PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Gotta Score TDs

flippy
11-25-2011, 11:20 PM
In addition to protecting the ball, Ben's biggest priority down the stretch has to be scoring TDs.

Our offense is a bit offensive.

Look at some teams that have outscored us thus far this season:

Carolina, Philadelphia, San Diego, Buffalo, Cincy, Jets

Our offense performs as well as:

Miami, Minnesota, and Denver

We're bottom of the barrel. So anyone that wants to say BA and Ben are doing great this year are simply off their rocker.

Big Ben's playing somewhere between Cam Newton and Tim Tebow in terms of how well he's leading his offense to being productive.

The way this offense is performing, we might as well have Kordell and Ray Sherman running the show again. I suspect this season will rank right up there with our 1998 or 1999 season - the year Kordell was permanently damaged by our OC.

We've got too much talent for this mess to continue.

Coach Tomlin has been benching vets all season long and I give him a lot of credit for adapting in tough situations.

But his biggest benching might be in front of him. Benching his OC and letting this offense fly.

We've only got a few weeks left to get this O turned around.

It's time for Ben to start putting the ball in the End Zone.

When I really look at this team, I'm having a hard time understanding how the heck we're 7-3 at this point?????

We should be 4-6 or 5-5.

But at the same time, we have the talent to be 10-0. But we're simply under performing.

Maybe a little can be pinned on a combo of the offseason, injuries, age, and a hangover after being in the SuperBowl.

And Tomlin seems to be trying everything to work in new players.

Might be time to work in some new coaches.

BA and DL aren't Tomlin's guys. Might be time for the Rooney's to give Mikey some more control over his coaches.

aggiebones
11-26-2011, 08:41 AM
"We should be 4-6 or 5-5.

But at the same time, we have the talent to be 10-0. But we're simply under performing."

These are stretches of grand proportions.
We do NOT have the talent to be 10-0. Sorry, the OL, DB, ILB, among other things, says no. Coaches included.

Nor do we have the talent to be 4-6. Why, because heart is part of talent. And while a few guys do not possess peak abilities now or never, they have intangibles that not only prevent total season collapses like other teams suffer, but also win come playoff time...all the way through.

This team is VERY similar to the team that won the SB a few years ago. And got there last year. A few passes late by Ben and we win last season. Not blaming Ben, but it was in our grasp late...with this team.

And we'll be in it right to the end this year.

Scarletfire1970
11-26-2011, 09:32 AM
I think the biggest issue is our inability to run the ball effectively. I am not sure why we can't do that.

SteelCrazy
11-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Steelers are 19th in scoring O with 22 points/game
Steelers are 4th in scoring Defense with 18 points/game

Again, its always going to be defense that makes us winners. I'm not sure who's been screaming good job BA and Ben, but all they have done is not mess up what the D is doing.

Really, all we have done on Offense is taken from the run game and given to the passing game.

When our D starts to falter that is when we'll become the Browns.

LONG LIVE DICK LEBEAU!!!

RuthlessBurgher
11-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Getting turnovers on defense helps score points (either directly, by returning an interception or a fumble for a TD, or by giving the offense excellent field position to score). Eleven teams have more than twenty takeaways this season. We have six.

chiken
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I dont think we have seen what this offense is capable of just yet for a number if reasons.

1. We started the season with an offensive line that was in shambles.. how many games did we play before We re-signed Starks?

2. We are all geeked up over the 3 awesome talented young fast receivers we have but we have yet to have all 3 of those receivers healthy and in the game together consistently.. The Crotch Rocket has just gotten healthy enough to contribute which Benches Hines who has been a dead man playing for the entire year.. Sanders has been playing on a gimpy Knee that they might have finally gotten worked out.

3) We have no Running game still that's mainly why we suck in the red zone. Ben is not throwing a ton of Redzone picks.

4) I don't have a number on this but I would imagine the top offenses have more possessions than we do in a game (on average). We simply don't get the ball to our offense enough to get into the kind of rhythmic that high powered offenses get into. Our Defense doesn't really get us the ball back and to add to that they give up way more long drives than I can remember in the past.

