PDA

View Full Version : NFL fines Ryan Clark $40,000

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 03:22 PM
NFL fines Ryan Clark $40,000

Nov 9, 2011

The NFL fined Steelers safety Ryan Clark $40,000 for a hit from Sunday's game at Heinz Field and the Steelers safety is angry about it according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Clark said Mike Tomlin informed him of the fine and said the hit, on Baltimore tight end Ed Dickson, was used by the Steelers coach to demonstrate a good, clean hit during the team's video review of the game on Monday.

Clark also was fined $15,000 the previous week for a hit out of bounds, one he said he accepted because it was wrong. However, he did not accept this one.

"This time it's wrong,'' Clark said and then criticized NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, "not that I respected Roger before this.''

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/t ... fault.aspx (http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/21615/NFL-fines-Ryan-Clark--40-000/Default.aspx)

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Ryan Clark, Ray Lewis fined for hits

By Jamison Hensley - ESPN.com
Updated: November 9, 2011

A week after saying he has to be smarter about personal fouls, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark was fined $40,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit Sunday night and he's not happy about it.

Also, the NFL fined Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Steelers receiver Hines Ward in the same game. Lewis wouldn't disclose the amount of the fine but a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the linebacker was docked $20,000 for the hit.

Clark was flagged for his hit on Baltimore Ravens tight end Ed Dickson late in the first half. Clark hit Dickson in stride, appearing to lead with his shoulder, but both players' helmets made contact.

He plans to appeal the fine.

Clark told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that coach Mike Tomlin informed him of the fine and told him the hit was used by Tomlin on Monday as an example of a good hit in the team's film review.

This is the second straight week that Clark has been disciplined by the league. Clark, the team's representative to the NFL Players Association, was fined $15,000 for a hit out of bounds on New England tight end Rob Gronkowski two weeks ago.

"This time it's wrong, not that I respected Roger (Goodell) before this," Clark told the Post-Gazette.

He also told the newspaper that if he's going to receive a fine for a hit that he and the team believes is acceptable then "I might as well put him to sleep for real" the next time he goes in for a hit.

Lewis also said he wasn't about to change his style of play.

The 16-year veteran said he understands the league's effort to protect players, but said "it won't change not one way how I play this week no matter what the fine is."

Steelers linebacker James Harrison also is expected to receive a fine for a helmet-to-helmet hit in the game, a source has told Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72123 ... er-goodell (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7212307/ryan-clark-pittsburgh-steelers-fined-40k-takes-jab-roger-goodell)

RuthlessBurgher
11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
"not that I respected Roger before this"

Classic.

Leper Friend
11-09-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't know how accurate it is but Dale Lolley tweeted that Ray Lewis' fine is $20,000. Wasn't Harrison's hit on Massaquoi last year $75,000 ? Very similar play.

steelblood
11-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Harrison to be fined? For what?

eniparadoxgma
11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Harrison to be fined? For what?

Being on the field, probably.

"I might as well put him to sleep for real"

:Beer

BURGH86STEEL
11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
The fine is just wrong. 40,000 is a lot of money. Seems the only option is to hit players lower risking knee injuries.

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Ryan Clark’s latest rant confirms the role of coaching in illegal hits

Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/ryanclark-e1320866317746.jpg?w=250

On Sunday night, the game officials missed a helmet-to-helmet hit applied by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis to Steelers receiver Hines Ward.

The league office didn’t.

Later in the game, the officials properly penalized Steelers safety Ryan Clark for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickson. Since Clark is a repeat offender, he’s been hit with a fine in the amount of $40,000.

Clark’s not happy about it. He complained to reporters on Wednesday; the audio has been posted by 96.1 KISS. While his candid remarks create multiple opportunities for commentary, the most telling comments came when Clark was discussing the team’s post-game film review session.

“This is something we watched in slow-mo as a team — as a team — to say, ‘If you’re gonna try to dislodge the ball from somebody,” Clark said. “This is the way you should do it. This is the legal way you should do it.’”

A reporter then asked whether that happened during training camp.

“No, this was Monday,” Clark said.

“Who said that, Mike [Tomlin]?” a reporter asked.

