PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2012 Mock Draft and Projected 53-Man Roster

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers 2012 Mock Draft and Projected 53-Man Roster (V. 1.0)

Posted on November 8, 2011 by ted

Note 1: This is my fifth installment of a series on the Steelers’ possible moves before the 2012 season and the first Steelers Lounge mock draft for 2012. If you have not done so, it is advisable to at least read the fourth installment of that series, where I provided predictions on how the Steelers can proceed in again assembling a championship-caliber roster despite facing serious salary-cap issues that will undoubtedly result in the departures of several key veterans that the front office and coaching staff would prefer to keep if Pittsburgh was not already well over a projected team cap ceiling.

These draft picks were, in part, based on needs created and minimized based on the projected off-season moves in that series of articles. They are also based on the assumption that Pittsburgh will again select near the end of the first round, most likely somewhere between No. 25-30.

Note 2: Now, obviously not all of those projected off-season moves will come to fruition, and some potential Pittsburgh needs for 2012 will greatly increase over the remainder of the 2011 season, while others decrease over the next six months based on personnel moves. Based on my projected, upcoming off-season moves, I would rank the Steelers’ 2012 draft needs in order at this point as:

1. OG – Veteran left guard Chris Kemoatu has a degenerative knee injury, is overpaid, and is a strong bet to be a salary-cap casualty after June 1st, 2012. The two other players who have started multiple games at guard this fall, Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky, are both slated to be restricted free agents before 2012 and unrestricted free agents before 2013 if they are not signed to a long-term extension, with neither possessing the athleticism to be a quality long-term starter. Offensive guard is the only position where a first-round pick would have a strong chance of starting the 2012 season opener, and there are 2-3 projected first-round offensive guards in this class.

2. NT – This ranking is based on the assumption that Casey Hampton’s projected $8.057 million cap figure for 2012 will result in the Steelers’ long-term stud nose tackle finishing his career elsewhere. Steve McLendon, who has improved from borderline NFL player to solid contributor over the last two years, will return. Assuming Hampton departs, the Steelers would also like back veteran reserve Chris Hoke, although he will turn 36 before the 2012 season. If Hampton agrees to an extension through 2013 that significantly lowers his 2012 cap figure, then the need at nose tackle minimizes significantly. However, the depth at nose tackle is very poor in the 2012 NFL draft, so the Steelers might take a player early at that spot if Hampton does depart and could reach to do so, although that is not their style.

3. FS – If the Steelers are desperate to cut payroll, starting free safety Ryan Clark could theoretically be released after June 1st, although a restructure is still far more plausible in that scenario. Regardless, the Steelers need to draft and develop Cark’s long-term replacement in this coming draft, because the earliest a free safety can be asked to start in the Steelers’ complex defensive scheme is his second year. The upcoming draft has several interesting prospects at free safety who should go between rounds 2-4, although the rankings of those players vary widely on draft sites. Overall, though, this looks like a fairly deep class of free safety prospects in a year when the Steelers are ready to draft a player at that spot. If they risk waiting until the third round, the Steelers could get a steal, but would likely have choices among multiple great prospects in the second round.

4. ILB – James Farrior and Larry Foote are both possible cap casualties, although at least one is likely to return on a lower 2012 cap figure. I am projecting the 36-year-old Farrior to retire after this season and Foote to sign an extension before the draft. If that happens, the Steelers would likely draft a classic run-stuffer type in the mid-rounds to groom as Foote’s eventual replacement, because the athletic Lawrence Timmons is already locked-up long-term. At the top of the draft board, this looks to be the strongest inside linebacker class in many years, with three inside linebackers in the top 15 of Mel Kiper’s current Big Board. Although unlikely to happen, if any of those three dropped to the Steelers’ spot in the first round, it would be difficult to pass up that type of value. If still on the board, Alabama’s hulking Don’t’a Hightower will also merit first-round consideration by the Steelers. However, since Foote – who has played extremely well over the last two weeks as a starter – still has several serviceable years, Pittsburgh can address this position in the middle rounds, assuming Foote’s contract is restructured and extended.

5. WR – The Steelers have a great young corps of receivers and will hopefully sign upcoming restricted free agent Mike Wallace to a long-term extension before the draft. If they cannot extend Wallace or lose him as a restricted free agent, then wide receiver becomes a more important position in the 2012 draft for the Steelers. There are also the possibilities that Hines Ward could retire after 2011 or is released before 2012, and Jerricho Cotchery is an unrestricted free agent, so adding size and physicality at receiver could be a major need. Even if Wallace is secured for the long-term, the Steelers will need to add more depth at this spot, although they will probably wait until the later rounds to do so.

