PDA

View Full Version : Fire BA

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Called a good first drive, as usual, then sucked big time. I suppose we'll see another fluff piece about what a genius he is. He still believes he never makes the wrong call. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Not putting it all on him...Ben threw a dumb pick, Mewelde coughed up the ball going in, receivers dropped more than their share, not to mention all the penalties...but come on...time for Arians to "get on with his life's work," as Coach Noll used to say.

Sugar
11-28-2011, 01:19 AM
A lot of the Offense's issues seemed like execution more than playcalling tonight. I can't really fault Arians for much today.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-28-2011, 01:25 AM
was BA out there holding all night?

BURGH86STEEL
11-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Contrary to what appears to be popular belief, the coaches can't over come mistakes or poor play by the players on the field.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Tired of seeing DJ and Saunders take snaps instead of our young, dynamic WRs. We also have a running back who excelled running from a spread offense in college at Illinois, but we refuse to use him that way.

The players botched some things last night, but the plan still stinks.

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 08:41 AM
If Saunders continues to make great TD catches while our young WRs drop passes, I won't have a problem seeing him more...

Oviedo
11-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Contrary to what appears to be popular belief, the coaches can't over come mistakes or poor play by the players on the field.

:Agree Execution sucked last night. I put that on the players.

However, both our coordinators should retire after the season. We did not see great adjustments by LeBeau last night either. Thank goodness we played Tyler Palko and not Tom Brady.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
If Saunders continues to make great TD catches while our young WRs drop passes, I won't have a problem seeing him more...

I need a bigger sample size than one.

Slapstick
11-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I need a bigger sample size than one.

If the young WRs keep dropping them, you will get a bigger sample size...

feltdizz
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Called a good first drive, as usual, then sucked big time. I suppose we'll see another fluff piece about what a genius he is. He still believes he never makes the wrong call. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Not putting it all on him...Ben threw a dumb pick, Mewelde coughed up the ball going in, receivers dropped more than their share, not to mention all the penalties...but come on...time for Arians to "get on with his life's work," as Coach Noll used to say.

that's a long list....

just sayin' :wink:

fezziwig
11-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Tired of seeing DJ and Saunders take snaps instead of our young, dynamic WRs. We also have a running back who excelled running from a spread offense in college at Illinois, but we refuse to use him that way.

Arian is stupid and you can't fix stupid.

I know he isn't the one with the drops or the holds but, as a coach he has got to be one of the worse or have some pretty sad stats.

feltdizz
11-28-2011, 09:52 AM

I know he isn't the one with the drops or the holds but, as a coach he has got to be one of the worse or have some pretty sad stats.

how can people talk about drops, holds, bad passes, bad protection and blame the OC?

I could see if the players were on point and the play calling sucked but these guys were dropping good passes and we fumbled on the 2.

blame the players and move on to the next game...

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2011, 10:08 AM

how can people talk about drops, holds, bad passes, bad protection and blame the OC?

I could see if the players were on point and the play calling sucked but these guys were dropping good passes and we fumbled on the 2.

How can you look at all those series, especially in the second half, and absolve BA of blame? Pathetic play-calling. Regardless of the miscues by the players. My 13-year old son could do a better job of calling plays.

All night long, Al and Chris were gushing about how great the KC defense played. The KC defense is nothing special at all this season. They looked so good, in part, because so much of the time, they knew what was coming.

But hey, be happy, because our "genius" OC is planning to come back next year. :roll:

feltdizz
11-28-2011, 10:20 AM

How can you look at all those series, especially in the second half, and absolve BA of blame? Pathetic play-calling. Regardless of the miscues by the players. My 13-year old son could do a better job of calling plays.

All night long, Al and Chris were gushing about how great the KC defense played. The KC defense is nothing special at all this season. They looked so good, in part, because so much of the time, they knew what was coming.

But hey, be happy, because our "genius" OC is planning to come back next year. :roll:

I didn't say BA had a great game but it's hard to blame him when our players make so many mistakes.

I doubt your son is a better play caller but if he is you should be a rich man in a few years.

KC looked good because our players made horrible mistakes and looked slow and aloof half the game.

