PDA

View Full Version : Worilds doesn't impress me

MaxAMillion
11-13-2011, 07:03 PM
I think the Steelers have another OLB that won't make much of an impact. Worilds doesn't do much on the pass rush unless he is facing a TE or a RB. He can get handled at the point of attack. I don't see Worilds ever playing at a high level consistently.

It made sense to draft an OLB that you could groom to replace Harrison. Unfortunately I don't think Worilds is the player for the Steelers long term.

isonator07
11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
You might be right Max. He had a couple pressures the last couple games, but he seems quiet most of the time.

Hopefully its just a matter of getting on the field more. I was hoping to see more from him in the last couple of games though.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-13-2011, 07:08 PM
should have selected cody with that pick.

BURGH86STEEL
11-13-2011, 07:15 PM
He is dealing with an injury and switched to a side of the field where he may not be that comfortable. He's played in what 2 games? To early to determine one way or another.

DukieBoy
11-13-2011, 07:23 PM
He was getting held alot today. I did not see that he played a bad game. He may blossom later, year 3 maybe.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
In 2002, a 6'0" 240 pound, undrafted rookie linebacker, signed with the Steelers practice squad. Over the next four years, this linebacker failed to "impress". He was released three times, signed with another team, played in the NFL Europe program, and was cut for the fourth time.

In 2007, through a unique series of events, he earned a starting role, had a breakout season, and went to the pro bowl. What changed? What changed him from bust to all pro? I believe there were two factors:

1) He got the opportunity to start. 50+ snaps a game for 16 straight games makes a huge difference in a player's development. Not only the chance to make plays, but to improve your skill-set by playing against better competition.

2) He improved his strength and technique. I would guess Harrison is somewhere around 265 right now. And that's 25 pounds of pure man strength muscle. That extra strength is essential in beating elite OL. It also takes a certain amount of reps to figure out what works and what doesn't and to evaluate your play on film

I'm not saying Jason Worilds is (or ever will be) a James Harrison. All I'm saying is, there are very few OLB's drafted in the second round who become dominate playmakers within their first two years. Especially when you have two all pro OLB's starting in front of you. Woodley is a rare exception.

The question with Worilds is not whether or not he is a bust? It's how his development is progressing at this stage? ... I would say he's improving at an average rate. He looks to be a bit stronger than when he was drafted. He seems to be understanding our offense much better. But he does not get off blocks well enough yet to make the splash plays we want. Hopefully his strength and technique continues to increase.

Shoe
11-13-2011, 09:01 PM

Not this. We already got McLendon, who I prefer anyway, for free. That lazy tubalard is (or will be) a complacent albatross.

That being said, I never understood the Worilds pick. I gave the team the benefit of the doubt that they probably really liked what they saw of him, to pick him so high. And I guess I still give them the benefit... after all, the guy could develop.

But I also don't see any sort of It factor with him. I've seen very little of Carter, but I like him better, though Worilds is probably the better option at this point.

Hopefully it won't matter this year. We've given Woodley two weeks off, the bye week... and Harrison, after getting a little game flavor for the last two weeks, can now recharge/recover a bit... and now (hopefully :tt2 ) BOTH will be ready for the stretch run.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
please.

mclendon is no cody.

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Not this. We already got McLendon, who I prefer anyway, for free. That lazy tubalard is (or will be) a complacent albatross.

That being said, I never understood the Worilds pick. I gave the team the benefit of the doubt that they probably really liked what they saw of him, to pick him so high. And I guess I still give them the benefit... after all, the guy could develop.

But I also don't see any sort of It factor with him. I've seen very little of Carter, but I like him better, though Worilds is probably the better option at this point.

wasnt he slated to go later in the draft.

if we took him in the 3rd, i dont think we would be complaining about his development. its on the FO on why they chose to go for the guy that early

winwithd
11-13-2011, 09:08 PM
I think I would have rather had Sean Lee, much more than Cody.

I don't know who the Seachickens have for a center but they ran down the Ratbirds throats on the last drive. I would assume Cody was in the game at that point and didn' t get it done.

hawaiiansteel
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Steelers should have selected ILB Sean Lee with that pick.

we had Lee rated as a Round 1 prospect, but Tomlin was in love with Worilds and chose him over Lee who was rated higher on our draft board.

Shoe
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
please.

mclendon is no cody.

McLendon was for free. Cody cost a 2nd round pick. I prefer free.

As for NJ-Steeler, I agree. We use a 3rd or so on him, and we all have more patience. It is what it is... we naturally tend to look for more, the higher you are picked.

