PDA

View Full Version : Ward Said He Sat Out Against Patriots Because secondary bad

SteelCrazy
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM
The Steelers earned a 25-17 victory over the Patriots on Sunday afternoon, but receiver Hines Ward still has something to say about New England.

The veteran receiver did not play Sunday due to an ankle injury, but he told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he would have played if the Patriots had a better secondary.

"I probably could have forced it and played but we have some great wideouts," Ward said. "I wasn't really concerned. And against the Patriots, we felt we could exploit their secondary. That wasn't the same secondary that we played against a year ago. [James] Sanders, [Brandon] Meriweather wasn't back there and they let Leigh Bodden go. We kind of liked our matchups. So there was no need for me to try to force it and go."

Whether that's perceived as trash talk or brutal honesty depends on where you're from. The Patriots rank dead last in the NFL with 323 passing yards allowed per game. They surrendered 329 yards to Pittsburgh on Sunday, with Heath Miller and Mike Wallace combining for 14 catches and 155 yards.

The Steelers play division rival Baltimore this weekend, one that Ward said he can't afford to miss.

"I wouldn't have to force it to go out there, but I'm not missing this one," he said. "This is going to be fun."

Ward, 35, has 26 catches for 258 yards and two touchdowns this season.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/hines-ward- ... o-bad.html (http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/hines-ward-said-he-sat-out-against-patriots-because-new-englands-secondary-is-so-bad.html)

Mister Pittsburgh
11-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't think at this point Hines is top 3 wr on our team. He needs to become a situational wr at this point. Once we hit the redone is the only time he should step on the field.

Pahn711
11-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Well maybe he should have forced it, he may have lost his job this week....

Scarletfire1970
11-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Hines is in denial if he thinks he is better than any of these young guys.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I believe one of the reasons Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown are developing so nicely is because they have had Hines Ward as their mentor and role model.

let's not be so quick to get rid of #86 and let's all enjoy him while we still can, Hines can still make the tough catches in the red zone and is a steadying influence on Young Money.

I hope he follows the path of Carnell Lake and becomes a Steelers coach one day...

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2011/NFL/supermvps/2ppg-vertical.jpg

Mister Pittsburgh
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Before he gets to the point of a Carnell Lake/ coaching role, I hope he follows the path of the Bus & takes a pay cut for the betterment of the team & doesn't let his giant ego get in the way of accepting a diminished role & contributing where he can. Love Hines & what he has meant to the team & how he plays, but I want the best WR getting the playing time.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Before he gets to the point of a Carnell Lake/ coaching role, I hope he follows the path of the Bus & takes a pay cut for the betterment of the team

I also hope Hines follows the path of the Bus & wins one last Super Bowl... :tt2

Pahn711
11-02-2011, 09:58 PM

Better route-runner, better blocker, better at reading defenses, and probably better in the red zone. Most of those things just come with experience, so the other receivers will eventually catch up, but not yet.

On a side note, just watched Inside the NFL for this week, apparently Ward was invited to come on the show today and refused, interesting move, and I certainly respect that. It would only give credibility to that clown Sapp if he showed up.

Shoe
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM

C'mon. I'm not saying he definitively is (better), but let's be clear: Antonio Brown has had one-half of a good year, plus a few plays the year before. Wallace is certainly proven himself, but Sanders? He has promise to be sure, but he hasn't shown he's anything yet except potential.

I'm a Hines homer, but it's not like he's an albatross on our backs or something. I like Brown better in the lineup at this point too, but Hines still has something to offer.

Starlifter
11-02-2011, 11:46 PM

Better route-runner, better blocker, better at reading defenses, and probably better in the red zone. Most of those things just come with experience, so the other receivers will eventually catch up, but not yet.

On a side note, just watched Inside the NFL for this week, apparently Ward was invited to come on the show today and refused, interesting move, and I certainly respect that. It would only give credibility to that clown Sapp if he showed up.

I agree. yes, we have young guys with speed - but we can't overlook the experience Hines will bring to this game. He KNOWS the rats. The other receivers will get their plays - but we need Hines out there. I hope he breaks suggs jaw this time......

Mister Pittsburgh
11-03-2011, 12:43 PM
To everyone defending Hines like I spit in his eye, that wasn't my intent at all. I simply was laughing at him for his comment like 'if the Pats had a better secondary I would of given it a go cause I am better than the youngsters'......

Hines is in his mid 30's at this point. The 3 amigo's of Wallace, Brown, Sanders should all be on the field if we are going 3 wide, between the 20's, over Hines. Any one of them can make a 5 yard catch a 50 yard gain in no time flat.