WindyCitySteel
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Here are BA's offensive rankings as OC in Pittsburgh. Yards per game first, PPG second, Ben's red zone QB rating in parentheses. Even with this year's low red zone rating, he's got 12 TD and 2 INT.

Maybe we don't need to run the ball so much down there.

2011: 10th, 19th (79.7)
2010: 14th, 12th (96.5)
2009: 7th, 12rh (82.1)
2008: 22nd, 20th (95.0)
2007: 17th, 9th (99.3)

fezziwig
11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Never broke the top five of anything with all the talent this team has. BA = AssClown

7 UP
11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Play calling was bad last night. The deep ball wasnt there. And BA kept dialing up deep passes which ended drives. We continue to try and run wide, when we dont do it well. Th play calling had no flow or rhythm to it.

The execution was equally as bad, and drops and turnovers didnt help matters. I have actually been satisfied with BA up to this point. But I thought the play calling last night was especially bad.

Steelgal
11-28-2011, 09:21 PM
BA seems to have one great game for every 3-4 bad/dismal games. The game against the Pats* was genius and he called another great game (can't remember which one). But the rest have been average, at best. What happened to the short passing schemes they used against the Pats?? Sure could of used those last night. Ben's completion % of 15+ yards has to be terrible in the past few games, yet he didn't go away from it in the second half. Yes, the receivers dropped balls, but maybe you should throw higher percentage passes?

I don't understand why Redman wasn't used more. Don't know if that Arians or Tomlin's call. Mendy can't break a tackle to save his life and the oline wasn't creating too many holes last night. redman should have gotton most of the work load.

fezziwig
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I think Saunders could be the real deal at tightend. Was he not getting open after the td pass or does ben and arians only have eyes for the knockout punch ?

BURGH86STEEL
11-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Play calling was bad last night. The deep ball wasnt there. And BA kept dialing up deep passes which ended drives. We continue to try and run wide, when we dont do it well. Th play calling had no flow or rhythm to it.

The execution was equally as bad, and drops and turnovers didnt help matters. I have actually been satisfied with BA up to this point. But I thought the play calling last night was especially bad.
The deep ball may not had been there. Just because a WR runs deep didn't mean Ben needed to throw the ball to that WR. The object of the coaches is to give the QB options. Ben made the decision where he wanted to go with the football based the defense. I can understand why the coaches wanted to send WR's deep. Wallace usually requires 2 defenders. As a result, other WR's may get favorable match ups underneath. Someone would be complaining about not sending WR's deep if they didn't.

Poor execution and mistakes have a way of making game plans look bad.

feltdizz
11-29-2011, 06:52 PM
People act like BA has a gun to Ben's head and forces him to throw deep.

We all know Ben likes the big play and has a hard time taking what teams give him underneath.

Every inconmpletion is a BA decision though so its hard to fault Ben or think he has control over where the ball goes.

fezziwig
11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
I live life or view things as, " the boss is the boss " All things should fall upon the boss, the man in charge. If Ben isn't taking what the defense is giving him it's Bens fault but , if BA isn't going to coach his guy to do the correct thing, then it's BA fault.

NorthCoast
11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
So much for BA's talent at making adjustments:

Rank, Pts/GM by Quarter

1st = 10th, 5.4
2nd = 11th, 7.5
3rd = 23rd, 3.6
4th = 24th. 4.6

So this team starts house afire, and it is all down hill after that. And here is the real kicker, it's not like the O never has a chance cause they dont have the ball. The Steelers are ranked #1 in time of possession in the 3rd quarter (almost 63%). BA has no ability to think on the fly and make an offensive adjustment and it shows in games, especially the 4th quarter where if we could just execute a few first downs, we could close out games in comfortable fashion.

fezziwig
11-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Rank, Pts/GM by Quarter

1st = 10th, 5.4
2nd = 11th, 7.5
3rd = 23rd, 3.6
4th = 24th. 4.6

So this team starts house afire, and it is all down hill after that. And here is the real kicker, it's not like the O never has a chance cause they dont have the ball. The Steelers are ranked #1 in time of possession in the 3rd quarter (almost 63%). BA has no ability to think on the fly and make an offensive adjustment and it shows in games, especially the 4th quarter where if we could just execute a few first downs, we could close out games in comfortable fashion.