I do feel that by the end of the year with Health on the O-line (good bye Kemo) and the Defense coming around with Wood and Silver back finally playing together (and Timmons back in his right spot) we will see more offensive possessions which should lead the offense getting going -

Its always been a Team thing with the Steelers, one hand feeding of the other. They are close.

RuthlessBurgher
11-26-2011, 01:01 PM
The Crotch Rocket has just gotten healthy enough to contribute

I think our QB should avoid Crotch Rockets...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/06/13/sports/13ben600.jpg

feltdizz
11-26-2011, 11:28 PM
The run game sucks because Mendenhall sucks this year.

The D has to get some TO's and give us some short fields. 6 TO's is horrible.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2011, 12:18 AM
The D has to get some TO's and give us some short fields. 6 TO's is horrible.

the Green Bay Packers lead the league with 22 interceptions, we are dead last in the NFL with only four...

Steelhere10
11-28-2011, 12:20 AM
3 to by the D and the offense is still pathetic. Ben and Bruce are a terrible match.

grotonsteel
11-28-2011, 12:33 AM
3 to by the D and the offense is still pathetic. Ben and Bruce are a terrible match.

I would not put entire blame on BA and Ben.

Moore fumble in red zone. Holding calls on O-line and dropped passes. I can think of atleast 5 dropped passes.Wallace dropped an easy one in Red zone.

Entire Offense looked bad.

DukieBoy
11-28-2011, 12:40 AM
The Red Zone seems to be our Bermuda Triangle. I suspect we score more TD's from outside the RZ than we do from inside the RZ.

NJ-STEELER
11-28-2011, 01:10 AM
The Red Zone seems to be our Bermuda Triangle. I suspect we score more TD's from outside the RZ than we do from inside the RZ.

a couple of reasons may be cause our running game isnt all that great and one of the offenses best weapons (wallace's speed) is negated with a short field

hawaiiansteel
11-30-2011, 01:40 AM
Steelers offense out of sync despite victory

Tuesday, November 29, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201111/90c00no8_330.jpg

Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers breaks up a pass intended for Steelers receiver Antonio Brown in the second half Sunday in Kansas City, Mo.

That Steelers passing offense that was peaking in time for the stretch run hit some turbulence Sunday in Kansas City that hinted it may not be quite ready for prime time.

The cohesion quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was building all season with his young receivers seemed to evaporate overnight at Arrowhead Stadium. Dropped passes, overthrows, indecisiveness and general disarray somehow coagulated into a 13-9 victory that happened only because the Chiefs offense proved to be much worse.

"You're happy to get the win, but also disappointed with how the offense played," said Roethlisberger, whose streak of 200-yard passing games ended at 18 when he threw for 193 yards.

Roethlisberger played his first full game with a right thumb that was broken two weeks earlier. The quality of his passes did not seem to suffer, but he had trouble finding open receivers.

Mike Wallace, who was on pace to set a Steelers receiving record, caught just two of the six thrown his way for 17 yards. Checkdown throws were the order of the day. Eight of the nine players who caught passes gained 25 yards or less. The one bright spot: Antonio Brown again led the team with 81 yards on four receptions.

"It was one of those nights," said Wallace, who has 209 yards receiving in the past four games, off a sizzling start that had him on pace for close to 2,000 yards. "I've been getting open, we just haven't connected for some reason. We'll get it right. We still have five more weeks to get it right. We got the win, that's the most important thing; that's the only thing really that matters."

The passing game looked disjointed against the Chiefs and perhaps all that shuffling of personnel at receiver had something to do with it. In Cincinnati, coach Mike Tomlin made what should have been a difficult choice of pulling out of the lineup the franchise's most productive wide receiver and making him No. 4 behind Wallace, Brown and Jerricho Cotchery.

Two weeks later -- after much debate by the public and many questions put to Ward -- Ward started in Kansas City, played much more than Cotchery and tied Brown with four receptions, although for only 21 yards.

Emmanuel Sanders rejoined the group after missing two games with a knee injury. Cotchery hardly played, had one pass thrown his way and no catches. Many different pairings were used against the Chiefs when the Steelers deployed two, three or four wide receivers. The constant was Brown, who has 276 yards in the past three games, 343 in the past four. Brown has 707 yards on 48 catches and is fast gaining on Wallace, who has 939 yards on 55 receptions.