6. OT – I am sure many readers are scratching their heads at how low I have offensive tackle on the Steelers’ needs list. Well, this ranking is based on three optimistic assumptions: (1) Upcoming free agent Max Starks remains healthy for the rest of 2011 and is re-signed to a multi-year extension before the draft; (2) Willie Colon, who has missed all but one game over the last two seasons due to an Achilles tear and torn triceps, projects to make a full recovery and remains in the Steelers’ long-term plans after re-signing on a 5-year deal before 2011; and (3) Current rookie Marcus Gilbert continues to improve at offensive tackle each week while being forced to start much earlier than the Steelers would have preferred. If all that happens, the Steelers will definitely not have an immediate need at this spot, because even if Colon or Gilbert started at guard, either could move back to tackle in the event of injury to one of the starters. Sure the Steelers would love to take a developmental project, but will have far more important holes to fill in the 2012 draft. Of course if Starks leaves and Jonathan Scott is retained on a reduced contract (even if it includes a contract extension), then offensive tackle shoots up these rankings.

7. HB/FB/TE – We know offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not going to keep a pure fullback on the roster, so long as game-day dress rosters are limited to 46 players. D.J. Johnson is on the team due to his versatility, as he plays fullback in the I-formation, H-back, and occasionally as an in-line blocker at tight end opposite of Heath Miller, although Weslye Saunders usually fills that role, because Johnson is often also in the game at fullback at the same time. However, the only one of those roles where Johnson is a solid contributor is when he lines up as the No. 2 tight end, and he is undersized for that spot. He is not a consistent lead blocker at fullback, is no running threat, and has horrible hands as a fullback or H-back despite being a tight end. The Steelers wanted to replace him last year when the 2011 draft was loaded with undersized tight ends who were tagged as H-back prospects. Unfortunately, the 2012 draft is much weaker in that area and the Steelers now have greater needs at other positions.

8. CB – When is the last time cornerback was this low on the Steelers’ position needs? I think you have to go back to the early 1990s. However, Ike Taylor is a dominant lockdown corner, and youngsters Keenan Lewis, Curtis Borwn and Cortez Allen have all shown considerable upside this fall. All should be better in 2012. This ranking is based on the assumption that Lewis, an upcoming restricted free agent, is in the Steelers’ long-term plans. The team may not draft a corner at all if it can re-sign 2012 unrestricted free agent William Gay to add depth, although he would likely fall out of the playing-time rotation next fall behind Allen and Brown.

9. DE – Veteran Brett Keisel is signed through 2013 and playing the best football of his career. The Steelers are set at the starters for this position for the long-term after investing a pair of first-round picks over the past three years on Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward. However, with Aaron Smith’s probable retirement due to injury, the team has little depth behind those three, with rookie undrafted free agent Corbin Bryant, who is currently on the practice squad but is expected to finish the year on the active roster, seemingly the No. 4 defensive end for 2012.

2012 MOCK DRAFT

1. OG Kelechi Osemele, 6-5, 345, Iowa State: Stanford redshirt junior David DeCastro is the player I have long desired for this spot, but he is having a monster season and likely will be well off the board before the Steelers’ selection. Osemele has been more consistent this fall than the other possible first-round guard, Cordy Glenn at Georgia, although Glenn’s greater upside could also have him off the board as well based on many early draft rankings. I am not enamored with this pick, although it is better than reaching for Alabama’s Josh Chapman or Memphis’ Dontari Poe at nose tackle, quality first-round offensive tackles are almost never left on the board when the Steelers’ select, no free-safety prospects are worth a first-round pick, and the top three inside linebacker prospects will all be gone.

2. FS Markelle Martin, 6-1, 205, Oklahoma State: Alabama’s Robert Lester is also a possibility here, but Lester may not even enter the draft and is not as stout yet in run support as Martin, who is a key playmaker for the Cowboys’ vulnerable but optimistic defense. He would be a likely starter in 2013 at free safety and – unlike Lester – could contribute at strong safety as well. The concern is – like the rest of Oklahoma State’s defense – Martin is too prone to mental mistakes, which would be detrimental for a free safety in the Steelers’ defense. However, those miscues are less frequent with Martin than his teammates, and fundamentals can be taught – talent and big-game experience cannot, and Martin has both.

3. NT Kwame Geathers, 6-5, 350, Georgia: A redshirt sophomore who is in his first season of earning significant playing time, Geathers should not enter the NFL Draft this early, particularly since he is still only sharing time with JUCO transfer John Jenkins, another potential draftee best advised to stay in school. Geathers, however, has a lot of NFL bloodlines, and all of the Geathers clan seemingly enter the draft in their first year of eligibility. In a very thin class of nose-tackle prospects, Geathers is a boom-bust type who could develop into an above-average 3-4 nose if he learns to play with more consistency and drop his pad level. His upside is huge (literally) and – due to Hoke’s versatility to also play end – Geathers could make the dress roster next fall to give the Steelers a huge body to clog the middle when struggling to stuff the interior run.