How dare you bring truth and logic to the topic of the great Bruce Arians ? Don't you know after three Steeler Super Bowl appearances that Bruce was offered zero head coaching jobs. Okay maybe not offered but his name was thrown into the loop for new head coaching positions ahhh, zero times.
Other teams don't fear Arians or respect his coaching abilities or game plans or what have you. They fear and respect Ben.
How many times have they said Ben can extend a play, Ben can make things happen out of a broken play. Ben has to do all that stuff because the defenses are biitch slapping Arians game plans.

SteelCrazy
11-30-2011, 10:15 PM
The proof is right in front of us.......If Bruce Arians is such a great talent he'd be getting a look from other teams as their new head coach. Any other OC in the league that is part of three SB's, 2 as the OC, would get at least a look, if not offers. He has not received so much as a glance in the last 4 years and that is all the proof needed. However, you need to come to your own conclusion.
:loser

Steelers>NFL
12-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Rank, Pts/GM by Quarter

1st = 10th, 5.4
2nd = 11th, 7.5
3rd = 23rd, 3.6
4th = 24th. 4.6

Good post!

Slapstick
12-01-2011, 09:35 AM
If Mewelde Moore doesn't fumble the ball into the end zone, this thread doesn't exist...

You all know that's true...

feltdizz
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
If Mewelde Moore doesn't fumble the ball into the end zone, this thread doesn't exist...

using the actual events that unfold during a play is useless... it's much easier to blame BA for everything.

He also didn't get any HC offers, it's proof we are better then he will ever be.... :stirpot

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Nonsense. I've been calling for BA to be fired for a long time. Regardless of Moore's fumble, BA's performance, as it is in most games, was below the line.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 10:14 AM
BA has no ability to think on the fly and make an offensive adjustment and it shows in games, especially the 4th quarter where if we could just execute a few first downs, we could close out games in comfortable fashion.

It really comes down to this. I'm convinced that an upgrade at OC would be one of the most beneficial moves this team could make.

WindyCitySteel
12-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Why, because we would have scored 20 against KC with four turnovers handed to us?

You know that's false...

WindyCitySteel
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
BA has no ability to think on the fly and make an offensive adjustment and it shows in games, especially the 4th quarter where if we could just execute a few first downs, we could close out games in comfortable fashion.

It really comes down to this. I'm convinced that an upgrade at OC would be one of the most beneficial moves this team could make.

Mike Mularkey would do wonders with this talent. He had the 7th and 8th ranked scoring offenses here in 2001 and 2002.

First with Kordell, then with Tommy Gun.

That's impressive no matter how you slice it. Would love to see what he could do with this team.

Slapstick
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Nonsense. I've been calling for BA to be fired for a long time. Regardless of Moore's fumble, BA's performance, as it is in most games, was below the line.

I never said that you didn't feel this way about Arians...

But, you wouldn't have started an all new thread on the topic if Mewelde Moore hadn't fumbled the ball into the end zone...

That's the truth...

feltdizz
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Mike Mularkey would do wonders with this talent. He had the 7th and 8th ranked scoring offenses here in 2001 and 2002.

First with Kordell, then with Tommy Gun.

That's impressive no matter how you slice it. Would love to see what he could do with this team.

stats or wins? :stirpot

feltdizz
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM

But, you wouldn't have started an all new thread on the topic if Mewelde Moore hadn't fumbled the ball into the end zone...

That's the truth...

actually... he probably would have started a thread. The OC is the whipping boy... I can't wait to get a new one so we can bash him too.

NorthCoast
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
In spite of the huge amount of talent on the O side of the ball, we rank 19th in the NFL in pts/gm (21.2). Who is behind us?

Offensive juggernauts like TEN (20.5), DEN (20.1), MIN (19.5).....

these are teams without freaking QBs!!!! ....

BTW, the last Steelers SB offense avg'd 22.7 pts/gm, but we had an all-time record defense to back that up.

