PDA

View Full Version : 7-0 is how we roll

BigRob
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
That's the real question at this point. Can we go 7-0 to be 13-3? If so, we will win the AFC North and get a first round bye.......

It ain't happening.

Wilkinsburg
11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
That's the real question at this point. Can we go 7-0 to be 13-3? If so, we will win the AFC North and get a first round bye.......

It ain't happening.

They could go 7-0 and still not win the North. They will probably go 6-1 or 5-2...end up 4-6 seed. If they are playing well as the season ends...They have legit shot to win it all.

Northern_Blitz
11-07-2011, 03:25 PM

It ain't happening.

They could go 7-0 and still not win the North. They will probably go 6-1 or 5-2...end up 4-6 seed. If they are playing well as the season ends...They have legit shot to win it all.

This. It's too bad that we didn't win last night as it would have almost guaranteed us the division. As it stands, we are 1-1 against 2 of the top 3 teams in the AFC in the last two weeks. I think we'll get a wild card and be a force in the playoffs.

Starlifter
11-07-2011, 10:28 PM
the baltimore offense is an illusion. believe it. 5-2 from here on out and we have a great shot to take the division. that's what my rose colored glasses see!

papillon
11-08-2011, 06:41 AM
the baltimore offense is an illusion. believe it. 5-2 from here on out and we have a great shot to take the division. that's what my rose colored glasses see!

I don't see the Ravens ending up 10-6, their schedule isn't that daunting either. The Steelers need to win out IMO to capture the North. The Ravens would still have to lose two games if the Steelers go 7-0 because of tie-breakers.

The playoffs start Sunday in Cincinnati. They just happen not to be a one and done tournament yet.

Pappy

chiken
11-08-2011, 07:43 AM
if we end up with 5 or more losses then I doubt we see the playoffs.

Shawn
11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure why the Bengals are getting lost in this equation. Solid D, up and coming O...I'm not counting them out to win the division.

Northern_Blitz
11-08-2011, 11:37 AM

You don't think we make the playoffs at 11-5?

Right now there are 4 teams with 6 wins (us included), 3 teams with 5 wins, 4 teams with 4 wins, and 2 teams with 3 wins. I'll assume that Denver and Cleveland won't win out (so they can't get to 11 wins).

SD, Ten, KC, & Oak have 4 wins and have played 8 games. They'd need 7 wins to make 11, but one of KC/Den/Oak will make for winning their division. I don't think that any of these teams will go 7/8.

The 5 win teams are NE, NY, Buf. One is guaranteed to make the playoffs as a division winner, so only 2/3 could contend for a WC. All have 8 games left. They are all in the same division and have 3, 3, and 4 division games left. In order to lose a WC to one of these teams at 11 wins, 2 of the 3 teams will need to go 6/8 (difficult since they still have games against each other). If NE finishes at 11-5 and doesn't win the division, we'd get in on head to head, unless there was some crazy 3 way tie for WC teams with 11 wins and we lost whatever the 3-way tiebreaker is.

There are 4 teams with 6 wins: Cincy, Hou, Bal, Pit. Let's pencil Hou in for the division win. One of Bal, Cin & Pit will win the North. We have 7 games left, Balt and Cincy have 8. To get to 11 wins, Balt and Cincy would have to win 5 of eight and we have to win 5 of 7. Cincy still plays both us and the Ravens twice each, so there will be at least 4 losses for these three teams. I think we all assume that the Ravens will take the division.

Bengals remaining games: PIT, @BAL, CLE, @PIT, HOU, @STL, ARI, BAL
Steelers remaining games: @CIN, @KC, CIN, CLE, @SF, STL, @CLE

Let's assume that Cincy drops the first game against the Ravens, and the game against Houston, then Bal rests guys at the end of the year and Cin wins. They beat CLE, STL & STL.

Let's also assume that we beat KC, CLE x 2, and STL, but drop one to a tough SF D.

In that case, we'd be at 10 wins and CIN would also be at 10 wins. Our division record would be 2-2, and Cin's division record would be 3-1 and we'd need to beat them both times to win the tie breaker for the WC. If we split, we'd have 11 wins and be fighting for the 6th seed (to get to a tie breaker, 2 of the teams from the east would need to finish with 11 wins) unless there are 3 WC teams at 11 wins and the Bengals don't get the tiebreaker against that 3rd team.

So, here's what I think:

- If we beat Cin twice, we should make the playoffs (likely as the 5th seed).
- If we split with CIN, we could still make even with another loss, but getting to 12 wins by winning the rest of our games would have us all breathing easier.
- If we drop both against the Bengals, we could still get in if we win the rest of our games, but tie breakers will be tough unless we're tied with NE (with 4 division losses and 5 conference losses). I think this is the only case where we don't get in with 11 wins.

If Cincy doesn't implode, it's better for us if the last game matters so that the team with the division lead isn't just resting starters.

Northern_Blitz
11-23-2011, 12:18 PM
We've gone from 13 teams that can get to 11 wins to 10.

At 5 wins:
Jets, Bills, Titans, and Broncos. All of these teams need to run the table to get to 11. Buf plays the Jets, Ten and Den, so there are at least 3 losses between these teams. I don't think any of these teams run the table.

