PDA

View Full Version : Ravens "dirty" blocking

steelnavy
11-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Is this going to be a factor again for Steeler defensive linemen? Is this something the Ravens only did in the first game, or is it the normal style of their offensive line? If they are pushing the "dirty" line, do the Steeers repond in kind?

Understanding that this is a "legal" block (which makes no sense whatsoever given the new safety conscious climate) per NFL rules, is this something that the Ravens specifically singled out Hampton for and will probably do again? If so, how do the Steelers deal with it? And how much of a factor was it in opening holes last time?

Would appreciate any knowledgable fan providing their 2 cents.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I think the Ravens caught us by surprise with it the last time.

we should be much better prepared for it this game...

feltdizz
11-03-2011, 09:47 AM
we are ready for it this time. I think it caught Hampton by surprise in the first game and Smitty was also getting pancaked.

Baltimore has regressed so much since that first game I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them 35-7.

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2011, 10:22 AM
No o-lineman is dirtier than Chris Kemoeatu. If Baltimore goes after Hampton's knees again, Kemo may put Mount Cody in the wheelchair before the end of the game.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-03-2011, 01:09 PM
First Steelers offensive play from scrimmage: Pitch to the right...Pouncey stands up Ngata and Kemo drives right into Ngata's knee as hard as he can.

Second Steelers offensive play from scrimmage: Pitch to the right and Starks engages with Suggs as Kemo drives right into Suggs knee as hard as he can.

Third Steelers offensive play from scrimmage: Ben in shotgun hits Brown for a first down....

And then we spread the dirty birds out and don't look back.

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Steelers' Tomlin clears the air

Coach addresses Ravens' use of cut blocks, other subjects

By Edward Lee
November 3, 2011

In the aftermath of a 35-7 loss to the Ravens on Sept. 11, several Pittsburgh Steelers players vowed to remember several questionable acts of behavior committed by the Ravens.

During his conference call with Baltimore media Wednesday, Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin addressed some of those complaints.

On the topic of whether the club still objected to the Ravens’ use of cut blocks, Tomlin said, “The Steelers have never had an issue with that. Maybe it was some individuals that were misinformed and stated otherwise, but as an organization and football team, we’ve never had an issue with the techniques that they utilized in that game.”

On whether the Ravens’ decision to have Sam Koch score a two-point conversion to make the score, 29-7, in the third quarter was insulting, Tomlin said, “I was not perturbed one iota about the two-point conversion. I was perturbed about how we played.”

Finally, on whether quarterback Joe Flacco throwing into the end zone late in the fourth quarter was an example of the Ravens trying to run up the score on Pittsburgh, Tomlin said, “Absolutely not. It’s our job to keep the score down, buddy.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/rave ... 6215.story (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-steelers-tomlin-clears-the-air-20111102,0,4526215.story)

Sugar
11-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Baltimore has regressed so much since that first game I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them 35-7.

Um, OK. This surprises me a little. As I've posted elsewhere, they seemed to shake off whatever funk they were in last week in the second half. We go life and death with these guys when we're basically healthy. Does it bode well for us that our Defensive signal caller and two top playmaking LB's are our for the game?

It's not that we can't win. We sure can. With the circumstances being what they are, I just don't expect it.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't think we will fool around against these guys trying to establish the run this time. We need to spread them out and unload the ball quick like last week.

birtikidis
11-03-2011, 11:21 PM

Um, OK. This surprises me a little. As I've posted elsewhere, they seemed to shake off whatever funk they were in last week in the second half. We go life and death with these guys when we're basically healthy. Does it bode well for us that our Defensive signal caller and two top playmaking LB's are our for the game?

It's not that we can't win. We sure can. With the circumstances being what they are, I just don't expect it.
I'm not concerned with how they played in the second half against the cardinals. They're inconsistency is well documented. If anything I think the cardinals played out of their minds in the first half. Teams they should crush, like Tennessee, Jacksonville and Arizona all showed that Baltimore isn't as great as the talking heads would make you think.

feltdizz
11-04-2011, 08:44 AM

AZ isn't that good and they are even worse when on the road. You can have funk all over you and still beat AZ...

I'm not worried at all... I didn't expect to beat the Pats but I definitely expect us to beat the Ravens every time we play them. The 35-7 game was a fluke... you will see a different ball game with our young legs out there instead of our geezers.

