PDA

View Full Version : A few post game thoughts

Shawn
10-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Before I get to reading what the rest of you think...I wanted to leave a few comments and observations of my own.

1) BA called the game of his life.
2) I guess Brady no longer owns Lebeau, as Lebeau also called a terrific game
3) The DBs played lights out. I was impressed with the lock down coverage.
4) Even with giving up a TD, Lewis played a very good game.
5) The D was able to get nice pressure only rushing 5.
6) Antonio Brown is going to be very very special.
7) It's ridiculous how much better our OL is with Starks.
8) Woodley>>>Nate Solder
9) Sylvester didn't look out of place out there.
10) We need a new kicker in a bad way.

fezziwig
10-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Excellent post and I'm very happy about the win.

11. Arians, Lebeau, Tomlin and Ben better continue on game planning for what they can accomplish against other teams than what they would rather try to do against other teams.

12. Our redzone offense sucks if you ask me. This team better find out how to make touchdowns instead of fieldgoals. Fieldgoals that are less than 25 yards to boot.

steelblood
10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
IIRC, Woodley beat Vollmer on one (if not both of those sacks). Vollmer and Solder were supposed to be alternating series. But, I feel like I mostly saw Vollmer out there.

hawaiiansteel
10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Steelers Report Card: Game 8 vs. Patriots

Monday, October 31, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

QUARTERBACKS A

Ben Roethlisberger picked apart the league's lowest-ranked pass defense, passing for 365 yards and two touchdowns. What's more, he piled up 29 first downs and converted 10 of 16 third downs. Roethlisberger completed 23 of 32 passes for 231 yards in the first half, putting the Steelers in possession for more than 21 minutes. His only gaffe was an interception that set up the Patriots' first TD.

RUNNING BACKS B

Rashard Mendenhall had 49 of his 70 yards in the second half, including 25 yards on four carries on a 14-play drive that resulted in a third-quarter field goal and 20-10 lead. He averaged 5.4 yards per carry and also caught three passes for 22 yards. Mewelde Moore added 16 yards with one carry near the end of the first half, but he made a nice catch on a 5-yard TD that gave the Steelers a 7-0 lead.

WIDE RECEIVERS A

Nine receivers caught passes, headed by WR Antonio Brown, who had a career-high nine for 67 yards and a 7-yard touchdown. TE Heath Miller had seven catches for 85 yards, six on the first two series when the Steelers exploited blitzes by LB Brandon Spikes. Mike Wallace had five of his seven receptions in the first half and Emmanuel Sanders had a big 17-yarder on third-and-15 to keep alive a FG drive.

OFFENSIVE LINE B-

Roethlisberger was sacked five times, including twice on what should have been the final possession; most of the sacks came after holding the ball too long or stepping into pressure. The biggest came on third-and-goal at the Patriots 9, forcing the Steelers to settle for a field goal. The Steelers rushed for 98 yards on 23 carries, a 4.3-yard average, including 53 yards in the second half.

DEFENSIVE LINE B+

The Patriots had been averaging 124 yards rushing per game, but they finished with just 43 yards on 12 carries and never had a run longer than 9 yards. Of course, it didn't help that they got behind 10-0 and had just 50 offensive plays. DE Brett Keisel had a batted pass, but his biggest play was when he lined up on the left side and caused a strip-sack that resulted in a safety to secure the victory.

LINEBACKERS A

Already playing without two starters, the Steelers lost a third when LaMarr Woodley went out in the third quarter (hamstring) after getting two big sacks. It has been a dominating tear for Woodley, who has 7 1/2 sacks in the past four games without injured James Harrison. But rookie OLB Chris Carter's neutral-zone penalty on third-and-2 at the Steelers 7 kept alive the Patriots' final TD drive.

DEFENSIVE BACKS A

The league's No. 1 pass defense held AFC passing leader Tom Brady to 8 of 13 in the first half and 198 yards total, his lowest of the season by 91 yards. CB Ike Taylor was fabulous again, holding NFL receiving leader Wes Welker to six catches for 39 yards and even following him into the slot on third down. Ryan Clark had several big pass breakups but took an unnecessary helmet-to-helmet penalty on an out-of-bounds hit.

SPECIAL TEAMS B

You know it's a good day when P Daniel Sepulveda was not needed until just 19 seconds remained in the game. The coverage units were outstanding again, holding the Patriots to an average of 18.5 yards on four kickoff returns. But Shaun Suisham, who kicked three field goals, missed a 44-yard attempt with 6:03 remaining that could have given the Patriots a chance to win with two late TDs.

