PDA

View Full Version : I have a theory.....

Dee Dub
11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
..in regards to good to great cover free safety. And in particular one I hope the Steelers draft this coming NFL draft. Some of what makes a great cover safety are the characteristics of instincts, the ability to read and react, to be able to recognize patterns of an offense (game film), patients (letting the play unfold), and discipline (not jumping a play too soon), quickness, agility, athleticism, etc., etc. But I think there is another (some what uncommon), characteristic that goes unnoticed at times. It is the ability to take back an interception for a score. Think about it. Free safeties usually have to go a great distance for a TD. They usually have to go through an enormous amount of traffic often having to zig-zag, cutting through, and making opposing offensive players miss. Essentially transitioning and becoming an offensive player.

This same athleticism that it takes to bring back an INT for a TD are usually the same things that are required for being above average in coverage. Take a long look at Ed Reed and you will see all of this.

Now, I am not saying that Bacarri Rambo of Georgia is another Ed Reed but he is a ball hawk who has taken 3 INT's back for TD's over his 3 years at Georgia. This year alone he has 7 picks so far and 12 over all in his college career.

This past weekend he had one of those picks sixes and the way he broke on the ball was a pure thing of beauty. Like he had been shot out of a cannon. He knew where that ball was going and his instincts were as good as it gets. Oh and he can hit with the best of them too.

If Rambo declares for the draft I think he could be had early second to end of second round. For some reason most scouts have Mark Barron, T.J. McDonald, and Ray Ray Armstrong all ahead of Rambo. But I think that is a mistake. And beside those three, in my opinion, would be better suited at strong safety.

Here is to hoping the Steelers have a chance to draft Bacarri Rambo. :Cheers

snarky
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Bacarri Rambo sounds like a coctaqil made of 50% rum and 50% gasoline.

papillon
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
At this point I would like a FS that can make a defensive play on a ball that is in the air and not worry about what he can do with it after he intercepts it. Goodell is legislating players like Ryan Clark out of the game; I love Ryan Clark, but his style of FS play is becoming extinct due to rule legislation. Draft the best FS available regardless of whether he can or can't return INTs for TDs.

The Steelers just need a guy to put the ball in Ben's hands; he can handle the rest.

Pappy

Dee Dub
11-15-2011, 05:07 PM
At this point I would like a FS that can make a defensive play on a ball that is in the air and not worry about what he can do with it after he intercepts it. Goodell is legislating players like Ryan Clark out of the game; I love Ryan Clark, but his style of FS play is becoming extinct due to rule legislation. Draft the best FS available regardless of whether he can or can't return INTs for TDs.

The Steelers just need a guy to put the ball in Ben's hands; he can handle the rest.

Pappy

I think you are missing my point.... :wink:

steelblood
11-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I'll take Robert Lester or Rambo if either declares. I want a ballhawk. If we get two safeties who can intercept the ball and have good range, QBs would be forced to check down regularly.

feltdizz
11-15-2011, 06:14 PM
I think I saw that INT vs Auburn. It was a nice return but the INT was nothing special. Auburn was getting clobbered and they were pretty awful all day.

I'm talking about the return where he cut back across the field like Troy even though he had all kinds of space to his left once he made the first guy miss.

I'll take him though, that AJ Green TD was disgusting. Its like Clark has lost interest in looking for the football.

Ike finally touched a football last week but I knew he wasn't catching it. At least he touched it though...

flippy
11-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Bacarri Rambo sounds like a coctaqil made of 50% rum and 50% gasoline.

I was thinking almost the same thing when I read this. Maybe this guy is the real Most Interesting Man in the World.

I'd buy a Rambo jersey.