PDA

View Full Version : Who do you blame

drprwnap
11-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I really hate to use that word but .......

1. The offense for not converting a game-clutching 1st down late in the 4th quarter?

2. The defense for giving up a 92 yard TD scoring drive at the end?

3. The coaching staff for the delay of game that costs us a chance at a FG that would have put us up by 7?

Please don't answer all because if one of these is not above, (especially the first two) we win the game (or at least go to O.T.).

rpmpit
11-07-2011, 08:37 AM
On #3... no confidence that we'd make that 47 yarder if we don't get the delay penalty. At the time, I thought the better option was punting it away anyway. No way I thought our D would give up that long drive :evil:

Steelers>NFL
11-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Sorry, it is ALL on the DEFENSE. Or lack-of. Especially 3rd downs. Flat out killed the Steelers. They made Flacco look elite.

SteelBucks
11-07-2011, 08:57 AM
On #3... no confidence that we'd make that 47 yarder if we don't get the delay penalty. At the time, I thought the better option was punting it away anyway. No way I thought our D would give up that long drive :evil:

I agree. I didn't have any confidence in Suisham and did not want to give the Ravens a short field to work with. Turns out it didn't matter.

Mel Blount's G
11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Might throw "coaching" in there for #2? We gave up on pass rushing and went 5 DB's every single frickin' play of that last drive. Our "prevent" D once again prevented us from winning.

S'okay though. We will tear their hearts out & knock their d!cks in the dirt when we eliminate them in the post season on their own turf. :twisted: :ratsuck

SteelBucks
11-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Might throw "coaching" in there for #2? We gave up on pass rushing and went 5 DB's every single frickin' play of that last drive. Our "prevent" D once again prevented us from winning.

S'okay though. We will tear their hearts out & knock their d!cks in the dirt when we eliminate them in the post season on their own turf. :twisted: :ratsuck

I don't think they were playing Prevent. It was a Cover 2. It was to easy for the Ravens regardless the coverage....92 yards in 2+ minutes. WTF?

JAR
11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
the offense had the lead and the win. It was up to the defense to protect it and they didn't.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 09:15 AM
92 yards.. 1 timeout and they didn't even have to use it.

That loss reminded me of 2009.

Scarletfire1970
11-07-2011, 09:29 AM
U have to blame the defense. They r supposed to b one of the best in the league. U have to make that stop. That wasn't Aaron Rodgers and the packers offense

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
U have to blame the defense. They r supposed to b one of the best in the league. U have to make that stop. That wasn't Aaron Rodgers and the packers offense

We sure made the Raven's look like the Packer offense yesterday. 14 of 21 on 3rd down... big WR's out running are small corners, a few deep drops by their WR's when they were wide open...

Also have to give Ben a little blame on that awful INT to Suggs...

It was real crowded on the right side and Suggs is right at the LOS, not sure why we would try that play given the way the D was lined up.

NorCal-Steeler
11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Blame DJ for dropping a pass in the flat that hits him in the hands and would have burned another 35 seconds off the clock.

feltdizz
11-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Blame DJ for dropping a pass in the flat that hits him in the hands and would have burned another 35 seconds off the clock.

true... I was listening on the radio when that drop happened but it sounded like he was open and looked up field before securing the ball.

phillyesq
11-07-2011, 09:41 AM

I agree. I didn't have any confidence in Suisham and did not want to give the Ravens a short field to work with. Turns out it didn't matter.

It is a combination of the three.

If David Johnson makes the catch on first down the Ravens either burn a timeout or the Steelers run more clock. I didn't like the call or execution on third down. If nobody was wide open for a safe, high percentage throw, I would have rather seen Ben take as much time as possible and then give himself up. That's part on the offense, part on coaching.

I also had no confidence in Suisham. Between Suisham and the D, you have to trust the D.

I was disappointed in the results, but the D wasn't playing prevent. Flacco got the ball out quickly and the pass rush didn't get there. Would have been nice to see a blitz from a DB to get some fresher legs -- pass rush was gassed.

The use of Polamalu was strange. When it was clear that the Ravens were in striking distance, I'd rather see him blitz or play deep. Having him cover Rice on intermediate routes in the middle of the field did not seem to be the best use of his abilities.

Scarletfire1970
11-07-2011, 09:43 AM
The offense can't b blamed. They gave the defense the lead and asked for one stop. If u can't handle one stop against a ravens offense you r not a top defense and you shouldn't be paid like one. Put the money in the offense if u want them to carry the team.

snarky
11-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Ten points given up on two minute drives is not a good night out for the D.

