PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks: Comeback Player of the Year?

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

Starks authoring an award-worthy comeback

November 16th, 2011

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/72943/Max_Starks.jpg

It is never too early to start talking about awards, especially since speculation for them starts before a single game is even played.

Aaron Rodgers has a hammerlock on the MVP award. Cam Newton is the front runner for Rookie of the Year, though Andy Dalton and DeMarco Murray may be among those closing the gap.

And here is one that I will throw out there: Max Starks for Comeback Player of the Year.

It is hard to imagine Starks not at least being in the discussion for that award at this point of the season.

Consider that he missed the final 11 games of 2010, including the postseason, with a neck injury. Consider that he watched the Steelers’ first game of this season at a sports bar in Arizona — a bloated contract and questions about weight having conspired against Starks in late July when the Steelers released him.

But it turns out the Steelers needed Starks as much as he needed them.

And after they threw the mammoth offensive tackle a lifeline in early October, he went from street free agent to starter in less than a week.

The Steelers are 5-1 since Starks reclaimed his old job at left tackle, and the eighth-year veteran has been a leader and a stabilizing force along the offensive line.

Ben Roethlisberger’s comfort with Starks protecting his blind side is obvious with the quarterback’s high level of play over the last six weeks. And Starks has been better than the Steelers could have expected when they signed him to a one-year contract.

He held Steelers-tormentor Terrell Suggs without a sack two weeks ago. He played a solid game in Cincinnati even though Roethlisberger got sacked five times.

One of those, by my count, was a result of Roethlisberger holding onto the ball too long. And the Bengals gave the Steelers trouble when they attacked the interior of the offensive line, not when they rushed Roethlisberger from the edge.

Starks’ teammates voted him the Steelers’ winner of the Ed Block Courage Award last month. The award honors a player that has shown courage in dealing with or overcoming adversity.

If Starks continues to play well, his perseverance could and maybe should earn him national recognition.

And his take on what has transpired over the last six weeks?

“I’m back home,” Starks said after the Steelers’ 24-17 win over the Bengals. “It’s just a blessing, God’s will overrides anyone else’s. All you can do is just follow a path, one step at a time and He leads you in the right direction and so I’m just blessed.”

So are the Steelers.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... -comeback/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/11/14/starks-authoring-an-award-worthy-comeback/)

Steelers>NFL
11-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Here is hope he does get a new contract after the season is all over. He deserves it.
If not from the Steelers, somebody WILL pick him up.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Here is hope he does get a new contract after the season is all over. He deserves it.

Send Kemo packing and give that money to Max. Then draft a legit LG such as DeCastro, Glenn, or Osemele. When Colon comes back from injury next year, put him at RG between Pouncey and Gilbert.

Starks-Rookie-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert. I can live with that.

Shoe
11-17-2011, 11:44 AM
WHOA... don't get it twisted folks. He's played pretty well, and kudos to him because he's seemingly solidified the line play. BUT I'm not wanting to give him some big money contract because of it.

If we can sign him at a discount (for his actual worth. NOT his perceived worth) then I would agree with that. In other words, if he is command elite LT money, let him walk. If he is commanding LT money that is slightly above average, or a solid RT... that's fine. But nothing more than that.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-17-2011, 03:54 PM
If we can sign him at a discount (for his actual worth. NOT his perceived worth) then I would agree with that. In other words, if he is command elite LT money, let him walk. If he is commanding LT money that is slightly above average, or a solid RT... that's fine. But nothing more than that.

What type of money are you talking about?

For the sake of comparison, Joe Thomas is about to turn 27 and recently signed an 8 year - $92M contract

Starks is about to turn 30.

Closer to his age, Tyson Clabo just turned 30 and signed a 5 year - $25M contract this past July.

D Rock
11-18-2011, 12:00 AM

For the sake of comparison, Joe Thomas is about to turn 27 and recently signed an 8 year - $92M contract

Closer to his age, Tyson Clabo just turned 30 and signed a 5 year - $25M contract this past July.

