PDA

View Full Version : who here thought......

Starlifter
11-13-2011, 05:41 PM
the defense would let dalton score on that last drive? I'll step up first and say I sure did. you just KNEW they were gonna run 3 times for no gain, punt and give the bungles excellent field position.

thank god for a rare interception.

I think we finish the season with at least 10, possibly as many as 12 wins.

having said that, does this defense bring home a championship against the offenses of the packers or saints? lot of football left and fortunes can change - but when you're up 14-0 against the bungles and have to hang on, yikes.

DukieBoy
11-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes, I thought so too, but had hope because their big rookie receiver was hurt. I had less confidence in our D than they deserved as it turns out.

papillon
11-13-2011, 05:52 PM
the defense would let dalton score on that last drive? I'll step up first and say I sure did. you just KNEW they were gonna run 3 times for no gain, punt and give the bungles excellent field position.

having said that, does this defense bring home a championship against the offenses of the packers or saints? lot of football left and fortunes can change - but when you're up 14-0 against the bungles and have to hang on, yikes.

I don't know whether the defense can bring home a championship or not. My question is why can't the offense put the game away when they have the chance? Man, 14-0 another score and you almost don't have to worry about the defense screwing up. I wish the offense could keep their foot on the gas. We know the defense may struggle a bit from time to time, the offense needs to carry this team.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2011, 06:07 PM

I don't know whether the defense can bring home a championship or not. My question is why can't the offense put the game away when they have the chance? Man, 14-0 another score and you almost don't have to worry about the defense screwing up. I wish the offense could keep their foot on the gas. We know the defense may struggle a bit from time to time, the offense needs to carry this team.

Pappy

cincy came in to the game with a very good defense.

you're upset because we couldnt score 3 Td's in 3 consecutive drives to open the game???

skyhawk
11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Hurry up and just let them score so we can get the ball back with enough time ;)

MaxAMillion
11-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Pappy

you're upset because we couldnt score 3 Td's in 3 consecutive drives to open the game???

He is upset because the Steelers did little on offense in the fourth quarter. The Bungles were without their best corner who got hurt. Plus their defensive ranking is based on playing mediocre offenses.

Again, this is an offensive league. All the rules favor the offense. You always run the risk of getting beat if the offense stops scoring points.

DukieBoy
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Run run incomplete punt did not get it done today in one late 4th qtr series today.

But the pitiful offensive series playcalling late in the Ravens game and/or the very poor execution of those plays was even worse.

Steelers>NFL
11-13-2011, 08:05 PM

NO... This team is not good enough or consistant enough to win the SB this year. Especially in the 4th qtr. They suck in ther 4th... And they can not beat good teams handily.

pittpete
11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Arians tried to give the game to the Bungals, but the defense wouldnt comply this time...

winwithd
11-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Who else noticed they went to Saunders on the last drive? He made the catch and the first down. I sure hopes he continues to develop and we've seen the last of DJohnson.

DukieBoy
11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Who else noticed they went to Saunders on the last drive? He made the catch and the first down. I sure hopes he continues to develop and we've seen the last of DJohnson.

x2

papillon
11-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Pappy

I know that's how the post read, but that wasn't the intent. The Steelers come out of the gate with an offense that is moving the ball and scoring and points on the first two drives. Then the defense lets the Bengals score and the Ben tosses an INT, the Bengals kick a FG and then the Steelers go three and out. They end the half with a nice drive to put a FG on the board.

I'm not saying 3 consecutive TD drives (it would be nice), but a drive with first downs and not an INT and something other than a 3 and out. I guess consistency would be nice, 2 TD drives, an INT, a 3 and out and then a FG drive. Then in the second half they couldn't put the game away, scoring 1 TD in 6 drives. That's just not good offensive football.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2011, 09:47 PM
that was on heath but i get what ur saying.

wallace with a uncommon drop in the 4th.

chit happens

Doogie36
11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
and here it is!! A Huge win and a Ravens loss to the Seahawks and we get the NEGATIVETY of the week post.

Not GOOD enough or consistent enough to win a SB? Really? For 1 game we can't hang with any team in this league? Really? Really?

Has anyone watched football this year? Ravens lost to Jacksonville, Titans, and Seahawks!!!! Are they good enough to win a big game?

TExans lost 3 games as well are they good enough to win a big game?

Patriots? really?