How does Roethlisberger build rapport by pulling receivers this way and that when injuries do not prompt them?

"I've been saying that we've been steadily improving every week," Roethlisberger said. "I think we had our first setback. I don't think it's anything to panic over. It's one game against a good defense in a hostile environment. We'll go back and look at it and evaluate it and get better. I honestly believe we will."

Mundy shines vs. Chiefs

Ryan Mundy has been a backup safety with the Steelers since they drafted him in the sixth round in 2008 and he made their roster in '09. He has played in 43 games and started two. He played his best Sunday night.

Mundy replaced Troy Polamalu, who left the game for good on the first series with more "concussion-like symptoms." Mundy went on to unofficially lead the Steelers with 10 tackles and had one pass defense and his first NFL interception. He also added a tackle on special teams.

"The game Ryan was able to come in and play was amazing -- a ton of tackles, an interception," said free safety Ryan Clark. "So we didn't miss a beat there. We gave up nine points and I think we played well as a defense."

The Steelers had no update Monday on Polamalu's condition.

"I don't know at this juncture if it was a concussion," Tomlin said after Sunday's game. "I want to be clear there."

Woodley close to returning

LaMarr Woodley, who was leading the AFC with nine sacks at the midway point of the season, missed his third consecutive game for the first time in his career, but might be ready to resume playing Sunday against Cincinnati at Heinz Field.

Woodley has a hamstring injury.

"He has run a little bit all of these days but he wasn't well enough to play," Tomlin said in Kansas City. "It was the final decision that we came to, we'll go through the same process again next week. Obviously he's getting close."

Jason Worilds made his third start in Woodley's absence at outside linebacker and came up with his first NFL sack, the only one by the defense against the Chiefs.

"I thought Jason did a good job," Woodley said. "He got held a lot and didn't get the calls, not that that's anything unusual."

Woodley ran before the game in Kansas City and said, "I was running pretty good. I'm taking it one day at a time."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11333/11 ... z1fA0lk7sv (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11333/1193295-66-0.stm#ixzz1fA0lk7sv)

rockonsteel
11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I dont think we have seen what this offense is capable of just yet for a number if reasons.

1. We started the season with an offensive line that was in shambles.. how many games did we play before We re-signed Starks?

2. We are all geeked up over the 3 awesome talented young fast receivers we have but we have yet to have all 3 of those receivers healthy and in the game together consistently.. The Crotch Rocket has just gotten healthy enough to contribute which Benches Hines who has been a dead man playing for the entire year.. Sanders has been playing on a gimpy Knee that they might have finally gotten worked out.

3) We have no Running game still that's mainly why we suck in the red zone. Ben is not throwing a ton of Redzone picks.

4) I don't have a number on this but I would imagine the top offenses have more possessions than we do in a game (on average). We simply don't get the ball to our offense enough to get into the kind of rhythmic that high powered offenses get into. Our Defense doesn't really get us the ball back and to add to that they give up way more long drives than I can remember in the past.

I do feel that by the end of the year with Health on the O-line (good bye Kemo) and the Defense coming around with Wood and Silver back finally playing together (and Timmons back in his right spot) we will see more offensive possessions which should lead the offense getting going -

Its always been a Team thing with the Steelers, one hand feeding of the other. They are close.

That's a lot of excuses. More offensive possessions will only mean more opportunities for 3 and outs, turnovers and really scary fg tries from the Swiss guy. TDs seem to beThis team needs somebody other than the village idiot in charge of this offense. As long as BA is the OC, we'll continue to be left wanting more from this offense. He has no clue how to maixmize the talent on this offense.

Rockon

feltdizz
11-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Moore fumble in red zone. Holding calls on O-line and dropped passes. I can think of atleast 5 dropped passes.Wallace dropped an easy one in Red zone.

it was actually 4 TO's... once again we are hearing stories about how our offense will be fine and everything is going OK.

We will see but it's not like this is the first time we have seen our O look like azzz while making a run at a SB.

style points don't win games...

ikestops85
11-30-2011, 01:54 PM

it was actually 4 TO's... once again we are hearing stories about how our offense will be fine and everything is going OK.

