :stirpot smiley instead of the :D ! (But NEVER the dreaded :roll: - them's fighting words!!).

My real point was that it's hard to evaluate the defense, or criticise it TOO heavily, when it's missing its 3 best players - Troy, Wood, Deebo. OR when it gets 3 (or was it 4?) turnovers.

Oh well - the one thing for is ...

:bungalssuck !!

fordfixer
11-30-2011, 09:51 AM

I knew you were joking.

Sorry, until these two posts, I didn't even consider that people were responding thinking it was serious! There's some word for it, where one argues an opposing viewpoint to show how silly it is, I should ask my kid what that's called because if I ever knew it I forget, but anyway, yes, that is what I was doing. I thought maybe the "... the only thing left for us to do is play for next year" comment would give it away!

I'm clearly guilty of smiley abuse, I guess I should have used the :stirpot smiley instead of the :D ! (But NEVER the dreaded :roll: - them's fighting words!!).

My real point was that it's hard to evaluate the defense, or criticise it TOO heavily, when it's missing its 3 best players - Troy, Wood, Deebo. OR when it gets 3 (or was it 4?) turnovers.

:roll: :lol:

7 UP
11-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I knew you were joking. Theres others out there, that say similar things, that arent joking. My comments were for them.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2011, 10:00 AM
... (But NEVER the dreaded :roll: - them's fighting words!!)....

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/ali-frazier.jpg

:lol:

Wilkinsburg
11-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, I didn't know you were joking. Have you seen some of the threads and comments in here? In fact, I'm still not sure you are not just backing away because you got called out.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, I didn't know you were joking. Have you seen some of the threads and comments in here? In fact, I'm still not sure you are not just backing away because you got called out.

Dear Wilkinsburg -

I'm shattered that I don't have your confidence in matters such as these. I know I don't deserve it, but I beg the chance to earn your trust and respect in the future with posts that you approve of and find appropriate!

[appropriate smiley here][/appropriate smiley here]

All kidding aside and to be honest, Wilkinsburg, watching that game was even more of a :HeadBanger than most. And the memory of that last 92 yard :ratsuck drive on the last series was so searingly fresh. If you think this board is too negative, then (like Steelergal says) stay away from the live in-game chatboard! But like I said in the initial post - we were without our top 3 defensive players, it's too hard to justify bashing the D under those circumstances.

Here's hoping to :bungalssuck , and :ratsuck this weekend too.

:Cheers

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Of course the defense doesn't "suck", but we need more splash plays, as coach would say. Sacks, turnovers, the odd TD return.

phillyesq
11-30-2011, 11:58 AM

I knew you were joking.

SanAntonio, I realized that you were joking and quite enjoyed the post... it was the post in response to yours to which the dead horse comment was directed.

I apologize if you thought that was directed to you... :Cheers

pittpete
11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Maybe change the title to this defense is "Vanilla"
No Woodley,Harrison not at full health,Ziggy the imposter & invisiTimmons and the old man at ILB what the hell else can we do?

Sorry, but this offensive Offense is the problem
NFL DEFENSIVE RANKINGS
-2nd in team def.
-6th against the rush
-3rd against the pass
-4th in points allowed

NFL OFFENSIVE RANKINGS
-10th in team off.
-18th in rushing yards
-8th in passing yards
-19th in points scored<<<<<This right here is our friggin problem!!!!!!

Wilkinsburg
11-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Dear Wilkinsburg -

I'm shattered that I don't have your confidence in matters such as these. I know I don't deserve it, but I beg the chance to earn your trust and respect in the future with posts that you approve of and find appropriate!

[appropriate smiley here][/appropriate smiley here]

All kidding aside and to be honest, Wilkinsburg, watching that game was even more of a :HeadBanger than most. And the memory of that last 92 yard :ratsuck drive on the last series was so searingly fresh. If you think this board is too negative, then (like Steelergal says) stay away from the live in-game chatboard! But like I said in the initial post - we were without our top 3 defensive players, it's too hard to justify bashing the D under those circumstances.