I think 5 mil per is reasonable for starks. 4 years and 20 mil I could live with. Thats about what Kemo got a couple years ago, and he was no where near the player Starks is.

As to the lineup Ruthless propsed...

Starks - Foster - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

even that seems fine to me if a rookie isn't ready to contribute right away. I'd rather get an early FS who can replace Clark next year in passing situations over a LG to replace Foster.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-18-2011, 01:09 AM
[quote=Shoe]If we can sign him at a discount (for his actual worth. NOT his perceived worth) then I would agree with that. In other words, if he is command elite LT money, let him walk. If he is commanding LT money that is slightly above average, or a solid RT... that's fine. But nothing more than that.

I think 5 mil per is reasonable for starks. 4 years and 20 mil I could live with. Thats about what Kemo got a couple years ago, and he was no where near the player Starks is.
[/quote:1v4t6y5y]

I'd be pretty happy with those numbers. The contract length is a little bit scary but I believe that he has only had the one serious injury and we believe that this was the reason for his lack of off season conditioning then I'm okay after we see the result of the extra workouts.

Shoe
11-18-2011, 01:37 AM
I suppose I'd go Tyson Clabo money. I would really need confidence from the doctors that his neck won't be an issue. I have neck problems, and know how debilitating they are/can be, especially as it relates to absorbing contact. (My neck injury was from repeated physical bumping and grinding. I've never gotten it "fixed", but it basically prevents me from doing that any more.)

Shawn
11-18-2011, 11:39 AM
I think Starks is more than worth 5 mill/season. With that said, due to issues with his health and weight I wouldn't go more than 2 years, and would prefer it be a year to year look.

flippy
11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
I know i'm in the minority, but I've always thought Starks is our best OLineman.

Oviedo
11-18-2011, 04:28 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to give Starks $4M per year but I would have performance incetives in that with regards to weight and conditioning.

Starks has another of couple good years in him plus he is a great team guy by all accounts.

I agree with everyone who kicks Kemo to the road. The guy hasn't improved on anything in the past three years. However, not sure a rookie is the answer in what has become a pass first offense. Most rookies can't handle pass blocking, especially Guards.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I suppose I'd go Tyson Clabo money. I would really need confidence from the doctors that his neck won't be an issue. I have neck problems, and know how debilitating they are/can be, especially as it relates to absorbing contact. (My neck injury was from repeated physical bumping and grinding. I've never gotten it "fixed", but it basically prevents me from doing that any more.)

I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump n' grind. :D

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/b1e6f4ad5d832f5126b548cd8e93dda0/361478.jpg

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-20-2011, 01:46 AM
It's hard for me to quite figure out how 32 teams let a guy watch the first few weeks of the NFL season sitting in a sports bar, and now 8 weeks later he is being talked about as being worth FOUR MILLION DOLLARS a year. It just doesn't compute ...

Oviedo
11-20-2011, 10:12 AM
I know i'm in the minority, but I've always thought Starks is our best OLineman.

I totally agree with you until Pouncey showed up. But I still think Starks is 1b if Pouncey is 1a.

pittpete
11-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Im all 4 anything that will get rid of Kemo

isonator07
11-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Im all 4 anything that will get rid of Kemo

:Agree :Agree Kemo is a :loser

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I think Starks is more than worth 5 mill/season. With that said, due to issues with his health and weight I wouldn't go more than 2 years, and would prefer it be a year to year look.

I would go higher than $5M on a contract with a relatively low (by today's standards) SB. Maybe somewhere around 4 years and $24M with the SB around $6M and part of it also being that $1M per year bonus for showing up under a certain weight.

grotonsteel
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Send Kemo packing and give that money to Max. Then draft a legit LG such as DeCastro, Glenn, or Osemele. When Colon comes back from injury next year, put him at RG between Pouncey and Gilbert.

Starks-Rookie-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert. I can live with that.

:Agree