4. ILB James-Michael Johnson, 6-1, 245, Nevada-Reno: An excellent and athletic inside linebacker prospect to replace Foote long-term who may still be available at this spot due to the top talent at his position pushing everyone else down the board. Johnson egan his career as an outside linebacker, but made a natural transition to the inside in 2010. His potential is outstanding.

5. WR Marvin McNutt, 6-2, 215, Iowa: I love this versatile prospect who will end up owning many of Iowa’s all-time receiving marks. He is having a strong senior season and probably should be gone by this point, but received a very low draft-grade from the NFL Advisory Committee last year and lacks the down-field speed scouts desire in receivers. McNutt, though, could develop into a nice NFL possession receiver who adds size and can play outside for the Steelers, while also contributing early on special teams. I still think he ends up being drafted higher due to his size and productivity, but McNutt would be a steal at this spot and many draft sites think he may fall this far despite his strong senior season.

6. CB Micah Pellerin, 6-0, 190, Hampton: A sleeper prospect, who may end up being drafted higher than this if he performs well in the postseason. Needs to add upper-body strength, but that can easily be accomplished in an NFL weight-training program.

7. DE Ethan Johnson, 6-4, 295, Notre Dame: A burly and productive big-school player who will likely battle Bryant for the final roster spot on the defensive line or at least end up on the practice squad with a decent training camp.

A Ridiculously-Early Projected 53-man Roster for the 2012 Steelers

Notes: In addition to the draft above, this roster assumes Pittsburgh’s off-season roster moves transpire as I projected in the last installment of our 2012 salary-cap series. However, I have made three projected changes since that article, which may have provided too optimistic of an assessment on how many of its current players Pittsburgh can retain and on the overall projected league salary-cap ceilings.

First, punter Jeremy Kapinos will be re-signed to a 1-year contract for $540K, but not until the early summer. Daniel Sepulveda, now on the season-ending injured reserve list for the third time in four years, will not be re-signed as an unrestricted free agent.

Second, I am now guessing that Hines Ward will gracefully retire after the 2011 season. While this may be optimistic, I am also projecting the Steelers to re-sign Jerricho Cotchery during the free-agency period to a 3-year contract worth $4.4 million, with a signing bonus of $850K and base contracts of $825K in 2012, $1.025 million in 2013 and $1.7 million in 2014.

Finally, in an effort to create some cap space, the Steelers will give kicker Shaun Suisham a choice: Convert some of the $1.337 million base salary we idiotically gave you for 2012 this past offseason into not-likely-to-be-earned (NLTBE) bonuses or you will be cut after June 1st. Suisham will likely comply, which would drop his cap figure $637,000.

2012 Pittsburgh Steelers’ 53-Man Roster

QB Ben Roethlisberger
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Charlie Batch
RB Reshard Mendenhall
RB Isaac Redman
RB Jonathan Dwyer
RB Baron Batch
TE Heath Miller
TE/FB D.J. Johnson
TE Weslye Saunders
WR Mike Wallace
WR Antonio Brown
WR Emmanuel Sanders
WR Jerricho Cotchery
WR Marvin McNutt
WR Tyler Grisham
LT Max Starks
LG Kelechi Osemele
C Maurkice Pouncey
RG Ramon Foster
RT(G) Willie Colon
T Marcus Gilbert
C/G Doug Legursky
G/T/C Trai Essex
T Jonathan Scott

DE Ziggy Hood
NT Steve McLendon
DE Brett Keisel
DE Cameron Heyward
NT-DE Chris Hoke
DE Corbin Bryant
NT Kwame Geathers
OLB James Harrison
OLB LaMarr Woodley
OLB Jason Worilds
OLB Chris Carter
ILB Lawrence Timmons
ILB Larry Foote
ILB Stevenson Sylvester
ILB James-Michael Johnson
LB Josh Kaddu (Undrafted rookie FA)
SS Troy Polamalu
FS Ryan Clark
S Ryan Mundy
S Markelle Martin
CB Ike Taylor
CB Keenan Lewis
CB Curtis Brown
CB Cortez Allen
CB Micah Pellerin

K Shaun Suisham
P Jeremy Kapinos
SN Greg Warren

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/11/p ... #more-6570 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/11/pittsburgh-steelers-2012-mock-draft-projected-53man-roster-10/#more-6570)

Dresden
11-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Cb Xavier Rhodes of FSU would be a far better pick for this team than an OG IMO. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to win at Championship level in the now pass happy NFL if you have a poor secondary. And ours,..though it features one of the greatest DB's to ever play (Troy),...it also features 3 of worst in the league in G-ay, Macfadden and Clark.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-09-2011, 05:18 AM
I agree with our need for an OG. But this is a very weak class for guards (specifically left guards). There simply are no Hutchinsons or Fanecas in this year's draft. And to reach for a weak guard in the 1st round would be stupid. I would rather select one of the many college left tackles who don't quite have the skills to play left tackle in the pros then slide them inside to guard. (Remember Carl Nicks, Ben Ijalana, etc?) That way we can pick up a solid starting left guard in the 3rd or 4th rounds, and use our first two picks on either NT, ILB, or S.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Cb Xavier Rhodes of FSU would be a far better pick for this team than an OG IMO. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to win at Championship level in the now pass happy NFL if you have a poor secondary. And ours,..though it features one of the greatest DB's to ever play (Troy),...it also features 3 of worst in the league in G-ay, Macfadden and Clark.

