PDA

View Full Version : Tebow vs. Steelers

WindyCitySteel
11-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Scenario. AFC Divisional Playoff at Heinz Field, Steelers up 20-14, 2:00 to go, Tebow has the ball on his 5-yard line.

Are you confident?

Steelers>NFL
11-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Scenario. AFC Divisional Playoff at Heinz Field, Steelers up 20-14, 2:00 to go, Tebow has the ball on his 5-yard line.

Are you confident?

Right now, NO. Ask me at season's end.

steelblood
11-18-2011, 09:58 AM
With 2:00 to go? Yes. His drive last night took way more than 2 minutes. With 5:00 to go? Maybe not.

Sugar
11-18-2011, 10:23 AM
A lot of that would have to do with how long our D had been on the field. If we had controlled the clock pretty well up until then, no worries. However, if we had hit on a few big strikes and the Denver O had been wearing down our D, then not so much.

They like to keep it close with good D and a wear you down. It's no secret that Tebow looks better then last 7ish minutes of the game than he has the rest of the day. He seems to use the rules that protect QB's to his advantage. The big thing is to be fundementally sound, do your job and finish tackles.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
People had trouble with the Wildcat for the first month or two after that came en vogue. But it didn't take long for NFL defenses to squash that fad.

Tebow is this year's Wildcat. NFL teams can defend an option run game and a QB who can't pass. I wouldn't be worried about some ridiculous "Tebow magic."

Sad thing is, the Raiders, Chargers, and Chiefs are so bad that Denver may actually make the playoffs.

The Broncos won that game because Sanchez couldn't even score 14 points (and handed Denver 7 points via pick 6 in the process). Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil and Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins and company were more important to that victory than God's gift to sucky quarterbacking.

Shawn
11-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, I would be confident. And that isn't a slam on Tebow, it's confidence in our run D. Tebow probably isn't going to beat many people with his arm, and I believe we can stop any type of run.

With all of that said, I love the Tebow hooplah. It's ridiculous fun. I am rooting for the guy, and I love the fact that he really can't throw a ball but seems to get something done to win games. It's driving the critics crazy.

My hope is that Tebow hires the best offseason QB coach and works on his mechanics. I hope he eventually turns out to be the real deal.

pfelix73
11-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I like the kid. I think he has a bright future in this league and will only get better with time and maybe a few more weapons at WR.

His attitude towards the game and life in general is enlightening. Obviously, I wouldn't be pulling for him against the Steelers, but it was neat to see him beat the Jets last night...

:tt1

flippy
11-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Remember the last time we played Steve McNair when his arm was shot and he had no receivers to stretch the field?

We'd put 11 in the box against Tebow and he wouldn't have a chance.

James Harrison would have 12 sacks.

Sugar
11-18-2011, 12:25 PM
The thing is, Tebow can't pass... until he does. He seems to make key passes at critical times. The deep ball he threw last week was actually very well thrown.

Stack the box and you will shut him down for a while. However, that opens a team to being burned late after their D has kept the game close. If he had only done it once it would be a fluke. He's done it a few times now and that makes it a strategy.

feltdizz
11-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Hmmm.... watching the first half of the game it was obvious that both QB's were horrible and whoever made the least mistakes would win.

I'll give Tebow credit, he won't throw that many INT's because he rarely throws and when he does most of the passes are awful. I wouldn't fear Tebow if he was on our 5 with 2 minutes left but I would still be upset because there is no way we should only be up by 6 against that team.

Sanchez on the other hand... wow. I knew the D and run game were hiding his horruble arm but ouch... that dude looked bad.

anger 82&95
11-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Tebow’s throwing motion reminds me of the "javelin throwing" scene from Revenge of the Nerds.

SidSmythe
11-18-2011, 04:40 PM
The thing about TEBOW is he's not throwing INTS. So his decisions are good, it's just that he has very little accuracy.

The JETS have no pass rush...even when blitzing.
Tebow is weakest against the blitz.

The Steelers can blitz ... i'd blitz him from his left so he can't move to his left.

Straight Man 2 Man w/ 2 Robber/QB spies

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2011, 04:41 PM
The thing about TEBOW is he's not throwing INTS. So his decisions are good, it's just that he has very little accuracy.

The JETS have no pass rush...even when blitzing.
Tebow is weakest against the blitz.

The Steelers can blitz ... i'd blitz him from his left so he can't move to his left.

Straight Man 2 Man w/ 2 Robber/QB spies

Tebow runs left...hello Mr. Harrison!!! :o

Shoe
11-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Remember the last time we played Steve McNair when his arm was shot and he had no receivers to stretch the field?