We will see but it's not like this is the first time we have seen our O look like azzz while making a run at a SB.

style points don't win games...

I keep waiting for us to develop some consistency but it never seems to happen. We play well for a couple of series in each game on offense but the rest of the time we seem to make some stupid mistake. A sack here, a holding penalty there, here a dropped pass, there a missed block, a punting we will go.

NorthCoast
11-30-2011, 08:22 PM
"We should be 4-6 or 5-5.

But at the same time, we have the talent to be 10-0. But we're simply under performing."

These are stretches of grand proportions.
We do NOT have the talent to be 10-0. Sorry, the OL, DB, ILB, among other things, says no. Coaches included.

Nor do we have the talent to be 4-6. Why, because heart is part of talent. And while a few guys do not possess peak abilities now or never, they have intangibles that not only prevent total season collapses like other teams suffer, but also win come playoff time...all the way through.

This team is VERY similar to the team that won the SB a few years ago. And got there last year. A few passes late by Ben and we win last season. Not blaming Ben, but it was in our grasp late...with this team.

And we'll be in it right to the end this year.

I am afraid the No.1 'heart' on this team is at the end of his career... and what a career it has been. Question is, who will be replacing his heart? Nowadays it seems it is all about the quan, not the love of the game. I will sorely miss Hines' heart on this team.
The difference between the last SB team and this one??... the team had a unified goal of getting Bettis to the Superbowl to end his career. I don't see such an overarching goal for this team.

SteelCrazy
12-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Ben Roethlisberger Bangs Injured Thumb In Thursday Practice

With the AFC playoff picture as tight as it is, each and every week is important, but the magnitude of Pittsburgh Steelers’ Week 13 home showdown with the Cincinnati Bengals can’t be overstated. That’s why it was disconcerting to learn that Ben Roethlisberger banged his injured thumb on a snap during Thursday’s practice. He did not complete the remainder of the practice. According to Gerry Dulac, however, Roethlisberger says he’ll be just fine and ready to play come Sunday afternoon.

Roethlisberger broke the thumb on his right throwing hand during the Steelers’ Week 10 win over the Bengals. Last Sunday night, the indestructible QB completed 21-of-31 passes for 193 yards, one touchdown and one interception. In Pittsburgh’s previous matchup with Cincinnati, a 24-17 win, Roethlisberger was 21-of-33 for 253 yards and one touchdown.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... ice-report (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/12/1/2603892/steelers-vs-bengals-ben-roethlisberger-bangs-injured-thumb-thursday-practice-report)

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Ben Roethlisberger Bangs Injured Thumb In Thursday Practice

With the AFC playoff picture as tight as it is, each and every week is important, but the magnitude of Pittsburgh Steelers’ Week 13 home showdown with the Cincinnati Bengals can’t be overstated. That’s why it was disconcerting to learn that Ben Roethlisberger banged his injured thumb on a snap during Thursday’s practice. He did not complete the remainder of the practice. According to Gerry Dulac, however, Roethlisberger says he’ll be just fine and ready to play come Sunday afternoon.

Roethlisberger broke the thumb on his right throwing hand during the Steelers’ Week 10 win over the Bengals. Last Sunday night, the indestructible QB completed 21-of-31 passes for 193 yards, one touchdown and one interception. In Pittsburgh’s previous matchup with Cincinnati, a 24-17 win, Roethlisberger was 21-of-33 for 253 yards and one touchdown.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... ice-report (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/12/1/2603892/steelers-vs-bengals-ben-roethlisberger-bangs-injured-thumb-thursday-practice-report)

You never know. Hope they're giving Charlie enough reps to be ready just in case.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2011, 06:02 PM
The difference between the last SB team and this one??... the team had a unified goal of getting Bettis to the Superbowl to end his career. I don't see such an overarching goal for this team.

The last SB team had a unified goal of getting Bettis to the Superbowl to end his career? We've been to 2 more Super Bowls since then without any particular overarching goal for the team (they tried to manufacture something last time with sending Flozell Adams back to Dallas, but it didn't have quite the same impact as riding the Bus to Detroit). :?