Here's hoping to :bungalssuck , and :ratsuck this weekend too.

:Cheers

I guess I am just going to plead stupidity. The first part of your post was loaded with sarcasm...i got that..but then you toss in the Flacco drive and all the sudden I think you're serious again. :HeadBanger . Look, it drives me nuts that people think if the Steelers aren't 16-0 and Super Bowl champs every year that they suck. Its just crazy. The NFL is a hard place to win and we are so blessed to root for a team that almost always has a shot. Some conversation and criticism is legit but a lot of the junk on here is just stupid and belongs on a Ravens forum where they don't have a clue...not in Steeler Nation where people should know better.

fordfixer
11-30-2011, 07:51 PM
... (But NEVER the dreaded :roll: - them's fighting words!!)....

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/ali-frazier.jpg

:lol:
O.K. but I get to be Ali :lol: :lol:

NorthCoast
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
This Defense is built around Troy.....no Troy, no defense...bottom line.

When Troy finally hangs it up, this defense will look much different.

Discipline of Steel
11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
The Steelers D has always been awesome. Lord Lambert has always been my hero, symbol of the intimidating manner in which they play. Players like Troy will come and go but the only thing capable of bringing them down for good is Roger Goodell.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-30-2011, 11:55 PM

I knew you were joking.

SanAntonio, I realized that you were joking and quite enjoyed the post... it was the post in response to yours to which the dead horse comment was directed.

I apologize if you thought that was directed to you... :Cheers

Hey Philly Esq.!

No apologies necessary, my friend (and I didn't, of course, of all the people on this board, I figured a lawyer would do just fine reading between the lines)!

Here's a double Iron City - thanks! :Cheers :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes

Thursday, December 01, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201111/lf01steelers_330.jpg

Larry Foote, left, James Harrison, right, joke with Casey Hampton before the start of practice Wednesday at the South Side facilities.

They run the same scheme. They have the same coach. They again rank highly among NFL defenses.

But no one calls them Blitzburgh anymore, not even close. That was a term used to describe the mid-1990s defenses that included an architect named D!ck LeBeau, defenses that rang up a team-record 55 sacks in '94 and 51 in '96.

When it comes to sacks, Zipsburgh might be a more appropriate way to describe them this season.

LeBeau's current defense -- ranked No. 2 in the NFL -- has only 24 sacks, just one in the past two games. That puts them on a pace for 35 for the full season, which would be their fewest since they had 35 in 2003, when they had a 6-10 record. They haven't had fewer sacks since 1990, when they managed 34.

Where has the sack gone in the Steelers' repertoire and could that be a reason the defense also has produced such few turnovers?

Help is on the way. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley went through his first full practice Wednesday for the first time since his hamstring was severely injured late in the game Oct. 30 against New England. At the time, he was leading the AFC with nine sacks, on pace to break the team record. He's still tied for second, just 1.5 behind rookie Von Miller of Denver even though he missed the past three games.

"I was out there practicing again today," Woodley said. "I felt pretty good."

His replacement, Jason Worilds, had the team's only sack the past two games but there is little doubt that a healthy Woodley and James Harrison give the Steelers perhaps the best combination of pass-rushers in the league.

They combined for 27.5 sacks in 2008, more than any two players in club history. They combined for 23.5 in '09 and 20.5 last season.

Harrison has five this season to give him 54 for his career, fourth most in franchise history since the sack became an official stat in 1982. He missed four games this season with a broken orbital bone.

"I missed time, Wood missed some time," Harrison noted. "Between the two of us, that's 7, 8 games? That could be part of it too."

Part of the reason the sack totals are so low. There may be other reasons as well. Harrison and safety Ryan Clark say offenses are throwing the ball quicker against the Steelers than they have in the past. And players say they are not blitzing as often. Clark said teams obviously saw how the Saints, Patriots and Packers successfully attacked with quick passes last season and have copied it.

