PDA

View Full Version : Waste of money?

aggiebones
11-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I've always thought RB was by far the easiest position to fill these days. You must have a good OL and they command money to complete. Gotta be able to run block, but pass blocking is peaking more these days in importance. So you can't just get road graders these days.

But while watching NFL network, they showed the backs making around $500K.
AFoster, McCoy, Murray and Forte....4 of the top 5-7 backs right now.

Are we really about to dump piles of money on Mendenhall? He has earned a payday and is talented, but would it be better to move on?

And Forte, McCoy and Foster will likely get huge paydays this year too.

7 UP
11-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Im not so sure Mendenhall cashes in. At least not here.

SteelCrazy
11-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Mendy should not get anymore then 2 mil per and a 2 mil signing bonus. In reality, I would just let him walk and keep Redman who's proven to be a harder runner between the tackles.

steelz09
11-26-2011, 01:14 PM
if mendenhall wants big money then he can get it somewhere else. He's not worth the money even if we had a good line.

RuthlessBurgher
11-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Players on offense who are currently more valuable to our team than Mendenhall (in terms of what we would lose if a guy went down and needed to be replaced by his backup):

Ben, Heath, Wallace, Brown, Pouncey, Starks.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Mendy walks, Dwyer starts, Redman short yardage, Batch 3rd down/passing back. Draft amid to late round back.

RuthlessBurgher
11-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Mendy walks, Dwyer starts, Redman short yardage, Batch 3rd down/passing back. Draft amid to late round back.

Mendenhall is signed through next season ($650,000 base salary). This is all about whether we extend him for 2013 and beyond when we will also have to worry about extending Wallace, Brown, Starks, and others.

winwithd
11-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd start Batch over Dwyer. Dwyer doesn't have enough power OR speed to start, IMO.

SidSmythe
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
a few years back we were talking Gary Russell, blah blah blah

Who knows who the next Johnny Come Lately at RB will be ... but this I know, between now and next September we could have someone at RB we never dreamed of being the man

Chavezz
11-26-2011, 11:13 PM
He can go.

I haven't been a fan of his since we've brought him on board. Too indecisive, tap dances too much and way too inconsistent. I do have to admit that our line doesn't help him out but that just really points out his flaws even further.

Gimmie a 3rd rd RB and we'll be fine.

aggiebones
11-26-2011, 11:37 PM

You are joking, right?
Dwyer could start for 2 plays, then need 5 minutes recovering. He can handle 1-2 plays per quarter without rolling into the fetal position behind the center.
Let's not be crazy.

7 UP
11-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I'd start Batch over Dwyer. Dwyer doesn't have enough power OR speed to start, IMO.

You would start Batch??? Based of what, the handful of practices he had before he got hurt???

Oviedo
11-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Suggesting that we are as good if Dwyer starts is as ridiculous as suggesting that Redman starts. Mendenhall is superior to both of them.

You won't have to break the bank to keep Mendenhall.

Shoe
11-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Suggesting that we are as good if Dwyer starts is as ridiculous as suggesting that Redman starts. Mendenhall is superior to both of them.

I agree on Dwyer, but you are overstating your comment a bit with Redman, even though I agree with the premise. True, a lot of us have borderline man-crushes on Redman, but realistically the coaches think Mendy is the clear choice for a reason. I don't doubt that.

But for the price, Redman IMO gives comparable value to Mendenhall's superior skills combined with his salary. And Redman has room to grow too.

Dwyer is a ham & egger. He is a classic underachiever, who will be sitting on a barstool when he is 40, telling anyone who wants to listen how great he could've been if this, that, or the other would've given him a chance... while not realizing his shortcomings (preparation, toughness) in the current moment.

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I agree on Dwyer, but you are overstating your comment a bit with Redman, even though I agree with the premise. True, a lot of us have borderline man-crushes on Redman, but realistically the coaches think Mendy is the clear choice for a reason. I don't doubt that.

But for the price, Redman IMO gives comparable value to Mendenhall's superior skills combined with his salary. And Redman has room to grow too.

Dwyer is a ham & egger. He is a classic underachiever, who will be sitting on a barstool when he is 40, telling anyone who wants to listen how great he could've been if this, that, or the other would've given him a chance... while not realizing his shortcomings (preparation, toughness) in the current moment.

Are you saying you don't think Jonathan Dwyer can throw a ball over them mountains?

http://rossvross.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/border-rico.jpg?w=405&h=243

WindyCitySteel
11-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Few running backs are worth big money. Mendy is not one of them. He can and should be easily replaced.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Mendenhall is signed through next season ($650,000 base salary). This is all about whether we extend him for 2013 and beyond when we will also have to worry about extending Wallace, Brown, Starks, and others.

Yes, I am aware. They should not re-sign him unless it is for a very team friendly deal. I do not think he will be sorely missed at all.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2011, 01:24 PM

You are joking, right?
Dwyer could start for 2 plays, then need 5 minutes recovering. He can handle 1-2 plays per quarter without rolling into the fetal position behind the center.
Let's not be crazy.

Dwyer has one of our two 100yd games this season, in one start. Mendenhall has the other, in 9 starts. Why so crazy to think he could handle the starting duties instead of wasting money on the tap dance kid? Keep in mind the running game should be nothing more than a compliment to our passing game. The Patriots are first in total offense and have nobodies at RB.

williar
11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Mendenhall wouldn't get a new contract from me. He'd be lucky if he wasn't cut next season. I hate the way this guy runs. Just like Willie Parker. No power, no moves, just dances around until someone puts a hand on him, and always sticking that ball out like a loaf of bread.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3ehqe8pj]Mendy walks, Dwyer starts, Redman short yardage, Batch 3rd down/passing back. Draft amid to late round back.

You are joking, right?
Let's not be crazy.

Dwyer has one of our two 100yd games this season, in one start. Mendenhall has the other, in 9 starts. Why so crazy to think he could handle the starting duties instead of wasting money on the tap dance kid? Keep in mind the running game should be nothing more than a compliment to our passing game. The Patriots are first in total offense and have nobodies at RB.[/quote:3ehqe8pj]

Dwyer got 3/4 of the way to the century mark on his first carry with the biggest hole our OL has opened in the last several years. He was completely untouched (until he was caught from behind). You can't judge Dwyer on that game.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":27oi6zeh]Mendy walks, Dwyer starts, Redman short yardage, Batch 3rd down/passing back. Draft amid to late round back.

You are joking, right?
Let's not be crazy.

Dwyer has one of our two 100yd games this season, in one start. Mendenhall has the other, in 9 starts. Why so crazy to think he could handle the starting duties instead of wasting money on the tap dance kid? Keep in mind the running game should be nothing more than a compliment to our passing game. The Patriots are first in total offense and have nobodies at RB.

Dwyer got 3/4 of the way to the century mark on his first carry with the biggest hole our OL has opened in the last several years. He was completely untouched (until he was caught from behind). You can't judge Dwyer on that game.[/quote:27oi6zeh]

What are you judging him off of saying I must be crazy thinking he can start in the NFL?

EDIT: sorry, that wasn't you, that was aggiebones....