Agreed. I hope he declares early. The best thing about Rhodes is that he could play free safety as well and/or drop down to the LOS and cover those big TE's as well.

steelblood
11-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I agree with our need for an OG. But this is a very weak class for guards (specifically left guards). There simply are no Hutchinsons or Fanecas in this year's draft. And to reach for a weak guard in the 1st round would be stupid. I would rather select one of the many college left tackles who don't quite have the skills to play left tackle in the pros then slide them inside to guard. (Remember Carl Nicks, Ben Ijalana, etc?) That way we can pick up a solid starting left guard in the 3rd or 4th rounds, and use our first two picks on either NT, ILB, or S.

While I agree that there are not really many true LGs out there right now, there are options. Certainly, David DeCastro has the frame and short area movement skills necessary to be a successful LG in our system. Also, many times pro LGs are converted tackles. Matt Reynolds of BYU would be a good LG. I also believe that Osmele could be a great LG. Nate Potter, Levy Adcock, and Andrew Datko could also be very good LGs.

Dee Dub
11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers 2012 Mock Draft and Projected 53-Man Roster (V. 1.0)

Posted on November 8, 2011 by ted

2012 MOCK DRAFT

1. OG Kelechi Osemele, 6-5, 345, Iowa State: Stanford redshirt junior David DeCastro is the player I have long desired for this spot, but he is having a monster season and likely will be well off the board before the Steelers’ selection. Osemele has been more consistent this fall than the other possible first-round guard, Cordy Glenn at Georgia, although Glenn’s greater upside could also have him off the board as well based on many early draft rankings. I am not enamored with this pick, although it is better than reaching for Alabama’s Josh Chapman or Memphis’ Dontari Poe at nose tackle, quality first-round offensive tackles are almost never left on the board when the Steelers’ select, no free-safety prospects are worth a first-round pick, and the top three inside linebacker prospects will all be gone.

2. FS Markelle Martin, 6-1, 205, Oklahoma State: Alabama’s Robert Lester is also a possibility here, but Lester may not even enter the draft and is not as stout yet in run support as Martin, who is a key playmaker for the Cowboys’ vulnerable but optimistic defense. He would be a likely starter in 2013 at free safety and – unlike Lester – could contribute at strong safety as well. The concern is – like the rest of Oklahoma State’s defense – Martin is too prone to mental mistakes, which would be detrimental for a free safety in the Steelers’ defense. However, those miscues are less frequent with Martin than his teammates, and fundamentals can be taught – talent and big-game experience cannot, and Martin has both.

3. NT Kwame Geathers, 6-5, 350, Georgia: A redshirt sophomore who is in his first season of earning significant playing time, Geathers should not enter the NFL Draft this early, particularly since he is still only sharing time with JUCO transfer John Jenkins, another potential draftee best advised to stay in school. Geathers, however, has a lot of NFL bloodlines, and all of the Geathers clan seemingly enter the draft in their first year of eligibility. In a very thin class of nose-tackle prospects, Geathers is a boom-bust type who could develop into an above-average 3-4 nose if he learns to play with more consistency and drop his pad level. His upside is huge (literally) and – due to Hoke’s versatility to also play end – Geathers could make the dress roster next fall to give the Steelers a huge body to clog the middle when struggling to stuff the interior run.

4. ILB James-Michael Johnson, 6-1, 245, Nevada-Reno: An excellent and athletic inside linebacker prospect to replace Foote long-term who may still be available at this spot due to the top talent at his position pushing everyone else down the board. Johnson egan his career as an outside linebacker, but made a natural transition to the inside in 2010. His potential is outstanding.

5. WR Marvin McNutt, 6-2, 215, Iowa: I love this versatile prospect who will end up owning many of Iowa’s all-time receiving marks. He is having a strong senior season and probably should be gone by this point, but received a very low draft-grade from the NFL Advisory Committee last year and lacks the down-field speed scouts desire in receivers. McNutt, though, could develop into a nice NFL possession receiver who adds size and can play outside for the Steelers, while also contributing early on special teams. I still think he ends up being drafted higher due to his size and productivity, but McNutt would be a steal at this spot and many draft sites think he may fall this far despite his strong senior season.

