PDA

View Full Version : Lardarius Webb Says Antonio Brown 'Better Than' Mike Wallace

SteelCrazy
11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Lardarius Webb Says Antonio Brown 'Better Than' Mike Wallace 'In All Aspects Of The Game'

By any measure, Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers is among the NFL's elite wide receivers. This season, he ranks No. 4 in catches (43), No. 2 in touchdowns (five), No. 3 in receiving yards (800), and No. 3 in yards per catch (18.3). But if you ask Baltimore Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb about Wallace, as reporters did on Wednesday, and he'll tell you Wallace isn't even the best receiver on his own team.

"Every time somebody asks me [a question], they're always talking about Mike Wallace," said Webb, according to Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. "But they have a guy No. 84 in Antonio Brown who is better than 17 [Wallace] in all aspects of the game. He's a great returner, a great wide receiver."

Brown's had a solid season in his own right, with 34 catches for 421 yards and a score. But he, like nearly every other receiver in football, pales in comparison to Wallace. It's just that Webb doesn't quite see it that way.

Webb's task Sunday will be to blanket Wallace. That'd be a matchup to watch anyway, but now it's practically appointment television. What will Webb say if the Steelers' second-best receiver burns him for a big catch or two?

Now in his third season, Webb has 38 tackles (31 solo) and two interceptions, including one pick returned for a score.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... onio-brown (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/11/2/2533160/ravens-vs-steelers-lardarius-webb-mike-wallace-antonio-brown)

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Fun Fact: Antonio Brown has the same number of catches so far this season as Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown are different types of receivers that complement each other well.

I'm glad we have them both. :tt2 :tt2

Shawn
11-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Is Brown better than Wallace right now? No. Is it closer than some want to think? Oh yeah. I think Brown might have better instincts and hands than Wallace. Wallace seems like he is slightly faster and more experienced. Wallace is elite, and Brown needs the opportunity to prove he can be elite. But, I truly believe before all is said and done we might have two WRs who are considered top 5 in the NFL.

ROLROC
11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Head games?

Pahn711
11-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah like Webb really has the Steelers best interests at heart. :roll:

The stats, the experience, and the speed of Mike Wallace say otherwise. Being the team's punt and kick returner, Brown probably has the better instincts and run after the catch ability, but thats all I'm comfortable saying for now.

I would also ask, if Brown is the better route runner, why didn't he start in place of Sanders last Sunday?

flippy
11-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Mike Wallace = Randy Moss without the height

Antonio Brown = Steve Smith

Manny Sanders = Marvin Harrison

We've got the best trio of WRs in the history of the game. Time will prove this out.

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM

We've got the best trio of WRs in the history of the game. Time will prove this out.

Don't forget (as long as we are comparing our wideouts to future Hall-of-Famer types):

Hines Ward = Hines Ward :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Seriously, though...I'd call Wallace a Cliff Branch type (ultimate deep threat), Brown a Louis Lipps type (tends to make something happen once you get the ball in his hands), and Sanders a Isaac Bruce type (smooth route runner). I'm not going to annoint anyone by saying that they equal these players or anything...just stating the prototype each of our young WR's appear to be striving for.

Jigawatts
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
What the hell is a Lardarius?

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 06:43 PM

A new band featuring the drummer from Metallica and the singer from Hootie and the Blowfish.

Jigawatts
11-02-2011, 06:48 PM

A new band featuring the drummer from Metallica and the singer from Hootie and the Blowfish.

This is heavy

The Man of Steel
11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I didn't know until recently just how dominant a wide receiver Antonio Brown was in college. I know he only played in the MAC but the stats he put up were still kind of freakish.

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 06:59 PM

This is heavy

Wait until you hear the remix of "Enter Sandman" and "Only Wanna Be With You."

The video rules...cement footed Dan Marino tries to "run" away from an 18-wheeler and gets swished like grape.

D Rock
11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I didn't know until recently just how dominant a wide receiver Antonio Brown was in college. I know he only played in the MAC but the stats he put up were still kind of freakish.