“Yes, this is what we talked about in our meeting,” Clark said. “Like if you’re gonna go to make a play, this is how you should make it.”

The four-minute segment has plenty of other interesting statements. For example, Clark says on multiple occasions that, at a price tag of $40,000, he may as well just “put people to sleep.” But nothing was more compelling than Clark’s indirect acknowledgement that players who object to the implementation of the rules regarding helmet-to-helmet hits are possibly echoing things that they hear behind closed doors, from the very men who are responsible for teaching them the proper techniques.

Though the hit by Clark on Dickson seemed to be inadvertent, he nevertheless made contact with his helmet to the helmet of Dickson at a time when Dickson was, under the rules, defenseless. Clark’s admission that coaches are playing back video of such hits and describing them as proper technique should be alarming to the league office.

This dynamic underscores the point made last week regarding the meeting between the Commissioner and Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. It’s the coaches, not the league office, who ultimately are responsible for instructing players on the line between proper and improper hits. And it’s the coaches, not the players, who apparently are responsible for the confusion and frustration that has been expressed by players and, ultimately, by fans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... egal-hits/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/09/ryan-clarks-latest-rant-confirms-the-role-of-coaching-in-illegal-hits/)

fezziwig
11-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I heard Goodell kept up on Harrisons recovery and was sending him " Get Well Soon " cards. No.......Goodell doesn't care for Harrison, just his money.

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2011, 12:18 AM
From top to bottom, Steelers furious about Clark's latest fine

Associated Press
Published: Nov. 9, 2011

Ryan Clark's first fine for an illegal hit drew nothing but a remorseful nod from the Pittsburgh Steelers safety.

The second fine -- this one for a violent collision with Baltimore Ravens tight end Ed Dickson on Sunday night -- drew his wrath.

"This is the worst, period, point blank," Clark said.

The league fined Clark $40,000 for what the Steelers safety felt was a perfectly normal play and left him wondering if the NFL has gone too far in policing dangerous hits, particularly ones doled out by the Steelers.

"There wasn't anything malicious about it," Clark said. "It wasn't a spear. It wasn't a forearm to the head. It wasn't any of those things and to be fined $40,000 for that? To me it's either targeting me as a single player or it's targeting this team."

The Steelers have been fined 13 times for more than $182,000 this season, with Clark's latest the biggest of the bunch.

Coach Mike Tomlin notified Clark of the fine on Monday, though Clark says referees never offered him an explanation for the flag and he believed he would get a reprieve after league officials got a look at the tape.

The fine was the second in as many weeks for Clark, who didn't appeal when he was fined $15,000 for hitting New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski out of bounds on Oct. 30.

Clark remains baffled by the interpretation of the hit on Dickson and said Tomlin used tape of the play as an example of how to dislodge a receiver from the ball.

"We looked at the film and watched it and I went back and watched it and if you slow it down it's as picture-perfect of a tackle as you can make," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

Tomlin rallied around Clark, saying in a statement he felt the fine was "excessive" and "Ryan has my full support if he chooses to appeal this in any way."

Clark hasn't decided whether to ask the league to take a second look, mostly because of the way the process is handled.

The players can appeal to former NFL coaches Art Shell and Ted Cottrell, who are paid by the league and the NFL Players Association to handle such cases. Their appeal must be heard by the second Tuesday following notification of the discipline. Goodell can become involved in the process at any time.

The Steelers aren't into conspiracy theories, but they're also the only team in the league that voted against the CBA. Clark, who serves as the team's union player representative, believes NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith should get involved. His teammates don't think it's a bad idea.

"That's his job. I think he should do something because right now it seems like they can do whatever they want to," linebacker James Harrison said.

The NFLPA did not immediately return a request for comment from The Associated Press.

Regardless, Clark argues if the hit against Dickson was against the rules, he's not sure what's legal anymore.

"Am I supposed to let him catch it and then wait for him and hug him?" Clark said. "Should I throw a pillow at him? Should I blow a whistle? 'Hey look, I'm about to tackle you.' No, that's not football."

Clark also threatened to go out and blatantly earn the fine next time.