6. CB Micah Pellerin, 6-0, 190, Hampton: A sleeper prospect, who may end up being drafted higher than this if he performs well in the postseason. Needs to add upper-body strength, but that can easily be accomplished in an NFL weight-training program.

7. DE Ethan Johnson, 6-4, 295, Notre Dame: A burly and productive big-school player who will likely battle Bryant for the final roster spot on the defensive line or at least end up on the practice squad with a decent training camp.

Ok let me chime in on this. I like where this guy is coming from as far as OG/FS/NT, however some of these guys he has slotted wrong in my opinion.

Kelechi Osemele in my opinion is not worthy of a first round pick. I have seen him several times. Granted he is playing at LT right now and Ted is projecting him as a Guard at the next level. What I have seen of him is that he is not all that impressive. Also I think Markelle Martin (who I love), will rise up the boards and be at least a high second round pick, possibly a low first round pick. I have read where he may run a sub 4.4 40.

Here's my crack at it for the first 5 picks.

1-David DeCastro OG Stanford or Cordy Glenn OG Georgia-both much better than Osemele
2-Vinny Curry OLB Marshall--too good to pass up--James Harrison's eventual replacement
3-Baccari Rambo FS Georgia---6 picks this year 11 in 3 years.
4-Marvin McNutt WR Iowa-----the replacement for Hines Ward
5-Rhett Ellison TE/FB USC-----means the end of David Johnson

Shawn
11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I am a huge fan of WR McNutt from Iowa. If he falls to the 5th round I would be utterly shocked. He is a guy that is a serious producer in a big time conference. He isn't going to the Olympics as a sprinter, but he runs nice routes, has great hands and knows how to get open. He would be a perfect complement to Wallace and Brown. McNutt is the guy who will move the chains for ya.

Dee Dub
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I am a huge fan of WR McNutt from Iowa. If he falls to the 5th round I would be utterly shocked. He is a guy that is a serious producer in a big time conference. He isn't going to the Olympics as a sprinter, but he runs nice routes, has great hands and knows how to get open. He would be a perfect complement to Wallace and Brown. McNutt is the guy who will move the chains for ya.

I am right there with you Shawn. McNutt may not actually be there in the 4th as I have him. He is a quality football player who flies under the radar but I believe at the next level in the right system could shine.

Wallace, Brown. Sanders, and McNutt? Very nice.

NJ-STEELER
11-09-2011, 07:20 PM
how can you not like mcnutt

he wears #7 in the black and gold

ya know he's a winner

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 07:24 PM
how can you not like mcnutt

he wears #7 in the black and gold

ya know he's a winner

great point, it's easy to visualize him playing in a Steelers uniform! :tt2

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/marvin-mcnutt-iowa.jpg

Oviedo
11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I could see us going for the top rated safety in Round 1 or 2. Need to move in that direction sooner rather than later. IMO Clark's play has declined this season.

TallyStiller
11-09-2011, 10:27 PM
FS is becoming a far more important position in today's pass first league. You have to be able to run in order to do the things demanded of safeties in coverage. Clark lays hits that draw personal foul flags for the same reason offensive linemen hold and corners grab hold and draw pass interference calls - because he's being beaten and is out of position. He simply can't get where he needs to be... beginning to remind me of the bad old days of Burnt Alexander back there.

We can find serviceable players at OG deeper in the draft, but speed is a valuable commodity that disappears quickly... Troy's speed has redefined the SS position in the NFL, and I think the defense would be unbelieveable if we were to go out and get a FS who can really run to pair with him. Speed, though will require an investment, and I think pick 32 of the first round needs to be spent on it. :D

StarSpangledSteeler
11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I could see us going for the top rated safety in Round 1 or 2. Need to move in that direction sooner rather than later. IMO Clark's play has declined this season.

I agree but for a different reason. I think Clark is playing out of position. He's a much better strong safety IMO. A lot of teams are going with two pass catching TE's (Baltimore, Patriots, sometimes Packers). LeBeau has countered by dropping two safeties back (Clark and Mundy) and bringing Polamalu down into coverage. We actually need a "Mundy" upgrade more than a Clark upgrade. How many times do you see Brady, Flacco, and Rodgers throw to their TE's even when they're covered?... That's because nobody makes them pay. A ball hawking free safety (like Ed Reed used to be) is the best prevention.

Having said that, left guard is still our biggest need. Not that it warrants a 1st round pick but we MUST drat an immediate starter-type upgrade this year.

Dee Dub
11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Two things, Todd McShay of ESPN is saying that OG David DeCastro is the most complete guard in this draft. No weaknesses. If guard were valued as high as tackle in the NFL then he would be rated higher than his teammate Jonathan Martin. McShay, like myself, believe that DeCastro can come in on day one and dominate for years.

Second, he also says that Mark Barron the safety of Alabama is the most complete safety in this draft and can hold up in two-high coverage and is a playmaker both versus the run and pass.

McShay currently has these two rated 18 and 19 respectively. Both should be in range of the Steelers being able to move up.

My personal opinion is that because DeCastro can play immediately and at a high level he would be my pick. We are talking about another Alan Faneca type possibly.

steeler_george
11-11-2011, 04:51 AM
I would love to grab a high draft top quality guard, but I a can actually admit it now, I am pretty contempt with Ramon in the line up now. I thought the OL is coming along well with it's cohesiveness play of the OL.

The biggest needs on this team IMHO going in the draft next year,

1) Safety to take Mundy's spot and groom for the future.
2) RB Mendy is a great RB, but I can see the Steelers letting him go too much money is going to tied up on the "O" especially signing Wallace.
3) ILB/OLB ...this might be post-pond a bit by the great play of foote, Harrison, and yes will still say Farrior, but Sly and Worilds just havent shown enough flash that they are going to be next standard of steeler LB.
4) TE i would love to have a te group like NE does...imagine wallace's and brown's speed with another te who can make plays along with heath....dj is a slug!
5) think it is time to draft back up qb too.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Two things, Todd McShay of ESPN is saying that OG David DeCastro is the most complete guard in this draft. No weaknesses. If guard were valued as high as tackle in the NFL then he would be rated higher than his teammate Jonathan Martin. McShay, like myself, believe that DeCastro can come in on day one and dominate for years.

Second, he also says that Mark Barron the safety of Alabama is the most complete safety in this draft and can hold up in two-high coverage and is a playmaker both versus the run and pass.

McShay currently has these two rated 18 and 19 respectively. Both should be in range of the Steelers being able to move up.

My personal opinion is that because DeCastro can play immediately and at a high level he would be my pick. We are talking about another Alan Faneca type possibly.

I agree with you on DeCastro, but for the record, Todd McShay typically wayyyyy overvalues OL (especially tackles). Most teams go for impact players in round one. I doubt more than one OG goes in the first round.

And word is, Barron is probably gonna run slow at the combine. Not sure how much that will effect his stock.

Dee Dub
11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I would love to grab a high draft top quality guard, but I a can actually admit it now, I am pretty contempt with Ramon in the line up now. I thought the OL is coming along well with it's cohesiveness play of the OL.

2) RB Mendy is a great RB, but I can see the Steelers letting him go too much money is going to tied up on the "O" especially signing Wallace.
3) ILB/OLB ...this might be post-pond a bit by the great play of foote, Harrison, and yes will still say Farrior, but Sly and Worilds just havent shown enough flash that they are going to be next standard of steeler LB.
4) TE i would love to have a te group like NE does...imagine wallace's and brown's speed with another te who can make plays along with heath....dj is a slug!

The idea of getting a OG is to replace Kemoeutu who is clearly the weak link on the Steelers O-line. And I am always a firm believer in getting the best overall value where you are drafting. If I compare DeCastro or Cordy Glenn to the top safeties in this draft, there is no comparison. Those two guards are clearly greater value.

ESPN's Scouts Inc. had the following about DeCastro...

DeCastro isn't quite long or agile enough to slide outside to tackle, but he's the most dominant interior lineman in the nation right now. He has the skill set and mental tenacity to be a starter from day one in the NFL. DeCastro is a relentless run-blocker whose power and mean streak make him a perfect fit for Stanford's scheme. In terms of pass protection, his initial quickness and lateral mobility are above average for an interior offensive lineman, and all that makes him a solid first-round prospect.

If he is anywhere near where the Steelers draft it would be a shame to not get him. Next to Pouncey for the 10 plus years will help control the interior line...especially against the likes of Hiloti Ngata.

Dee Dub
11-11-2011, 12:19 PM

I agree with you on DeCastro, but for the record, Todd McShay typically wayyyyy overvalues OL (especially tackles). Most teams go for impact players in round one. I doubt more than one OG goes in the first round.

And word is, Barron is probably gonna run slow at the combine. Not sure how much that will effect his stock.

Well then forget what McShay says...I have seen Stanford quite a bit this season and I can tell you DeCastro is the real deal. He grades out very favorably to Alan Faneca. And we all know how that worked out from day one.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Contempt vs. Content? Freudian slip? I still feel contempt toward Foster. He's slow footed and doesn't fight through the whistle. Kemo is a huge liability in pass protection. Our center and tackles have played so well lately it is masking our problems at both guard spots. OG is clearly clearly CLEARLY our biggest need. That's not saying the value will be there in the first round. It's saying that particular position is our biggest need for an upgrade. Kemo will be a cap casualty this spring. We could really use an early round talent to start at LG in 2012.

The safety class is showing a lot of value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year. And, yes, we do need a Mundy upgrade.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":5wdv6tws]Two things, Todd McShay of ESPN is saying that OG David DeCastro is the most complete guard in this draft. No weaknesses. If guard were valued as high as tackle in the NFL then he would be rated higher than his teammate Jonathan Martin. McShay, like myself, believe that DeCastro can come in on day one and dominate for years.

Well then forget what McShay says...I have seen Stanford quite a bit this season and I can tell you DeCastro is the real deal. He grades out very favorably to Alan Faneca. And we all know how that worked out from day one.[/quote:5wdv6tws]

As of right now, I agree with you on DeCastro. If he is available when we pick it's a o brainer. I don't think I would trade up though, simply because we need a safety AND a nose tackle AND an ILB. Kind of like last year when we could've traded up to draft to draft Pouncey but it would've costed us Heyward, Gilbert, and Allen, in a year when we needed contributions from all three.

Dee Dub
11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":b0fixxpz]Two things, Todd McShay of ESPN is saying that OG David DeCastro is the most complete guard in this draft. No weaknesses. If guard were valued as high as tackle in the NFL then he would be rated higher than his teammate Jonathan Martin. McShay, like myself, believe that DeCastro can come in on day one and dominate for years.

Well then forget what McShay says...I have seen Stanford quite a bit this season and I can tell you DeCastro is the real deal. He grades out very favorably to Alan Faneca. And we all know how that worked out from day one.

As of right now, I agree with you on DeCastro. If he is available when we pick it's a o brainer. I don't think I would trade up though, simply because we need a safety AND a nose tackle AND an ILB. Kind of like last year when we could've traded up to draft to draft Pouncey but it would've costed us Heyward, Gilbert, and Allen, in a year when we needed contributions from all three.[/quote:b0fixxpz]

There's a trade off in doing that though. Not one of those players you mention (Heyward, Gilbert, and Allen), are immediate "impact" players. Contributors? Yes. But not impact. DeCastro and maybe to some degree Mike Pouncey last year, are impact players.

Do you regret moving up to get Troy Polamalu? Do you miss the players you could have gotten had you not traded up to get him?

I think what you would have with DeCastro lined up next to Maurkice Pouncey for the next 10 plus years would negate anything that you may lose by trading up to get DeCastro.

But let it be known, I am only ok in trading up at a reasonable trade up. Maybe 5-10 spots. Not 15-20.

Slapstick
11-11-2011, 10:11 PM

Mendenhall will at least play out his contract with the Steelers. 2012 is his last year and his cap figure is just over $2,000,000. Three fourths of that is signing bonus that won't go away if he's cut or traded...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Just wondering if you caught the OSU-Iowa State game. Osemele did not play very well at LT. I don't know if that ankle injury is still lingering but he looked nothing like a 1st rounder in that game. That is the first game I watched him play where I keyed on him every time he was on the field. I'm not feelin any of these 1st round OGs except DeCastro right now.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-19-2011, 10:53 PM
anybody who says ramon foster doesn't play through the whistle just isn't paying attention.

thats one of the the things he does best, and the coaches have said as much on several occasions.

Shoe
11-20-2011, 01:54 AM
I want a lineman... and I want him to be smart. When I say smart, I mean quick and decisive in his actions. Not some blob who you can see his mind grinding to a halt when he sees a twist or a stunt.

That 6-5, 345 lb guy you mention seems to that. I'm sorry for profiling, but obese lineman (I consider 6-5, 345 obese) remind me of all the tubs we've had here (e.g. Kemo, Starks).

Oviedo
11-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Getting a Guard in Round 1 to replace Kemo would be a good value pick however if they are as good as being mentioned by some then what is the likelihood that they would be available for the final 8 picks when we likely will be picking? I would also not advocate trading up to get one, besides if we did not trade up to get Pouncey II I doubt we would for any other OG.

I think we need a play making Safety to help Troy and right now that is where I would seriously be looking along with an ILB. Sylvester is not IMO a potential top flight starter. He is a more athletic Larry Foote type player who is a solid back-up who will be great on Special Teams and give you solid minutes when called upon.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Steelers Bye Week: Time To Talk 2012 Draft

AUTHOR: Craig
NOV 19th

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/11/cordy_glenn.jpeg

Is it possible the Steelers would draft an offensive lineman as their #1 pick in the 2012 draft?

Below is the list that NFL Mocks writer Chris Ransom came up with. All in all I think it’s a fairly solid list. I question a couple picks and make note of them below:

1st Round Pick Cordy Glenn Right Guard Georgia Senior : Georgia offensive lineman Cordy Glenn plays left tackle at Georgia. The 6 foot 5 348 pound offensive lineman lacks the footwork to play tackle at this point. Even if Glenn kicks inside to guard Pittsburgh will like Glenn as an offensive line prospect because Cordy Glenn has the size that the Steelers look for in an offensive lineman.

For those of you who feel it shameful to pick a guard as your first pick of the draft (and Lord knows many of you bashed me when I said the Steelers should have this past draft) what if we meet in the middle and pick a tackle who has the skills to move to guard?

The offensive line is thin in the depth charts, and aside from Pouncey and Starks, the starting 5 aren’t that great of a line to begin with. The Steelers need to continue drafting big with good high valued linemen for the next two to three years. Gilbert will grow and more than likely become a permanent fixture on the line. But, the Steelers should continue looking at replacing guys like Scott and penalty happy Kemoeatu.

2nd Round Pick Jayron Hosley Cornerback Virginia Tech Junior Pittsburgh has most of the pieces to #1 secondary in place. Field cornerback check. You got Ike Taylor who can cover an opposing #1 receiver very effectively. Strong safety check. Polamalu need I say more. Free Safety check. Ryan Clark can be an effective starter while Ryan Mundy can be a serviceable backup. The potential weakness if finding a boundary corner who can cover a #2 secondary receiver effectively. Hosley may not be the corner in terms of potential. Even if Hosley flops Pittsburgh has the depth at cornerback and can take a flyer on Hosley to succeed. Pittsburgh has to keep drafting cornerbacks until they get a #2 boundary corner who can play next to Ike Taylor. Until your set with what you got long term you have to keep making upgrades.

Pittsburgh has bigger needs to address like nose tackle, 3-4 middle linebacker, and 3-4 right outside linebacker. The problem is none of the players based on Pittsburgh’s other key needs will be available. That is why I gave the Steelers Hosley here.

I agree that the Steelers need to stay aggressive with drafting corners. Aside from the offensive line, the pieces are in place for a successful offense for years to come. The defense is aging and needs some younger blood to develop quickly or the #1 defense can quickly turn to just average.

3rd Round Pick Baker Steinkuhler 3-4 Left End Nebraska Junior Redshirt Evander “Ziggy” Hood only has 14 tackles in 10 games while filling in for Aaron Smith. Pittsburgh needs to add a replacement to compete with Hood.

I kind of don’t agree with the reasoning behind this particular pick. Hood has actually done very well filling in for Smith. Steelers defensive linemen aren’t known to or meant to accumulate many tackles. Their primary role in LeBeau’s 3-4 is to take up space so the LB’s and secondary can get into the back field with their blitzes. Rookie Cameron Heyward had played some snaps and will add depth to the line. I agree that the Steelers should find another lineman and Steinkuhler could be the one. But, I would move this pick further down.

4th Round Pick Korey Williams 3-4 Middle Linebacker Southern Miss Senior Redshirt Southern Miss runs a 3-4 defense. Williams can be used as a 3-4 middle linebacker.

Williams could compete with Stevenson Sylvester to be the successor to James Farrior in Pittsburgh. Farrior turns 37 in January so Pittsburgh has to draft a successor with this pick because the Steelers need a 2nd linebacker to compete with Sylvester for the starting job.

I like this pick with Williams, but I would like to see the Steelers move a pick for inside linebacker to happen earlier in the draft – like #2 or #3. Farrior and Foote are killing the Steelers defense up the middle – slow, poor pass coverage and pretty terrible open field tackling. I would like to see a linebacker selected before a corner.

5th Round Pick Mike Martin Nose Tackle Michigan Senior Mike Martin plays nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. Martin can be groomed as a successor behind Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke.

I certainly think we need someone better than Hoke as a backup to Hampton. How long can Hampton last before the Steelers find someone to develop?

6th round Pick Darius Fleming 3-4 Right Outside Linebacker Notre Dame Senior Darius Fleming plays next to Manti Teo a first round prospect in Notre Dame’s 3-4 defense.

Flaming is the pass rusher that makes Teo’s job a lot easier. Fleming would be a good successor behind James Harrison. Jason Worilds and Chris Carter have yet to progress.

Fleming has the potential to become a special player with the proper development.

Not sure about Fleming’s value about playing a critical role at OLB for the Steelers.

Worilds is still young and developing. Let’s not jump the shark too much with a pick like this. I think the Steelers need to keep fishing for a good TE to back up Miller. David Johnson is ‘ok’ but lacks obvious skills in receiving that are invaluable in Miller.

7th round Pick Jonas Gray Running Back Notre Dame Senior Pittsburgh adds a second back to split carries with Mendenhall.

Not sure about this pick either. Gray might be a good addition for some speed in special teams and as a potential 3rd down back. But you have Redman and potentially Baron Batch (upon his return from IR) to split carries and even compete for Mendenhall’s starting role.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/11/19/st ... 2-draft/2/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/11/19/steelers-bye-week-time-to-talk-2012-draft/2/)