PDA

View Full Version : NFL/NBC will change Dec 12 game

Keyplay1
11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Saw this on today's PG. After checking out the Bengal stuff, there were some bits around the NFL.

The league and NBC will replace the week 13 Dec 4 game between IND and NE for obvious reasons. Ordainarily, I would say ho-hum, but after looking at the schedule it looks like the Bengals at Steelers game would be a most likely replacement. If so, this would be the 4th Sunday night game this season for the Steelers since they also will be on week 12 Nov 27 at Kansas City. This is really an awful lot of prime time exposure for any team. No?

Pretty sure week 13 was intended to be an AFC matchup week. And, if you look at the schedule there just are no really good AFC games. Even the inter conference games do not seem to have much interest. It will be interesting to see which game replaces the Indy-Pat game.

Prior to week 13 there were 5 NFC-NFC games, 5 AFC- AFC games and 2 NFC-AFC games. After week 13 there are 2 NFC-NFC games and only 1 AFC AFC game so as I figured the replacement game week 13 should be an AFC-AFC matchup.

However, I won't be surprised if they don't go NFC-NFC or AFC-NFC. Here's the schedule what do you think?

Carolina at Tampa Bay 1:00 PM FOX Tickets Raymond James Stadium
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh 1:00 PM CBS Tickets Heinz Field
Atlanta at Houston 1:00 PM FOX Tickets Reliant Stadium
NY Jets at Washington 1:00 PM CBS Tickets FedEx Field
Detroit at New Orleans 1:00 PM FOX Tickets Mercedes-Benz Superdome
Indianapolis at New England 1:00 PM CBS Tickets Gillette Stadium
Oakland at Miami 1:00 PM CBS Tickets Sun Life Stadium
Tennessee at Buffalo 1:00 PM CBS Tickets Ralph Wilson Stadium
Kansas City at Chicago 1:00 PM CBS Tickets Soldier Field
Baltimore at Cleveland 1:00 PM CBS Tickets Cleveland Browns Stadium
Denver at Minnesota 4:05 PM CBS Tickets Mall of America Field
Dallas at Arizona 4:15 PM FOX Tickets U of Phoenix Stadium
Green Bay at NY Giants 4:15 PM FOX Tickets MetLife Stadium
St. Louis at San Francisco 4:15 PM FOX Tickets Candlestick Park
MON, DEC 5

SteelCrazy
11-09-2011, 03:51 PM
If they go AFC, yea, Bengals/Steelers is about only option. If they'll use anyone I see them maybe going Packers/Giants or Lions/Saints.

RuthlessBurgher
11-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I sure hope not...I hate primetime home games...getting home at 6:00 a.m. following a Sunday night home game then going in to work on Monday is killing me!!! I can handle getting home between 11:00 and midnight following early games, or getting home between 2:00-3:00 a.m. following late afternoon games, but I don't need to see the sun start rising at the end of an overnight drive (even if my father drives and I am able to sleep in the car for a couple of hours from the Unhappy Valley area in central PA to NEPA).

SidSmythe
11-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Lions/Saints would be good. Steelers already have 5 primetime games this year

Keyplay1
11-09-2011, 05:08 PM
RuthlessBurgher said "I sure hope not...I hate primetime home games...getting home at 6:00 a.m. following a Sunday night home game then going in to work on Monday is killing me!!! I can handle getting home between 11:00 and midnight following early games, or getting home between 2:00-3:00 a.m. following late afternoon games, but I don't need to see the sun start rising at the end of an overnight drive (even if my father drives and I am able to sleep in the car for a couple of hours from the Unhappy Valley area in central PA to NEPA)."

Yeah, that could be rough. I had not thought about that.

One of the reasons I kind of like prime time games is I like to think the team works harder preparing and sharpens up --- something I really don't think I have seen yet. I'm thinking how well the Steelers played on those Monday games in past years.

But anyway, the Steelers are really a top option for that game. If the game is an AFC-AFC matchup that would even out the year at 7 NFC-NFC 7 AFC-AFC and 2 AFC-NFC.

You may have to make another sacrifice RB. :Cheers

Another possible is the Atlanta-Houston game. But that would sort of alter the fair balance originally scheduled. We'll see. They will decide Nov 22.

But if this Sunday's game is a real exciting big time winner the rematch in week 13 is very likely.

