PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin gambles, Steelers lose

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Tomlin gambles, Steelers lose

MONDAY, 07 NOVEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

Steelers fans have wondered most of the season when the inconsistent kicking of Shaun Suisham would cost the team a game.

Wonder no more.

But it wasnít a kick Suisham missed that cost the Steelers a game last night. It was a kick coach Mike Tomlin would not allow him to attempt.

NFL teams rarely punt from the opponentís 30-yard line but thatís what Tomlin did against the Baltimore Ravens. And part of the reason he might have done that is he, like Steelers fans, must have been wondering when Suisham would cost the team a game.

There were other factors, of course, most notably field position and, according to Tomlin, a new holder.

But it all came down to this: Tomlin would rather place the game in the hands of his Steelers' defense than the foot of Suisham. That's a decision a lot of people would make. But it was a loser last night. The defense let Tomlin down. The defense could not hold the Ravens.

Punter Jeremy Kapinos did his job, punting high and shallow. Lardarius Webb call for a fair catch on the 8-yard line. The Ravens had to go 92 yards and they had 2 minutes, 17 seconds to do it.

"I felt good about where they were,'' said Tomlin. "We had a four-point lead and our defense was on the field.''

It was Joe Flacco against that defense, with the field position stacked against Flacco. Flacco won. He moved the Ravens those 92 yards, with the final 26 coming on a touchdown pass to Torrey Smith, and Baltimore won, 23-20.

It was a defeat the SteelerNation might never let Tomlin forget. But he was damned if he did and damned if he didnít.

If he allows Suisham, who missed a 43 yarder last week, to try what would have been a 48-yard attempt into the difficult open end at Heinz Field, three things could have happened:

* If the kick is good, the Ravens can do nor more than tie the game with a touchdown.

* If the kick is no good, the Ravens get the ball at the 37 -- as opposed to the 8.

* The kick could have been blocked, setting up a probable worse-case scenario.

Flacco made the Steelers and Tomlin pay. He passed 23 yards to Anquan Boldin, 13 to LaQuan Williams, 9 to Boldin, 10 to Boldin, 2 to Ed Dickson, 11 to Boldin and after two incompletion and on a third and 10, 26 to Smith for the touchdown with 8 seconds remaining.

The Steelers are 6-3 and in third place in the AFC North behind Baltimore and Cincinnati, both 6-2. The Steelers play at Cincinnati Sunday.

The season is not over. But the road to the playoff is a lot more difficult.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... elers-lose (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30683-tomlin-gambles-steelers-lose)

SidSmythe
11-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I honestly just signed on to write a New Post exactly like this one.
Bam, there it was...first thread.

Every week I ask, "Why is Shawn Shanks'Em our Kicker"

if we had a good kicker, they attempt that FG.

birtikidis
11-07-2011, 06:49 PM
The Ravens have a real weapon in Cundiff. The Redskins kicker is also pretty damn good. And then there's us. Stuck with this guy.

snarky
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
There's an old buddhist fable about a rural chinese farmer talking to friend. The friend asks how the farmer's son is doing. It goes something like this:

Farmer: He got a horse
Friend: That's good
Farmer: But he fell off the horse and broke his arm.
Friend: That's bad
Farmer: But then the imperial army came through drafting able bodied young men, and they didn't take my son
Friend: Oh well that's good
Farmer: So he was taken to the capital as a slave.
Friend: Oh that's bad.
etc. etc.

The whole fable reminds me of how the game ended last night.

Snarky: If we kick a field goal from here the worst that will happen is overtime
Imaginary Friend: Oh that's good.
Snarky: But our kicker is a little shaky and he might miss.
Imaginary Friend: That's bad
Snarky: Oh, we got a five yard penalty so we punted and pinned them on the eight yard line.
Imaginary Friend: That's good.
Snarky: They just made twenty some yards like it was nothing
Imaginary Friend: That's bad
Snarky: It's third down
Imaginary Friend: That's good.
Snarky: They just converted and are on our half of the field:
Imaginary Friend: That's bad.
Snarky: Sixteen seconds to go, if we can hold them for two more plays, we win.
Imaginary Friend: That's good
Snarky: Touchdown and there are only eight seconds left in the game.
Imaginary friend: That's bad

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Steelers-Ravens thoughts

posted by Dale Lolley
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 07, 2011

I understand Mike Tomlin's hesitation to send Shaun Suisham onto the field to kick what would have been a 47-yard field goal into the open end of Heinz Field late in the game with the Steelers up 20-16.