I don't think 21 pts/gm gets us to the SB this season.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 01:28 PM

That's the truth...

If Moore hadn't fumbled on that drive, maybe the Steelers score a TD, likely they score a FG...their offensive output was STILL way below the line. Even if Moore hadn't fumbled at that point, the Steelers STILL would have ended up scoring 14-17 points LESS than they SHOULD have for the game. THAT'S the truth. Even if Moore hadn't fumbled, BA sucked. THAT'S the truth.

I still would have started a "Fire BA" thread. That's the TRUTH.

NorthCoast
12-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Let me ask anyone that cares to answer:

How many times have we heard the words "novel play" or "well designed" and "Bruce Arians" in the same sentence??

rockonsteel
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM

That's the truth...

If Moore hadn't fumbled on that drive, maybe the Steelers score a TD, likely they score a FG...their offensive output was STILL way below the line. Even if Moore hadn't fumbled at that point, the Steelers STILL would have ended up scoring 14-17 points LESS than they SHOULD have for the game. THAT'S the truth. Even if Moore hadn't fumbled, BA sucked. THAT'S the truth.

And as they say my compadre'......The Truth Shall Set You Free!

Rockon

feltdizz
12-01-2011, 01:55 PM

That's the truth...

I'm sorry but what sucked about BA last game? The drop by Wallace in the endzone? The deep drop by Wallace? The fumble by Moore? The no look INT by Ben? Mendenhall pu$$iefooting in the flat at the 7? The hold by Miller?

What exactly did BA suck at last game? They were in position to make a ton of plays and they didn't make them.

fezziwig
12-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Are there fans here that actually believe BA is doing the most or getting the most out of the talent he has on the offense ?

From a scale of 1 to 10 where, does BA stand with you ?

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Let me ask anyone that cares to answer:

How many times have we heard the words "novel play" or "well designed" and "Bruce Arians" in the same sentence??

Bruce Arians' playbook does not contain a well designed novel play.

That was easy! :wink:

Slapstick
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM

I call BS once again...

Moore fumbled on the two...I think (and my opinion is just as valid as yours) that they would have scored a TD...the final score would likely have been 20-9 and no such thread would have been started...

You would still hate Arians, but we wouldn't have this thread to beat the dead horse even more...

feltdizz
12-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Are there fans here that actually believe BA is doing the most or getting the most out of the talent he has on the offense ?

7...and it would be higher if he used Redman more.

SteelTorch
12-01-2011, 05:18 PM

No. He stands at about a 3. And that's always been my biggest beef with him - even when screw-ups aren't his fault, he never actually does anything to help this offense. Does not make the players better, does not game plan well, has no creativity, no ability to adjust, etc. Since he first took over, this offense has ALWAYS underperformed. Some people love to blame the players, but BA has been the one common denominator in this since 2007.

What makes it worse is his outright refusal to change. His attitude toward criticism is completely off base and shows why he's unfit for the job. Instead of meeting criticism with "I know, I need to do better, I'll try," his response is usually "Screw you guys, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, you'll see."

He stinks. Unfortunately, there appears to be no end of him in sight. :?

feltdizz
12-01-2011, 07:38 PM
What OC says "I'm sorry, I'll try to do better" LOL. That statement shows how unrealistic the expectations are.
I can't remember an OC who was humble and didn't have an arrogant attitude. Coaches go into games thinking they have a winning formula.

As far as making players better? Plenty of players have given BA credit for making them better but you choose to ignore it or wave it off as something they are forced to say. We have players tweeting about Bin Laden, calling each other out in the press and getting in trouble with the law but I guess BA has them shook.

James Harisson didn't call out BA, he called out the guy who makes decisions with the ball. Ben is just as much of a constant as BA.

I don't think BA is a 10 but rating him a 3? Ben is a cheerleader for an OC who is a 3? Wow.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 07:51 PM

I call BS once again...

Moore fumbled on the two...I think (and my opinion is just as valid as yours) that they would have scored a TD...the final score would likely have been 20-9 and no such thread would have been started...