"So it's going to turn into if you're going to fine me $40,000, I might as well put him to sleep for real or I might as well blow his knee out," Clark said.

http://burgh.us/9qj

Discipline of Steel
11-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Even when you lead with your shoulder like Clark did, your head is still anatomically in front of the shoulder and is bound to get 'in the way'. That is all.

feltdizz
11-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Even when you lead with your shoulder like Clark did, your head is still anatomically in front of the shoulder and is bound to get 'in the way'. That is all.

:Agree

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Time to start coaching the flying kick technique. :roll:

grotonsteel
11-10-2011, 12:32 PM
"I might as well put him to sleep for real"

:Beer

:Agree

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Steelers' Clark hit with season's largest fine

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 10, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-11-09/1110clarkinsideCAP-b.jpg

After the latest fine, some Steelers again are starting to feel that they're being targeted by commissioner Roger Goodell and the NFL.

Safety Ryan Clark was fined $40,000 for a hit on a defenseless receiver, Ed Dickson, during the second half of Sunday's 23-20 loss to Baltimore. It was the second time in as many weeks that Clark was fined — and it's the largest penalty the NFL has handed out this season.

"To me, it is either (they are) targeting me as a single player or targeting this team," Clark said Wednesday.

The Steelers have been fined a reported 13 times this year totaling $182,500.

"It's going to turn into, if you are going to fine me $40,000, I might as well put him to sleep for real or I might as well blow his knee out," Clark said. "The hit wasn't malicious at all. It's not that I respected Roger before this with the way he is running the game, but this is ridiculous."

Clark's fine was the largest handed down to the Steelers since James Harrison was fined $75,000 for a hit on Cleveland receiver Mohamed Massaquoi last season. That later was reduced to $50,000. Clark's fine got a reaction from Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who released a statement.

"I think the fine that Ryan Clark received was excessive," he said. "Ryan has my full support if he chooses to appeal this in any way."

The players would rather see NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith intervene.

"Someone needs to stand up and do something — like De Smith," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He needs to stand up for our players."

The NFL has a detailed schedule of fines broken down by violation and amount based on first or second offense; the league hands out the list to every player before the season. NFLPA spokesman George Atallah did not respond to an email seeking comment.

"We haven't heard from (Smith) since the (collective bargaining agreement) got signed," linebacker James Farrior said. "I don't even know what his role is. We complain, and nobody does anything about."

When the players voted to ratify the CBA in August, 31 teams signed off on it — the Steelers were the only team that didn't. One of the sticking points was the power that the commissioner had over fines.

"We didn't sign our rights away," Harrison said.

Some players believe that choosing to not vote to ratify the CBA could be a reason for the NFL to target the Steelers.

"You would hope that people would not hold that against us," tackle Max Starks said.

Clark was penalized 15 yards for the hit. He said the team watched the play during film study Monday, and Tomlin used the hit as textbook form on how to dislodge the ball from a receiver.

Clark was expecting a letter from the league saying the hit was legal. Instead, Tomlin was informed that Clark would be fined, and he relayed word to his player.

"Obviously, they are trying to prove a point," Clark said, "There is nothing Roger can tell me, nothing (NFL executive vice president of football operations) Ray Anderson, De Smith can tell me (to convince) me I am wrong."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1dKAWki9I (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_766537.html#ixzz1dKAWki9I)

ghettoscott
11-10-2011, 05:08 PM

Worked for Bruce Bowen :Beer

[youtube:36w3umv0]edb6bz_C9ms[/youtube:36w3umv0]

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2011, 07:33 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1l2muk1c]Even when you lead with your shoulder like Clark did, your head is still anatomically in front of the shoulder and is bound to get 'in the way'. That is all.

Time to start coaching the flying kick technique. :roll:[/quote:1l2muk1c]

Forget about claiming Al Woods from the Louisiana State University Tigers.

We need to sign Bobby Boucher from the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs.

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/169070_o.gif

Discipline of Steel
11-10-2011, 07:52 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1zjmxezb]Even when you lead with your shoulder like Clark did, your head is still anatomically in front of the shoulder and is bound to get 'in the way'. That is all.

Forget about claiming Al Woods from the Louisiana State University Tigers.