With a new holder and kicking into that end, it was probably about a 50-50 proposition that Suisham would have made the kick.

But how about using a timeout? How about keeping the offense on the field and just going for it, driving a dagger into the Ravens?

Instad, Tomlin hesitated, the Steelers took a delay of game penalty and gave the ball back to the Ravens.

That said, the defense still could have come up with a stop.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ts-ii.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2011/11/steelers-ravens-thoughts-ii.html)

fezziwig
11-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I put the loss on the defense at the end because they were the last men standing on the field representing the Steelers.

Many were in Gays corner this season but I never was. He's
slow, many times out of position and he will never be a starter at corner. He is less......no make that very less than McFadden. By now I would have to imagine McFadden is healthy so put him back at starter.

The defense mad flacco look like a super star.

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Ed: Reaction From Me & You

MONDAY, 07 NOVEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

-- YOU: 16 seconds left. 3rd and 10. Ravens ball on the 26 yard line. Both teams with a time out. Why is Polamalu on the right hash mark at the 20 and your other safety Clark on the left hash at the 18? Shouldnít they be playing deeper? I mean earlier from 2nd and 8 at the 40 we showed them basically the same look and they beat Taylor over the top. Fortunately Smith dropped that one. More interesting than that is the fact that Torrey Smith was covered tighter than any of the Ravens receivers on the TD play. If you watch closely Bolden has Taylor beaten by 4 steps down the other sideline. Why aren't the safetys back there?

ME: Is this Tony Dungy? He questioned the Steelers strategy on defense on that drive too.

-- YOU: That 3rd and 5 call on the last drive was puzzling...a sideline pass? Cotchery, I think it was, had he caught it was going out of bounds? Run the ball...at least you get Suisham closer.or you go for it on fourth and use more clock. BAd clock management has PLAGUED the Tomlin era...

ME: It was Mewelde Moore and I agree that it was a terrible call.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... -me-a-you- (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/113065-ed-reaction-from-me-a-you-)

papillon
11-08-2011, 06:37 AM
I was hoping for a draw play on that 3rd and 5. The Steelers hadn't really used it all game, you know the Ravens were going to bring at least one extra pass rusher and Pouncey was handling Ngata all game. A draw was a safe call with high reward if Pouncey gets a body Ngata and moves him one way or the other. If they sniff it out and you lose 3, 4 or 5 yards big deal, punt the ball. On the other hand it may have iced the game as the hole could open up for Moore.

Why throw a pass to a back heading toward the boundary who wouldn't have made a 1st down if he catches it and still would have run OOB?

Pappy

ter1230_4
11-08-2011, 02:25 PM
When the Steelers had the 3rd and 5 at the 29 yard line, they had to treat it as four down territory. We can complain about Suisan all we want, but a 47 yard field goal into the open end of this stadium is at best a 50-50 proposition no matter who is kicking. Since the Steelers needed to treat it as four down territory they needed to run on third down. If nothing else, they needed to force the Ravens to burn their last timeout. So what do we do? We come out in an empty backfield formation! The Ravens get quick pressure on Ben and he has to throw the ball too early. The offensive play calling was a complete debacle. If we wanted to throw on third down in that situation we would have been much better off in a two TE set where the Ravens were expecting a run rather than KNOWING in advance that it was going to be a pass. And even when the 3rd down throw was incomplete, we should have gone for it on 4th down. A six yard completion and the game is over. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather see the game in Ben's hands than the hands of our defense.