You would still hate Arians, but we wouldn't have this thread to beat the dead horse even more...

Dude...I call BS on you.

First of all, as to your assertion that they WOULD have scored a TD on the drive ended by Moore's fumble--I say, check out the Steelers' red zone statistics this year. More likely that they would have scored a FG. But even if the offense HAD scored a TD on that possession, they STILL would have fallen woefully SHORT of their potential for the game. BA still was his typically inept self when it came to making the in-game adjustments necessary to put points on the board in the second half.

Secondly, you don't even know me all that well...yet you sit there and state dogmatically that I absolutely would NOT have started a "Fire BA" thread? :roll: From now on, under the dictionary definition of "arrogance," they need to have the name "Slapstick."

NorthCoast
12-01-2011, 08:20 PM

That's the truth...

I'm sorry but what sucked about BA last game? The drop by Wallace in the endzone? The deep drop by Wallace? The fumble by Moore? The no look INT by Ben? Mendenhall pu$$iefooting in the flat at the 7? The hold by Miller?

What exactly did BA suck at last game? They were in position to make a ton of plays and they didn't make them.

How about 2nd half offensive drives:

3rd qtr 36 yds / TOP 4:27 Punt
3rd qtr 26 yds / TOP 1:58 Punt
4th qtr 13 yds / TOP 2:59 Punt

Slapstick
12-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Dude...I call BS on you.

First of all, as to your assertion that they WOULD have scored a TD on the drive ended by Moore's fumble--I say, check out the Steelers' red zone statistics this year. More likely that they would have scored a FG. But even if the offense HAD scored a TD on that possession, they STILL would have fallen woefully SHORT of their potential for the game. BA still was his typically inept self when it came to making the in-game adjustments necessary to put points on the board in the second half.

Secondly, you don't even know me all that well...yet you sit there and state dogmatically that I absolutely would NOT have started a "Fire BA" thread? :roll: From now on, under the dictionary definition of "arrogance," they need to have the name "Slapstick."

Wow. Someone is a little sensitive...

At any rate, the only other thread I can find that you started about Arians was last year and was after a several bad performances by the offense...

Indeed, the one thread you started about how you doubted that Arians would do a good job vs. the Patriots, you never went back to after that game...

So, no, history says that you would not have started a "Fire BA" thread had Moore not fumbled and the Steelers scored a TD on that first drive...

I apologize if the truth somehow offends you...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Dude...I call BS on you.

Wow. Someone is a little sensitive...

At any rate, the only other thread I can find that you started about Arians was last year and was after a several bad performances by the offense...

Indeed, the one thread you started about how you doubted that Arians would do a good job vs. the Patriots, you never went back to after that game...

So, no, history says that you would not have started a "Fire BA" thread had Moore not fumbled and the Steelers scored a TD on that first drive...

I apologize if the truth somehow offends you...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What kind of logic is that? What, if I really thought BA should be fired, I'm supposed to have started a thread on the subject every week? :roll:

I have POSTED criticism of BA a NUMBER of times, including calling for his firing (go back and search my posts using keywords "Arians" or "BA"). Just because I only STARTED a THREAD on the subject twice does not negate those facts (except in the fantasy world of Slapstick).

As far as being "a little sensitive", I can remember some of your responses to posters such as Bukky back on the old TribLive board...you have little room to accuse anyone else of being "a little sensitive"! :D

Wilkinsburg
12-01-2011, 09:28 PM
What we really need is the next Jerome Bettis.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Wouldn't help with our OC, who wouldn't know how to use him!

Slapstick
12-01-2011, 09:42 PM
As far as being "a little sensitive", I can remember some of your responses to posters such as Bukky back on the old TribLive board...you have little room to accuse anyone else of being "a little sensitive"! :D

Bukky was an internet tough guy douchebag...I don't think that you are cut from that same cloth, so I at least know you that well...

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Steelers notes: Arians will pass on Ole Miss

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011

PITTSBURGH -- Bruce Arians just laughed when told that he's been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Ole Miss.

"No. Those days (are over)," said Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator. "I can't stand rookies, man, so there's no way in hell I can coach college guys."