DukieBoy
11-13-2011, 09:20 PM

I don't know who the Seachickens have for a center but they ran down the Ratbirds throats on the last drive. I would assume Cody was in the game at that point and didn' t get it done.

Lee had injury issues in college, and now is injured again. I wonder if the history of injuries played into drafting Worilds over Lee. When Lee has played for the Cowgirls, he has been very good.

Steelerphile
11-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I haven't give up on Worilds at all. Lee has a clear edge on him right now, but I think that Worilds has demonstrated some pass-rush ability. If he keeps working hard, he has a chance to be good.

papillon
11-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I think I'll give Worilds a chance to be coached some more by the Steelers and get more snaps in live NFL action before I say he's a bust or sucks. Haven;t you all been watching the Steelers long enough to know that try and bring players along slowly, unless, they absolutely have no choice? Lets what happens with Worilds next year and the the year after; that's about the time the Steelers will begin needing him.

Pappy

Shoe
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Lee had injury issues in college, and now is injured again. I wonder if the history of injuries played into drafting Worilds over Lee. When Lee has played for the Cowgirls, he has been very good.

I'm sure his injury concerns played a part... and as he has been down with an injury this year, so far the concern was warranted. I agree though: when he's been on the field, I've definitely noticed him playing good football.

hawaiiansteel
11-13-2011, 09:44 PM

Worilds had injury concerns in college as well and also has been injured quite often since we drafted him...

DukieBoy
11-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Worilds had injury concerns in college as well and also has been injured quite often since we drafted him...

Yes, true, and thanks for adding it to the facts.

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2011, 09:49 PM

thought i saw lee playing today

right?

DukieBoy
11-13-2011, 09:52 PM

right?

I did not see that game. He was hurt last week and left that game with an injury that was described as being very serious. I hope he is back. He is a good player and a Pgh product. Hope he sucks when they play the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
11-13-2011, 09:53 PM

right?

He played today with a cast on his dislocated right wrist, after missing last week's game.

Slapstick
11-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I was fine with Worilds' performance against the Bengals...I thought it was the first time it looked like he knew what he was doing...

Oviedo
11-15-2011, 05:24 AM
I was fine with Worilds' performance against the Bengals...I thought it was the first time it looked like he knew what he was doing...

:Agree Worilds will be fine. Remember, supposedly the biggest improvement for most players in LeBeau's defense comes after they have those second sets of OTAs under their belt. All the rookies from last season missed that. I think we will see significant improvements next season.

I wouldn't have drafted Lee because of the injury issues to his knees. Good for him he seems to be holding up but it was prudent not to draft a player with a history of leg injuries. I don't believe the problem Worilds' problem had anything to do with his knees.

phillyesq
11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
From what I saw against the Bengals, Worilds got pretty good pressure in the passing game, but was susceptible in the running game. I remember a few plays where he got cleared out on runs to the right.

To me, Worilds has looked much better than Carter, and I think that he will be a solid if unspectacular contributor at OLB. He's certainly better than Bruce Davis, Alonzo Jackson or the unmitigated busts at the position.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
In 2002, a 6'0" 240 pound, undrafted rookie linebacker, signed with the Steelers practice squad. Over the next four years, this linebacker failed to "impress". He was released three times, signed with another team, played in the NFL Europe program, and was cut for the fourth time.

In 2007, through a unique series of events, he earned a starting role, had a breakout season, and went to the pro bowl. What changed? What changed him from bust to all pro? I believe there were two factors:

1) He got the opportunity to start. 50+ snaps a game for 16 straight games makes a huge difference in a player's development. Not only the chance to make plays, but to improve your skill-set by playing against better competition.

2) He improved his strength and technique. I would guess Harrison is somewhere around 265 right now. And that's 25 pounds of pure man strength muscle. That extra strength is essential in beating elite OL. It also takes a certain amount of reps to figure out what works and what doesn't and to evaluate your play on film

I'm not saying Jason Worilds is (or ever will be) a James Harrison. All I'm saying is, there are very few OLB's drafted in the second round who become dominate playmakers within their first two years. Especially when you have two all pro OLB's starting in front of you. Woodley is a rare exception.

The question with Worilds is not whether or not he is a bust? It's how his development is progressing at this stage? ... I would say he's improving at an average rate. He looks to be a bit stronger than when he was drafted. He seems to be understanding our offense much better. But he does not get off blocks well enough yet to make the splash plays we want. Hopefully his strength and technique continues to increase.