On the winning TD play, the Ravens had 3rd and 10 at the 25 yard line with 16 seconds left. Even if they threw a 10 or 15 yard pass for a first down and used their last timeout, they would only have enough time left to throw it into the end zone twice and less room to operate. So it should have been patently obvious that the only rational choice the Ravens had was to throw it twice into the end zone from the 25. The defense should have anticipated this reality and been set up for it. Sdaly, it wasn't. There are a lot of positives about Mike Tomlin, but his game and time management skills at the end of a half and and a game are sadly lacking. The Ravens scored 10 of their 23 points with virtually no time remaining at the end of the half and the game.

fezziwig
11-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Our kicker sucks. Besides that, the defense let us down at the end. Who would have thought the Ravens would have marched the ball down the field for 92 yards and scored a TD ? I agree, a long field goal is not a sure thing in our stadium especially with a new holder but still, our kicker sucks.

I put this loss on the defense. I also blame the coaches for thinking Gay is a starting corner. Up until this past Sunday he's been lucky.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-08-2011, 03:51 PM
There are a lot of positives about Mike Tomlin, but his game and time management skills at the end of a half and and a game are sadly lacking.

$$$$$
Unfortunately, he hasn't been getting any better in this area, and I don't think he's apt to from here on.

Wilkinsburg
11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Tomlin still had 2 time outs in his pocket...i'm not sure he even wanted to attempt that FG...he put the game on his D...thats not really a lousy decision....if they can't stop flacco from going 92 yards in 2.5 minutes, then they don't deserve to win that game

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 11.8.11

TUESDAY, 08 NOVEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's get started.

Joe D: After this game, what are the odds that MT stops deferring on the kickoff?

Ed Bouchette: I thought that was the right move this time.

Im not JAMES_TAIWAN: Ed: Was Lebeau's Defensive call on the 92 yd drive too timid, passive?

Ed Bouchette: It was more aggressive than timid,some say too aggressive.

Sara: Ed, what are you thoughts on the delay of game penalty? Is finding another kicker going to be a priority next year?

Ed Bouchette: I had no problems with that, as I've written on Plus. I would have punted from the 29 even before the penalty.

Im not JAMES_TAIWAN: Ed: re: 47 yd FG delay of game. Why didn't anybody other than MT call time out? it's pop warner simple, isn't it?

Ed Bouchette: What is the obsession with this time out/delay of game. He said today he wasn't going to kick the field goal, no matter what. Believe him or not, I thought it was the right move. Why waste a time out you might need later to punt from the 29 rather than the 34? The defense had 92 yards after that to stop a so-so offense and could not do it.

Steel Curtain Rising: In your estimation, does Roethlisberger's strong performance on the two TD drives compensate for the turnover and several of the other erratic throws he made earlier?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know about compensate. Joe Flacco had some misses too. No QB is perfect. That interception was a great play by Suggs.

Joe D: Ok...why was was it the right move?

Ed Bouchette: You people who want to kick a field goal would be the same ones who ripped him if Suisham shanks it and Baltimore gets the ball on the 37 and drives and wins. Even if he makes the field goal, the Steelers have to kick off and Baltimore would get it at least at the 20 and maybe more with enough time to drive for the trying score. The only problem I have is, I think he was going to kick the field goal but was hesitant and then took the delay of game because of it.

Hombre De Acero: Ed, any thoughts on the fact that 4 out of the 5 times that Mike Tomlin has started 6-2 he's also started 6-3?

Ed Bouchette: No more than in two of the previous four times he started 6-2 he reached the Super Bowl.

fratcha: So Hines should be good to go with concussion-like symptoms, but Sunday Night it appeared he was limited to special situations, presumably due to the ankle. His head is okay, but what about his ankle? Will he be back as the starter this weekend?

Ed Bouchette: I would guess he will start, yes.

Steel Curtain Rising: Has anyone in the Steelers organization commented on the fact that Ryan Clark got penalized but Ray Lewis didn't?

Ed Bouchette: They will let the league handle that and it appears both players will be fined, if ESPN reports are correct.

Steel Curtain Rising: What is the nature of James Farrior's injury?

