PDA

View Full Version : Sepulveda Out Again!!!

AkronSteel
11-05-2011, 04:35 PM
For the third time in his 5-year career, P Dan Sepulveda has been placed on IR because of an injury to the knee of his plant leg. Sepulveda went on IR last year with an injury to the same knee, and the surgery he had then was the third to his right ACL. Jeremy Kapinos, who replaced Sepulveda last year, was signed again.

Time to move on.....I have always like DS but he just can't stay healthy and he never will. The team got very lucky that Kapinos was still available!!! He will be a good replacement but it's time to look at both K and P in the offseason.

California-Steel
11-05-2011, 04:38 PM
:wft

Pahn711
11-05-2011, 04:48 PM
I thought Kapinos won the punting job outright this preseason, so I'm not overly concerned about this. Its definitely time to part ways with Sepulveda.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-05-2011, 04:50 PM
unbelievable.

great time to get a new punter.

Shoe
11-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I thought Kapinos won the punting job outright this preseason, so I'm not overly concerned about this. Its definitely time to part ways with Sepulveda.

If Kapinos was the other punter in camp this year (I wasn't paying that close attention), then yes--we are very fortunate that he is still available. Also agree that Sep can take his steroid ass and go home for good... he's definitely been a disappointment.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Steelers place Sepulveda on IR, sign Kapinos

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Steelers have placed punter Daniel Sepulveda on injured reserve and signed Jeremy Kapinos to their 53-man roster.

Kapinos takes over following Sepulveda's latest injury to his right knee. Kapinos did the same last December after Sepulveda tore the ACL in his right knee in Baltimore.

In four regular-season games with the Steelers, Kapinos averaged 41.1 yard per punt with a net average of 32.3 yards. The former Penn State star averaged 49.0 yards per punt with a net average of 38.8 in three postseason games.

Kapinos and Sepulveda waged a spirited battle for the punting job during the preseason. After winning the job Sepulveda averaged 46.1 yards per punt.

This is the third time he has sustained a serious injury to his plant leg since the Steelers took the former Baylor standout in the fourth round of the 2007 draft.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1crfvXfdM (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_765823.html#ixzz1crfvXfdM)

Eddie Spaghetti
11-05-2011, 06:34 PM
i bet ruthless is happy we have a PSU guy on the roster now.

Pahn711
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM

If Kapinos was the other punter in camp this year (I wasn't paying that close attention), then yes--we are very fortunate that he is still available. Also agree that Sep can take his steroid bad word and go home for good... he's definitely been a disappointment.

Only a disappointment from an injury standpoint, I'm assuming thats what you meant but just to be sure...

That Kapinos didn't get picked up by another team clearly proved theres an abundance of serviceable punters out there, cause he did indeed have a good preseason.

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Never won a Super Bowl without one. :wink:

grotonsteel
11-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow...this is a big blow. I though Sep was playing pro-Bowl level this season. This just sucks. I think Sep is done with his football career.

Hopefully Kapinos will perform at the same level.

phillyesq
11-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Too bad for Sepulveda.

On the bright side, the Steelers have been to the SB in both of the other years that he got hurt, so hopefully that trend continues.

Shoe
11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Only a disappointment from an injury standpoint, I'm assuming thats what you meant but just to be sure...

That Kapinos didn't get picked up by another team clearly proved theres an abundance of serviceable punters out there, cause he did indeed have a good preseason.

Yes.
No matter what, you can't justify drafting a punter/kicker unless he has multiple Pro Bowls, let alone one.

I will stop short of calling him a bust, but from a personal perspective, I expected a WHOLE LOT more. (And IMO, he's done with us.)

Pahn711
11-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Yes.
No matter what, you can't justify drafting a punter/kicker unless he has multiple Pro Bowls, let alone one.

I will stop short of calling him a bust, but from a personal perspective, I expected a WHOLE LOT more. (And IMO, he's done with us.)

Drafting a punter in the fourth round was a rookie mistake by Tomlin, I'm sure hes thought better of it since. Theres only so much you can expect from a punter, but he certainly wasn't a bust in my book.

Sugar
11-05-2011, 10:04 PM
All the best to Daniel and his family. It must suck to have this talent but not be able to use it because of injuries (I'm thinking of Baron Batch too). Life often seems unfair, but Daniel seems like a quality character guy.