We played so bad in that first game it gave Baltimore a false identity as some stud team. Flacco is struggling and Baltimore has been in a few nail biters with below average teams.

The last 2 Baltimore wins who was burned at CB? McFadden. In the 35 to 7 rout who was abused on our DL? Hampton and Smitty. Smitty is gone and Hampton is rotating. Who was smashed on the OL? Legursky? Isn't he out? Our OL is much better now than in week one. Is Ward still out? Not to sound rude but I hope so... our WR core is going to abuse them this time around.

Missing Woodley will hurt the pass rush but I think our DB's are playing so much better it won't matter. Baltimore is pretty much playing a different Steeler team and I think it won't be as close as some believe.

Sugar
11-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Nobody seemed to be worried about the Ravens in game 1 either. :wink:

feltdizz
11-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Nobody seemed to be worried about the Ravens in game 1 either. :wink:

The Steelers came out looking like a JV flag football team...

It's not like the Ravens kept the intensity up all season and they have been sliding ever since they beat us.

phillyesq
11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I haven't had as much time to post and follow the news lately, but hopefully Hoke is able to play. He seems to deal with the cut-blocking type teams better than Hampton because of his style.

And if the Ravens insist on cut blocking again, I hope the Steelers respond in kind and have Kemo put his helmet into Ngata's bruised thigh a few times.

feltdizz
11-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I haven't had as much time to post and follow the news lately, but hopefully Hoke is able to play. He seems to deal with the cut-blocking type teams better than Hampton because of his style.

And if the Ravens insist on cut blocking again, I hope the Steelers respond in kind and have Kemo put his helmet into Ngata's bruised thigh a few times.

I agree... Hoke and McClendon are more agile than Hampton.

I think this is another game the offense has to win. In week one it seemed like we never had the ball more than a minute... probably due to the 8 TO's. :wink:

steelnavy
11-04-2011, 02:06 PM

AZ isn't that good and they are even worse when on the road. You can have funk all over you and still beat AZ...

I'm not worried at all... I didn't expect to beat the Pats but I definitely expect us to beat the Ravens every time we play them. The 35-7 game was a fluke... you will see a different ball game with our young legs out there instead of our geezers.

We played so bad in that first game it gave Baltimore a false identity as some stud team. Flacco is struggling and Baltimore has been in a few nail biters with below average teams.

The last 2 Baltimore wins who was burned at CB? McFadden. In the 35 to 7 rout who was abused on our DL? Hampton and Smitty. Smitty is gone and Hampton is rotating. Who was smashed on the OL? Legursky? Isn't he out? Our OL is much better now than in week one. Is Ward still out? Not to sound rude but I hope so... our WR core is going to abuse them this time around.

Missing Woodley will hurt the pass rush but I think our DB's are playing so much better it won't matter. Baltimore is pretty much playing a different Steeler team and I think it won't be as close as some believe.

Feltdizz, (as much as it pains me to say this) those are excellent points :Clap

papillon
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree... Hoke and McClendon are more agile than Hampton.

I think this is another game the offense has to win. In week one it seemed like we never had the ball more than a minute... probably due to the 8 TO's. :wink:

In the 2011 version of the NFL the offense is going to have to win any game against good teams. The defense can still dictate a game against the bad teams, but the teams like New England, Green Bay, New Orleans and Baltimore the offense has to win the game. A defense isn't keeping these teams from scoring points (in general). I'd like to see Ben kill them with the short stuff and force Reed closer to the LOS and then look for Wallace on go routes. Reed (even with an angle) isn't keeping up with Wallace.

Pappy

flippy
11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Why don't we block like this on Ngata. Pouncey takes him high and Kemo goes for the knee - or I mean thigh.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Steelers ready for cut blocks from Ravens

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 5, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-11-04/1105HamptCAPinside-b.jpg

Casey Hampton was shocked by the first play of the game when the Steelers played at Baltimore in Week 1.

No, not that Ray Rice broke off the longest run against the Steelers' defense in more than two years, but that he found himself lying on his back mere seconds after he engaged with center Matt Birk.

Hampton was cut to the ground by backside guard Marshal Yanda, leaving a gaping hole for Rice to tear off a tone-setting, 36-yard run.