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Bengals' Lewis: Roethlisberger playing at MVP-type level

Dec. 2, 2011
Written by Kevin Goheen

http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20111201&Category=SPT02&ArtNo=312010225&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Bengals-Lewis-Roethlisberger-playing-MVP-type-level

Robert Geathers (left), Michael Johnson and the Bengals hope to get to Ben Roethlisberger repeatedly on Sunday in Pittsburgh.

The Bengals sacked Ben Roethlisberger five times the last time the teams played three weeks ago. They could have used a couple of more.

While the Bengals got consistent pressure on the Pittsburgh quarterback throughout the game, Roethlisberger escaped enough times and extended enough plays with his feet before finishing them off with his arm to help the Steelers pull out a 24-17 win on Nov. 13 at Paul Brown Stadium.

That’s the Roethlisberger Bengals’ head coach Marvin Lewis has said is playing at an MVP-type level. That’s the Roethlisberger the Bengals (7-4) are going to have to contain if they are to beat the Steelers (8-3) at Heinz Field Sunday.

Roethlisberger has completed 245-of-385 passes for 3,070 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season and is on pace to better his own franchise records for attempts and yards in a season while adding the single-season completion mark to his resume.

It’s not those raw statistics that gains Lewis’ attention, however.

“He is totally the catalyst of their offense and their football team,” said Lewis. “He makes (Kansas City linebacker) Derrick Johnson miss in the pocket last week and throws a perfect pass to a very well-covered tight end. He extends the play enough that the tight end was able to come open late, and he makes a perfect pass where only one guy can catch it. Those are things that maybe go unnoticed at times but are truly fine football plays.”

Roethlisberger has long been one of the NFL’s elite quarterbacks. He’s led the Steelers to two Super Bowl championships and a runner-up finish last season but at this time last year he was rehabilitating a reputation of being an immature, spoiled star athlete.

He was involved in a motorcycle accident in 2006 that resulted in a broken jaw and nose when he wasn’t wearing a helmet. Twice in his career he has been accused of sexual misconduct, although on neither occasion were charges brought against him. The NFL did suspend him for the first four games of last season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

He was married this past offseason. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said too much is made of Roethlisberger’s personal life being a factor in his on-field performance but the fact is the only topic of discussion on Roethlisberger this year is his play.

“You watch the first game and it came down to three or four plays; that was the difference,” said Phil Simms, who will be the analyst for Sunday’s game for CBS. “It’s not all about his scrambling. The thing that goes unnoticed is how he can hang in there and his ability to change speeds on his throws. There were a couple of throws he really fired in there in the first game. He definitely is one of the top five quarterbacks in the league.”

Statistically he’s in the top 10 of most passing categories, including having the third-highest passer rating (107.7) on third downs. Even though he has been sacked 32 times this season – second most in the NFL – his scrambling abilities have proven valuable at those moments.

“(I’m trying) Not to get killed,” said Roethlisberger about his frequent trips out of the pocket. “It’s not planned. I’d much rather not do it but if I can extend a play because it’s so hard for defenders to cover guys during the course of the regular couple of seconds of a play let alone when you extend a play. It’s just really hard to do it. So many times our big plays come from that but it’s never an intended thing.”

The Steelers are throwing the ball on 60 percent of their play calls this season; they threw it 53 percent of the time last season. It is the highest percentage of passing plays the Steelers have called since Roethlisberger became the starter two games into his rookie season of 2004.

Only in 2009 have the Steelers been close to this pass-heavy of an offense; they threw the ball 58 percent of the time that season but finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Normally when they have strayed this far away from their traditional running game they have drawn the ire of fans. That hasn’t been the case this season.

“I think people are talking enough in talk radio and the media and the fans and they’re excited about the young receivers and the big-play potential,” said Roethlisberger. “They obviously still want us to be physical and still do those things but, I don’t know. You haven’t heard it nearly as much this year. It’s kind of refreshing, offensively.”

The Bengals game plan won’t change much from the first game. Getting to and bringing down Roethlisberger is a high priority.

“We got him five times but now we need to get him seven times,” said defensive end Frostee Rucker. “You know you have to play consistent against a team like this because they make their plays but you’ve got to put the fire out.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 312010225/ (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20111201/SPT02/312010225/)