I don't see what the problem with him competing for the punting job again next year would be. If he can win the gig again, great. If not, then someone else would have beaten him out.

On the flip side, what a break for Kapinos. He did well in the preseason but couldn't land a gig. Now he's got the chance to make it in the NFL again.

D Rock
11-05-2011, 10:23 PM

Never won a Super Bowl without one. :wink:

This is what I was saying in the Suisham thread the other day. I thought maybe getting an old PSU kicker would be the way to go. I'll take Kapinos as the punter though to fill the PSU quota.

Pahn711
11-05-2011, 10:42 PM
All the best to Daniel and his family. It must suck to have this talent but not be able to use it because of injuries (I'm thinking of Baron Batch too).

:roll: Baron Batch? He hasn't played an NFL down, c'mon dude. Just because you might like his character, you are taking a giant leap of faith in making such a comparison.

flippy
11-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Can Sushi go on IR too so we can bring back Roadhouse?

drprwnap
11-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Too bad for Sepulveda.

On the bright side, the Steelers have been to the SB in both of the other years that he got hurt, so hopefully that trend continues.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that knows that stat! :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow

Starlifter
11-06-2011, 12:39 AM
when you're a punter and you can't even stay healthy during practice - then it's time to give up on the NFL. I was always a fan of sep and thought the draft pick was worth it, but tragically the guy is just too fragile. I wish dan the best but there's no way the steelers invest any more time with him.

Steelerphile
11-06-2011, 05:47 AM
I was optimistic for Sepulveda and I don't have a problem with a 4th round pick on a punter if he is special. Field position is critical and a punter plays a big role in that. Sepulveda sometimes appeared to be special, but he had this unusual condition and couldn't surpass it.

Usually one surgery is good enough to fix an ACL. I didn't see him trying to make any tackles so I wonder where it happened.

7 UP
11-06-2011, 08:28 AM
I feel bad for Sep on a personal level. Im sure he wants to play,and is probably in disbelief that this happened again.

On the other hand football is a business and I hope the Steelers part ways with him. You just cant have an oft injured punter. His role as a holder is almost as important as his role as a punter. Im glad Kapinos was available so that the chemistry between kicker and holder isnt affected much.

BTW, the Steelers used a 4th round pick on an average to slightly above average punter who has injury problems. Does that sound like a quality draft pick to any of you? Im calling complete bust!

BURGH86STEEL
11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Probably his last season in Pittsburgh. Injuries appear to be ruining his career.

pittpete
11-06-2011, 10:13 AM

feltdizz
11-06-2011, 10:23 AM
I had high hopes for Sep but it's time to move on. I think Sep always dreamed of being a LB in college and trained and lifted like he would be one. We gave up too much for him to Stay injured every year.

One thing people need to remember is punters and kickers are easily injured. Remember the kicker who hurt himself celebrating a made FG?

MaxAMillion
11-06-2011, 12:43 PM
As long as we are replacing kickers, can we get rid if Suisham as well. That guy will cost the Steelers a game with his mediocre kicking.

phillyesq
11-06-2011, 01:05 PM
BTW, the Steelers used a 4th round pick on an average to slightly above average punter who has injury problems. Does that sound like a quality draft pick to any of you? Im calling complete bust!

Tony Hills was a 4th round pick as well. Who provided more value to the team throughout this tenure?

7 UP
11-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Tony Hills was a 4th round pick as well. Who provided more value to the team throughout this tenure?

At least they used the Hills pick to try and address a need. If you draft a punter in the 4th round he had better be a pro bowl caliber punter. Sep was never that. And even if he was, it be tough to punt in the pro bowl with a bum knee.

D Rock
11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
[quote="7 UP":2y6olht5]BTW, the Steelers used a 4th round pick on an average to slightly above average punter who has injury problems. Does that sound like a quality draft pick to any of you? Im calling complete bust!

At least they used the Hills pick to try and address a need. If you draft a punter in the 4th round he had better be a pro bowl caliber punter. Sep was never that. And even if he was, it be tough to punt in the pro bowl with a bum knee.[/quote:2y6olht5]

He is quite possibly in the discussion for best college punter ever... He is the only one to ever win the Ray Guy Award twice. I think that's worth the risk.

How quickly we all forget who was punting for the Steelers prior to drafting Sepulveda.