We'd put 11 in the box against Tebow and he wouldn't have a chance.

James Harrison would have 12 sacks.

Exactly.
I don't think we could hope for a better scenario, if we got the Broncos. We are probably the worst matchup for them, besides maybe the Pats*. As I see it, the ony reason they've been close enough for Tebow to work his "magic" is that he's played against inept offenses/QBs. Mark Sanchez has outed himself as a ham & egger last night.

With our WR corps, we will score points on anyone, including them. With them falling behind, Tebow is forced to throw, meaning Harrison TEES OFF, balls up for grabs, and we romp. The only way this works out to be a close game, as I see it, is at least TWO return TDs against us (i.e. a pick 6 and KR TD).

hawaiiansteel
11-18-2011, 09:16 PM
how many months pregnant is Rob Ryan in this picture?

Rob Ryan on Tebow offense: “College football…those teams don’t win”

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 18, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/rexrob.jpg?w=207

Tim Tebow’s Broncos beat Rex Ryan’s Jets on Thursday night, but Rex’s twin brother was not impressed.

Rob Ryan, the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator, said he didn’t think highly of the Broncos’ offensive scheme, saying he simply doesn’t believe the Broncos run an NFL offense.

“I don’t like it because it’s college football,” Ryan said, via the Star-Telegram. “We’re getting a lot of two tight ends blocking for empty sets. Who would have ever thought that? This is the NFL. Those teams don’t win.”

The Tebow-led offense does look more like something you’d see on Saturdays than on Sundays, but it’s a little hard to square Ryan’s claim that “those teams don’t win” with the fact that the Broncos have won four of their last five. When a reporter pointed out to Ryan that the Broncos did, in fact, win against his brother, Ryan acknowledged that.

“Thanks for pointing that out,” Ryan said. “The guy made a hell of a play, though, didn’t he? Just a second. I’ll take a knee myself.”

Like the Broncos’ offense or not, Tebow did make a hell of a play against Rex Ryan’s defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -dont-win/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/18/rob-ryan-on-tebow-offense-its-college-football-those-teams-dont-win/)

skyhawk
11-18-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm confident.

The Steelers don't bring the house and get beat on a 20 yd TD RUN. Stupid defensive call by the Jets and most of the evening.

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2011, 06:30 PM

He's in his 64th trimester.

With octuplets.

Slapstick
11-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Tim Tebow’s Broncos beat Rex Ryan’s Jets on Thursday night, but Rex’s twin brother was not impressed.

Rob Ryan, the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator, said he didn’t think highly of the Broncos’ offensive scheme, saying he simply doesn’t believe the Broncos run an NFL offense.

“I don’t like it because it’s college football,” Ryan said, via the Star-Telegram. “We’re getting a lot of two tight ends blocking for empty sets. Who would have ever thought that? This is the NFL. Those teams don’t win.”

The Tebow-led offense does look more like something you’d see on Saturdays than on Sundays, but it’s a little hard to square Ryan’s claim that “those teams don’t win” with the fact that the Broncos have won four of their last five. When a reporter pointed out to Ryan that the Broncos did, in fact, win against his brother, Ryan acknowledged that.

“Thanks for pointing that out,” Ryan said. “The guy made a hell of a play, though, didn’t he? Just a second. I’ll take a knee myself.”

Like the Broncos’ offense or not, Tebow did make a hell of a play against Rex Ryan’s defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -dont-win/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/18/rob-ryan-on-tebow-offense-its-college-football-those-teams-dont-win/)

Hawaiian, you're article left out the best part of Rob Ryan's quote:

“It made me, uh, throw up,” Ryan said, pausing mid-sentence to make a vomiting motion. “That stuff comes into play. You get that crap. I don’t like it because it’s college football. The things you see a lot of spread. We’re getting a lot of two tight ends blocking for empty sets.

“Who would have ever thought that? This is the NFL. Those teams don’t win.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post?id=4686891

Of course, to be fair, watching Rob Ryan eat a hoagie (or Rex "eat" a foot) would probably make Tim Tebow throw up...

skyhawk
11-20-2011, 01:59 AM

Hawaiian, you're article left out the best part of Rob Ryan's quote:

“It made me, uh, throw up,” Ryan said, pausing mid-sentence to make a vomiting motion. “That stuff comes into play. You get that crap. I don’t like it because it’s college football. The things you see a lot of spread. We’re getting a lot of two tight ends blocking for empty sets.

“Who would have ever thought that? This is the NFL. Those teams don’t win.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post?id=4686891

Of course, to be fair, watching Rob Ryan eat a hoagie (or Rex "eat" a foot) would probably make Tim Tebow throw up...