Ed Bouchette: torn calf muscle

mikeflores16: If Ben is our best player, don't you want the ball in his hands at the end of the game? Those plays they called on that last drive were horrible. Let him play, please!!

Ed Bouchette: You mean those pass plays? Isn't that putting the ball in his hands? I don't understand.

stillers35: Ed, I did see some things that were reasons for optimism. Controlling Suggs (minus the pick) and Ngata, shutting down Rice and the return of the real James Harrison. Am I looking to "bright side"?

Ed Bouchette: No, those were all good things that happened for the Steelers Sunday night, and they nearly won because of it. That wasn't Indianapolis they played.

OKieSteelerfan: How do you like our chances on Sunday in Cincy? the Bungles seem to be leading a charmed existence these days, do we end the fairy tale?

Ed Bouchette: I haven't really seen Cincy play yet, but D!ck LeBeau is 11-1 against rookie QBs and the Steelers are 9-1 in their last 10 games in Cincy.

Hombre De Acero: Ed, ultimately it went for naught, but would you have imagined that the offensive line would have improved this much from the season opener to the Monday night game?

Ed Bouchette: No, I would not, not after Willie Colon was lost in that opener for the season.

J. Lawrence: Ed, you are a good egg. Gerry Dulac is a good egg. Bob Smizik is a good egg. There are a lot of good eggs working at PG. Thanks. Can we assume that while Sanders missed time that was obviously due to his mother's death, that he also missed the game on Sunday due to this injury? Also, if that is the case, why not report it?

Ed Bouchette: So many good eggs, yet many are scrambled. We did report that when Mike Tomlin said he had a knee injury. Because of his mother's death, he wasn't going to play anyway and I don't know that they knew the extent of his injury. He had it scoped yesterday and will be out a couple weeks according to MT.

Sorry for the delay, but Dan Rooney just stopped by to chat with me. He's going back to Ireland tomorrow and won't return until Christmas.

Handsome Dan: I know we lost and everyone should be SOOOOO devastated about it, but I am an optimist and I think this team is in good shape. Once we get Harrison and Woodley playing together, we'll have our best pass rush all year, which will also help the DBs. The offense is starting to click, using the pass to set up the run. I like our chances to beat anybody if we can make the playoffs. What do you think?

Ed Bouchette: yup.

Yinzer Stuck in Cinci: Ed: These Cincinnati fans are making my life tough this week...any insights on whether Woodley, Farrior, et al will be back? With Sanders out does Gresham get a hat this week?

Ed Bouchette: Tyler Grisham is on the practice squad and of course they'd have to cut someone to put himon the 53. I'd say no, because they did not do it last week.

I don't think Woodley will play, not sure about Farrior.

And if Bengals fans make it real tough, start by asking them for their Super Bowl memories.

Tucson Ken: Is it the end of the world since we lost?

Ed Bouchette: Only, it seems, in State College, Pa.

mikeflores16: Its not that we wanted to kick the field goal, it is that we have a kicker that the team has no faith in.. Reed got run out of town for doing much more than this guy, although he did have a mouth on him...

Ed Bouchette: I would not have tried that field goal had Gary Anderson been here in his prime.

pappa pia: I am surprised I haven't heard anything said about this really, but didn't you think it was pretty over the top to give Harbaugh the Gatorade shower on Sunday? I thought it was kind of embarrassing for them, honestly.

Ed Bouchette: He fully deserved it because now the Ravens have two more Super Bowl wins, one on Sept. 11 and one on Sunday.

OKieSteelerfan: How soon will the big Legursk be back?

Ed Bouchette: Interesting note that MT did not mention his injury today. He said a "number of weeks" previously and that number stands at 3 and counting.

mikeflores16: I was referring to a pass in the flat to Moore..

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, that wasn't the call you'd like to see -- unless it worked.

Jason: Ed, do you think William Gay's performance on Sunday changes the depth chart for the secondary?

Ed Bouchette: No. Tell me which cornerback you think played any better on Sunday?

ed: How many wins will Steelers have at the end of the season?