Jets? NO

Bengals? NO

Packers in a weak NFC are good enough? WHo is their RB again? is their Defense really that much better than ours? Didnt they almost lose to the Vikings? Didnt the Chargers lite them up for 30 plus points? For one game we can't do the same?

49ers? i'm sorry but they aren't impressing me and i'm not even worried about them!!!!!!!

Any team can beat any team for 1 game! To say that our Steelers can't win the superbowl is CRAZY!!!!! It's a game with a ball and that same ball can bounce in any direction!

We are 7-3 and would have a first round bye right now!!! Lets enjoy this!

We won a Superbowl with a 6th seed!!! I think we can win one this year as well!!!!

LETS GOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

snarky
11-14-2011, 12:28 PM
.... This team is not good enough or consistant enough to win the SB this year. Especially in the 4th qtr. They suck in ther 4th... And they can not beat good teams handily.]

and here it is!! A Huge win and a Ravens loss to the Seahawks and we get the NEGATIVETY of the week post.

Not GOOD enough or consistent enough to win a SB? Really? For 1 game we can't hang with any team in this league? Really? Really?

Has anyone watched football this year? Ravens lost to Jacksonville, Titans, and Seahawks!!!! Are they good enough to win a big game?

Patriots? really?

Jets? NO

Bengals? NO

Packers in a weak NFC are good enough? WHo is their RB again? is their Defense really that much better than ours? Didnt they almost lose to the Vikings? Didnt the Chargers lite them up for 30 plus points? For one game we can't do the same?

49ers? i'm sorry but they aren't impressing me and i'm not even worried about them!!!!!!!

Any team can beat any team for 1 game! To say that our Steelers can't win the superbowl is CRAZY!!!!! It's a game with a ball and that same ball can bounce in any direction!

We won a Superbowl with a 6th seed!!! I think we can win one this year as well!!!!

I'm with you. We need to get a little bit better in the 4th quarter -- but all the pieces are there. I have no idea what coaches do with the bye week, but hopefully there is Lebeau and Tomlin look at doing a better job of rotating guys in on the defensive side of the ball (assuming we have Woodley and Sylvester back). I'd much rather rest guys in the second or third quarter than see us going backward down the field on the last drive of the game.

snarky
11-14-2011, 12:31 PM
This team is not good enough or consistant enough to win the SB this year. Especially in the 4th qtr. They suck in ther 4th... And they can not beat good teams handily.]

Patriots? really?

Jets? NO

Bengals? NO

I'm with you. We need to get a little bit better in the 4th quarter -- but all the pieces are there. I have no idea what coaches do with the bye week, but hopefully there is Lebeau and Tomlin look at doing a better job of rotating guys in on the defensive side of the ball (assuming we have Woodley and Sylvester back). I'd much rather rest guys in the second or third quarter than see us going backward down the field on the last drive of the game.[/quote]

snarky
11-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Call me crazy but I had a pretty good feeling we would be OK. Dalton is pretty good but I don't see the zip on the ball that often makes the difference in the red zone.

NWNewell
11-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Pappy

For a second, I thought I wondered into a Patriots forum.....

Eich
11-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Pappy

For a second, I thought I wondered into a Patriots forum.....

I agree with Pappy. It's an offensive league (some pun intended). The rules benefit the offense. The rules lead to flags and fines for our biggest defensive strengths (separate the ball from its holder). We have a ton of weapons on offense (Ben, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller and Hines). We've shown we can't run from obvious run formations in obvious run situations. So, let's keep our foot on the gas and pass to score with every opportunity we get.

ter1230_4
11-14-2011, 02:41 PM
At no point in that game did I think that the Steelers would lose. Not when the Bengals tied it at 17, not when the Bengals had the ball in Steelers territory on their last drive before Gay's pick. The Steelers were clearly the better team. The Bengals did their usual hang around and try to grt lucky at the end. That only works about once a decade, like it did in 2009.

I am amused by all the comments about how the Steelers won't win the Super Bowl because the Defense doesn't do this, the Offense doesn't do that, yada yada. The truth is that it is still way too early to know whether the Steelers are a championship team this season. How many of us thought the Steelers were a championship team after 10 games in the 2005 season? The 2008 season? There were a number of ugly wins those years, and even uglier losses. What we do know right now is that the Steelers have a championship caliber QB and with a record of 7-3 have themselves in contention. So let's just stop complaining, enjoy the ride and see where it leads.