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2011, 03:20 PM
He is quite possibly in the discussion for best college punter ever... He is the only one to ever win the Ray Guy Award twice. I think that's worth the risk.

How quickly we all forget who was punting for the Steelers prior to drafting Sepulveda.

if not for the injuries, Sep could very well have been a Pro Bowl punter. it didn't work out, but I can't really fault the Steelers for taking that risk...

NJ-STEELER
11-06-2011, 03:31 PM
[quote=phillyesq][quote="7 UP":3lq5enqi]BTW, the Steelers used a 4th round pick on an average to slightly above average punter who has injury problems. Does that sound like a quality draft pick to any of you? Im calling complete bust!

At least they used the Hills pick to try and address a need. If you draft a punter in the 4th round he had better be a pro bowl caliber punter. Sep was never that. And even if he was, it be tough to punt in the pro bowl with a bum knee.[/quote:3lq5enqi]

How quickly we all forget who was punting for the Steelers prior to drafting Sepulveda.[/quote:3lq5enqi]

yeah

i guess some dont remember gardocki and his 35 yard booming punts

the need for a punter was obvious that year. they even tried to sign the 9'ers punter but san fran matched before the draft

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
[quote="7 UP":m7dg1976][quote=phillyesq][quote="7 UP":m7dg1976]BTW, the Steelers used a 4th round pick on an average to slightly above average punter who has injury problems. Does that sound like a quality draft pick to any of you? Im calling complete bust!

At least they used the Hills pick to try and address a need. If you draft a punter in the 4th round he had better be a pro bowl caliber punter. Sep was never that. And even if he was, it be tough to punt in the pro bowl with a bum knee.[/quote:m7dg1976]

How quickly we all forget who was punting for the Steelers prior to drafting Sepulveda.[/quote:m7dg1976]

yeah

i guess some dont remember gardocki and his 35 yard booming punts

the need for a punter was obvious that year. they even tried to sign the 9'ers punter but san fran matched before the draft[/quote:m7dg1976]

the worst punter we ever had that I can remember was Paul Ernster, I couldn't wait for Sep to recover from his first injury after watching Ernster shank punt after punt.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/3017345545_16aafbf813.jpg

pittpete
11-06-2011, 04:27 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_m5ceEcO14g0/SmHRMOkv0sI/AAAAAAAADZU/rxMsn1v9PfY/s400/Super+Bowl+Mitch+Cardinals.jpg

msp26505
11-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Chris Gardocki still hasn't had a punt blocked in 47,386 kicks.

Just sayin'...

NJ-STEELER
11-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Chris Gardocki still hasn't had a punt blocked in 47,386 kicks.

Just sayin'...

i believe he got one blocked the last time he was with us

vs. oakland IIRC

maybe the ball went past the LOS so it wasnt officially a blocked punt

Sugar
11-06-2011, 06:43 PM
All the best to Daniel and his family. It must suck to have this talent but not be able to use it because of injuries (I'm thinking of Baron Batch too).

:roll: Baron Batch? He hasn't played an NFL down, c'mon dude. Just because you might like his character, you are taking a giant leap of faith in making such a comparison.

Excuse me?? Since when did playing a down in the NFL have anything to do with him having talent or not? The kid had enough talent to wow a lot of people just from his YouTube highlights alone. The Steelers obviously saw something in him. Many said that he looked good in the preseason before his injury- thus, talent he wasn't able to use because of injuries. You act like I was making him out to be an HOF talent or something...

Pahn711
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Excuse me?? Since when did playing a down in the NFL have anything to do with him having talent or not? The kid had enough talent to wow a lot of people just from his YouTube highlights alone. The Steelers obviously saw something in him. Many said that he looked good in the preseason before his injury- thus, talent he wasn't able to use because of injuries. You act like I was making him out to be an HOF talent or something...

No, I'm acting like you compared him to a guy that has actually played an NFL down and has proven he can play at a high level, cause he hasn't yet. Thats not saying he won't when he gets a chance in the future, but c'mon dude, you wouldn't have brought Batch up in the same breath as Sepulveda if you didn't have a mancrush on his heart/personality/drive/etc.

And theres nothing wrong with that, I just reacted to what I thought was a strange comparison.

pfelix73
11-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Agreed. We need a kicker and a punter upgrade.

No excuse for not being able to kick the ball into the endzone deep on every kickoff.

:tt1