Arians, who's been in an assistant in the NFL since 1998, does have several stints as a college coach on his resume. Among his stops in the collegiate ranks include two years as running backs coach (1981-1982) at Alabama under the legendary Bear Bryant and a six-year run as head coach at Temple (1983-88).

"It's flattering," Arians said of the Ole Miss speculation. "It's a great university and I do have friends there. It's always nice to hear your name mentioned with any head coaching job. I wish them well in their search. But no, I'm not a candidate, believe me."

While Arians has no intentions of ever coaching again on the college level, that isn't the case for two other Steeler assistants -- quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

Fichtner is considered a candidate at Ole Miss and Memphis. Fichtner had two different stints at Memphis and was the Tigers' offensive coordinator from 2001-2006.

Kirby is being mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Illinois where he played for two years (1980-1981).

"Randy would be a great college head coach whether it be Ole Miss or Memphis," Arians said. "He'd do a fantastic job as would Kirby."

Arians, 59, came to Pittsburgh in 2004 as the Steelers' wide receivers coach. He then became offensive coordinator in 2007 when Mike Tomlin was hired as head coach.

POLAMALU PRACTICES

Strong safety Troy Polamalu was back at practice Thursday. He missed Wednesday's workout as he recovered from a blow to the head in Sunday night's win in Kansas City.

The Steelers never said definitively if Polamalu had a concussion. They just said he was kept out of the game because he experienced concussion-like symptoms.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Polamalu is expected to play Sunday against the Bengals.

Before and after practice Thursday, Polamalu stayed clear of the locker room during interview sessions and wasn't available or comment.

In other injury news of note:

** Linebacker LaMarr Woodley took another step toward playing for the first time since Oct. 30 by practicing again for the second straight day.

"I'm still day-to-day, but I'm getting better every day," said Woodley, who's been out with a hamstring pull.

Woodley leads the Steelers with nine sacks.

** Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was limited at Thursday's practice after banging his broken right thumb.

"He got a little sting on it, nothing major," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "So we just iced it down."

** Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) also missed practice.

POTENTIAL PRO BOWLERS

Two Steelers are among the top 10 in the NFL fans' portion of the Pro Bowl vote. Wide receiver Mike Wallace is No. 8 (575,821). Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is ninth (565,378).

Wallace is second among AFC wideouts behind New England's Wes Welker. Roethlisberger is second among AFC QBs behind Tom Brady.

Two Steelers have received the most votes at their positions on the AFC portion of the ballot - center Maurkice Pouncey (228,297) and strong safety Troy Polamalu (146,989).

Pro Bowl voting will continue online and on web-enabled mobile phones by going to NFL.com/probowl through Dec. 19.

The AFC and NFC all-star squads are determined by a consensus vote of fans, players and coaches. Each group's vote counts one-third toward determining the 43-man rosters for each conference.

NFL players and coaches will cast their votes on Dec. 21-22.

The teams will be announced on Dec. 27.

This year's Pro Bowl will be played on Jan. 29 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... mode=print (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-notes-arians-will-pass-on-ole-miss/article_2db7b170-1cea-11e1-a03f-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=print)

BradshawsHairdresser
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Steelers notes: Arians will pass on Ole Miss

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011

PITTSBURGH -- Bruce Arians just laughed when told that he's been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Ole Miss.

"No. Those days (are over)," said Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator. "I can't stand rookies, man, so there's no way in hell I can coach college guys."

Arians, who's been in an assistant in the NFL since 1998, does have several stints as a college coach on his resume. Among his stops in the collegiate ranks include two years as running backs coach (1981-1982) at Alabama under the legendary Bear Bryant and a six-year run as head coach at Temple (1983-88).

"It's flattering," Arians said of the Ole Miss speculation. "It's a great university and I do have friends there. It's always nice to hear your name mentioned with any head coaching job. I wish them well in their search. But no, I'm not a candidate, believe me."

While Arians has no intentions of ever coaching again on the college level, that isn't the case for two other Steeler assistants -- quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

Fichtner is considered a candidate at Ole Miss and Memphis. Fichtner had two different stints at Memphis and was the Tigers' offensive coordinator from 2001-2006.