NOW you tell us this. We let Alonzo Jackson go too early. Same with a plethora of others.

feltdizz
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
It's hard to impress on this team... what stand out on other teams is ho hum D on ours.

I'm not sure if Worilds was horrible on run D or if our D is still having problems on that stretch run play that Baltimore uses against us.

Shawn
11-15-2011, 05:42 PM

I hear what you are saying. And most of the time you won't see me jump on the "bust bandwagon" too soon. With that said, Harrison always showed tremendous physicality, but would get lost. I wondered often why he didn't get more PT. Now we know he struggled early with stubborness and a lack of understanding. As for Worilds, there just seems to be something missing. He just isn't very physical. He doesn't impress me.

I'm not calling him a bust but I am saying that he will have to show me alot more before I would even want him getting more PT.

feltdizz
11-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Unless rushing the QB is all you are asked to do its unrealistic to expect much from a LB in his first 2 years.

Woodley came on strong late but he was given a decent amount of reps and even now we questioned where he was the first 5 games this year.

Worlids is suspect in the run but a lot of it is because he is thinking instead of instincting and that will come with time.

I thought he played well last game. Dalton made some great throws under pressure but he also had 2 INT's.

hawaiiansteel
11-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Beaver County Times
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011

Q&A: Steelers LB Jason Worilds

Jason Worilds will some day replace veteran James Harrison as the Steelers' right outside linebacker. Right now, though, he's been filling in on the left side while LaMarr Woodley recovers from a hamstring pull. A former Virginia Tech star taken in the second round of last year's NFL draft, Worilds will make his third straight start Sunday night when the Steelers play the Chiefs in Kansas City.

After practice Thursday, Times pro football writer Mike Bires spoke to Worilds about a variety of topics ranging from his days at Virginia Tech to the progress he's making in his second pro season. Following are excerpts of that conversation:

Q: Tuesday, Mike Tomlin said your play the past two games was "above the line." How does it feel to get a compliment from your coach?

A: "I didn't hear that, but it's good news. LaMarr is a heck of a player, so to know that I've been doing my job to the best of my ability and the coaches have noticed, that makes me feel good. I've definitely improved from last year when I got most of playing time on special teams. I thought I played OK in my first start against Baltimore. And I think I did pretty well in the game in Cincinnati. It was definitely a step forward."

Q: You had two sacks last year as a rookie but none yet this season. Are you ready to get that first sack this year? Can you feel it coming?

A: "Yeah, I do. I think if I keep getting pressure, it's going to come. I've been close a couple times, but I need to get there."

Q: What kind of rush do you get when you take down a quarterback?

A: "It's probably similar to when a defensive back picks off a pass. It's the highlight for a pass rusher for sure. As a pass rusher, that's what you look forward to doing ... sacking the quarterack."

Q: What has been the hardest thing for you in making the transition from a defensive end in college to outside linebacker as a pro?

A: "Pass coverage. Just making sure my eyes are in the right place so I can make the right reads and making sure I'm physically where I'm supposed to be. We (outside linebackers) probably drop back into coverage more than most people think. I'm getting better at it."

Q: Woodley keeps saying he wants to play in Kansas City but he's been limited at practice this week. Any chance he'll be in uniform Sunday night?

A: "I have no clue, really. If he doesn't play, it's another opportunity for me to go out there and take another step forward."

Q: What's it like playing behind two all-stars like Harrison and Woodley?

A: "They're both great players. I'm just proud to be part of the great Steelers' lineage at linebacker. My time will come."

Q: Did you watch any football games on TV last weekend during the Steelers' bye week?

A: "No, I didn't watch any NFL games. But I did catch the Virginia Tech game (a 24-21 win over North Carolina) from the third quarter on. My Hokies got Virginia this week, and if we win, we play Clemson in the ACC championship game."

Q: How did playing at Virginia Tech prepare you for NFL?

A: "First of all, I'm playing on a lot on special teams with the Steelers.

Coming from Virginia Tech, we always put a premium on special teams. And if you look around the NFL, you'll see a lot of guys who played defense at Virginia Tech. At Virginia Tech, defense is what we do. We always pride ourselves on the way we play defense."

Q: Speaking of Virginia Tech, one of the Chiefs' cornerbacks is a former Hokie, Brandon Flowers. How good is he?

A: "I know Brandon well. We played together at Virginia Tech for two years. He's an exceptional player, probably one of the most under-rated corners in the league. In college, he used to line up on the other teams best receiver week in and week out and make him null and void."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... f6878.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/q-a-steelers-lb-jason-worilds/article_d3548134-1764-11e1-b4d5-001a4bcf6878.html)