At 6 Wins:
Bengals & Raiders. CIN still has a game against us and against the Rats. Only other hard game on paper is Houston, but without a QB who knows how good they'll be. The Raiders have a tough remaining schedule with games against Chi, GB, Det, & SD. Someone has to win the West, but it's hard to imagine a wild card coming from that division.

At 7 Wins:
Pit, NE, Bal, Hou.
NE should win thier division.
Bal has games against SF, SD and Cin that could be losses. With the tiebreaker, they should win the division, but they have been very inconsistant.
Houston...without their QB who knows how they will finish. The AFC South is like the West. It's hard to imagine two teams in this division getting to 11 wins.

Assuming that Bal, NE, and Pit all get to 11 wins, the only way three WC teams get to 11 is if at least one of the 5 win teams runs the table.

If the Titans get to 11, then Hou will also need 11 for one of them to get the WC.

Similarly, if the Broncos get to 11, then Oak will also need 11.

Jets and Bill can't both get to 11. If the Bills get to 11, it means that NE would have a loss. If they got another loss along the way, they'd end up with 11 wins too. The Bills would win the division from head to head. The Pats would lose the tie breaker to us if we both had 11 wins.

4-2 the rest of the way should get us into the playoffs, so even if we drop games against SF and Cin we may be OK. If we win both of those games I wouldn't be suprised if we got a week off.

WindyCitySteel
11-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Please. 11-5 is not missing the playoffs in the AFC. Every possible WC team but Pitt and Cincy already has five losses.

10-6 would probably make it.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Please. 11-5 is not missing the playoffs in the AFC. Every possible WC team but Pitt and Cincy already has five losses.

10-6 would probably make it.

:Agree but to be fair, chiken wrote that 2 weeks ago, so you are privy to more updated info now than he was on 11-8-11.

Shoe
11-24-2011, 12:03 AM

Please... If they go 7-0, they win the division.

JDSteeler
11-24-2011, 12:19 PM
As of now, 11/24, this is what I know.

NE wins East, and may run the table with an easy schedule...but @Phily, and @DEN could be two losses. They finish 13-3, 12-4, or 11-5.

NYJ is a joke! They still have @Phily, NYG, and @MIA....They will lose two of these, and finish 9-7.

Bills...are done! Fred Jackson is on IR. But even if he was ok, they still imploded....

HOU may hold on to win division, but have a monster schedule, including, ATL, @CIN, and 3 division games....Schaub now on IR, but I think 10-6, at best, and it comes down to final game vs Titans.

TEN is two, virtually three, games back of HOU, because they lost to HOU in first meeting...TEN has to win-out....not happening.

JAX is out.

DEN wins West. Easier schedule than Raiders.

SD is Done!

This division sucks...Winner finishes 9-7, or 8-8.

PIT wins the North! PIT runs the table, and dominates the rest of the schedule!
PIT is #1 seed!!!! Finish 13-3!!

BAL will lose one more game, possibly two...but clinches a Wild-Card. BAL finishes 12-4, or 11-5.

CIN clinches a Wild-Card by virtue of better record than NYJ, TEN, OAK, BUF etc...CIN probably finishes 10-6, but 11-5 is possibility...and could sneek into #5 seed...

SEEDS for AFCPO's

1. Steeeeelers.

2. Pats**.

3. Broncos.

4. Texans.

5. Rats.

6. Bungals.

JD

Sugar
11-24-2011, 12:45 PM
PIT wins the North! PIT runs the table, and dominates the rest of the schedule!
PIT is #1 seed!!!! Finish 13-3!!
JD

I'm not sure I see us running the table. San Francisco has been playing good ball and the Bengals have proven pretty resiliant. IMO, Baltimore loses one more and we lose one more. They own the tiebreaker.

See you at Heinz for wildcard weekend!

Ozey74
11-24-2011, 06:16 PM
If Baltimore beats the 49ers tonight, we will have a hard time winning the division. However, the Ravens have a hard time winning following a big win this year. They play at Cleveland next week.

:ratsuck :brownssuck

chiken
11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
wow - Major Injuries to key players these last couple of Weeks has made things a bit interesting in the Afc.. I thought 5 losses would Doom us but who knows now - I hope Houston can hold out and Win the Division - if not and We don't win ours that could put us at Odds with them (tie-breaker)

The Jets have a manageable schedule till the last 2 but then again this is the team that just lost to Tebow.

5 to me is still a scary number but I feel better a bout 5 now than I did 2 weeks ago.

Keyplay1
11-25-2011, 12:55 PM
papillon said: "I don't see the Ravens ending up 10-6, their schedule isn't that daunting either. The Steelers need to win out IMO to capture the North. The Ravens would still have to lose two games if the Steelers go 7-0 because of tie-breakers.

The playoffs start Sunday in Cincinnati. They just happen not to be a one and done tournament yet.

Pappy

Hey Pappy, one at a time. We have had some problems in KC in the past.

Also, if the Ravens lose 1 game that will make 4 losses for them. The tie breaker will not come into play then.

I'm inclined to go with RuthlessBurgher here. 11-5 makes the playoffs and probably 10 -6 will too. It really is going to be hard for the Steelers to blow a spot in the PO's this year.

As far as the tie breaker with Houston goes. If the Texans blow the div title, they will have to have at least 6 losses. They already have beaten Ten bad before and have a big lead in both the div and conf standings. Not going to happen.