PDA

View Full Version : Harrison starting vs. Ratbirds

pittpete
11-06-2011, 10:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -keep-pace (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/35124/warm-up-will-bengals-keep-pace)

STEELERS: The Steelers will be without LaMarr Woodley, but they'll get back one of their top pass-rushers in James Harrison. Originally cut by the Ravens early in his career, Harrison has been troublemaker for the Ravens over the years. In eight meetings, he has six sacks and one interception against Baltimore. :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Wow, that's great, I hope he is in Steel whip-like shape.

So, Timmons moves inside again. What other changes from last week ... does Foote stay on the field ... who comes off to make room for Harrison?

EDIT: Here's the answer to my own question, from Hawaiian on this thread started by Pappy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19303 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19303) :

Looking better at linebacker

SATURDAY, 05 NOVEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

It’s been a good week of practice for the Steelers. They went from the probability of having none of their top four linebackers at their regular positions in the starting lineup to having four of their top six linebackers ready to go and in their proper positions for the crucial game tomorrow night against the Baltimore Ravens.

It’s still a game-time decision on right outside linebacker James Harrison, but the Steelers went from looking like this from left to right on the linebacker depth chart:

Chris Carter, Stevenson Sylvester, Larry Foote, Lawrence Timmons.

To this: Jason Worilds, Foote, Timmons, Harrison.

In the first group, only Timmons was a starter but he was out of position at right outside linebacker.

With the second group, Worilds is the team’s top replacement at outside linebacker and there’s a good chance he would have replaced Harrison, instead of moving Timmons over from the inside, if had had not been hurt at the same time.

Timmons and Harrison will be starting at their regular positions and Foote, in place of James Farrior. But Foote, a former starter, had been getting significant playing time even when the Steelers were at full strength.

Harrison is scheduled to see a doctor today to get final word on his availability and the status of the broken orbital bone that has kept him out of the lineup for four games. The Steelers are listing his as probable, which technically means he has a 75 percent chance of playing.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... linebacker

SteelAbility
11-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about Harrison starting. I think it can go both ways. He's a tremendous physical presence. But the Steelers D has looked much better without him. It's difficult to tell if the difference is cause-and-effect or incidental. I am bummed about Woodley though. He was really git-n-r done.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about Harrison starting. I think it can go both ways. He's a tremendous physical presence. But the Steelers D has looked much better without him. It's difficult to tell if the difference is cause-and-effect or incidental. I am bummed about Woodley though. He was really git-n-r done.

Completely incidental. Timmons was awful playing at Harrison's OLB spot, so Harrison's return improves 2 spots (Harrison outside and Timmons inside). If Harrison was unable to go this week, we'd have to start Chris Carter at OLB. Does anyone want that? Really?

focosteeler
11-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Completely incidental. Timmons was awful playing at Harrison's OLB spot, so Harrison's return improves 2 spots (Harrison outside and Timmons inside). If Harrison was unable to go this week, we'd have to start Chris Carter at OLB. Does anyone want that? Really?

:Agree Timmons was almost a non-factor playing in Harrisons spot. If we wouldve had harrison during the past couple weeks i think the D wouldve done better than it did

Pahn711
11-06-2011, 11:49 AM

How quickly people forget....No linebacker has made more big time splash plays over the last few years than Harrison, hes our best linebacker. The whole defense looked bad at the beginning of the year, you can't really blame that on him (he was averaging around 5 tackles a game and had two sacks-not bad).

As long as he was able to keep working out and his physical conditioning is up to par, make no mistake that this will be a tremendous boon with Woodley out

Slapstick
11-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Please, Timmons wasn't awful at OLB...

His biggest flaw was not being James Harrison...

While he made no splash plays at OLB, he obviously wasn't too much of a weak link...the defense is still 2nd in the NFL and the Steelers went 4-0 with him there...

Shoe
11-06-2011, 01:27 PM

While he made no splash plays at OLB, he obviously wasn't too much of a weak link...the defense is still 2nd in the NFL and the Steelers went 4-0 with him there...

Exactly.
Timmons played well enough that our defense thrived with him at ROLB. Granted he didn't make the mark pass-rushing that 92 does, but calling his play awful is awful IMO. As for Harrison, I felt him playing through his back problems slowed him down. I also thought that the eye-injury was a blessing in disguise (not a blessing--can't think of a better way to say it... obviously, you don't want to have en injury like that to your face), allowing his back to properly heal.

We'll see if I'm right.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-06-2011, 03:40 PM

The Steelers got super lucky in 2007. Harrison surprised the world. That moved Timmons to ILB where he could actually succeed. I don't care what anyone says, the Steelers originally drafted Timmons to play ROLB.

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
The Steelers got super lucky in 2007. Harrison surprised the world. That moved Timmons to ILB where he could actually succeed. I don't care what anyone says, the Steelers originally drafted Timmons to play ROLB.

that would make sense since Timmons played OLB in college. I believe what happened is the Steelers never thought LaMarr Woodley would be there in Round 2 and when he was you now had Woodley and Deebo at OLB and they needed to find their #1 draft choice a place to play.

Pahn711
11-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't care what anyone says, the Steelers originally drafted Timmons to play ROLB.

I seem to remember Tomlin and Coach Butler saying when Timmons was drafted that they would try him out and see where he fits best. The talk from the beginning seemed to be that he had the speed to cover the deep middle of the field like how middle linebackers are used in the Tampa 2 (which speculation at the time eluded to Tomlin wanting to switch to that).

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 12:48 AM
James Harrison and Squatting

by CRAIG WOLFLEY on NOVEMBER 8, 2011

James Harrison has been a monster for a long time. After suffering through two back surgeries in the off-season i learned up at training camp he had been squatting with a barbell on his back with 315lbs. Way below what i know him to be capable of.

What bothered me about that is James’ whole game is centered around his phenomenal lower body strength. His ability to get “under and up” and use his buit-in leverage to turn the corner on guys over 100lbs heavier than him. Or bull rush them straight into the lap of the quarterback. You could see it out on the field, he lacked the “signature” explosive jump in his legs that is his trademark.

During his time off to recover from eye bone surgery Tunch happened by the weight room down at the Steelers World Wide headquarters and saw James squatting with 405lbs like it was an empty bar. I had my hopes up that we would see a return of James Harrison as we expect to see James Harrison, physically dominant, relentless in pursuit.

I carefully watched as Harrison took the field for warm-ups before the Ravens game. It was obvious just from the size of his hamhocks that the man had his strength back. And it showed out on the field.

Three sacks, eight tackles, eight quarterback hits and a forced fumble.

Now that’s what you call “Playing to your strengths.” His strength as a player is his strength.

http://craigwolfley.com/2011/11/james-h ... squatting/ (http://craigwolfley.com/2011/11/james-harrison-and-squatting/)

pittpete
11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Timmons has straight out dissappeared these last 4 games.
I mean 11 combined tackles in 4 games, 0 sacks 0 passes defended.