We need to sign Bobby Boucher from the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs.

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/169070_o.gif[/quote:1zjmxezb]

You like Adam Sandler movies, dont you?

So didnt James Harrison prove in the Ravens game that the Steelers already practice flying kick tackles?

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Agent: Clark's fine a 'travesty'

by Mike Wilkening
Posted Nov. 11, 2011

Joel Turner, agent for Steelers S Ryan Clark, told PFW he would file an appeal of his client's $40,000 fine for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Ravens TE Ed Dickson with the NFL by the end of the business day. Turner first told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette earlier Wednesday that he would appeal the fine.

Clark was assessed a penalty for unnecessary roughness for hitting Dickson late in the first half of the Steelers' 23-20 loss to Baltimore. On the play, Clark hit Dickson just as the Ravens' tight end tried to catch the ball. Clark's helmet collided with Dickson's helmet, and the pass fell incomplete. Dickson was unhurt.

The 15-yard penalty, which was for hitting a defenseless receiver, moved the Ravens to their 45-yard-line with 22 seconds left, and Baltimore was able to move into range for a 51-yard field goal at the end of the half.

"This defenseless receiver bullcrap has got to stop," Turner told PFW. "There is no one on the field who is defenseless."

Clark, who reportedly was fined $15,000 for hitting Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski out of bounds in Week Eight, strongly disagreed with being fined for his hit on Dickson.

"If I would have jumped up and put my facemask on his helmet, or put the crown of my helmet in his neck or his facemask, I would understand that," Clark said, per the team's website, Steelers.com. "But I didn't. I put my head all the way to the left as far as I could go. So unless I get a longer neck or a smaller head, there's nothing else I can do."

Turner didn't hold back in his criticism of the league and commissioner Roger Goodell.

"It is an absolute travesty that the commissioner has done something like this," he told PFW, calling Clark's hit "textbook."

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin also has come to Clark's defense.

"I think the fine that Ryan Clark received was excessive," Tomlin said Wednesday, according to Steelers.com. "I am a proponent of player safety and the league's pursuit of improvement in this area. I, like the vast majority of people in this industry, witness daily the steep price that these young men pay to play this game on so many levels. Ryan has my full support if he chooses to appeal this in any way."

Of Clark, Turner said: "He's livid. He's absolutely livid."

According to NFL guidelines, $40,000 is the minimum fine to be levied for a player running afoul of its defenseless-receiver guidelines for a second time.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/1 ... a-travesty (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/09/agent-clarks-fine-a-travesty)

Steelerphile
11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
I think someone in the office that issues this fine, should have the common decency to explain and illustrate the proper technique for playing a receiver who is about to catch a pass in this situation. Are you suppose to wait for him to catch the ball and then as gently as possible try to tackle him? Are you allowed to hit him simultaneously when the ball arrives anywhere? I think the lack of response to any query about exactly he did wrong is as maddening as this fine.

I don't make anywhere the money a pro football player does, but I'm fuming if I get a $30.00 parking ticket, so I know he must be burning mad.

NorthCoast
11-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I think someone in the office that issues this fine, should have the common decency to explain and illustrate the proper technique for playing a receiver who is about to catch a pass in this situation. Are you suppose to wait for him to catch the ball and then as gently as possible try to tackle him? Are you allowed to hit him simultaneously when the ball arrives anywhere? I think the lack of response to any query about exactly he did wrong is as maddening as this fine.

I don't make anywhere the money a pro football player does, but I'm fuming if I get a $30.00 parking ticket, so I know he must be burning mad.

Without saying as much, my guess is that the coaches are as much frustrated with these rules as the players...maybe even more so. Can you imagine sitting in the training room as a coach and a player says "tell me how to do it right, so I don't get a fine". Your only response can be "I'm not sure really, I just know what not to do". That has got to be the coaches toughest challenge. Be aggressive, just not too aggressive.

Goodell will surely ruin this game for all before it is over.

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Like Brendan Shanahan does in hockey whenever he levies a fine. He makes a video and releases it to the public explaining in detail what why the offense was fine-worthy. The NHL has it all over the NFL in this particular realm.