PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Claim Al Woods

phillyesq
11-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Per PFT.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are still hurting for depth on the defensive line. They’re so desperate in that regard that they’re willing to pick through the trash of a 2-6 bottom-feeder in the NFC West. (Actually, since it’s the NFC West, the 2-6 bottom-feeder is actually in second place in the division.)

The Steelers have claimed defensive end Al Woods on waivers from the Seahawks. The Steelers announced the move earlier this afternoon.

To make room for Woods, the Steelers cut linebacker Mortty Ivy.

Woods appeared in two games for the Seahawks in 2011. Last year, he played in nine games with the Buccaneers.

If I recall correctly, wasn't he on the Steelers P.S. last year before being claimed by the Bucs?

JAR
11-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Yes, he was on the PS last year before going to the Bucs.

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Per PFT.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are still hurting for depth on the defensive line. They’re so desperate in that regard that they’re willing to pick through the trash of a 2-6 bottom-feeder in the NFC West. (Actually, since it’s the NFC West, the 2-6 bottom-feeder is actually in second place in the division.)

The Steelers have claimed defensive end Al Woods on waivers from the Seahawks. The Steelers announced the move earlier this afternoon.

Woods appeared in two games for the Seahawks in 2011. Last year, he played in nine games with the Buccaneers.

If I recall correctly, wasn't he on the Steelers P.S. last year before being claimed by the Bucs?

yes he was, the Steelers must like him...

fezziwig
11-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Darn, I was hoping they got Reese Witherspoon from Legally Blond.

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Posted by Eric

Steelers Claim Woods

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bQFc_P2b3SA/Trr-4LL2eiI/AAAAAAAAAKo/koAqZ4990Mo/s1600/Woods.jpg

The Steelers claimed Al Woods off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks today. Woods is a powerful defensive tackle standing 6'4 and weighing 314 lbs. Woods was drafted out of LSU in the fourth round, 123rd overall by the New Orleans Saints in 2010.

After making the roster, the Saints released him on September 4th, 2010 and was claimed by the Steelers three days later. The Steelers kept Woods on their practice squad until he was signed to the Buccaneers active roster on November 2nd, 2010. The Buccaneers released him prior to the start of this season and Woods had remained on the Seahawks roster until this week.

In two NFL seasons Woods has started 11 games, recording 19 tackles, 13 of those unassisted and a half a sack with the Buccaneers and Seahawks. Woods will be added to the Steelers active roster; to make room for him the Steelers will release Mortty Ivy who has spent the last two weeks on the active roster.

Woods will wear #65.

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/201 ... woods.html (http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2011/11/steelers-claim-woods.html)

DukieBoy
11-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Can he kick field goals beyond 35 yards ?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Can he kick field goals beyond 35 yards ?

Not at Heinz.

steelblood
11-10-2011, 08:39 AM
This move confuses me especially with our situation at ILB and WR. Farrior and Sylvestor and still nursing injuries (so why release Ivy?). Sanders is out and Ward and Battle are not sure things so if we are going to release Ivy why not add Tyler Grisham? Hopefully, all will be able to suit up.

phillyesq
11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
This move confuses me especially with our situation at ILB and WR. Farrior and Sylvestor and still nursing injuries (so why release Ivy?). Sanders is out and Ward and Battle are not sure things so if we are going to release Ivy why not add Tyler Grisham? Hopefully, all will be able to suit up.

They must really like Woods. Corbin Bryant is still on the P.S. and could be signed to the active roster again if a body was needed on the DL.

Slapstick
11-10-2011, 09:48 AM
It makes sense, to me, if Hoke is still having problems. Woods has some familiarity with the organization and the defense from his time on the PS. He also has some actual NFL game experience.

Slapstick
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Actually, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes for now AND in the future...

Given the Steelers' impending salary cap problems, I can easily see names like Woods, Bryant, Ivy, Scott (who was on the 53-man), Cromartie-Smith and Grisham on the 53 man roster from day 1 in 2012...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Per PFT.

You know, I'm not one to regularly rag on the media coverage, but this is simply bad reporting.

How is it that you report that the Steelers are desperate and scraping the bottom of the barrel without also stating that they are reaching for a player who has been with the team previously? Either the reporter did not look into his career history or simply decided to leave it out because it didn't help his desperation angle. :roll:

Slapstick
11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
It was from PFT...

They don't employ reporters...they employ columnists with no objectivity...

They are like the Enquirer of the NFL...

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2011, 01:30 PM
It was from PFT...

They don't employ reporters...they employ columnists with no objectivity...

They are like the Enquirer of the NFL...

Call 'em PFTMZ.

steelblood
11-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes for now AND in the future...

Given the Steelers' impending salary cap problems, I can easily see names like Woods, Bryant, Ivy, Scott (who was on the 53-man), Cromartie-Smith and Grisham on the 53 man roster from day 1 in 2012...

They must believe that they will have enough folks at ILB and WR for this weekend. Hopefully, they are correct, because injuries at WR hurt us last week. Still with Sylvestor and Farrior nursing injuries, I would not have cut Ivy (especially if you like him for the future).

Eddie Spaghetti
11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
i believe ivy has been released before and brought back. if he is signed elsewhere, big deal, IMO. they need an real upgrade at ILB, not a maybe can contribute type guy.

good NT depth which is needed more than ILB depth going forward, IMO.

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2011, 02:57 AM
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
Posted 11/10/11

There was a familiar face on the practice field Thursday with defensive end Al Woods back on the team.

“It feels good to be back, seeing teammates and friends I made the first time I was here,” said Woods. “I am just happy to be back.”

Woods was on the Steelers practice squad for half of the 2010 season before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed him to their active roster. Tampa released him earlier this year and Seattle signed him. Seattle released him this week and the Steelers were able to claim him off of waivers.

“It feels great,” added Woods. “It’s a great organization here. I didn’t want to leave in the first place, but I am just happy to be back.”

Woods is getting a crash course this week, but at least has a grasp on the defense from his first go-around with the team.

“It’s coming back,” said Woods. “The stuff I learned in the time I was here, it’s coming back pretty well. Coach (John) Mitchell has helped me out pretty good. I hope I can get it going in practice.”

His goal is to be ready to play this Sunday if he is needed.

“I am going to get in the playbook tonight, sleep with it, eat breakfast with it in the morning, get ready for tomorrow and try to improve every day,” said Woods.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... cc8736bbf1 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Legursky-looking-to-get-back-on-field/7efdc51c-eadb-43ce-94ee-fdcc8736bbf1)

Slapstick
11-11-2011, 07:27 AM
They must believe that they will have enough folks at ILB and WR for this weekend. Hopefully, they are correct, because injuries at WR hurt us last week. Still with Sylvestor and Farrior nursing injuries, I would not have cut Ivy (especially if you like him for the future).

I think Ivy is an OLB in the Steelers D...

Also, he's been sitting on the PS almost the whole year for any team who wanted him...the Steelers see him in practice, so they know what he can do...I think he'll go back on the PS...