PDA

View Full Version : This team needs a play maker on defense in the secondary!

Dee Dub
11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
The O-line is shaping into a descent bunch. Still need a LG to replace Kemo but I think that the biggest need on this team going into the upcoming off season is to get a defensive back who can make plays. One who can cause, create, and make turnovers themselves. If Troy Polamalu is going to continue to be used as he is ( and rightfully so), then they either need a free safety who can cover or they need a big time lock down cover corner who can actually take the ball away from the opposing offense.

Morris Claiborne LSU

grotonsteel
11-07-2011, 01:08 PM
The O-line is shaping into a descent bunch. Still need a LG to replace Kemo but I think that the biggest need on this team going into the upcoming off season is to get a defensive back who can make plays. One who can cause, create, and make turnovers themselves. If Troy Polamalu is going to continue to be used as he is ( and rightfully so), then they either need a free safety who can cover or they need a big time lock down cover corner who can actually take the ball away from the opposing offense.

Morris Claiborne LSU

Morris Claiborne would be a great pick but i doubt he drops to us. What about Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska? He would more likely be there when Steelers draft. I would still go with maybe Dont'a Hightower in first Rd and Kelechi Osemele in 2nd.

Is there any ball hawk FS in this draft?? Ryan Clark needs to be replaced.

I would not mind Steelers spending a 1st Rd draft pick on DB/ILB/OG in 2012.

Dee Dub
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Morris Claiborne LSU

Morris Claiborne would be a great pick but i doubt he drops to us. What about Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska? He would more likely be there when Steelers draft. I would still go with maybe Dont'a Hightower in first Rd and Kelechi Osemele in 2nd.

Is there any ball hawk FS in this draft?? Ryan Clark needs to be replaced.

I would not mind Steelers spending a 1st Rd draft pick on DB/ILB/OG in 2012.

Agreed...but why not move up and get him like you did Troy Polamalu a few years ago? He is worth it. Now..I am not advocating trading most of your draft picks for him. I like Dennard but what I want more than anything is elite. Like A Troy Polamalu or a Rod Woodson.

As far as ball hawk safeties are concerned I like the kid from Oklahoma State, Markelle Martin. I have read somewhere that he may run a sub 4.4 40. He hits like a truck but also holds his own in coverage. Now, having said that he hasnt actually been the ball hawk type. I think he has only had a handful of picks over his career but he is used in a lot of ways.

Dresden
11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I think that the biggest need on this team going into the upcoming off season is to get a defensive back who can make plays. One who can cause, create, and make turnovers themselves.

:Agree Been thinking the same thing for years sir. I'm also curious as to how Lewis, Macfadden, and Gay in particular can play so poorly and the kid from Texas (Brown) is not getting a look ? I mean he's a rook sure, ....but his potential play cannot possibly be as bad as Gay's. IMHO it's amazing this guy (Gay) is even in the league. And i say that even to those whom say "he's a solid nickel guy". More often than not he's (Gay) hapless.

steelblood
11-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Claiborne is an awesome pass defender. He gambles a little, but he is a ballhawk. He is a little weak as a run defender and sometimes choses to bail instead of take on ball carriers, but that isn't uncommon for corners. But, as others have said, he will likely be gone by the time we pick.

I like Robert Lester FS Alabama. He is tall and rangy, but changes direction pretty well and covers a lot of ground. I think he will declare and will be a 1st or 2nd round pick. He could play in passing situations right away.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
As far as ball hawk safeties are concerned I like the kid from Oklahoma State, Markelle Martin. I have read somewhere that he may run a sub 4.4 40. He hits like a truck but also holds his own in coverage. Now, having said that he hasnt actually been the ball hawk type. I think he has only had a handful of picks over his career but he is used in a lot of ways.

I know it's a team sprot but OK State isn't known for their great D are they?

papillon
11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
We may have two of them on the roster. I'm hoping Lewis and Allen get more snaps as the season progresses. I think both of them are going to be good quality NFL corners. Plus, they both are good athletes, I wonder if one of them could move to FS with a year's worth of being Clark's understudy?

Pappy

steelz09
11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Ike is a real good corner and he's very underrated.

With that being said, I just wish he would play the ball instead of playing the wide receivers sometimes.

