PDA

View Full Version : Why Are People Shocked...

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 12:39 AM
...when a "bad" team is able to play well on a Sunday night home game?

The Steelers were scheduled for two Sunday night away games...they won both...

By way of comparison, Philly was scheduled for two Sunday night away games and is 1-1...

Dallas was scheduled for two and lost both...

New England hasn't played their second one yet...

It's hard to win a Sunday night road game...it's harder to win two...

NJ-STEELER
11-28-2011, 12:42 AM
its harder to win any road game IMO then a home game

throw in the national audience, and it makes it that much harder.

like how the dolphins stuck with the cowboys on thursday

grotonsteel
11-28-2011, 12:42 AM
I would also add that NFL Teams are struggling this year in a game they play after a bye week. Something to do with not able to practice in pads.

skyhawk
11-28-2011, 12:57 AM
wait, what?

JAR
11-28-2011, 12:58 AM
But despite all of those facts, the chicken little's are out in force.

Starlifter
11-28-2011, 02:03 AM

I don't think I'm a 'chicken little' but does it really feel like the steelers are 8-3?

we have some serious issues that need addressed. The good news is we have a strong core group and an elite QB. That combined with a favorable schedule has allowed us to take advantage and post a good record. Having said that:

if we continue to struggle to score TD's - especially in the red zone
if we continue to self-inflict wounds with ridiculous penalties
if we continue to struggle pressuring the QB
if we continue to let teams hang on for one last shot with 2 minutes to go

then our post-season will be very short. now, can those issues be fixed in time? absolutely. until they are however, you'll pardon me if my crystal ball doesn't have me booking tix to indy just yet.

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Steelers manage to hold off Chiefs on road

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 28, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1368942/39057485E.jpg

KANSAS CITY, Mo. The Steelers didn't earn any style points during a nationally televised game Sunday night at Arrowhead Stadium.

But after grinding out a 13-9 win over the Kansas City Chiefs, the Steelers are tied with New England, Houston and Baltimore for the best record in the AFC (8-3) with five games remaining on a schedule that is anything but daunting.

An opportunistic defense bailed out an offense that stopped itself as much as Kansas City did last night in front of an announced crowd of 72,173.

The Steelers forced four turnovers, including a second-quarter interception that set up the only touchdown of the game. The Steelers also made a key defensive stand midway through the fourth quarter, forcing the Chiefs (4-7) to settle for a field goal when a touchdown would have tied the score.

They held again at the end of the game after Kansas City had driven inside the Steelers' 40-yard line. Cornerback Keenan Lewis intercepted Tyler Palko with less than 30 seconds left to preserve the victory.

"Defense stepped up huge," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "They carried us."

The Steelers return to Heinz Field next Sunday to play the Cincinnati Bengals, who are 7-4 and remain in contention in the AFC North.

A loss last night would have been crippling to the Steelers' prospects of winning the division, and Roethlisberger played just well enough for them to survive an upset bid by the Chiefs (4-7).

"They did their job better than we did ours at points and times," said Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall, who rushed for 57 yards on 17 carries. "When the defense gives us field position like that, we've got to take advantage of it."

Roethlisberger, playing with a glove and splint to protect his broken right thumb, threw for 193 yards and a touchdown as well as one interception.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Roethlisberger said the broken thumb did not hinder Roethlisberger or have anything to do with the offense's struggles.

Roethlisberger had to tap into his creative juices as well as his instinct for self-preservation on a wind-blown night in America's heartland.

Chiefs outside linebacker Tamba Hali gave left tackle Max Starks problems all night, forcing Roethlisberger to scramble and improvise such as he did before completing a 6-yard pass to running back Isaac Redman on fourth down late in the first quarter. That led to the first of the Steelers' three scores.

The Steelers had trouble staying out of their own way offensively last night and relied on their defense.

Strong safety Ryan Mundy, playing for the injured Troy Polamalu, intercepted an ill-advised Palko pass a minute and a half into the second quarter, setting up the Steelers at the Chiefs' 29.

Seven plays later, Roethlisberger threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to Weslye Saunders. The rookie tight end making a tricky grab in the back of the end zone. The Chiefs aided the drive when their defensive holding penalty nullified Hali's third-down sack. The teams traded field goals after Saunders' touchdown.

Shaun Suisham made a 49-yarder on the final play of the first half it was his longest field goal as a Steeler giving them a 13-6 lead at intermission.