2007: 102 catches for 1003 yards (9.8 avg) and 6 TDs
2008: 93 catches for 998 yards (10.7 avg) and 7 TDs
2009: 110 catches for 1198 yards (10.9 avg) and 9 TDS

also had 4 rushing TDs, two kick return TDs, 3 punt return TDs, and 1 passing TD

I'm surprised by the low average per catch, but maybe that was just the system. The consistency is very impressive.

steelblood
11-02-2011, 07:15 PM
II watched several of his games in college. QB Dan LeFevour and WR Brian Anderson were top talents at CMU, but Brown was the man. He was a great underneath possession receiver, a big play threat, and a killer KR and PR. He has such suddenness and explosion.

Wallace has world class speed. Brown is fast, but not close to Wallace. But, Brown is better in every single other part of the game.

SteelCrazy
11-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Wallace is the better receiver now but he is as good as he is going to get. Brown is going to be Jerry Rice good. He is a rarity that comes along once every 25 years. A bold statement? yes and it may not even happen. He may regress, but it is highly unlikely. It's exciting watching him play as it is to watch Wallace. I hope we are able to retain both at the end of their contracts.

Captain Lemming
11-02-2011, 07:34 PM

When the car in you sig is rereleased in 2012....that is what it will be called. :)

Captain Lemming
11-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Flippy, I like you dude but you crack me up sometimes.
I'm a stinkin Steeler LEMMING, and I cannot match your unbridled homerism.
Seriously dude with all the "best ever" opinions you give, this team has no peer in the history of the game.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-02-2011, 07:46 PM
jerry rice???

cmon man, thats absurd.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 08:02 PM
jerry rice???

cmon man, thats absurd.

that would mean that Antonio Brown is going to be the best WR ever...

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 08:16 PM
jerry rice???

cmon man, thats absurd.

that would mean that Antonio Brown is going to be the WR ever...

And just think...he was taken with the "throw in" 6th round draft pick that we got from Arizona along with Bryant McFadden for the 5th rounder obtained from the Jets in the Santonio Holmes trade.

Slapstick
11-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Hines Ward = Hines Ward

We've got the best quartet of WRs in the history of the game. Time will prove this out.

Captain Lemming
11-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Do you remember Jake Reed of the Vikings?
Big, fast Crazy productive receiver. On most teams he would be the star but he was overshadowed by Chris Carter, an all time great.

In 1994, Jake Reed combined with fellow recevier Cris Carter for 207 receptions, which was an NFL record.

Carter and Reed combined to become the first teammate duo to amass 1,000 each in four consecutive seasons.

That prolific Viking tandem of 1,000 yard receivers added Randy Moss

Not shorter Randy Moss, the full size one.

Moss had 17 TDs as a rookie with a tandem who each had 1,000 yards for the previous four seasons.

Randall Cunningham had the year of his career.

That team set the all-time scoring record.

Those three receivers accounted for 34 TDs. Perspective?
Our entire wide receiving corp had 17 TDs last season.
Moss did that BY HIMSELF.

ColumbusSteelerFan
11-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Big, fast Crazy productive receiver. On most teams he would be the star but he was overshadowed by Chris Carter, an all time great.

In 1994, Jake Reed combined with fellow recevier Cris Carter for 207 receptions, which was an NFL record.

Carter and Reed combined to become the first teammate duo to amass 1,000 each in four consecutive seasons.

Moss had 17 TDs as a rookie with a tandem who each had 1,000 yards for the previous four seasons.

And what prevented that trio of receivers from getting to the Super Bowl that year? A 38 yard missed field goal. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself for the Young Money club this year.

Captain Lemming
11-02-2011, 09:49 PM

And what prevented that trio of receivers from getting to the Super Bowl that year? A 38 yard missed field goal. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself for the Young Money club this year.

But they had a kicker who was on the verge of having the best year ever.

We on the other had......not so much.

THEREFORE, in the same topsy turvy manner, just as mr. clutch choked, our Kicker will be clutch when we least expect it.

SHAWN SHANK-EM REDEMPTION

I'm drinkin that Flippy KoolAID again

OH YEAH!!!!

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
if I was forced to choose between the two, I would take Wallace...