He easily could have won the game on that final drive. Do you guys remember that pass Flacco through deep down the right side? Ike had perfect position, turned around and the ball flew right by him. That should have been a interception if he played the ball just a tad. He was in perfect position to intercept that ball. It was a yard away from hitting him in the helmet... or at least it appeared that way on TV.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Ike is a real good corner and he's very underrated.

With that being said, I just wish he would play the ball instead of playing the wide receivers sometimes.

He easily could have won the game on that final drive. Do you guys remember that pass Flacco through deep down the right side? Ike had perfect position, turned around and the ball flew right by him. That should have been a interception if he played the ball just a tad. He was in perfect position to intercept that ball. It was a yard away from hitting him in the helmet... or at least it appeared that way on TV.

I was screaming on that play.. he just stopped because his man stopped... it's almost like catching or defending the ball is of no concern to him.

If he played the ball he would've had a chance to drop it. :wink:

StarSpangledSteeler
11-07-2011, 04:02 PM
There are 4 or 5 good safeties which should be available to us in the first 2 rounds. The question is, are we better off drafting a top CB and shifting Lewis or Allen to safety?

Dresden
11-07-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a question. If there was nothing at all exceptional about Keenan Lewis in college in terms of athleticism, skill set and production, why should we suddenly expect him to be a stud at the professional level ? (Either at Cb or S)

I'm am of the school that says, "You need a stud player at a particular position,..you tap a stud player at that position via the Draft or FA. Don't take flyers on average or below average project players hoping that they absolutely overacheive.

Leper Friend
11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a question. If there was nothing at all exceptional about Keenan Lewis in college in terms of athleticism, skill set and production, why should we suddenly expect him to be a stud at the professional level ? (Either at Cb or S)

I'm am of the school that says, "You need a stud player at a particular position,..you tap a stud player at that position via the Draft or FA. Don't take flyers on average or below average project players hoping that they absolutely overacheive.
Keenan Lewis has been solid. Not every player has to be "exceptional". From what I've seen so far , he'll make a solid number #2 or #3 for a while.

NJ-STEELER
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
got to wonder what the heck some on here were thinking last year saying they rather have timmons anyway over revis

NJ-STEELER
11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Morris Claiborne LSU

what year is that reid kid in?

loved the way he went after that ball on that play that turned the game around

and he didnt back down from richardson either in the open field

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 07:34 PM
got to wonder what the heck some on here were thinking last year saying they rather have timmons anyway over revis

during the holdout much was said about Revis...

focosteeler
11-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I know he is listed at 5-9 175 but i still want Tyrann Mathieu next year. if he can stay healthy the guy is a game changer

Dee Dub
11-07-2011, 11:35 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":6vd2veef]The O-line is shaping into a descent bunch. Still need a LG to replace Kemo but I think that the biggest need on this team going into the upcoming off season is to get a defensive back who can make plays. One who can cause, create, and make turnovers themselves. If Troy Polamalu is going to continue to be used as he is ( and rightfully so), then they either need a free safety who can cover or they need a big time lock down cover corner who can actually take the ball away from the opposing offense.

Morris Claiborne LSU

and he didnt back down from richardson either in the open field[/quote:6vd2veef]

Oh yes...Eric Reid. He is a sophmore. I like him a lot. He seems to have it all. But that is LSU. They are loaded year after year with tremendous DB's.

I'll also add that Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama is pretty good too. He plays CB.

Dee Dub
11-07-2011, 11:43 PM
I know he is listed at 5-9 175 but i still want Tyrann Mathieu next year. if he can stay healthy the guy is a game changer

I agree...however he has had an off field problem (dirty drug test), and as we saw Saturday he sometimes makes some boneheaded undisciplined plays. Now for the same money take a look at Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson. A very similar player. I'd take Jefferson personally. In a year and half of football (he too is a sophmore), he has 5 sacks, 6 INT's, 12 tackles for loss, 112 tackles, and 11 passes defensed. That's pretty good for a hybrid DB.

grotonsteel
11-08-2011, 01:30 PM

You can never go wrong with a Honey Badger... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

[youtube:8cdlt4eu]4r7wHMg5Yjg[/youtube:8cdlt4eu]

grotonsteel
11-08-2011, 01:37 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2viijulu][quote="Dee Dub":2viijulu]The O-line is shaping into a descent bunch. Still need a LG to replace Kemo but I think that the biggest need on this team going into the upcoming off season is to get a defensive back who can make plays. One who can cause, create, and make turnovers themselves. If Troy Polamalu is going to continue to be used as he is ( and rightfully so), then they either need a free safety who can cover or they need a big time lock down cover corner who can actually take the ball away from the opposing offense.

