PDA

View Full Version : How Should Steelers Spend Money on Players?

flippy
11-25-2011, 09:55 AM
I read a lot of different posts where some suggest we need better CBs, better OGs, better OTs, better ILBs and pass rushers, better RBs, better FS, etc, etc.

But given the salary cap, you've gotta cut corners at some positions to be better in other positions.

I get the fan's desire to have the best player at every position, but this is simply no possible.

So my question is which positions should we pay for at the expense of what other positions?

Do we get better on the Oline at the expense of our WRs or vice versa?

Or do we spend more on upgrading our FS and DBs at the expense of every offensive player not named Ben?

Do we spend more to upgrade the pass rush or DBs that can cover to help the existing pass rush?

Are their position we need to upgrade that we should just forget about because they won't help us win a SuperBowl?

So when we look at the draft next year, is an OG going to be the difference in winning the SuperBowl? Is FS?

And do we now have a lot of guys not playing up to their salary cap that should be a casualty at the end of this season? And are retooling some of these positions more important than upgrading our obvious weaknesses?

NorthCoast
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I think it is pretty clear how the game has changed. A strong defense used to be a pretty good formula for a winning season. Look at the strong defensive teams this season. Every one of them seems to struggle to get a win each week.
On the other hand, strong offenses are leading to more consistent winning now. So we need to continue spending on offense and I would put my money on OL upgrades pretty much across the board, other than center. Another beastly TE in the mold of Miller would also help. And, I know it will never happen under BA's reign, a true blocking fullback would be a plus too.

TallyStiller
11-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Chris Kemo... Buh Bye. Casey Hampton... Nice knowing you. Bryant McFadden... Time to get on with your life's work. Aaron Smith... all due respect (and that is a TON of it), your time has passed.

I think you build around what you have, in terms of talent. The only thing you absolutely must have to win in today's NFL is a quarterback. Outside of that, take advantage of what you have. If this question was posed to me two years ago, I'd've said no way do you pay a WR. Period. But Mike Wallace is not only a game breaker, he's also a hard worker, a student of the game, and a great building block for your team at a position where most guys with talent are team destroying prima donnas. Pay him.

Woodley got paid even though James Harrison already had a big OLB deal because he has a unique set of physical tools... excellent speed for a guy that stout. Timmons, same deal. So now we have expensive LB's.

I don't think there's a magic formula. I think it's just a case by case basis of finding good football players and building around them... best example of this I can think of was Don Shula. In the '70's, he had the "No Name Defense", Csonka and Morris and a smash mouth style. In the '80's and '90's, he had Dan Marino and a record setting passing attack. Either way, he won.

WindyCitySteel
11-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I think it is pretty clear how the game has changed. A strong defense used to be a pretty good formula for a winning season. Look at the strong defensive teams this season. Every one of them seems to struggle to get a win each week.
On the other hand, strong offenses are leading to more consistent winning now. So we need to continue spending on offense and I would put my money on OL upgrades pretty much across the board, other than center. Another beastly TE in the mold of Miller would also help. And, I know it will never happen under BA's reign, a true blocking fullback would be a plus too.

Careful. Green Bay's defense was instrumental in their playoff run last year. NE's defense has kept them from winning a playoff game since the 2007 season. You still need to play defense in this league.

Oviedo
11-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree that you you need a good defense to make it to the play offs but I think to win a championship you need an offense that can a shootout even more. Just the nature of how the league has evolved.

I'm not sure a GREAT defense is essential anymore because there are too many things going against them rules wise. You need a defense that can stop the hemmoraging but the way the best teams play offense now there doesn't seem to be a way you can really stop them from scoring. You need to be able to stop them from scoring TDs and force them to take FGs. IMO that means you need consistent pressure on the QB and DBs that can cover man to man in the red zone. Zone cover CBs (William Gay) and Safeties that can't cover (see Ryan Clark) will not win the Super Bowl.

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Keep drafting the best available players at positions of need, without reaching for any particular position. Develop them over the next few years, then pay big money to those that become stars...the ones that don't you can let walk. The players themselves will dictate where that money goes (if LaMarr Woodley played like the next Alonzo Jackson while Kraig Urbik played like the next Alan Faneca, then we would have spent big money on our OL instead of LB). Utilize free agency to obtain moderately-priced role players to fill in here and there (don't pay top dollar to other teams' stars, because you never know how a guy who played in a different system for his entire career will be in your system). Then the tricky part is knowing when to let go of your aging stars. I think we see somewhat of a mass exodus of guys beyond their prime in the next year, since the team seems more willing to let young talent take on more of a major role this year.

Lonbull
11-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Flippy -

IMO - Quarterback have to be the primary use of your resources. Every so often a team will win a Super Bowl with an average QB....however I think the rules of the NFL have made the game - a Quarterbacks game. And if you want a shot at multiple Super Bowl opportunities you have to find a Quarterback that produces at a very high level. I think where a lot of teams get into trouble is when they're forced to pay for a "Starting" Quarterback that can't produce at an NFL Level.

The Dolphins, Bills, Chiefs, Raiders, Cardinals, Browns.....most teams who have struggled for sometime usually haven't been able to find an answer at QB for sometime.

Also I believe organizations that have great players, with the exception of QB - often disappoint in the post-season - because the game will eventually depend on your QB making key plays down the stretch. Brister, O'Donnell, Stewart.......these guys had Super Bowl chances and were all beaten by Hall of Fame QB's....(except Humprhies with the Chargers - but they turned around and got blown out by the 49ers anyway).

With the current Steelers I think you can cut corners at Running Back, first round running backs just don't matter as much as they did leading up to 2000.

With a "great" Quarterback - dependable WR's and a solid Offensive Line - you can get play-off production from late round RB talents.

**Of course you're screwed if your QB goes down (Houston, Indy....etc).

I believe another area the Steelers have done modestly well - is having a "Star" in the Secondary, surrounded by mediocre talent.

Rod Woodson, Troy Polamalu - (Chad Scott coming out of college was supposed to be amazing before his injury)......I think the Steelers have tried to make one area of the secondary very dangerous to throw too - and then schemed to protect the rest of the field with above average or average talent.

Ike Taylor I believe is above average.....only because of a lack of INT's. He's an amazing corner who doesn't produce turnovers -- if he did produce INT's he might be one of the best CB's in the league.

Defensive line - (for the Steelers) I believe this is an area where money must be spent. Disciplined, effective D-Linemen make all the difference in the trenches.

Linebackers on the other hand seem to be much easier to fold into the system. You can cut some corners here - drafting lower round talent year after year to fill in for lower round talent that now demands a higher contract. Or you can go to free agency and pick up solid players who haven't met their potential with other teams.

Linebackers are really where the scouting process,management process, and coaching process earn their wage(s).

Just my .02

L.B.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-25-2011, 06:51 PM
What people don't understand is we are in a VERY tight cap situation. The time to cut Farrior and Hampton was BEFORE we resigned them. Now we're a little stuck. Even if we cut certain players their dead money will count immediately against the 2012 cap.

By the start of the 2013 season, the cap will be raised and our dead money/contracts should be clear. At that point our top priority will be paying all 3 Young Money WR's and solidifying/extending our young OL. I don't think we can afford to re-sign Mendy. We are better off drafting a 2nd-4th round RB in the 2013 draft to pair with Redman. It's not so much an issue of paying huge money to the OL, it's drafting well. That gives us 5 cheap years (per player).

As for defense, we have already blown our wad (figuratively speaking). Polamalu, Taylor, Woodley, Timmons, Harrison. We have no more big money for defense. We have to fill in young bucks around them.