Mike Wallace Watch: Steelers WR Averaging an Even 100 Yards Per Game At Halfway Point of 2011 Season

by Michael Bean on Nov 1, 2011

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2190570/130978796_extra_large.jpg

Mike Wallace had his streak of consecutive games with at least one reception of 40+ yards snapped at six, but by no means did the third-year gamebreaker have an off day. Wallace caught all seven passes thrown his way and amassed 70 yards to give him an even 800 on the year at the halfway mark of the season. For us non-math majors, that gives Wallace an average of exactly 100 receiving yards per contest so far. The 70 yards in Week 8 marked the lowest single-game total so far this season.

Wallace is now about 250 yards off pace from Jerry Rice's single season record of 1,848 set in 1995. But he's still right there neck and neck with some of the NFL's most productive receivers this season. He'll need one or two more huge games to wind up with a 1,500 yard season I'd guess, but all that really matters is that Wallace continues to produce at a relatively high level each week for Ben Roethlisberger. And he's done just that, having not gone a single Sunday without registering at least 70 yards.

Let's take a look at his game-by-game production, then check in to see where he stacks up with his peers in receptions, receiving yards and yards per reception.

Game Receptions Yards Yards/Catch TDs

Week 1 @ BAL 8 107 13.38 0
Week 2 vs SEA 8 126 15.75 1
Week 3 @ IND 5 144 28.8 1
Week 4 @ HOU 4 77 19.25 0
Week 5 vs TEN 6 82 13.66 1
Week 6 vs JAX 2 76 38.00 1
Week 7 @ ARI 3 118 39.33 1
Week 8 vs NE 7 70 100.00 1

SEASON TOTALS

43 800 18.60 5

ON PACE FOR:

86 1,600 18.60 10

2011 WR Leaders (through Week 8)

Receptions (WRs and TEs only):

Wes Welker -- 57
Jimmy Graham -- 49
Calvin Johnson -- 47
Steve Smith -- 46
Mike Wallace -- 43

Receiving Yards (Yards/Game):

Steve Smith -- 918 (114.8)
Wes Welker -- 824 (117.7)
Calvin Johnson -- 804 (100.5)
Mike Wallace -- 800 (100.0)
Jimmy Graham -- 713 (89.1)
Gregg Jennings -- 677 (96.7)

Yards per Reception (minimum 25 receptions):

Steve Smith -- 20.0
Mike Wallace -- 18.6
DeSean Jackson -- 18.0
Victor Cruz -- 17.8
Larry Fitzgerald -- 17.7

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... in-johnson (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/11/1/2528974/steelers-patriots-mike-wallace-stats-nfl-receiving-statistics-wes-welker-steve-smith-calvin-johnson)

D Rock
11-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I find it quite shocking that the biggest single game Wallace has ever had is 144 yards, and that he has only caught multiple TDs 3 times in his career. In the same 3 year span, Ward has had 159 yards and 2 games with multiple TDs.

Wallace is great and all, but I'm still waiting for a level of Calvin Johnson-ness to show up, if even for only a week. (161 and 152 yard games, 6 weeks with multiple TDs, including 4 straight weeks to open this season.)

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Wallace: ‘I Can Get Deep On Anybody’

Posted by Garrett Downing on Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2_Wallace_news.jpg

Steelers wide receiver looking for big plays against Ravens secondary.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace loves to take the top off opposing defenses with the deep pass.

The speedy wide receiver has a knack for making the big play, and going up against a Baltimore Ravens defense that has Ed Reed at safety doesn’t give Wallace any hesitations about going for the deep route.

“I still feel like I can get deep on anybody,” Wallace said during Wednesday’s conference call after referencing Reed. “I don’t care who’s back there. It’s just a matter of opportunity.

“There’s nothing they can do to stop me from getting deep if I have an opportunity.”

But in recent games, the Ravens have been able to contain Wallace from converting on the long pass.

While he caught eight passes for 107 yards in the Week 1 matchup, his longest reception was a 26-yard grab and the Ravens kept him out of the end zone. The Patriots are the only other team that has prevented Wallace from catching a pass 40 yards or longer this season.

In three games against the Ravens last year, Wallace’s longest catch was a 24-yard reception and he failed to score a touchdown. Twice, the Ravens held Wallace – who averaged 72 receiving yards a game last year– to less than 25 yards.