"People are trying to adopt that mode of operation against us -- 'Let's just get it out, hit the quick passes, take what they give us.' When they can't or when they don't, I think we generate good pressure."

Because of the increase in quick pass releases, Harrison said there's not as much need for sending five or more defenders after the quarterback.

"Some of the times we're getting there without sending pressure," Harrison said. "Some of the times they're getting rid of the ball so fast there's no need to send it."

Occasionally, pressuring a quarterback to throw earlier than he planned by bringing the heat can be better than sacking him, such as when it forces an interception as Harrison did against the Chiefs' Tyler Palko.

"The one sack I missed in Kansas City, he ended up throwing a pick. If I get that sack, we don't get the pick. Sometimes it's better to get pressure."

The Steelers did not sack rookie quarterback Andy Dalton Nov. 13 in Cincinnati. That has become more the norm on the road this season, where they have only five sacks in six games.

The nonstory story

Hines Ward returned to start in Kansas City after he was demoted to No. 4 in Cincinnati the previous game. So, might Ward take another extended seat this Sunday since the Steelers are playing the Bengals again?

"I don't know. I just go out there and play. It's not about me," Ward said. "It's a story, but I'm not trying to make it a story."

It's a story because Ward had never been demoted since he became a starter in 1999 and because he was closing in on two revered receiving thresholds. He needs 15 yards to become the 19th receiver in NFL history with 12,000 yards. And he needs 15 receptions to become only the eighth to hit 1,000.

"I'm crossing my fingers," Ward said. "Fifteen in five games? I would never have thought getting 15 catches would be hard, but you know what? I just want to win games more than anything. I know that's a big goal. I won't stop until I reach that goal."

He emphasized that he does not begrudge his reduced role or the increased playing time of others such as Jerricho Cotchery, who benefited from more time against the Bengals.

"We have some young talent; they're great guys, they're on the cusp of becoming great," Ward said. "Cotchery and myself, we're proven guys who can make plays. Whatever they decide to do with all of us, we'll just go out and do it. You won't hear us griping about anything."

Cotchery caught a 16-yard touchdown pass against the Bengals and had another called back by a penalty.

The room at wide receiver became even more crowded when Emmanuel Sanders rejoined the group after missing two games with a knee injury.

"We have a lot of different personnel groupings," Cotchery said. "I guess we'll just attack them however we want to attack them when the game comes around."

Quick hits

This will be only the fourth time since 1980 the Steelers and Bengals have met in December and each has a winning record. The Bengals won all three previous games in '81, in '90 and in 2005.

Troy Polamalu and Maurkice Pouncey did not practice Wednesday but should be able to play Sunday. Besides Woodley, linebacker Stevenson Sylvester also went through a full practice after missing one game with a calf injury.

Ben Roethlisberger said his broken right thumb is "good. No major setbacks, so moving forward."

Harrison said his back is fine. He had midback spasms that tightened up on him Friday and he couldn't practice.

"I couldn't do anything Friday," Harrison said. "But I got it to where I could go on Sunday."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11335/11 ... z1fRJ1Jw3w (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11335/1193737-66-0.stm#ixzz1fRJ1Jw3w)

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
This Defense is built around Troy.....no Troy, no defense...bottom line.

When Troy finally hangs it up, this defense will look much different.

Troy's one guy. He's an all-time great, sure...but one guy is not the difference between greatness and suckitude.

My father's generation had to worry about what would become of a defense when it lost Donnie Shell and Mel Blount and Jack Ham and Jack Lambert and Joe Greene and L.C. Greenwood.

My generation had to worry about what would become of a defense when it lost Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson and Greg Lloyd and Levon Kirkland and Joel Steed and Ray Seals.

My son's generation has to worry about what would become of a defense when it loses Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor and James Harrison and James Farrior and Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith.

Tomlin's mantra of "the standard is the standard" could apply not only to one guy being injured and his backup needing to play above the line when filling in, it could also apply to the Steeler defense from one generation to the next. We don't rebuild, we reload.