COACHING A+

Give all the credit to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who repeatedly crossed-up the Patriots by throwing out of a three-tight end, run formation and running out of multiple-receiver formation in the first half. That allowed Roethlisberger to keep the Patriots off balance and possess the ball for nearly 40 minutes. And D!ck LeBeau's defense held Brady and the Patriots to their lowest season totals.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11304...#ixzz1cMAdNmR0

Dee Dub
10-31-2011, 06:50 PM

Playing a lot of press, man to man, that is going to happen once in a while. But it is my opinion this kid is coming on very fast. To have two guys on the corners who can press and play man to man is going to make things a lot more fun for Coach LeBeau. Just think what it would be like if they added a free safety who could cover.

He is already special.

He has played a big part in it, but not all is on him. It has to do with cohesiveness as well. Playing together more than just one week as a unit is huge too. Also, Ramon Foster and Marcus Gilbert have been doing a great job as well.

Shawn
11-01-2011, 09:00 AM
IIRC, Woodley beat Vollmer on one (if not both of those sacks). Vollmer and Solder were supposed to be alternating series. But, I feel like I mostly saw Vollmer out there.

I know I seen Woodley beat Solder on one of those sacks. I also seen him manhandle him on several plays. One play he overpowered Solder and pushed him down to one knee. Solder was clearly outclassed.

Shawn
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Playing a lot of press, man to man, that is going to happen once in a while. But it is my opinion this kid is coming on very fast. To have two guys on the corners who can press and play man to man is going to make things a lot more fun for Coach LeBeau. Just think what it would be like if they added a free safety who could cover.

He is already special.

He has played a big part in it, but not all is on him. It has to do with cohesiveness as well. Playing together more than just one week as a unit is huge too. Also, Ramon Foster and Marcus Gilbert have been doing a great job as well.

I agree about Lewis. He reminds me of Taylor. Took awhile for him to "get it" but he is big and physical. He doesn't have Taylor type speed but he isn't slow. I think he is ready. And while Gay is having a good year as well, I still believe he is a better nickle back than a #2.

I agree Brown is special now. I like the kid alot. From an all around stand point I believe he could turn out to be the best WR on the team (in time). I don't think anyone including Miller or Wallace have better hands.

While Starks is certainly not the only reason for the improvement in the OL...it sure seemed to get better when he came back.

steelblood
11-02-2011, 08:35 AM

I know I seen Woodley beat Solder on one of those sacks. I also seen him manhandle him on several plays. One play he overpowered Solder and pushed him down to one knee. Solder was clearly outclassed.

Just rewatched the game.

Woodley did line up over Solder on his first sack. But, that is the one where he stunts and loops around to the interior and comes in between the center and the guard. On that play, Solder handles the tradeoff and blocks Hood well. The second sack was on Vollmer. In fact, even Keisel's sack/strip was on Vollmer.

I watched every play and the only time Woodley really beat Solder came on the play when he came up lame with the hammy in the third. Solder wasn't great, but he generally did his job when he was in there. I certainly wouldn't say he was abused.

7 UP
11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I guess Ill be the glass half empty guy. The biggest thing I noticed is that for a game we completely dominated, the score was awfully close in the 4th quarter.

1 Ben cant throw that pick. He just cant. That was his only bad pass of the game. but he seems to be good for at least one of those per game, and when it happens its costly.

2 Suisham cant miss that kick. Not in this game. Im not ready to cut the guy yet. But if Brady would have drove the Pats down to tie, how big would that miss have been?

3 Red Zone offense underperformed again. Its something that needs to be worked on. It seems like we always want to throw short of the endzone and try to YAC the ball in for a score. Redzone offense is the one thing preventing this offense from being one of the best ever.

These three things attributed to the score being 25 to 17 and not 31 to 10. It was the biggest win of the year, but I think theres a lot that can still be learned from the game.

SteelBucks
11-02-2011, 09:31 AM

It's not a matter of "if" but "when" he's going to cost us a game. His kickoffs are fine but it's 50/50 whether he's going to make anything outside of 40 yards.

ikestops85
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM

It's not a matter of "if" but "when" he's going to cost us a game. His kickoffs are fine but it's 50/50 whether he's going to make anything outside of 40 yards.

Your post is "money". :Agree wholeheartedly