Hines at this point should be a situational WR rather than an every down type WR. He should be in there in the redzone when the field is shortened and you want a WR than can catch in a tight space and take a butt whipping after catching it. Possibly on 3rd down when we need a short catch in a tight space.

Get real though when saying 'he is a good blocker in the run game' or 'he is a better route runner than Sanders'. I have seen multiple sources saying Sanders may be the best route runner on the team. And we throw 70% of the time.

So yeah, Hines has been a terrific Steeler and an integral part of why we have SB trophies on the shelf in the last decade. However, every player has a point where they aren't 'great' anymore. At this point, I think the three amigo's bring more to the table on your average down than Ward does. Not a dis on Hines, just a realistic look at how things are.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11244/1171290-66.stm

That's because the Steelers might have the best trio of young receivers in the NFL.

"It's a real sign the future of the wideouts that we have," Ward said. "We didn't go out and draft any guys because we're comfortable with the young guys we have. When I do leave, we'll be in good hands. They're very talented."

And they are very different.

Mike Wallace, who enters his third season, already is one of the league's top deep threats with his sprinter's speed.

Emmanuel Sanders, a No. 3 pick in 2010, might be the best route-runner on the team and reads defenses as well as the coaching staff.

And Antonio Brown has spent the preseason showing off his big-play ability and turning his mistakes into touchdowns.

The Steelers have to go back to 2000 when they had Ward, Plaxico Burress and Troy Edwards to find a more talented trio of young receivers on their roster.

Asked to evaluate the young receivers, Ward gave the following assessment:

Wallace: "He has that one thing you can't teach -- speed. But I want Mike to become an all-around receiver, not just the speed, the deep guy. You can be an explosive wide receiver by catching curls catching digs, things like that."

Sanders: "He's probably more polished than all of them. He has the understanding of the offense. He could play inside and outside. The slot guy is the quarterback of the wideouts."

Brown: "A.B. has that dog in him, that mentality, I see him playing with that chip on his shoulders. He's always trying to prove to someone he can play. He plays with a little more anger. I really like working with him."

Shawn
11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Translation

When the Steelers are thinking pass...and pass all day the Steelers need speed and youth to exploit. And when the Steelers are thinking run...I can still block.

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2011, 12:48 PM
To everyone defending Hines like I spit in his eye, that wasn't my intent at all. I simply was laughing at him for his comment like 'if the Pats had a better secondary I would of given it a go cause I am better than the youngsters'......

Hines is in his mid 30's at this point. The 3 amigo's of Wallace, Brown, Sanders should all be on the field if we are going 3 wide, between the 20's, over Hines. Any one of them can make a 5 yard catch a 50 yard gain in no time flat.

Hines at this point should be a situational WR rather than an every down type WR. He should be in there in the redzone when the field is shortened and you want a WR than can catch in a tight space and take a butt whipping after catching it. Possibly on 3rd down when we need a short catch in a tight space.

Get real though when saying 'he is a good blocker in the run game' or 'he is a better route runner than Sanders'. I have seen multiple sources saying Sanders may be the best route runner on the team. And we throw 70% of the time.

So yeah, Hines has been a terrific Steeler and an integral part of why we have SB trophies on the shelf in the last decade. However, every player has a point where they aren't 'great' anymore. At this point, I think the three amigo's bring more to the table on your average down than Ward does. Not a dis on Hines, just a realistic look at how things are.

http://product.images.prosportsmemorabilia.com/33-30/33-30159-P.jpg

:nono No stealing of nicknames. For instance, LaDainian Tomlinson is not L.T. any more than Lawrence Timmons is L.T. Just as there is only one L.T., we can't have another 3 Amigos (unless you are talking about Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, and Martin Short...that's different). Speaking of which, would you say that the Steelers have a plethora of wide receivers? :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
11-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Dang....I am a nickname steeler.....are all 3 of our guys referred to as 'young money' as a group....or is Wallace 'young money' and Brown and Sanders his posse?

I took Hines comment regarding the Pats crappy secondary as him being cocky, cause lets get real here, He is one cocky dude....but Shawn may be right in his translation where Hines was simply saying we didn't need to run on them.....Not sure, guess it depends on how you look at it.....

Anyway.....what would the gameplan vs. the Rats be? 50-50 split, run-pass, or a healthy dose of quick passing to negate the pass rush? I think if we can play the New England sort of passing game and keep Ben's jersey clean where their pass rush can't get to him due to short passes, that is the way to go. After all, New England has had a much better offense than ours for quite a while now.

I think our offense is to the point where we can spread teams out like the top offenses do, and create a boatload of mismatches. Running at that front 7 seems like a poor choice when the other option is to spread them out and make Ray Ray and their secondary come up and play man.

pittpete
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Shhhhhhh Hines