PDA

View Full Version : If We Still Had Skippy...

BradshawsHairdresser
11-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Jeff Reed faced the ire of Steelers fans, including me, many times over his tenure here...but if he were still on this team, do you think Tomlin would have tried the 47-yarder last night?

Ghost
11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Reed from 5 years ago - absolutely go for it and I don't think any of us are worried even a little bit.

Reed from right before the Steelers cut him, tough to tell. May have tried but certainly would not have had confidence - maybe 50-50 he makes it into the bad end of the field.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Tomlin was attemptng the FG. He hesitated because the field position he would have given them if they missed but he was kicking the ball. He sent them out late and to compound it didn't watch the play clock and call the TO to avoid the penalty.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Tomlin was attemptng the FG. He hesitated because the field position he would have given them if they missed but he was kicking the ball. He sent them out late and to compound it didn't watch the play clock and call the TO to avoid the penalty.

Then he ought to be called out big time. That's a rookie mistake, and he hasn't been a rookie for a few years.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Then he ought to be called out big time. That's a rookie mistake, and he hasn't been a rookie for a few years.

I agree. He took responsibilty in the post game press conference. But I'm the type of guy who doesn't want to hear "I'm sorry", "My fault", "It is on me" all the time. He wasn't sure if he wanted to try the FG or punt...That's fine. But don't compound it by getting a penalty after you send the FG team out late and take a delay of game penalty when you are sitting on TOs. If you make the decision to kick the FG...Protect the field position. He can call a TO by grabbing any official. On him to watch the clock.

aggiebones
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Tough call either way. Certainly should have used a TO to ponder it. You can kick and make or miss. One guarantees you at least OT or giving them great field position to try their run. Or pin them deep. The error was not running the ball straight ahead on the play before to give them another yard or two, then just run him out for a 45 yarder. The mind plays tricks on you outside of 45 yards. 45 and in is a no brainer.
There were multiple gaffs late in that game.
Giving Flacco, a top 15 QB a full 92 yards was bad too.
LOOOOOOOOOOOTS of people to blame.
Falls on Tomlin, but he is not alone, he's just a figure head of the total failure. Given the situation again, which may be true in a few weeks in the playoffs, I'll still ride with Lebeau, Tomlin and Bruce. They've had these failings before but keep battling. Our personnel has failings too, like all teams and they mask them for the most part.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 12:37 PM
was the delay of game penalty planned to get more room for the punt or an actual bad penalty?

I watched a few games yesterday and it seems like the delay of game penalty is catching teams by surprise at odd times in the game.

papillon
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
There's no need to call a timeout, unless, of course, you're going to actually try the FG. I don't think at anytime during his thought process did he envision giving Suisham a chance at a 47 yard FG. The play clock expiring was no big deal, you move back and punt the ball to the 8 yard line and force them to go 92 yards with just over 2 mins and 1 timeout.

The punt is the correct call, IMO. The defense couldn't get a stop, it happens. The offense couldn't get one more 1st down, it happens. The Steelers lost the game. The players will move on and get ready for Cincy and the fans will b1tch and moan for 6 days.

I was begging for the play clock to expire and not attempt the FG. The defense was amped from their previous series when they got the 3 and out. I had confidence that they would do it again, but they couldn't bring the energy from the previous series into the last.

Pappy

grotonsteel
11-07-2011, 12:55 PM
47 yarder in open end of the stadium is a tough one especially with Sushi kicking. Instead of giving them a great field positin he opted to pin them down. I thought it was the correct call.

Tomlin trusted his so called No.1 Pass Defense to prevent Flacco from going 80-90 yards but Defense laid a big egg.

phillyesq
11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
There's no need to call a timeout, unless, of course, you're going to actually try the FG. I don't think at anytime during his thought process did he envision giving Suisham a chance at a 47 yard FG. The play clock expiring was no big deal, you move back and punt the ball to the 8 yard line and force them to go 92 yards with just over 2 mins and 1 timeout.

The punt is the correct call, IMO. The defense couldn't get a stop, it happens. The offense couldn't get one more 1st down, it happens. The Steelers lost the game. The players will move on and get ready for Cincy and the fans will b1tch and moan for 6 days.

I was begging for the play clock to expire and not attempt the FG. The defense was amped from their previous series when they got the 3 and out. I had confidence that they would do it again, but they couldn't bring the energy from the previous series into the last.

Pappy

:Agree

Very well said Pappy.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Tomlin said in his press conference he was kicking the FG. He hesitated because of everything we said but because of him hesitating he sent the FG team out late. It wasn't his intention to punt it on 4th & 5 from the 29. Tunch said he even thought against punting initially because a touchback would have only netted 9 yards. If he did decide to punt it taking the penalty was smart to give more room but all comments from the horses mouth was he was kicking. If he was going to punt, he should have lined up quickly & tried to draw them off and take the penalty & maybe even pooch it with BB if Reed didn't go back. Sounds like going for it on 4th & 5, punting, & field goal was all running through his head with the play clock ticking. A timeout with 1 second on the clock sounds like it would have made sense.

snarky
11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I see why some are saying the punt is the correct call - I would have preferred to go for the FG.

However, the whole sequence is a mistake. Tomlin should have known during the time-out between second and third down if he was willing to attempt a FG from that distance.

Love Tomlin as a coach but he needs to improve on how he is handling his time-outs/clock management. He had two glaring mistakes last year (Atlanta and Green Bay) and made one last night.

Eich
11-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Pappy

Was the problem that our Defense ran out of energy?

Or was the problem that the Rats abandoned the run and the Steelers D just can't stop an all-out passing attack when Flacco (or any decent) is on a roll?

I was in a complete state of shock when they went right down the field for 92 yards and a TD in the final seconds. It must have been like a funeral at the stadium. That's one game I'm glad I was not there to experience first hand.

When the final shots were being taken in the end zone, we probably would have been better off mugging the receivers and getting another Pass Interference penalty and taking our chances with another goal line stand.

steelz09
11-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I think the call could go both ways.

You have a defense that should have been able to make a play in order to stop them from marching 92 yards. I was not impressed w/ the defensive effort outside of Polamalu and especially Harrison.

Polamalu was limited because he had to play the LB role for the majority of the game.

With that being said, we should have kicked the FG imo. As Herm Edwards would say... "You play to win the game". You make that FG, game over... Steelers win. It's as simple as that.

I still say kick the FG even though I think our kicker sucks. I don't think he has the leg to kick in Heinz Field or as well as other stadiums especially when the weather starts getting bad. I think when he's 40+ yards out, he tries to overcompensate for his weak leg which makes his accuracy decline significantly.

Big games, especially in the playoffs are decided by field goals. If your not confident (I'm certainly not) that your kicker can't make those, then you need to look for a new kicker. I would've given him the shot because that's what he's expected to do....But if Tomlin is "on the edge" about even giving him that opportunity, then why not get a new kicker?