PDA

View Full Version : Gay with man to man + Clark over the top equals...

Dee Dub
11-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Ravens win!! Bottom line. How Ryan Clark let Torrey Smith get behind him is beyond me. They just showed the break down with Merrill Hodge on ESPN and two things stand out. Clark didnt have enough depth to begin with and then hesitated to get over and help over the top. His hesitation was caused by Bolden being in the slot running an inside slant. You would think Clark would know that there is some help inside but none over the top down the sideline.

This is a major weakness on this team and opponents know it. The "LeBeau Cushion" is actually the "Ryan Clark Cushion". Playing Troy as often as he is played near the box and near the LOS with a weakness in coverage at the other safety position means you have to play off on the corners more often than you would like. It also means you have to drop your backers into an underneath zone more often than you can rush them. Trickle down football schematics.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 01:52 PM
what's crazy is how Clark jumped early when he was closing... he didn't even look to play the ball.

steelblood
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Ravens win!! Bottom line. How Ryan Clark let Torrey Smith get behind him is beyond me. They just showed the break down with Merrill Hodge on ESPN and two things stand out. Clark didnt have enough depth to begin with and then hesitated to get over and help over the top. His hesitation was caused by Bolden being in the slot running an inside slant. You would think Clark would know that there is some help inside but none over the top down the sideline.

This is a major weakness on this team and opponents know it. The "LeBeau Cushion" is actually the "Ryan Clark Cushion". Playing Troy as often as he is played near the box and near the LOS with a weakness in coverage at the other safety position means you have to play off on the corners more often than you would like. It also means you have to drop your backers into an underneath zone more often than you can rush them. Trickle down football schematics.

The good news is that Sylvestor and Timmons have great range. Add a FS with great range and we have something. By the way, your thread title is highly suggestive.
:wink:

pittpete
11-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Didnt Troy jump a sideline route on the opposite side on the play with Ike Taylor?
When Smith dropped the TD..
Looked like Taylor expected help when he let up on Smith and then reacted like O' crap when he saw no one was back there.

Now another question is if Clark had deep coverage on that side of the field and Gay was man, should he have played an outside technique and force Smith more inside?

papillon
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM

I think all the underneath stuff that was being completed caused Clark to hesitate or even take one step towards the middle of the field before trying to get back into the deep zone and it cost him. It was a calculated risk that didn't pay off. The Ravens killing them the defense with the underneath stuff in that drive.

Just my opinion about what I saw and then on the replay as well.

Pappy

Ghost
11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
After they'd already gone long once, why wouldn't you have Clark line up with his feet on the goal line to ensure no on gets deeper than the last man? Who cares if they get 10 - 15 in the middle.

snarky
11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
By the way, your thread title is highly suggestive. :wink:

Between this and the Helmet-to-Helmet thread, I'm starting to worry about this forum.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
After they'd already gone long once, why wouldn't you have Clark line up with his feet on the goal line to ensure no on gets deeper than the last man? Who cares if they get 10 - 15 in the middle.
+1

TallyStiller
11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Clark is absolutely a weak link in this defense. Overall, the secondary play is vastly improved from a year ago, with the young DB's actually beginning to develop under the tutelage of Carnell Lake (remind me to send Whiz a card thanking him for taking Ray Horton off our hands :wink: )... but Collinsworth was right. Clark IS a throwback to another era, where big hits were more important than cover ability in a safety. Problem is, in this pass first league, Clark's lack of speed keeps getting exposed, with the result that he comes in late and blasts the receiver.

He's kind of like an O Lineman who keeps getting beat and as a result is left no option but grabbing ahold of the pass rusher - overmatched players are frequently penalized players. Unfortunately, the rules and the interpretations thereof aren't going to change anytime soon, so it's going to be left to us to adjust... which is why I think this position may even be a higher priority than O Line going into next year's draft.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Clark is absolutely a weak link in this defense. Overall, the secondary play is vastly improved from a year ago, with the young DB's actually beginning to develop under the tutelage of Carnell Lake (remind me to send Whiz a card thanking him for taking Ray Horton off our hands :wink: )... but Collinsworth was right. Clark IS a throwback to another era, where big hits were more important than cover ability in a safety. Problem is, in this pass first league, Clark's lack of speed keeps getting exposed, with the result that he comes in late and blasts the receiver.

He's kind of like an O Lineman who keeps getting beat and as a result is left no option but grabbing ahold of the pass rusher - overmatched players are frequently penalized players. Unfortunately, the rules and the interpretations thereof aren't going to change anytime soon, so it's going to be left to us to adjust... which is why I think this position may even be a higher priority than O Line going into next year's draft.

ALL of our DB's outside of Troy are late in coverage... they don't play the ball they play the man.

I don't think Clark gets flags because he is bad in coverage... he gets flags because he pops players like a football players is trained to do fall their lives.

NJ-STEELER
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
how is anyone that wide open dropping 8 guys back (debo and worldis picked up the backs)

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger

DukieBoy
11-07-2011, 08:07 PM
The coverage by Gay was terrible, as was the coverage by Clark. I wondered why they had Gay on that guy. Smith is huge and made Gay look small like a 4th grade kid. Even Ike looked small next to Smith (and also Bolden). They have big receivers and I wonder why we did not use bigger DB's on the other WR opposite Ike.

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2011, 08:11 PM
posted by Dale Lolley
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 07, 2011

Steelers-Ravens thoughts II

The main culprits were the secondary.

While William Gay will get tortured because he's everybody's favorite whipping boy and he gave up the game-winning score, Ike Taylor may have been worse in this game.

If not for Torrey Smith's poor hands, it would have been Taylor, not Gay, who allowed the go-ahead score.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ts-ii.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2011/11/steelers-ravens-thoughts-ii.html)

SteelStallion
11-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Gay and Clark can't play in the NFL. They can't cover. If they were cut today they would be unemployed. But the Steeler coaches are in love with these guys and that's it. THe Ravens out coached them for 92 yards to win the game. They drove with Bolden on Gay, they Taylor was put on Bolden and they won with Smith on Gay, a rookie by the way.

It's a shame because that was the best o-line performance of the year.

Shoe
11-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't know how people are saying Clark "can't play" in this league. Granted, he is average at best, in coverage. But he is a dynamic hitter and presence. His play on that last play was AWFUL, granted... but please, he's not the worst Free Safety in the league by any stretch.

Now Gay? He FLAT OUT SUCKS, and that hasn't changed in many years. He must be a wonderful skin flute player, because I have no idea why you'd continue to waste a roster spot on him year after year. Shamefully, I once hoped (when we drafted him) that he'd eventually turn into another Deshea Townsend.

Deshea,
I sincerely apologize. This guy couldn't hold your jock on his best day, and your worst day.
Signed,
Shoe

CanadianSteel
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
"Clark can't play in the NFL"

lol wow. Again, i know we all get crazy after a loss. but we need to keep perspective here. In reality RC is avg at best in coverage and will be exposed time to time. But to say he don't belong in this league is just wrong.

Dee Dub
11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
"Clark can't play in the NFL"

lol wow. Again, i know we all get crazy after a loss. but we need to keep perspective here. In reality RC is avg at best in coverage and will be exposed time to time. But to say he don't belong in this league is just wrong.

Yeah I dont agree with that either. But he is a liability in coverage and as a free safety in this defense, that is his number one priority. In an idea world Clark should be playing at strong safety, which is a more natural position for him.