NJ-STEELER
11-09-2011, 07:09 PM
i thought i remember hearing that no team can be on national TV more then 5 times in the regular season

regardless of any flex scheduling

plus, if the bengals and us are still in contention at that time cbs can protect the game from being moved to sundat night. i believe they can protect 2 per week

pfelix73
11-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I think that the Steelers play a thursday night game right after those Sunday games. I would doubt they give them the late night start with the Thursday game against the Brownstains.

:tt1

Ozey74
11-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I think that the Steelers play a thursday night game right after those Sunday games. I would doubt they give them the late night start with the Thursday game against the Brownstains.

:tt1

At first I thought this too, but this Sunday the Jets play on Sunday night and then play the Bronco's four days later.

I really hope the Steelers/Bungals doesn't get flexed. I got Guns N Roses tickets that night and really am looking forward to seeing the game before.

:bungalssuck

Keyplay1
11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
i thought i remember hearing that no team can be on national TV more then 5 times in the regular season

regardless of any flex scheduling

plus, if the bengals and us are still in contention at that time cbs can protect the game from being moved to sundat night. i believe they can protect 2 per week

From WIKI: "Fox and CBS each may protect a total of five Sunday afternoon games, not more than one per week, during weeks 11-16 and NBC selcts which game they want to air. FOX and CBS cannot protect games in week 17.

Individual teams may make no more than four appearances on NBC during the season. Only three teams may make as many as six prime time appearances (Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night combined).[18] The remaining teams may make a maximum of five prime time appearances. In addition, there are no restrictions amongst intra-division games being "flexed".

Not sure what the above is saying but it seems to corroborate what you said. The last paragraph said teams can make 5 prime time appearances. BUT, 3 teams can make 6???

The Steelers already have 5 scheduled prime time games. I did not know this til a few minutes ago. I actually do play these games one at a time and do not look ahead. So it seems the Steelers are not eligible to play any more pt games. Or are they? It does say 3 teams can make as many as 6 pt appearances. Are the Steelers one of those 3?

Okay assuming the Steelers are not eligible. [Good! I prefer 1:00 games] and also presuming that a CBS game will be flexed. Then, the following games are available. Which would you pick if you were the NBC boss?

Den @ Min ---Not really bad, but neither team going anywhere

Bal @ Cle --- Over-Under Cle gets 3 1st downs and Bal sucks too

Ten @ Buf --- Not bad, but both these teams have really cooled off

Oak @ Mia ---Carson Palmer's relatives might watch---not really

Ind @ NE ----That one was the one replaced- maybe they should put it back

KC @ Chi ----Decent game maybe, but not both AFC teams [if that matters to qualify]

NYJ @ Was---Some people will want to watch and see if Was can break their losing streak

Hmm! I'll probably end up watching the Steelers game again. Well, since I started this crap I also am committed to making a pick. I would probably watch the Oak @ Mia game.

Finally! ----- Since I really have no idea how this flex thing works, maybe it does not have to be a CBS game. Then there are some pretty good matchups on FOX to take.

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2011, 12:19 AM
yeah

who are those "3" teams. are they predetermined befor the season or is that in place for the flex games...not sure

pretty sure we've had 5 prime times games ever since Ben's 2nd year. they do that with the better teams

hawaiiansteel
11-14-2011, 03:11 PM
No changes to Week 12 schedule, Steelers-Chiefs stays on NBC

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 14, 2011

The NFL has decided not to use flexible scheduling for Week 12.

That means the originally scheduled NBC prime time game, the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Kansas City Chiefs, will remain at 8:20 p.m. Eastern on Sunday, November 27.

The NFL has the option of using flexible scheduling for Weeks 10-15 and Week 17, to put the best NFL games in front of the largest TV audiences. The league has already announced that the Colts-Patriots game originally scheduled for prime time in Week 13 will be moved to 1 p.m., although the league hasnít said which game will take the prime time slot.

The NFL has also announced that the Titans-Falcons game on CBS on Sunday, November 20 was moved from 1 p.m. Eastern to 4:15 p.m. Eastern.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ys-on-nbc/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/14/no-changes-to-week-12-schedule-steelers-chiefs-stays-on-nbc/)

Keyplay1
11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
In the story hawaiiansteel posted "The NFL has decided not to use flexible scheduling for Week 12"

Not a big surprise here. No?