Kirby is being mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Illinois where he played for two years (1980-1981).

"Randy would be a great college head coach whether it be Ole Miss or Memphis," Arians said. "He'd do a fantastic job as would Kirby."

Arians, 59, came to Pittsburgh in 2004 as the Steelers' wide receivers coach. He then became offensive coordinator in 2007 when Mike Tomlin was hired as head coach.

POLAMALU PRACTICES

Strong safety Troy Polamalu was back at practice Thursday. He missed Wednesday's workout as he recovered from a blow to the head in Sunday night's win in Kansas City.

The Steelers never said definitively if Polamalu had a concussion. They just said he was kept out of the game because he experienced concussion-like symptoms.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Polamalu is expected to play Sunday against the Bengals.

Before and after practice Thursday, Polamalu stayed clear of the locker room during interview sessions and wasn't available or comment.

In other injury news of note:

** Linebacker LaMarr Woodley took another step toward playing for the first time since Oct. 30 by practicing again for the second straight day.

"I'm still day-to-day, but I'm getting better every day," said Woodley, who's been out with a hamstring pull.

Woodley leads the Steelers with nine sacks.

** Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was limited at Thursday's practice after banging his broken right thumb.

"He got a little sting on it, nothing major," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "So we just iced it down."

** Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) also missed practice.

POTENTIAL PRO BOWLERS

Two Steelers are among the top 10 in the NFL fans' portion of the Pro Bowl vote. Wide receiver Mike Wallace is No. 8 (575,821). Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is ninth (565,378).

Wallace is second among AFC wideouts behind New England's Wes Welker. Roethlisberger is second among AFC QBs behind Tom Brady.

Two Steelers have received the most votes at their positions on the AFC portion of the ballot - center Maurkice Pouncey (228,297) and strong safety Troy Polamalu (146,989).

Pro Bowl voting will continue online and on web-enabled mobile phones by going to NFL.com/probowl through Dec. 19.

The AFC and NFC all-star squads are determined by a consensus vote of fans, players and coaches. Each group's vote counts one-third toward determining the 43-man rosters for each conference.

NFL players and coaches will cast their votes on Dec. 21-22.

The teams will be announced on Dec. 27.

This year's Pro Bowl will be played on Jan. 29 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... mode=print (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-notes-arians-will-pass-on-ole-miss/article_2db7b170-1cea-11e1-a03f-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=print)

When was the last time the Steelers had more offensive than defensive players voted in to the Pro Bowl?

SteelTorch
12-03-2011, 03:28 PM
No.

We need a new OC and a better O-line (as has been said a million times already). That's all there is to it. But for some reason, the front office has made practically zero effort to fix it.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2011, 06:39 PM
When was the last time the Steelers had more offensive than defensive players voted in to the Pro Bowl?

OG Alan Faneca
C Jeff Hartings
OT Marvel Smith
WR Hines Ward

ILB James Farrior
OLB Joey Porter
DE Aaron Smith

Although we have had an equal number of offensive & defense players a couple of times since then.

OG Alan Faneca
RB Willie Parker

NT Casey Hampton
SS Troy Polamalu

OG Alan Faneca
RB Willie Parker
QB Ben Roethlisberger

NT Casey Hampton
OL James Harrison
SS Troy Polamalu

SteelTorch
12-03-2011, 08:28 PM

OG Alan Faneca
C Jeff Hartings
OT Marvel Smith
WR Hines Ward

ILB James Farrior
OLB Joey Porter
DE Aaron Smith

Although we have had an equal number of offensive & defense players a couple of times since then.

OG Alan Faneca
RB Willie Parker

NT Casey Hampton
SS Troy Polamalu

OG Alan Faneca
RB Willie Parker
QB Ben Roethlisberger

NT Casey Hampton
OL James Harrison
SS Troy Polamalu
We also had a good offense in 2005. Plus, Alan Faneca was not Pro-Bowl worthy after 2006. He got in on name alone.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2011, 01:52 PM

No.

We need a new OC and a better O-line

$$$$