Both offenses continued to scuffle in the second half, and there was no scoring in the second half until Succop made a 40-yard field goal with seven minutes left in the game.

"It's kind of a mixed feeling-type thing," Roethlisberger said. "You're happy to get the win, but disappointed the way your offense played."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1eyZkl8E8 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_769298.html#ixzz1eyZkl8E8)

BURGH86STEEL
11-28-2011, 04:56 AM

I don't think I'm a 'chicken little' but does it really feel like the steelers are 8-3?

we have some serious issues that need addressed. The good news is we have a strong core group and an elite QB. That combined with a favorable schedule has allowed us to take advantage and post a good record. Having said that:

then our post-season will be very short. now, can those issues be fixed in time? absolutely. until they are however, you'll pardon me if my crystal ball doesn't have me booking tix to indy just yet.

Feels like the Steelers are 8-3. That's because the Steelers are 8-3.

I suspect that scoring red zone TD's will always be an issue as long as Ben is the QB of this team. Just gonna have to live with that.

I don't believe they commit that amount of penalties every game.

Regarding the pass rush, what do you expect when the team's 2 best pass rushers are not 100%?

Regarding letting teams hang around for one last shot. Haven't you watched this team for the last 15 years? They've won more games then they loss letting teams hang around.

"Our post season will be very short" I've been reading posts similar to that since I've participated on message boards over the years. The team had their share of deep post season over the years. I can live with it if the team happens to make the playoffs and have a short post season this year. Just making the playoffs will be a huge accomplishment considering the amount of injuries this team had/has to over come this season. Sometimes, it's just not a team's season.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 08:11 AM

No. The offense has no rhythm or purpose. A play here, a play there, and a bunch of muddled confusion. Line breakdowns, WR drops, bad passes, tentative running, predictable play calling. They don't look like a confident group.

The defense, as flippy pointed out, doesn't get pressure. The biggest myth in the NFL is that LeBeau is some kind of zone blitz wizard. Last night's sack by Gay was the first corner blitz I've seen all year. When is the last time we saw Timmons or Farrior hit the A-gap? Safety blitz? We slam 3 or 4 guys into the line and play soft zones.

We're going to win 11 or 12 based on the soft schedule alone, but I don't see this as a team that can make any kind of run. Not at this point anyway.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Feels like the Steelers are 8-3. That's because the Steelers are 8-3.

I suspect that scoring red zone TD's will always be an issue as long as Ben is the QB of this team. Just gonna have to live with that.

Ben takes the best offensive players off the field for five TEs and calls running plays on 1st and 2nd down in the red zone?

Our offensive coaching stinks.

phillyesq
11-28-2011, 08:21 AM

By way of comparison, Philly was scheduled for two Sunday night away games and is 1-1...

Nice to see a voice of reason.

Also, as mentioned below, the inability to practice in pads has hurt teams coming off the bye this year. At Arrowhead has never been a friendly destination for the Steelers.

It was an ugly win, but at the end of the game, it was a win. I'd hate to see what it would look like here if the Steelers lost.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 09:48 AM

At the Colts and Chiefs. Combined record 4-18.

At the Falcons and Giants. Combined record 13-8.

At the Jets and Eagles. Combined record 11-11.

But in their first they blew out the 6-5 Jets.

Not when they're against the bottom of the league teams playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Take the W's, don't make them sound like they beat the 1976 Raiders. Two ugly, lucky wins.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2011, 09:59 AM
[quote=Slapstick]...when a "bad" team is able to play well on a Sunday night home game?

Not when they're against the bottom of the league teams playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Take the W's, don't make them sound like they beat the 1976 Raiders. Two ugly, lucky wins.[/quote:3w55ouaq]

Touche!

Slapstick, :owned

feltdizz
11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
How many of those teams have won SB's or been to SB's lately?

I know we want to see dominance and blowouts but I think the close wins help us once the playoffs start.

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Not when they're against the bottom of the league teams playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Take the W's, don't make them sound like they beat the 1976 Raiders. Two ugly, lucky wins.

You mentioned the 1976 Raiders, not me...

The Steelers had to play two Sunday night road games in an any given Sunday league...and they won both...

At least attempt to read the post before you offer an ill-informed critique...

