PDA

View Full Version : First play hold

Mister Pittsburgh
11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
They did not add the 10 yards to make it first & 20! Was still 10!

NJ-STEELER
11-07-2011, 01:03 AM
foul occurred 10 yards down the field

pittpete
11-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Was a terrible call IMHO.
So was the non call on Antonio Brown when the DB grabbed and turned his hips and the phantom hold on Max Starks on a run play midgame.
Clark was helmet to helmet & he needs to adjust his game.
Also how the FU-K does Gay get called for PI on the Smith TD to win the game.

steelblood
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
So was the non call on Antonio Brown when the DB grabbed and turned his hips and the phantom hold on Max Starks on a run play midgame.

gAy was holding and interfering the entire game. he was outmatched by smith. we should have let Lewis try. At least Lewis could turn and run with him.

ikestops85
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM

I agree with everything except about Clark. The guy plays the game as a straight up hitter. As the announcers mentioned only a couple of years ago that play would have been a model hit. It looked like he was aiming his shoulder right where the ball was coming and his helmet made contact with the receivers helmet. These plays are unavoidable just like the hits on Ward and Brown. The problem is those hits didn't draw the flags.

On the Rats last TD when I saw the flag I was cheering. I saw Smith push off of Gay so I just knew they were calling offensive PI. Wow, was I wrong. At worst that play should have been off-setting PI calls.

Oh well, this just gives us more of a chip on our shoulders when we meet them again in the playoffs.

:tt2 :tt2

pittpete
11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
a couple of years ago that play would have been a model hit

And I wish it still was, but they changed it and the refs are told when in doubt throw the flag.
So Clark has to stop leading with his helmet.
He could have the same brutal impact if he goes a foot lower

steelz09
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM

:Agree

We had more poor calls or non-calls by the refs. However, we did get lucky on that first play... even with the hold, where were the LBs and the defensive line? Our CB has to make that tackle.. that's not good.

papillon
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM

:Agree

We had more poor calls or non-calls by the refs. However, we did get lucky on that first play... even with the hold, where were the LBs and the defensive line? Our CB has to make that tackle.. that's not good.

I don't know where the LBs or D-line were on that play, but after that play there wasn't any running room for Rice or Williams. They adjusted quickly I suppose.

Pappy

pittpete
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
gAy was holding and interfering the entire game. he was outmatched by smith. we should have let Lewis try. At least Lewis could turn and run with him.

I call BS, because I saw it happening all night by both teams.
Ike Taylor was mugging Boldin on a few plays and on the TD where Wallace came across the front of the Endzone, the defender was grabbing him all the way to the goaline.
Also Smith pushed Gay slightly b4 the catch just to knock him off balance enough.
Rewatch it if you can.

It is scary that the refs can control the games like this on a judgement call with no consistency...

DukieBoy
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM

I call BS, because I saw it happening all night by both teams.
Ike Taylor was mugging Boldin on a few plays and on the TD where Wallace came across the front of the Endzone, the defender was grabbing him all the way to the goaline.
Also Smith pushed Gay slightly b4 the catch just to knock him off balance enough.
Rewatch it if you can.

It is scary that the refs can control the games like this on a judgement call with no consistency...

The game officiating was uneven, lots of missed calls and some porr decisions. And I still can't fathom that so-called completion that Tomlin challenged and lost. That was no catch.

In any case, we lost, we got beat, we had a lead we did not hold due to poor play when the game was on the line.

Shoe
11-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I agree with everything except about Clark. The guy plays the game as a straight up hitter. As the announcers mentioned only a couple of years ago that play would have been a model hit. It looked like he was aiming his shoulder right where the ball was coming and his helmet made contact with the receivers helmet. These plays are unavoidable just like the hits on Ward and Brown. The problem is those hits didn't draw the flags.

I'm glad you caught that. When they slowed it down, you could clearly see Clark leading with his shoulder. I hope they realize this, and don't fine him. It's practically impossible to be running at that speed, trying to run into a moving target itself, and not lead "with your head". After all, the head is attached to the SHOULDER... and he was leading with the SHOULDER.