What might be of some interest here is the change of the Tennessee game at Atlanta to 4:15. The game has interest in that both teams at 5-4 are attempting to survive in their divisions against 7-3 leaders. [Hou - NO].

This is probably a CBS double header week so now everyone at least in the Pittsburgh area will see the Cinci @ Bal game. [Early listing Channel 2 Pgh 1:00 Cin - Bal 4:00 SD - Chi. Many in this area will also see the 1:00 Jax - Cle game on Channel 27 Youngstown.

Incidentally, I'm not positive but the winner of that game will take over 1st place in the AFC North. The winner will emerge at 7-3 but in both cases will have an edge in the division standings over the Steelers. Nonetheless, Sunday's results putting the Steelers on top in the division was quite satisfying.

I'm not sure which team winning would be in the best interests of the Steelers, I suppose Cinci since we do have the 1st win over them. A Cinci win would also really damage Bal's chances of even making the Playoffs. Now wouldn't that be an interesting development? LOL

No doubt there will be a bunch of threads on these other games Sunday. There already are threads on the injuries to Schaub [season ending] and Cassell both of which could affect the Steelers in coming weeks. Oh well, let's see what Sunday turns up.

ter1230_4
11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
The winner will emerge at 7-3 but in both cases will have an edge in the division standings over the Steelers.

Wrong! If the Bengals win, the Steelers currently hold the tiebreaker by virtue of the head to head victory over the Bengals this past Sunday. But if the Ravens win they obviously hold the tiebreaker over the Steelers.

With respect to whether the Steelers-Bengals game on December 4 can be moved to Sunday night, the answer is clearly yes. I don't think that any team has more than 5 prime time games in it's initial schedule, so all teams that have 5 prime time games scheduled (like the Steelers) are eligible to be one of the three teams that can have 6 prime time games. Given that the Steelers are already playing the Chiefs on the Sunday night game the week prior to December 4, it would seem unlikely that NBC would want the Steelers on two weeks in a row. Assuming that Fox will protect the NY Giants - GB Packers game ( a pretty safe assumption), my intial thought was that either the Atl Falcons - Hou Texans or the Det. Lions -NO Saints games would get moved to Sunday night. But with both Atl and Det starting to slip, and Schaub out for Hou, who knows. The fact is that the Steelers-Bengals game is a better matchup than either of those games. We'll find out next week.

phillyesq
11-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I have very mixed feelings about prime time games. Being out of the home market, I like knowing for certain that I can watch the game from the comfort of my own couch. But the following morning is never productive, and after a while, that takes its toll.

Keyplay1
11-16-2011, 05:47 AM
ter1230_4 said "Wrong! If the Bengals win, the Steelers currently hold the tiebreaker by virtue of the head to head victory over the Bengals this past Sunday. But if the Ravens win they obviously hold the tiebreaker over the Steelers."

I expected this. But no, I don't think so. I mean it's very early and really of little significance at this time but since you must win the division first before any tie breakers between teams comes into play and since both Cinci and Pit would be tied with 7-3 records then Cinci would technically be ahead since they would be 2-1 in the division and the Steelers 1 -2. I'm pretty sure this would be the case but am not positive.

I'm glad you picked up on this. I deliberatly slipped that in there because the PG story simply said the Steelers perch at the top of the division would be short lived since after Sunday's game between Cin 6-2 - Bal 6-2 the Steelers would be tied with one or the other for the div lead at 7-3.

Like I said, it of course is way to early for this sort of stuff, but I was just brushing up on what everyone knows is going to be the big thing in 5 or 6 weeks when all that wild card tie breaking crap comes into play. :Cheers

WindyCitySteel
11-16-2011, 08:17 AM
That would make four straight prime time games for the Steelers, and five of six. Baltimore was Sunday Night, Cincy day, then KC, Cincy, Cleve, SF.

ter1230_4
11-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I expected this. But no, I don't think so. I mean it's very early and really of little significance at this time but since you must win the division first before any tie breakers between teams comes into play and since both Cinci and Pit would be tied with 7-3 records then Cinci would technically be ahead since they would be 2-1 in the division and the Steelers 1 -2. I'm pretty sure this would be the case but am not positive.

Wrong again! In the event that there is a tie for a divisional title, then the first tiebreaker is head to head between the tied teams, the next tiebreaker is the divisional record. So right now the Steelers hold the tiebreaker over the Bengals. But that would change if the Bengals were to defeat the Steelers on December 4 and win at least one game from the Ravens. There is a lot of football to be played, and the Steelers need to keep winning so the tiebreakers become irrelevant.