And as little confidence as I had in Suisham to make the kick (I would have given him a 25% chance to make it), I still would have liked to see him try. Even with the full length of the field to go, I don't know how much difference there is between giving the ball over at the 35 or the 5. It seems like most times I see a team starting deep in their own end on a make-or-break drive, they will get the first 20 yards or so pretty easily, anyway.

I would rather have seen us take the chance to push the lead to seven and live with the shortened field in case of a miss, at least if we gave up the TD after a miss, we would maybe have had 30 or 40 seconds to work with for another FG attempt.

I hope we get a rematch in the playoffs.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Well...It was the Ravens. They are a good team...And sometimes you get beat by a better team. Last night, the Ravens were the better team.

Blame? Easy.

#1 would be BB. He will tell you that too. You can't turn the ball over. BB did when the Steelers were going in to score on the opening drive of the 2nd half. Great play by Suggs but if you are going to use you head to pull the coverage you have to see the throw when you come back.

#2 Tomlin. Getting a delay of game penalty going for a field goal? Game time/management falls on the HC because he has the abilty to tell a ref TO. He is always the "fail safe" especially when your QB is not on the field. They were lining up. Who knows what they were planning but by the odds he is kicking the FG that would have made it a 7 point ball game.

I know alot are saying defense because of the last drive. I will put some on them along with DL. Before I say anything negative..Props to the front 7. Great game Silverback! Worilds name wasn't mentioned much but he held his own. Foote played well as did Timmons. Defensive Line was very impressive....All of them. Take away the first play...They didn't flinch at the Ravens.

To the bad. I'm going to be critical of a guy who has been playing lights out and deserving of all the praise he has been receiving. He is having a Pro Bowl type of year. There is a big difference between having a bad game and taking plays off. Anyone who "balled" knows what I'm talking about and may have seen it too. It is obvious that Taylor is hearing the media and reading the print because he let his "rep" play for him on several plays. I love the guy but if I was his coach...I am having a meeting with him today behind closed doors. I hate nothing more to see a guy take a play off "because" he doesn't think the ball will come his way. Even though it was a hand full of plays I could see on the broadcast...He got lucky on one and could have got the Steelers D off the field twice on 3rd down. I would love to be able to see the coaches tape...I get the feeling Taylor is hoping the coaches don't see it. Little disappointed in him but I know he will rebound.

The other...Maybe not all on him...But it is clearly obvious to me where Williams Gay strengths & weaknesses are. He has been playing very well to date. But DL has to put him in his best match-ups. He can not play a physical WR. And notice I said "WR". He can play with a TE who wants to get physical but if he matched up with a WR who wants to bump him of the line or lean on him in his route...He doesn't have the recovery speed or stature to get himself back in position. You don't see what he is lacking against a TE because he can run better then him but you will see TEs use their size with an accurate QB. I think Lewis has really made his case to start opposite Taylor. I think Gay's play is an asset in the right situations and DL needs to make sure he puts Gay in those situations.

While I mentioned Lewis, I liked what I saw out of him, Allen, & Mundy. Stepped up to the challange again. Troy and Clark had solid games for the most part but I won't give Clark a clear pass because I think he made a big mistake on the TD pass at the end.

Time to move on...Bengals game is even bigger than the Ravens game now. The Steelers CAN NOT put themselves 3rd in the division and suffer a 3rd division loss. They clearly do not control their own fate to win the division but they still control their fate in the playoff hunt. Get a win...Get to the bye...Get healthy. Gut check time.

Starlifter
11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
in a loss like this it's tempting to point to one or two critical plays - but i'm going to take a step back and put this loss on the special teams.

1. great returns for good field position. we kick off with 1 minute left in the first half. suisham can't drive it deep and they return to the 35. pin them deep or give them a touchback and maybe they don't take a chance. that was a critical last second FG.

2. Tomlin was making all the excuses for not trying the FG. His reasoning was sound - but that's the problem. I was deeply concerned we would need a 45 yard FG from suisham to win the game, and that he would miss. It's clear Tomlin (justifiably) has no confidence in the kicker beyond 45 yards. If you have to think twice about taking a shot at that FG - then it's time to start working out some kickers again.

I must admit however, it's really really hard not to look at a defense who let them drive 92 yards in two minutes and didn't even force them to use their one remaining timeout. my god, that was joe flacco - not aaron rodgers.

I think we need to win 6-7 to take the division now. 11-5 probably still gets a wildcard.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-07-2011, 10:56 AM
in a loss like this it's tempting to point to one or two critical plays - but i'm going to take a step back and put this loss on the special teams.

1. great returns for good field position. we kick off with 1 minute left in the first half. suisham can't drive it deep and they return to the 35. pin them deep or give them a touchback and maybe they don't take a chance. that was a critical last second FG.