Hampton had his legs cut out from under him by Yanda nine more times during the Ravens' 35-7 win. Those blocks helped Baltimore rush for a season-high 170 yards, and Rice's 107-yard day was the first time the Steelers had given up 100 or more yards on the ground in more than 50 games.

"We didn't expect them to do it, that's for sure" Steelers linebacker James Farrior said. "We didn't see it in tape in the past. We weren't prepared for it a little bit."

Hampton admits that he wasn't ready for Baltimore's blocking scheme in Week 1, but he will be expecting it when the two teams meet Sunday at Heinz Field.

"I think I am a little more prepared," Hampton said. "I am a lot more prepared than I was last time. I haven't seen them do that against a whole lot of people besides us."

Steelers defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau isn't concerned about the success the Ravens had getting Hampton off his feet in Week 1. He said Hampton will adjust.

"I am sure he knows that is what they are going to try to do to him," LeBeau said. "They will do the same thing again. They will cut you on the backside, I promise you that."

Against Arizona last week, the Ravens used Yanda to cut on the backside only a handful of times — or at least not nearly as much as they did against the Steelers.

Baltimore feels the only way you can run on the Steelers is if you eliminate Hampton.

"It is something that you have to see over and over again, and once you get used to it, you can deal with it," Steelers backup nose tackle Chris Hoke said. "We faced that the entire next month with that cut-blocking stuff after that game."

The Ravens success — 96 yards on 10 cut-block plays — led to other teams trying it on the Steelers. But the defensive line, Hampton in particular, quickly adjusted. It hasn't been an issue since.

"The first game was a teaching tool," Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood said. "We took a lot from it and moved on and worked on it. If you know it is coming, you know how to play for it."

Beating the cut block is relatively easy, Hoke said. You just have to stay on your feet by all means necessary.

"You have to see that backside guy and pick your feet up a little bit and stay on your feet," Hoke said. "The key to shutting down the run against a zone-blocking scheme like that is that you have to stay on your feet."

Some Steelers feel the block is dangerous and should be illegal because it targets the knees. But a cut block isn't illegal; a chop block is.

"It worked last time, so I don't see why they would do something different than they did last time," Hampton said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1cnKTFam7 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_765693.html#ixzz1cnKTFam7)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Cut block vs. chop block?

Thanks for any help.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Sending a Message?

by CRAIG WOLFLEY on NOVEMBER 5, 2011

After reviewing tape from the season opening loss to the “Angry Birds” otherwise known as the Baltimore Ravens the total went something like this according to the research of Tunch Ilkin.

On 26 run plays, Casey Hampton got cut/chop blocked 8 times. Defensive end Aaron Smith got whacked 4 times. Since that game the cut block has gone the way of 8-track tapes. For the Ravens offensive line, it has virtually dried up as an offensive weapon.

So what are the Steelers to make of the fact that the cut block, used so effectively in the first go-round against the Steelers defensive line, apparently was something reserved only for them? When you review game video of the Ravens against other teams, there’s nary a cut/chop block amongst them. So what can you read off of this?

The Ravens were sending a message. The message was simple, and to the point. Game on, and it’s no-holds barred. We’ve had an acid-drip in our stomach since the game ended in last year’s divisional playoffs and we are coming after you. It’s gonna get nasty. We will ask no quarter, nor will we offer any quarter.

Whenever i try to understand and evaluate situations such as this, i always go back to my playing days. Draw from personal experience. I’ve “sent a message,” and i’ve had a “message sent to me.” I get it.

This is a two-chinstrap, bring some duct tape, hunker-down-dawg, pier six brawl with a start time and a finish time. I for one, can’t wait for 8:20 sunday night. Actually, 8:21 to be more specific.

http://craigwolfley.com/2011/11/sending-a-message/

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I didn't know Wolf had a blog! I got a chance to meet him at a game last year (Ruthless showed me around), he was a nice guy! When I watch the games, I always turn the sound off, and listen to Tunch and Hilgrove and Wolf do the game. The delay in the signal (sometimes the audio, sometimes the picture) is well worth it to hear the game as if I were in the 'burgh.

HERE WE GO STEELERS! :ratsuck

SteelAbility
11-06-2011, 11:26 AM
As long as what the Rats did was within the framework of the rules, I don't have a problem with it. It's up to the Steelers to make the adjustments. What I would have a problem with, is if we do the same thing and they cry foul.