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
The Chiefs didn't play well on Sunday night....they didn't step up their game and play well....we played terrible. We left at a minimum 3 TD's on the field. For the amount of offensive weapons we have, our offense is putrid. We have GB caliber weapons and have no idea what to do with them.

williar
11-28-2011, 01:55 PM
The Chiefs didn't play well on Sunday night....they didn't step up their game and play well....we played terrible. We left at a minimum 3 TD's on the field. For the amount of offensive weapons we have, our offense is putrid. We have GB caliber weapons and have no idea what to do with them.

So true !!! :Agree

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Yet our OC is a genius who always calls the right plays. :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
[quote=Slapstick]...when a "bad" team is able to play well on a Sunday night home game?

Not when they're against the bottom of the league teams playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Take the W's, don't make them sound like they beat the 1976 Raiders. Two ugly, lucky wins.[/quote:4p5bmogk]

Luckily for us, we don't need to impress BCS voters or the Final Four selection committee with "quality wins." In the NFL, they all count the same. Another checkmark in the "W" column.

grotonsteel
11-28-2011, 03:10 PM
We have GB caliber weapons and have no idea what to do with them.

Right now Rodgers is playing better than Ben and GB WR corps are unbelievable. How many times we have seen Rodgers throw in a tight coverage and his WR comes up with the catch.

Steelers Young Money dropped 5-6 catches yesterday. 2TD passes i might add.

Also they have a FB in the offense :wink:

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
[quote=WindyCitySteel][quote=Slapstick]...when a "bad" team is able to play well on a Sunday night home game?

Not when they're against the bottom of the league teams playing 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Take the W's, don't make them sound like they beat the 1976 Raiders. Two ugly, lucky wins.[/quote:18dlecue]

Luckily for us, we don't need to impress BCS voters or the Final Four selection committee with "quality wins." In the NFL, they all count the same. Another checkmark in the "W" column.[/quote:18dlecue]

Yes, that's the good thing. Luckily for us, Tomlin was probably completely dissatisfied with the effort and will focus on making the team better. In the NFL, if you aren't playing your best football when the playoffs begin, you won't last long.

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, that's the good thing. Luckily for us, Tomlin was probably completely dissatisfied with the effort and will focus on making the team better. In the NFL, if you aren't playing your best football when the playoffs begin, you won't last long.

On this, we agree...

A win is a win...once the clock hits 0:00, you work on improving what was lacking and install the game plan for the next opponent...

Hand wringing and complaining is for message boards...

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 03:51 PM

On this, we agree...

A win is a win...once the clock hits 0:00, you work on improving what was lacking and install the game plan for the next opponent...

Hand wringing and complaining is for message boards...

Why do people get upset with hand wringing and complaining? It's a good way to vent when you invest so much emotionally into something you have no control over.

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Why do people get upset with hand wringing and complaining? It's a good way to vent when you invest so much emotionally into something you have no control over.

I don't get upset with the hand wringing and complaining...I don't ever recall telling people that they have no right to do so or that they should stop...

Personally, I find it to be a waste of time and energy and I try to promote that particular viewpoint in my posts...

There are many opinions posted on here that I feel are way off base (like Flippy saying that the Steelers have the "worst front seven in the NFL")...I will enter a debate if I choose only because if someone was not open to debate or questioning, a message board is a bad place to be...

But everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. And I am entitled to agree or disagree if it is posted here...

birtikidis
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I agree that some people take it way too far. But on the same token, it'd be a pretty boring board if people didn't express their frustration. I personally don't try to overreact, and I try to poke the bear sometimes (guys like Dub become very good debaters if you pi$$ them off first).

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree that some people take it way too far. But on the same token, it'd be a pretty boring board if people didn't express their frustration. I personally don't try to overreact, and I try to poke the bear sometimes (guys like Dub become very good debaters if you pi$$ them off first).

Dub is definitely a master debater...

Sugar
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM

I disagree with this to a point. The Chefs D tried to take the team on their backs. Tyler didn't play that badly, it was just obvious that his WR's were not on the same page. They played like a team with something to prove, we didn't.

Even still, we limited an NFL offense to less than 10 points on their home field. I'll take that any game.

NorthCoast
11-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Losing your ProBowl center at the start of the game, having yet another OL reshuffle, losing your biggest defensive star, noisy Arrowhead, bunch of young WRs not exposed to this kind of noise before, a VERY motivated opponent, bye week blues,....all those things factor into what we seen last night. Teams are caught off guard all the time in this league. How else do you explain Ravens losing to Seattle?

Snuck out of town with the win, getting set for the real test next week.