Keyplay1
11-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Wrong again! In the event that there is a tie for a divisional title, then the first tiebreaker is head to head between the tied teams, the next tiebreaker is the divisional record. So right now the Steelers hold the tiebreaker over the Bengals. But that would change if the Bengals were to defeat the Steelers on December 4 and win at least one game from the Ravens. There is a lot of football to be played, and the Steelers need to keep winning so the tiebreakers become irrelevant.

You are CORRECT! This time I actually checked the tie breakers in the NFL standing. I was really surprised to see that head to head was the 1st tie breaker in this scenario and div
record 2nd. This did surprise me a bit. Hmm! Steelers and Bal end up in a tie, Steelers 4-2 in the division Bal 2-4 or 3-3 ---- no argument Bal wins the division.

So clearly the Steelers retain 1st place in the event Cinci wins Sunday.

Sugar
11-16-2011, 06:09 PM
The first thing is simply to beat the Chefs- then move on. I like the way the bye worked out for the team. It will be good to try and be as healthy as possible with the playoffs coming up. If they take care of their own business they will be fine.

ter1230_4
11-21-2011, 05:36 PM
According to ESPN, the Detroit Lions-New Orleans Saints game has been flexed to primetime on December 4, not the Steelers-Bengals game. That makes me happy, since I much prefer the 1:00 pm start especially in December. It was also interesting to see that the Denver Broncos-Minnesota Vikings game on that date is being moved from CBS to Fox. I didn't even know that was possible.

Keyplay1
11-22-2011, 02:25 PM
According to ESPN, the Detroit Lions-New Orleans Saints game has been flexed to primetime on December 4, not the Steelers-Bengals game. That makes me happy, since I much prefer the 1:00 pm start especially in December. It was also interesting to see that the Denver Broncos-Minnesota Vikings game on that date is being moved from CBS to Fox. I didn't even know that was possible.

Yeah, those games and a couple others time was changed.

Not many expected the Steelers to be on pt more than the three more they are already scheduled for anyhow. Oh well, I suppose the networks have a right to improve their ratings, and while I realize this is really a ho-hum topic, I guess it doesn't hurt to cover all the bases.

However, one thing did occur to me while giving this flex thing some thought. There are a lot of fans throughout the country who probably can only watch the Steelers when they are in those nationally televised games. Also I wouldn't doubt that those big networks also can be seen in Mexico and Canada and maybe even more places. I don't see how all this exposure can do anything but strengthen the Steeler Nation.

This reminds me of an incident in 2005. There are a lot of the regulars here that were on that site called Pittsburgh.com I think. And there was a pretty regular poster there who called herself "Wyoming Cowgirl". Frankly, I was surprised that someone that far away would be a Steeler fan. Anyway, in one of her posts she put in a picture of an Indian on a pony. She said it would bring good karma to the Steelers and it sure did. I think I'm going to try and dig up that picture, it could come in handy in 5-6 weeks. :D

RuthlessBurgher
11-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Yeah, those games and a couple others time was changed.

Not many expected the Steelers to be on pt more than the three more they are already scheduled for anyhow. Oh well, I suppose the networks have a right to improve their ratings, and while I realize this is really a ho-hum topic, I guess it doesn't hurt to cover all the bases.

However, one thing did occur to me while giving this flex thing some thought. There are a lot of fans throughout the country who probably can only watch the Steelers when they are in those nationally televised games. Also I wouldn't doubt that those big networks also can be seen in Mexico and Canada and maybe even more places. I don't see how all this exposure can do anything but strengthen the Steeler Nation.

This reminds me of an incident in 2005. There are a lot of the regulars here that were on that site called Pittsburgh.com I think. And there was a pretty regular poster there who called herself "Wyoming Cowgirl". Frankly, I was surprised that someone that far away would be a Steeler fan. Anyway, in one of her posts she put in a picture of an Indian on a pony. She said it would bring good karma to the Steelers and it sure did. I think I'm going to try and dig up that picture, it could come in handy in 5-6 weeks. :D

We have several posters on here currently from the Rocky Mountain region (fordfixer, djfan, focosteeler, among others). We also have several defensive linemen from that area of the country as well (Brett Keisel, Chris Hoke, Aaron Smith).