“We’re getting a lot of two tight ends blocking for empty sets. Who would have ever thought that? This is the NFL. Those teams don’t win.”

Way to describe the Arians/Steelers offense.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2011, 02:55 AM
IN THE SPOTLIGHT: Tebow continuing to sway unbelievers

Sunday, November 20, 2011
By Mike Klis, The Denver Post

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201111/tebow1120_160.jpg

Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow

There is weakness in form, and there is strength under pressure.

Tim Tebow is a quarterback with pronounced flaws as his Denver Broncos fall behind, but he also has an indomitable will to prevail when it ends.

All the critics are right when they say Tebow can't pass accurately, can't read defenses all that well, can't operate a conventional offense.

And, in the end, all the critics are wrong. Tebow is magical. Tebow is a winner. Tebow is the one and only.

Just when you think he can't do it again, he does. Thursday was just such an instance. Down three and in the game's final minutes, he drove the Broncos to another stunning finish, another stunning win, 17-13, vs. the New York Jets, capping it with a 20-yard touchdown run with 58 seconds to play.

"Everybody looks at him from the outside," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "They don't see what he has on the inside. Yeah, he might not be the greatest passer. But give him a chance at the end? I've never seen anything like it."

The Broncos are 5-5 overall and just a half-game behind 5-4 Oakland, which leads the AFC West. More significant, the Broncos with Tebow as their starting quarterback are 4-1 with three consecutive victories.

Until Thursday, the Broncos might have hoped they had something with Tebow and their new read-option, spread offense. But now, they believe they have what it takes to win the division and reach the postseason for the first time since 2005.

"It's a lot easier to believe when you see results," said the Broncos' other cornerback, Andre Goodman, who made the biggest play of the game, an interception return for a touchdown in the third quarter that tied the game, 10-10. "That's the biggest [win] I've been a part of. At 1-4, it was very gloomy. Now, our confidence is huge."

Once again, Tebow appeared to be on the verge of a poor performance. After completing 1 of 8 passes in the third quarter and running two times for 11 yards in the game, Tebow and his offense were behind, 13-1,0 with less than six minutes left and the ball at their 5.

"When we were in the huddle, we talked about 'you want opportunities like this as an offense,' " Tebow said. "We haven't done anything the whole game, but we have an opportunity to do something special right now. And everybody was focused, and you could see their will taking over."

He did not say it, but this drive was about Tebow's will. He ran six times for 57 yards. He completed 3 of 5 passes for 35. He hit Eddie Royal for 8 yards to get the Broncos out from near their end zone. He hit Demaryius Thomas for 9 yards. Then, Tebow threw his best pass of the night, connecting with Dante Rosario for an 18-yard gain to get the ball to the Jets' 26.

All that talk about Tebow's passing difficulties because of physical matters. His long release. His poor footwork. Doesn't the fact he makes his best passes in do-or-die situations suggest his passing flaws are mental and he needs the highest pressure to focus?

Dissect it however you like, but there seems to be something greater here than X's and O's.

"Tebow magic," teammate Von Miller said.

"I believe in it. I feel so happy that he's having the success that he's having. I'm glad he's able to shut up his critics. It seems like everybody wants to bash him. They don't take into account his will."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11324/11 ... z1eDqZ0Bbr (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11324/1191242-66-0.stm#ixzz1eDqZ0Bbr)

Chadman
11-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Ok, credit to Tebow for defying critics as well as he does.

But at least equal, if not greater credit to John Fox. This is a coach that everyone was telling couldn't win with Tebow. Yet there he is..winning with Tebow.

I see Tebow as Kordell Stewart with better will to win. He'll likely never be a great passer of the ball, but I disagree that he can't be an NFL QB. With the right gameplan, using his talents as best as you can, and with some improvement in his technique- given time, I believe he'll be a competitive QB. He'll learn to read NFL defenses as his career goes on.

Tebow & the Broncos are proof that good coaching & gamecalling are equally as important as good football players.

actually, if anything, this article only really proves one thing- Rob Ryan needs to stop believing he's God's gift to Defensive coaching & learn to accept that every type of offense needs to be given credit. By saying that the college offense won't ever work in the NFL it only shows that he'll stick his head in the ground regardless of the results before him.

Give me John Fox every day.

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
The Ryans are unable to keep their mouths shut...and it doesn't matter if its a microphone or a huge plate of food in front of their faces.

feltdizz
11-20-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't see how John Fox or Elway get any credit for the Tebow phenom. Both of them didn't even want to play Tebow. The fans are the ones who damn near put on a riot to get Tebow playing time.

