PDA

View Full Version : This is the 4th straight year...

Sonny
11-07-2011, 03:20 AM
That we were 6-2 heading into a HOME game against another AFC Power, be it a division rival or Conference rival. We ended up 6-3 in all 4.

In the 2 of those that the team was outside of our division, we made the Super Bowl. The one time that it was a division rival completing the season sweep? It was the start of a 5 game losing streak. The Steelers haven't made the playoffs after getting swept by anyone since Chuck Noll was coaching.

papillon
11-07-2011, 06:08 AM
That we were 6-2 heading into a HOME game against another AFC Power, be it a division rival or Conference rival. We ended up 6-3 in all 4.

In the 2 of those that the team was outside of our division, we made the Super Bowl. The one time that it was a division rival completing the season sweep? It was the start of a 5 game losing streak. The Steelers haven't made the playoffs after getting swept by anyone since Chuck Noll was coaching.

That doesn't bode well for this team at all and that's an interesting factoid.

Pappy

eniparadoxgma
11-07-2011, 06:13 AM
That's the reversed gambler's fallacy. We'll be in the playoffs.

papillon
11-07-2011, 06:34 AM

And, what Gambler's law or theorem are you using to determine that the Steelers will be in the playoffs? :P

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
11-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Pappy

Still, you have to like our chances for the playoffs. IMO, the only way we don't make it is if we lose both to the Bengals (and even then we could finish with 11 wins). We should all be cheering for the Jets / Bills so that the Pats are fighting for a wild card (and we have the tie breaker).

steelblood
11-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Our final games.

Moderately tough
@Bengals, Bengals, @49ers

Easier
@Cleveland, Cleveland, St. Louis, @KC

I think 5-2 is a pretty good bet.

That would leave us 11-5.

4-3 is a possibility. We'd need help to get in at that point.

But, that is a pretty easy schedule. Even the good teams that we will play are not top tier. If we can stay relatively healthy, we should make the playoffs.

Steeler Shades
11-07-2011, 12:06 PM

If those two losses are against the Bungles, an 11-5 record will not get us into the playoffs.

grotonsteel
11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Its 2009 all over. :(

snarky
11-07-2011, 12:10 PM

If those two losses are against the Bungles, an 11-5 record will not get us into the playoffs.

I agree with you 95%, but it really depends on what happens in the AFCE. I think there's an outside chance both wild-cards come out of the AFCN.

Sonny
11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Bottom line, if we handle our business against the Bengals, we are good.

We are in a little situation now though. If we lose at Cincy, and we just might, then we are 6-4 behind two 7-2 teams, a far cry from leading the division at 6-2 coming off of a huge win vs the Patriots just two weeks earlier.

winwithd
11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Cincinnati is about to go into the tank. I could see next week's game being something like 35-3 if Sanders and Woodley are back.

Sf is a running team first and pass off of that. We will shut down the run and take over the game when SF is forced to pass.

Starlifter
11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
until flacco actually wins a Super Bowl - you'll never convince me he's an elite QB. There's just been too much inconstancy - you only have to look at the jags/1st quarter against the cards to see it. In other words, the rats could easily lose 2-3 games the rest of the way. and truth be told - if we didn't win the division I like our chances playing in baltimore. the excitement of knocking them out of the playoffs AGAIN on their home turf is something the steelers would relish.

skyhawk
11-08-2011, 03:13 AM
The Bengals are on fire this year, by their standards. They will be ready to play this weekend. I am very concerned folks.

steelnavy
11-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Pappy

Didn't the Steelers get swept by the Bungals prior to starting their revenge tour in the playoffs (against the Bungals) to bring Ben his first SB trophy?

Would love to see the Steelers knock off the Rats in their Stadium.

Sonny
11-08-2011, 04:44 PM
The Steelers split with the Bengals that year. Someone has that avatar of Hines dancing after he scored a TD at Cincy. The game wasn't even close, but, in typical fashion, we did lose the bigger home game against them several weeks later that cost us the division.

eniparadoxgma
11-08-2011, 10:28 PM

And, what Gambler's law or theorem are you using to determine that the Steelers will be in the playoffs? :P

Pappy

Why the "STEELERS WILL DESTROY EVERYONE FROM HERE ON OUT" theorem, of course. (Not sure how that relates to gambling, but there it is :) ".

SteelAbility
11-08-2011, 11:39 PM
The Bengals are on fire this year, by their standards. They will be ready to play this weekend. I am very concerned folks.

The Bengals have a 6-2 record against ...

CLE 3-5
DEN 3-5
SF 7-1
BUF 5-3
JAX 2-6
IND 0-9
SEA 2-6
TEN 4-4

... with a collective record of 24 - 39 (0.381).

This team would be 4-4 with average (0.500) opponents. So, basically they are an average team. I like our chances against that.