PDA

View Full Version : I know it's Ravens week, but

Stewie
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I hope that the Steelers have a coupla dozen scouts at the Bama/LSU game. There are several lineman that would look really good in Black and Gold, notably one of the guards from Bama comes to mind.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-04-2011, 09:11 PM
The one I'm the most interested in is LSU right tackle Alex Hurst. 6'6" 340. Similar to Gilbert. Stronger but not quite as fast. Hurst should be available at the end of round 2 (possibly round 3). We would slide inside to right guard and he would start immediately. Plus he could sub at right tackle in case of emergency. Aside from Cordy Glenn most of the other top guards are a bit light to withstand heavy bull rushes. We need a Ngata-proofer along side Pouncey.

The two top Alabama OL's (Brooks, Fluker) might not even enter the draft this year. There is a little buzz circulating about the two Alabama DT's but I'm not sold on either yet.

Scarletfire1970
11-04-2011, 09:32 PM
OMG. Really? You guys are crazy. It is Ravens week!

:wft

:tt2

SteelAbility
11-04-2011, 09:41 PM
So who are we going to take with the 32nd pick? :tt2

steelblood
11-04-2011, 10:42 PM
For Alabama, Barrett Jones is a Junior, I believe. But, he has been playing well at LT for Alabama after playing guard in other seasons. He may come out if he gets a good draft grade. Fluker is a road grader, but will likely stay in school as he is more of a day two prospect at this point of his career. The C Vlachos does not have enough size to convert to guard.

For LSU, Hurst could be a good G or RT in the pros. T-Bob Hebert is a high effort, tough guy, undersized G/C. I don't love him as a pro prospect, but he could be a Legursky type player. Lonegran the center has a good frame for guard and is a very good athlete and a great run blocker. I'm very impressed with him. His skill set reminds me of a bit of Faneca. He is a junior, I believe.

Dee Dub
11-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Me personally, I hope the Steelers get higher rated guards in either David DeCastro of Stanford or Cordy Glenn of Georgia. Plug them in for Kemo and they are perenial All-Pros.

With what Max Starks and Marcus Gilbert have done at tackle this year, I dont think that is a position of need for awhile.

Slapstick
11-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Given the salary cap and how the Steelers are either right up against it or over, they may not be able to pay Max...

AkronSteel
11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Given the salary cap and how the Steelers are either right up against it or over, they may not be able to pay Max...

They will find a way to get him signed. I honestly don't think Max really wants to play anywhere else!!! I don't see that being a problem at all!

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2011, 12:54 PM
For Alabama, Barrett Jones is a Junior, I believe. But, he has been playing well at LT for Alabama after playing guard in other seasons. He may come out if he gets a good draft grade. Fluker is a road grader, but will likely stay in school as he is more of a day two prospect at this point of his career. The C Vlachos does not have enough size to convert to guard.

For LSU, Hurst could be a good G or RT in the pros. T-Bob Hebert is a high effort, tough guy, undersized G/C. I don't love him as a pro prospect, but he could be a Legursky type player. Lonegran the center has a good frame for guard and is a very good athlete and a great run blocker. I'm very impressed with him. His skill set reminds me of a bit of Faneca. He is a junior, I believe.

I just think it's freaking hysterical that former NFL QB Bobby Hebert has a kid named T-Bob. :wft Does T-Bob have short T-Rex arms like A.Q. Shipley? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2011, 01:01 PM

We brought back Max and Gay on one-year deals, but both guys are deserving of long-term contracts at this point. We'll have to see what kind of salary cap maneuvering would be required, but getting rid of BMac's overpriced ass and giving his money to Gay, and getting rid of Kemo's overpriced ass and giving his money to Starks is a start.

If we are able to keep Max, we keep him at LT, and have Gilbert at RT. Perhaps then, when Willie Colon gets healthy, they make many Steeler fans happy by moving him to RG :o ), and then draft someone like Glenn or DeCastro to play LG. And of course, Pouncey in the middle of all of this.

Starks-Glenn/DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert.

We could do some MAJOR damage with that OL!

Pahn711
11-05-2011, 01:09 PM
We brought back Max and Gay on one-year deals, but both guys are deserving of long-term contracts at this point. We'll have to see what kind of salary cap maneuvering would be required, but getting rid of BMac's overpriced bad word and giving his money to Gay, and getting rid of Kemo's overpriced bad word and giving his money to Starks is a start.

If we are able to keep Max, we keep him at LT, and have Gilbert at RT. Perhaps then, when Willie Colon gets healthy, they make many Steeler fans happy by moving him to RG :o ), and then draft someone like Glenn or DeCastro to play LG. And of course, Pouncey in the middle of all of this.

Starks last big contract with the Steelers appeared to have some pretty big concessions on his part, imo. At the time I thought he was willing to do that because both of the years prior with the transition and franchise tags, he got huge paychecks. Of course him not really wanting to play anywhere else is a factor, but I gotta wonder this time if he pushes for a real payday.

Playing this year at a minimum or close is like a tryout, there are gonna be teams willing to spend more if he keeps it up.