I'll give them credit for limiting Tebows pass attempts but that's it. While Tebow has led his team to some awesome 4th quarter wins I still have a hard time believing this kid is legit.

He isn't even Kordell Stewart good right now. The guy is putting up 1-8 pass attempts in a half. 3 drives started on the Jets side of the field and they all ended in punts.

Vaughn Miller, or whatever his name is at LB is the real hero on that team. Tebow is a nice story but the D is doing a great job of hiding some horrible QB play.

That being said, I wouldn't bet against Tebow if its a one possession game and he has the ball. The kid is a winner and a great football player. He is more of a RB who occassionally throws the football.

DukieBoy
11-20-2011, 08:23 PM

With octuplets.

Hope his brother never gave him footrubs.
Keep your shoes on around your bro, Rob, especially if you can't watch your feet.

RuthlessBurgher
11-21-2011, 02:29 PM

With octuplets.

Hope his brother never gave him footrubs.
Keep your shoes on around your, Rob, especially if you can't watch your feet.

:lol:

That must explain the Ryan foot fetish...none of the Ryans have been able to see their own feet in years (and haven't been able to touch their own feet in decades), so looking at and touching others' feet is exciting, I guess. :?

flippy
11-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Not many QBs are great passers out of the gate. So maybe Tebow becomes a journeyman QB in time.

He's a running Jon Kitna with a little weaker arm.

His problem is he needs to get defenders out of the box with his arm. And I just don't see that happening. You could give him Randy Moss and Mike Wallace and defenses only have to defend the 10 yards from the LOS.

Chadman
11-22-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't see how John Fox or Elway get any credit for the Tebow phenom. Both of them didn't even want to play Tebow. The fans are the ones who damn near put on a riot to get Tebow playing time.

I'll give them credit for limiting Tebows pass attempts but that's it. While Tebow has led his team to some awesome 4th quarter wins I still have a hard time believing this kid is legit.

He isn't even Kordell Stewart good right now. The guy is putting up 1-8 pass attempts in a half. 3 drives started on the Jets side of the field and they all ended in punts.

Vaughn Miller, or whatever his name is at LB is the real hero on that team. Tebow is a nice story but the D is doing a great job of hiding some horrible QB play.

That being said, I wouldn't bet against Tebow if its a one possession game and he has the ball. The kid is a winner and a great football player. He is more of a RB who occassionally throws the football.

Anyone else think it's 'strange' that Elway & Fox won't commit to Tebow being their QB- yet they drafted him in Round 1. Isn't that a committment in itself?

The sound-bites from Elway & Fox regarding Tebow sound more like they are trying to deflect expectation off him early to ease the pressure. I can't think of many other QB's in recent times with greater intrest/pressure to succeed than Tebow coming out of college- can you?

As for my comparison to Kordell- I agree with you- Kordell was a better passer at the same stage. But they are both athlete's first, QB's second. That was my comparison. I don't know if Tebow will ever be QB-first, in fact, I kind of doubt it.

The question is- can you win with that kind of QB? I think the real point on Tebow is that he's going to need a smart coach, someone not afraid to throw the conventional offensive playbook in the bin, and design a team to suit Tebow's skills.

Given his poor throwing abilities- Tebow might be well served to have a Darren Sproles & Reggie Bush type RB in the backfield for screen passes/option passes & let the RB run in some space. Imagine a backfield with Tebow, Bush & Sproles...

RuthlessBurgher
11-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Anyone else think it's 'strange' that Elway & Fox won't commit to Tebow being their QB- yet they drafted him in Round 1. Isn't that a committment in itself?

The Brian Xanders/Josh McDaniels GM/coach team traded back into the first to get Tebow. Elway and Fox were not involved in that decision (Fox was coaching the Panthers and Elway was the GM of multiple car dealerships in the Denver metro area when the Tebow draft took place).

Chadman
11-22-2011, 11:18 PM

The Brian Xanders/Josh McDaniels GM/coach team traded back into the first to get Tebow. Elway and Fox were not involved in that decision (Fox was coaching the Panthers and Elway was the GM of multiple car dealerships in the Denver metro area when the Tebow draft took place).

Ahh...it must be the wacky Australian calendar striking again..

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Ahh...it must be the wacky Australian calendar striking again..

Yeah, trees are blooming where you are right now instead of leaves a-fallin'. Plus its night time rather than afternoon at the moment. Not to mention that down is up and up is down. And, of course, the water swirls the wrong way down the toilet. Considering everything is opposite from us where you are, I guess you are indeed beating MJG at MNFE this year! Or maybe not. :wink: