PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Loss to Ravens still stings

SteelCrazy
11-08-2011, 09:12 PM
PITTSBURGH, Pa. - For Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, the evidence still hurt.

Tomlin sat through all 13 plays of misery, watched every last second of tape of Baltimore's game-winning drive in a 23-20 victory on Sunday night.

"To be quite frank with you, it stung as much yesterday as it did on Sunday night, as it should," Tomlin said. "We lost a very tough, close ballgame, highly contested. ... Hopefully we will grow and learn from it. I know those will be our intentions. I truly believe that it will strengthen us moving forward."

If the Steelers (6-3) want to stay in the playoff picture in the crowded AFC, they don't really have a choice. A hangover of any kind could be costly, particularly on Sunday against surprising Cincinnati (6-2).

The Bengals have won five straight and typically play Pittsburgh tough no matter how their season is going.

"Really, when you think about it, the last couple of years, the ball has ended up in their hands inside the 10-yard line or so, to win it at the very end," Tomlin said. "We were fortunate enough to make a play a year ago. We weren't the year before that."

The Steelers have been making very few game-changing plays on defence this year. Their four takeaways are tied with woeful Miami for last in the league.

Tomlin would rather his team play smart than take aggressive risks to get the ball and pointed to a pair of missed opportunities in Baltimore's last drive as to how thin the difference is between getting a takeaway and getting burned.

"I thought we had them moving very early in the drive, in the pocket," Tomlin said. "We had a swipe at the ball that we missed. We had a third-and-1. We had our hands on the football. We had a fourth-and-1 that the ball just reached the outstretched fingertips of a defensive lineman in the rush lane, and they completed it to Anquan Boldin. To make a long story short, they made all of the necessary plays and we missed a few of them by a hair."

The defence played relatively well until the final drive. Linebacker James Harrison showed no ill effects of the fractured right orbital bone that kept him out a month, finishing with three sacks and a forced fumble.

Tomlin is hopeful Harrison can be joined on the field by longtime teammates LaMarr Woodley and James Farrior next week. Woodley missed the Baltimore game with a hamstring injury while Farrior sat for the second straight game with a calf problem.

Both players will be evaluated later in the week, though Tomlin was encouraged by replacement Jason Worilds.

"I liked the tempo in which he played with," Tomlin said. "I thought he was physical. No question there is room for growth. But if you are just looking at his first substantial action as a defensive player, I thought it was a great place to begin."

Linebacker isn't the only position with injury problems. Emmanuel Sanders will be out "a couple weeks" after having his knee scoped while Jerricho Cotchery will be limited early in the week with swelling in his knee. Arnaz Battle is dealing with a strained hamstring.

Tomlin expects to have veteran Hines Ward available. Ward left the Baltimore game in the second quarter with concussion-like symptoms following a head shot from Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

"It shouldn't prohibit him or slow him down in any form or fashion here," Tomlin said.

If Cotchery, Sanders and Ward can't go it's likely the team would activate Tyler Grisham from the practice squad.

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/sports/ ... ngs--page0 (http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/sports/article/1019375--tomlin-loss-to-ravens-still-stings--page0)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Worilds played well too....He didnt get a lot of pressure on Bert, but he got off his blocks well and made some impressive tackles in the run game.

brothervad
11-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Couple of observations that I have been stewing over for a few days:

1.) if field position for a FG was a concern why not spread out the Ravens and run a draw on 3rd down just to get a couple of yards for a shorter FG

2.) You have 2 timeouts on 4th down. If you wanted time why not take a timeout and discuss. Tomlin may have still made the same decision but at least do a little more thinking before taking the delay of game penalty.

3.) Maybe I am nitpicking here, but it seems to me that your confidence of holding a 4 point lead with over 2 minutes to play is so infinitely higher over a distance of 23 yards. Yeah I know it was the 8 yard line, but I am not sure how secure you should feel given this team's ability to not get the turnover this year.

4.) I saw a play on Sunday that may be over-reaching, but there was a play (somewhere in the 4th quarter) where Flacco overthrew the ball and Polomalu was just a bit late in getting there for a pick 6. Now it's probably an unfair snap judgement I made in my head, but I instantly thought "Does Troy make that play a couple of seasons ago?"

Brothervad

SteelCrazy
11-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Couple of observations that I have been stewing over for a few days:

1.) if field position for a FG was a concern why not spread out the Ravens and run a draw on 3rd down just to get a couple of yards for a shorter FG

2.) You have 2 timeouts on 4th down. If you wanted time why not take a timeout and discuss. Tomlin may have still made the same decision but at least do a little more thinking before taking the delay of game penalty.

3.) Maybe I am nitpicking here, but it seems to me that your confidence of holding a 4 point lead with over 2 minutes to play is so infinitely higher over a distance of 23 yards. Yeah I know it was the 8 yard line, but I am not sure how secure you should feel given this team's ability to not get the turnover this year.

4.) I saw a play on Sunday that may be over-reaching, but there was a play (somewhere in the 4th quarter) where Flacco overthrew the ball and Polomalu was just a bit late in getting there for a pick 6. Now it's probably an unfair snap judgement I made in my head, but I instantly thought "Does Troy make that play a couple of seasons ago?"

Brothervad

I know the play you are refering to and I believe the only reason we are even able to discuss this play is because of Troy. No one else in the league even gets that close. He was playing deep one side and had such a great, fast break that he almost makes the play. He was 15 yards away when he recognized the pass was coming and may have even broke towards the WR before Flacco threw the ball.

dont get me wrong, I was disappointed he doesnt come up with it, but it was still unbelievable he made a play out of it.

Eich
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Glad it still stings for Tomlin. It still stings for me. We had that game won. I sat in disbelief that we couldn't keep them out of the end zone. Our most hated rival and we couldn't keep them out at the end.

SteelCrazy
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
No pressure will almost always results in a score for even a mediocre team. We applied little to no pressure that last drive.