Ed Bouchette: They've already fared lower than I expected because before the season I picked them 14-2. they have at least a few more losses in them.

longfellow deeds: Unless I missed it, you and Gerry didn't do a post-game video report this week. Too late in the evening for you old-timers or what?

Ed Bouchette: We did it. You missed it.

uncle samuel: Did you get out and vote? (I won't ask who you voted for) Also, in the spirit of Election Day, I've been wondering, is Bob Smizik related to Frank Smizik?

Ed Bouchette: In order this morning: Blogged, worked out at the gym, voted. Bob does have a brother Frank.

hollywood ed: After starring in Invincible, were you surprised you weren't asked to be in the new Batman?

Ed Bouchette: How do you know I was not?

TM: Was Moore not expecting the ball on 3rd down on the final drive? He seemed like he didn't.

Ed Bouchette: Another "miscommunication,'' which means someone erred. Mewelde Moore read it different andcut it up, BR threw a short back-shoulder, which is where the receiver should have cut off the route rather than break itup

CharlotteSteel: Ed, Tony Dungy's comments right after the game--if they had been in a zone defense coverage, presumably this would have lessened the chances of an interference penalty or a TD catch?

Ed Bouchette: Apparently.

JamesinNYC: Any importance in fact that 3/5th of the line is from Florida?

Ed Bouchette: Is this Max Starks?

Thanks for all your questions. See you next Tuesday.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ript-11811 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/113094-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-11811)

Sword
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Should have let Shaun Suisham try the field goal. If Tomlin was thinking
the defense could stop them then it did not matter if the ball was on the 8 or the 37.
the outcome would have been the same.

Penalties are killing us....

Sword

Leper Friend
11-09-2011, 11:36 AM
the defense could stop them then it did not matter if the ball was on the 8 or the 37.

Sword
You don't see the difference in making the offense go 92 yards vs going potentially 63 ? :?

Punting was absolutely the right move . If your supposed great defense can't stop an average offense from driving 92 yards for the win then they don't deserve to win. I would take that scenario any day.

The only thing Tomlin can be blamed for is keeping a terrible kicker that they have no confidence in.

papillon
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Sword
You don't see the difference in making the offense go 92 yards vs going potentially 63 ? :?

Punting was absolutely the right move . If your supposed great defense can't stop an average offense from driving 92 yards for the win then they don't deserve to win. I would take that scenario any day.

The only thing Tomlin can be blamed for is keeping a terrible kicker that they have no confidence in.

Quoted for truth and hopefully, they are trying to rectify the kicker situation. Although, bringing in a new kicker certainly won't instill confidence immediately either; he'll have to make a bunch of field goals first.

Pappy

feltdizz
11-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Sword

Rats don't have an average offense.... they were 14 for 21 on 3rd down. Outside of the 3 and out at the end we had difficulty stopping them.

It was the right call but I didn't have a ton of confidence in our D on that last drive.

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Wednesday news and notes

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 09, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Ben Roethlisberger talked about the final sequence of plays at the end of the game against the Ravens today. Here's what he had to say:

Q: Ben, in retrospect, would you just rather have run the ball three times at the end?

Unfortunately, the plays were there. It was either a miscommunication where one guy saw something and the other guy say something else. The plays were there. You can look at it now and say, ĎIf we would have done this, this would have happened.í You can do that in every sport after every game. Weíll go and weíll stay aggressive because thatís the kind of offense we are.

Q: Re: The miscommunications?

I think itís always going to happen. I guarantee that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and those guys that you say are the best offenses, have had miscommunications. You have to limit them. You canít have them in key situations like that with guys that you expect to make the plays. If you have one a game, you have one a game, but we have to limit them and not have them in key situations.

Q: You and Mewelde Moore have completed a lot of passes over the years.

Heís running a flat route and heís got the option to turn it up late. He felt he had the linebacker on him, which he did, he could beat him turning it up the field. Heís supposed to wait a second to see if I wait half a second to turn it up. He was excited about turning it up because he had the backer trailing him. I was trying to get it to him in the flat to get the first down. Thatís one of those things that itís the first time it ever happened and it probably wonít ever happen again.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/