Morris Claiborne LSU

and he didnt back down from richardson either in the open field[/quote:2viijulu]

Oh yes...Eric Reid. He is a sophmore. I like him a lot. He seems to have it all. But that is LSU. They are loaded year after year with tremendous DB's.

I'll also add that Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama is pretty good too. He plays CB.[/quote:2viijulu]

It would be awesome if Steelers can get hold of Dre Kirkpatrick. What about Stephen Gilmore of South Carolina?

I have seen some mock drafts that has Steelers taking Gilmore.

Dee Dub
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2w5wwft9][quote="Dee Dub":2w5wwft9]The O-line is shaping into a descent bunch. Still need a LG to replace Kemo but I think that the biggest need on this team going into the upcoming off season is to get a defensive back who can make plays. One who can cause, create, and make turnovers themselves. If Troy Polamalu is going to continue to be used as he is ( and rightfully so), then they either need a free safety who can cover or they need a big time lock down cover corner who can actually take the ball away from the opposing offense.

Morris Claiborne LSU

and he didnt back down from richardson either in the open field

I'll also add that Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama is pretty good too. He plays CB.[/quote:2w5wwft9]

It would be awesome if Steelers can get hold of Dre Kirkpatrick. What about Stephen Gilmore of South Carolina?

I have seen some mock drafts that has Steelers taking Gilmore.[/quote:2w5wwft9]

Early in the year I was very high on Gilmore and still like his ability, however, I haven't seem him take it to the next level this year. He hasnt made a lot of plays. I do not think he is in that Claiborne, Kirkpatrick class. Two guys who have enough to come in and contribute/start right away.

Dresden
11-09-2011, 12:15 AM
If we're talking F/S as the much needed replacement for Clark,.....i'm gonna with the Winston Guy kid out of Kentucky. Reminds me a little of Carnell Lake.

hawaiiansteel
11-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I agree with you Dee Dub...

the long TD catch by AJ Green is a great example: Troy and Ryan Clark are both in deep coverage against him but neither safety makes a play while Green does. if we had a ball-hawking FS that should have been an interception or at least an incompletion instead of a TD reception that lets the Bengals cut a 14-0 deficit in half to 14-7 and lets them back into the game.

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2011, 03:17 PM
that was a terrible play by clark

WTF was he doing there

jj28west
11-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Didnt it look like as if Troy thought Clark was in position to make a play on the ball?

Maybe Clark was afraid of hurting Green?

jj28west
11-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Sorta unrelated but Cortez Allen is a player and has the "it" factor. There may be instances this year where he may look lost and be out of position but the game will slow down for him like it did for Troy.

NorthCoast
11-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I was listening to the Bumgals broadcast on radio. Commentators mentioned a couple of times the Steelers defenders were not even attempting to make a play on the balls, instead just trying to bat them down. This is just evidence of the league-low interception rate by DBs. We have no one besides Troy attacking the ball when it is in the air.
If teams don't have to fear an interception but only an incompletion, there is a lot less intimidation in the passing game. The odd thing is the Steelers have statistically one of the better pass defenses in the league. Still I think problems lurk below the surface.

Discipline of Steel
11-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I was listening to the Bumgals broadcast on radio. Commentators mentioned a couple of times the Steelers defenders were not even attempting to make a play on the balls, instead just trying to bat them down. This is just evidence of the league-low interception rate by DBs. We have no one besides Troy attacking the ball when it is in the air.
If teams don't have to fear an interception but only an incompletion, there is a lot less intimidation in the passing game. The odd thing is the Steelers have statistically one of the better pass defenses in the league. Still I think problems lurk below the surface.

Big Play Willie Gay!!! :tt1

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Sorta unrelated but Cortez Allen is a player and has the "it" factor. There may be instances this year where he may look lost and be out of position but the game will slow down for him like it did for Troy.

i agree

get him on the field

drprwnap
11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
This team needs a playmaker ANYWHERE on defense!

SteelAbility
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Big Play Willie Gay!!! :tt1

Let's hope that becomes his (deserved) nickname. :Cheers