Wallace has 21 career touchdowns, but none against the Ravens.

The main reason for that, Wallace said, is Reed’s presence in the middle of the field.

“They have a great safety in the middle of the field,” Wallace said. “So when you’re playing with a guy like that, you have to kind of be smart about it.”

Wallace is fourth in the NFL in receiving yards (800) this year, and was in the top five (1,257 yards) last season, but his play has not gone far enough to impress Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb, who said Steelers receiver Antonio Brown is the best of their group.

“They have a guy, No. 84, Antonio Brown, who’s better than 17 (Wallace) in all aspects of the game,” Webb said. “Great returner, great wide receiver.”

Wallace leads the Steelers with 43 receptions, 800 yards and five touchdowns, while Brown has 34 grabs, 431 yards and one receiving touchdown.

Wallace’s emergence as a deep-play threat has come at a time when Pittsburgh’s offensive approach has shifted to more of a passing attack than the traditional ground-and-pound game.

That big play potential has added another dimension to the Steelers’ offense, and Wallace said he doesn’t plan to change his mindset this weekend against the Ravens.

“Every single week before the game, I visualize going deep or making big plays,” Wallace said. “I consider myself a big playmaker.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/1 ... n-anybody/ (http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/11/02/wallace-i-can-get-deep-on-anybody/)

feltdizz
11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Wallace is crazy fast and thanks to Ike I was dying with laughter watching Wallace run after a reception. His technique really is horrible and his free arm is waving like it's on fire.

Anyways.... Brown is going to be the best WR of this group. He isn't the best year but the guy is incredible at making splash plays. Every time he touches the ball it feels like something special is about to happen. The only problem with Brown is maturity. I think that held him back early on in his career.

A good friend of mine has an older brother who coached at CMU when Brown was there and he said Brown was putting on a show every game.

I love Wallace and the guy can burn but Brown has it all. I'm happy we have both.

Doogie36
11-03-2011, 11:49 AM

MAN i just love hearing the hype on these guys from STEELER NATION because just last year I felt like the only one who was really happy about these 2 guys. Many on here wanted a big time FA wide receiver last year. It just amazes me what a YEAR can do!!! More proof to just stay positive STEELER NATION and to cheer for the team we have on the field!!! We do it the STEELER way and it works!!! Why bring in loud mouth WR's or anyone else for that matter when its not needed?

HERE WE GOOO STEELERS, HERE WE GOOO!!!!

Shoe
11-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Wallace is the better receiver now but he is as good as he is going to get. Brown is going to be Jerry Rice good. He is a rarity that comes along once every 25 years. A bold statement? yes and it may not even happen. He may regress, but it is highly unlikely. It's exciting watching him play as it is to watch Wallace. I hope we are able to retain both at the end of their contracts.

Yikes... and I thought I was a homer. There's homers, and then there's SteelCrazy.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2011, 03:52 PM
The Rivalry: Wallace responds to Webb

November, 3, 2011
By Jamison Hensley

Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb created a stir when he said that Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown was better than Mike Wallace.

Mike Wallace vs. Ravens

Date Rec. Yards Avg TDs

12-27-09 3 83 27.6 0
10-3-10 2 24 12.0 0
12-5-10 5 76 15.2 0
1-15-11 3 20 6.7 0
9-11-11 8 107 13.4 0

Wallace's response was: "Who is that guy?"

"I mean, I heard of him, but at the end of the day, he can't check me, so it is what it is," Wallace said, via The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "That's got to be somebody who really matters to motivate me; he really don't."

Webb, a 2009 third-round draft pick, leads the Ravens in passes broken up (eight) and ranks second in tackles. He is in his first season as a full-time starter.

On Wednesday, Webb said Brown is better than Wallace "in all aspects of the game."

The Ravens have contained Wallace in five games against him. He had his best game against Baltimore in the season opener, catching eight passes for 107 yards. But the Ravens have kept Wallace out of the end zone and have allowed him to catch two passes over 25 yards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... ds-to-webb (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/34914/the-rivalry-wallace-responds-to-webb)