2. Tomlin was making all the excuses for not trying the FG. His reasoning was sound - but that's the problem. I was deeply concerned we would need a 45 yard FG from suisham to win the game, and that he would miss. It's clear Tomlin (justifiably) has no confidence in the kicker beyond 45 yards. If you have to think twice about taking a shot at that FG - then it's time to start working out some kickers again.

I must admit however, it's really really hard not to look at a defense who let them drive 92 yards in two minutes and didn't even force them to use their one remaining timeout. my god, that was joe flacco - not aaron rodgers.

I think we need to win 6-7 to take the division now. 11-5 probably still gets a wildcard.

You do realize that saying the Steelers need to win 6 out of 7 also means the ravens have to drop 3 out of their 8 remaining games and the one loss of the Steelers can't be against the Bengals right? The Steelers need to beat the Bengals Sunday or their playoff hopes take a serious hit.

flippy
11-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I blame Brown for not returning a kick to the house.

pittpete
11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
A SLOW RYAN CLARK :x

Northern_Blitz
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd say 2 more than 1. We would have won if we could have converted one more first down, but that would have been winning despite terrible 3rd down defense.

The O looked great in the second half. Too bad about the int, but that was a great play by the Ravens best defender.

It's amazing how much better JF looked this week when compared to Tom Brady last week. Imagine how much better he would have looked if his WRs could catch (actually, it would have been better if they scored with 30-some seconds left than 8. Maybe we could have tied it with a FG.

I don't think you can blame the coaches for not kicking the FG. Our GF kicker sucks from distance, and kicking a 47 yarder into the open end of the field is not easy. I think at that time making them go 92 yards after we totally owned them the previous series was the right call.

chiken
11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I will blame the offense. We went 3 and out at a crucial point in the game and sent our old defense back out on the field. If you guys havent figured it out by now - when you send our Defense back on the field after a long stand, and the offense goes 3 and out - they ALWAYS get scored on. They were gassed.

We Needed a first down, We needed to make the Ravens burn more Time outs.. They were playing the pass and Mendy was running pretty decent on Early downs but we did not take advantage.

The Entire offense in their last Drive reminded of the last drive in last years Super bowl.. No Real go to guy - No body making a play when we need it.. Confusion.. (Moore didnt even turn around on that play and Johnson just straight dropped the ball - both times killing the clock) Why not run something to Heath who has sure hands.

We gained no yards and gave the ball with the Momentum back to the Ravens. Why are you guys acting surprised that they drove the field.. they did it to us last year. (and this year we werent even healthy on Defense)

Offense needed to close the game out. Bottom line - Ben is our leader. (i'm not bashing Ben, Lord knows i love the guy - but this one was his to lose)

feltdizz
11-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I will blame the offense. We went 3 and out at a crucial point in the game and sent our old defense back out on the field. If you guys havent figured it out by now - when you send our Defense back on the field after a long stand, and the offense goes 3 and out - they ALWAYS get scored on. They were gassed.

Long stand? The D was on the field for 3 plays, from 4:49 to 4:30 on the previous drive. What long stand are you talking about?

The D wasn't gassed they got beat.... no excuses.

The O needs to get a 1st down or burn more clock but the D wasn't gassed from the prior defensive stand.

chiken
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Long stand? The D was on the field for 3 plays, from 4:49 to 4:30 on the previous drive. What long stand are you talking about?

The O needs to get a 1st down or burn more clock but the D wasn't gassed from the prior defensive stand.

LAst 3 Drives - we ran 14 plays - 2 of them were at the end of the game so basicaly 12
They Ran 26 plays. They go 3 and out and then we come back and run 6 plays for 19 yards.. taking 2 minutes off the clock before handing the ball back over to them. Our last 3 drives took a total of 4 min and 29 seconds. The Ravens had the ball for Double that time and thats including their 3 and out.

Not making any excuses just being a Realist.

We have had 4th qtr last drive letdowns for a couple of years.. We are old and it always shows at the end of big games.

We manhandled the Pats Offense because we had a ton of Long drives throughout that game.. This Allows for our Defense to Rest (Troy basically said this a few years ago but people just kinda ignored it)

papillon
11-08-2011, 02:35 PM

The defensive linemen were gassed you could see it their pass rush. They barely made a push against the offensive linemen. Personally, based on the energy they expended on the previous drive to get a 3 and out, I think they believed they had won the game right there and weren't going to have to go on the field again.

That 3 and out was as much intensity as I've ever seen 11 guys expend for three plays. You could tell they believed that a stop right there and the game was theirs. They got it and believed that the offense would do what it needed to do.

When they went back on the field for the final drive there wasn't nearly the intensity or energy that they had given the previous 3 plays they were on the field.

Pappy